• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

characters you DON'T want in smash

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Decidueye's design doesn't appeal to me, I'm not interested in an archer for the sake of having an archer, and not interested in a gen 7 newcomer for the sake of having a gen 7 newcomer.

I'm not the target audience for BoTW, so having more playable characters from them doesn't interest me. The one-off characters I mostly don't care about.

I usually just favor characters with history. They're characters longtime fans have spent years waiting for and it's gratifying to finally be able to play as them in Smash. I don't get that same feeling from a character who only appeared in a handful of recent games.
So, just to know, since you value characters with longtime history, do you want characters like King K. Rool, Ridley, and Issac?

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Interesting thread, surprised it remained civil for this long, let's hope it stays that way

Personally if I had to say what I don't want I'd have to say Toad/Captain Toad, Daisy, Bandana Dee (probably to a much lesser degree than the rest), Zero Suit Samus, any character from the more recent Fire Emblems, anyone from Xenoblade 2, Pichu, and Takamaru.

The Toads simply because I just don't like them, they sound annoying and from how much copy-pasting they've gone through any sort of potential connection to them aside from their voices being memed into oblivion. Captain Toad just feels far too similar to break that mold for me personally, even if the moveset video was actually pretty good.
Daisy honestly has nothing going for her for me, the only thing different about her is that she's more "energetic" and has a flower motif.
Bandana Dee, like I mentioned is actually the least "disliked" here I'd say, since I don't really mind the guy all that much, but at the same time there's just something that makes me feel like he shouldn't be in. Can't explain it, could very easily just be an irrational gut instinct, but it's there I guess.
Zero Suit Samus to me just doesn't feel like Samus, like it just doesn't make sense that actively putting herself into a more vulnerable state would actually make her just as powerful as in her suit. The worst part is is that when it was a thing, (much like how Sheik was in Melee), the Zero Suit was more of a one-off thing that you could play as ONCE in Zero Mission when you have to rely on stealth to survive and would be a bonus at the end of the games for doing well. Plus a plasma whip? Where did that even come from?
The Fire Emblem characters one as well as Xenoblade 2 characters one is very much my most biased ones and I know it. I just don't like how "anime" those games are, and I especially hate the sort of "waifu" thing that those games seemed to be encouraging. Maybe it's because I don't understand the games because I was never interested in them in the first place, but at the same time I just can't not hope in my mind that this stuff gets shafted for things I like (yeah that's extremely selfish and I know it, but opinions are opinions, I'm not trying to say this is what should be how Smash 6 is)
Pichu, like many other people said, is just not that original or interesting anymore, if you're going for another Pokemon, make it unique like my dumb guilty pleasure Mon Barbaracle.
Takamaru is just one of those characters I personally don't care for and I think we're fine with the amount of retro characters we have now (here's hoping Ice Climbers return). Nothing more to say really.

Do want to say though that at the end of the day, just my opinions, agree and disagree all you'd like, not here to start a flame war.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Well if you don't mind my asking then why not Takamaru? He's had a pretty interesting history with Nintendo.
Personally, I don't feel like he takes the samurai archetype in a creative direction.
So, just to know, since you value characters with longtime history, do you want characters like King K. Rool, Ridley, and Issac?
You know it. K. Rool and Ridley are necessary additions at this point, especially K. Rool. Isaac would be kinda cool.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Personally, I don't feel like he takes the samurai archetype in a creative direction.

You know it. K. Rool and Ridley are necessary additions at this point, especially K. Rool. Isaac would be kinda cool.
Alright, I feel the same way. I think if this Smash adds any two of those characters, and especially if all three, then pretty much every highly requested 'legendary' 1st party character would have been added; anything after that would just be awesome bonus.

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
Here the characters i do not want in Smash
Minecraft
Chorus Kids(Marshal is a better choice for Rhythm Heaven Character)
Dark Souls
Doomguy

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I would have to say on the following on characters I don't want.

Non-Video game characters - They are a financial nightmare. You would have to go through so many companies (and possibly their parent companies) that it would be not worth it. Also, in most cases, they usually inspire video game characters rather than make a huge gaming impact in of themselves. The joke aspects of these characters being requested is not funny to me anymore.

Other than that, I think I am mostly lenient with video game characters with one Nintendo appearance or more.

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
I hate the idea of Waluigi. But I also openly hated the idea of Duck Hunt Dog, back in the pre-brawl days, and HE got in.

Also, I think we have enough Fire Emblem characters. Well, we have enough FE SWORD wielders. If they want to bring in an axe or spear wielder, i'd be all for it. And I wouldn't hate if Lucina was replaced by Lyndis but given the same moves.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I got a couple I don’t want.

Waluigi- I really don’t understand the appeal for this guy, he really seems undeserving and dorsn’t bring enough merit to solidify a reason for why he should get added.

Paper Mario- It is really just Mario, Paper Mario doesn’t stand out from the regular Mario personality wise and his overall moveset doesn’t appeal to me to justify him getting in.

Geno- I understand, Super Mario RPG is a cult classic and has a lot of fans. But Geno really doesn’t stand out to me. I dislike his design, he has a bland personality, and he is a one off character of a side game. I just don’t see him getting in.

Mimikyu- I just don’t see the appeal for Mimikyu either. It seems more fit as a Pokeball pokemon that an actual character.

Simon Belmont- I honestly would rather have Snake come back as the sole Konami rep instead of getting a second character.

Most Indies except Quote- I honestly don’t like the idea of having Indies being apart of the Smash roster. Yeah they have played a part on the Nintendo Switch and even Wii U, but they never had a big enough splash to justify them getting in. The reason why I left quote out is because his series has been pretty big and has been successful ever since the Wii.

Andy- Not really a character I would outright not want, but I would rather have Will from Days of Ruin to be playable instead of Andy since I like his character and story more than any previous Advance Wars game and protagonist.

Last edited:

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
Ridley for god's sake!
I'm tired of people asking for him game after game.

Toad.
Just not a regular Toad. Captain Toad on the other hand, **** yeah!

Goku.
I LOVE Dragon Ball, but just don't get Goku or any anime character in Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

Is this thread allowed? Welp, might as well get it out of the way before it gets locked.
I generally try to be as open minded as I can about characters, so characters I don't want are typically characters I don't like outside of Smash context, among other reasons. With that out of the way, here's my list:
  • Mimikyu. This one should be no surprise to anyone who knows me. While I'm a Decidueye supporter, I'm not neccesarily opposed to other Gen 7 Pokemon getting in, but Mimikyu is one of the few options that I genuinely hate, mostly because of the fanbase. Pls keep it as a Pokeball.
  • Daisy. No, it's not because of her potential to be a clone (I'm fine with clones because they're just extras that don't take much development time, Daisy as a clone would actually be the best case scenario IMO). It's more of a case where I find her fanbase to be dreadfully annoying (If you've been around on her day in RTC, you know what I'm talking about), and also just don't like the character in general because she's just as annoying as her fans.
  • Sora. I don't like Kingdom Hearts, mostly because of its bad writing, but I also don't like Sora's design.
  • Minecraft Steve
  • Rabbids. I can't believe people actually seriously suggest them. They're like the Minions of gaming.
  • This one is conditional, but Marx. I like Marx and see a lot of potential in it, but it would feel like a huge slap in the face if he got in before Bandana Dee, and the fanbase admittedly soured me on the character. I wouldn't complain if we got both, but I don't see that happening right now.
There are others but those are my top 6. I don't feel like being overly negative so I'll stop here.
Also, as a general rule of thumb, I'd rather keep non-video game characters out of Smash, regardless of who they are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Ridley: too big.
Waddle Dee: just a Goomba with a hat and a boring weapon that would work better as an item
decloned Ganondorf: decloning in general is bad
any starter Pokemon: we have enough starters as is, how about a rock type instead?
Wario Land Wario: read my signature

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I am unbelievably happy about the return of Snake and the new characters really interest me as well.
Yknow, before they showed up in hi-def I wouldn't have wanted Young Link or Pichu back, but with over 60 characters and no cuts I'm perfectly fine with them now.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
Like astilpe astilpe said, anything disney touches becomes cancer. It angers and scares me beyond words that people want mickey mouse and wreck it ralph

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
Well, it looks like Waluigi is still just an assist trophy. So I guess I got my way there. But I didn't see Isaac as an AT so maybe i'll get my wish of his inclusion there too.

astilpe

Smash Rookie
I'd feel a lot less salty about Daisy if she wasn't on the poster and if Waluigi wasn't deconfirmed right off the bat.
how he got knocked out literally to show the mechanics was a clear message about how do they feel about the character

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'd feel a lot less salty about Daisy if she wasn't on the poster and if Waluigi wasn't deconfirmed right off the bat.
I'm not crazy about either and I'm not upset, but I am surprised Daisy made it. I was expecting the opposite or neither. Good for her fans, I suppose.

D

Deleted member

how he got knocked out literally to show the mechanics was a clear message about how do they feel about the character
I was thinking the exact same thing and it hurts.
I'm not crazy about either and I'm not upset, but I am surprised Daisy made it. I was expecting the opposite or neither. Good for her fans, I suppose.
I wasn't really expecting either of them to get in, but it still sucks that they closed the door for Waluigi so soon...
I'll get over it, though. There are characters I want more than Waluigi, anyway.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Lets be real, I seen some characters with the coolest supporters but I just cannot be found of the design of the character. This is what it ultimately come down to.

The fanbase only has as much to do with the character as you make it because, you never liked it to begin with.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
The only character I actively don't want in is Rex & Pyra, Xenoblade 2 was a good game but Rex is annoying and Pyra's boring and I hate both of their designs. Plus I want Elma in so that doesn't help lol.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Well, I'm glad. The only realistic character who I would have been genuinely angry to see get in, Waluigi, is already disconfirmed, and at this point, only a few possible newcomers would merely make me groan at the sight of them (namely Captain Toad, Mimikyu, and Isabelle), but I'd ultimately be alright as I'm at least OK with those characters getting in on principle.

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Me? I don't really care. As long as the character originated in a video game. I mean, ever since we got Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy and Ryu from Street Fighter, anything is possible. But, that doesn't mean anything is possible. If that makes any sense to you. I'll tell you who I don't want: Goku! Yeah, the games are popular, and that might be the only reason he gets in. (That is if he does) But if Goku gets in, requests for the dumbest characters like Shrek, Spongebob, Donald Trump, Barack Obama, Britney Spears, etc are gonna come pouring in. So, do I want Goku in Smash? 50/50

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Me? I don't really care. As long as the character originated in a video game. I mean, ever since we got Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy and Ryu from Street Fighter, anything is possible. But, that doesn't mean anything is possible. If that makes any sense to you. I'll tell you who I don't want: Goku! Yeah, the games are popular, and that might be the only reason he gets in. (That is if he does) But if Goku gets in, requests for the dumbest characters like Shrek, Spongebob, Donald Trump, Barack Obama, Britney Spears, etc are gonna come pouring in. So, do I want Goku in Smash? 50/50
Would you accept Abraham Lincoln?

Abraham.jpg

Who is a Nintendo character

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sigh I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers or annoy supporters of any characters. Honestly I'd be happy about any character getting in but I guess.

Shantae: I don't hate the series just don't particularly care for her.

Mimikyu: I'd be fine if any other Pokemon rep, got in I really want Decidueye in, and would be okay with Incineroar. Just don't want it.

A new Fire Emblem rep: Please no more we have enough, and this is coming from a new fan to Fire Emblem.

If any of them get in I'd be fine with it esspescially Mimikyu these are just the characters, I really don't want to see. Again just my option.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm mostly open to newcomers of all shapes and sizes at this point. With the full roster returning and Ridley in as my most desired character, I'm a King K. Rool away from being able to just accept about anything. That said, there are a few I don't want in Smash:

Steve - Including the character from Minecraft I feel misses the point of Minecraft, your playable avatar is just a vessel with no unique abilities to experience the worlds of Minecraft which are the real star. I'd accept a stage, sure. But a Minecraft character is not befitting of Minecraft, or really as a character in Smash in any way.

Mimikyu - Could have a potential unique move set, but Pokemon is so varied that I'd rather see so many other Pokemon than another referencing Pikachu...We already have Pikachu and Pichu in the game. Probably my most selfish of characters I don't want to see in Smash though honestly.

Sans - Undertale just got announced for Switch, and while he's an indie darling now, he doesn't share any prior history with Nintendo at this point, and other indie darlings deserve a place before him. If we were to even get an indie character, which I'm not sold on unless Shovel Knight just did exceptionally well during the Smash ballot.

Solaire - See Sans, game is too recent on Switch with no history on Nintendo. Wouldn't really call him super iconic in the way *most* third party reps need to be. He'd also likely be another Sword character, which everyone complains about already (Oh wait, most people don't want THAT specific sword character in the game or *insert character* because they don't like them. Fill the roster up with them for all i care as long as they do play uniquely)

Master Chief - I'm willing to let Banjo-Kazooie in the game, but Master Chief doesn't seem like a good fit for Smash. As much as I love Halo, he's a competitors main mascot and Halo has no history with Nintendo beyond that cancelled DS game. Banjo is a much better Microsoft related representative, and we already have Snake as our military man really. I honestly think he'd be awesome, but at the same time I really don't want him in Smash.

Any Anime Main Character (Goku, Naruto, Luffy, etc) - Don't really fit in Smash either, and I more don't ever want to open the floodgates for them with just one as much as I enjoy all of those characters independently in their anime and own games.

And honestly, if we get some of the bigger fan requests and still unrepresented Nintendo first party characters in first, screw it. Open the floodgates at that point because I'd be more than content anyway.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
The only character I actively don't want in is Rex & Pyra, Xenoblade 2 was a good game but Rex is annoying and Pyra's boring and I hate both of their designs. Plus I want Elma in so that doesn't help lol.
I totally feel this.
XC2 is like the culmination of everything I hate about anime (not saying anime is fundamentally bad, but there is a lot of bad anime).
The character designs especially piss me off. Their color schemes are really dull, the outfits are too cluttered and nonsensical (is that kid wearing propane tanks on his legs and a diver helmet as a hood????). Not to mention several female characters that look underage are HEAVILY sexualized. That's called pedophilia and is NEVER to be tolerated.
All that aside, the overall aesthetics of the artstyle in characters is incredibly generic and boring. I hated having to sit through this game during Nintendo Directs.

So yeah, I hope noone from XC2 makes it. At the very least not in the base roster, so I don't need to look at their ugly mugs when I select my character. If they're DLC I won't buy it, but beat up people who make the mistake of thinking these characters are good.

Boy, do I have a hate-boner for that game! :reverse:

UserKev

Smash Champion
To add: Shadow. He's just another "badass" Sonic. The chaos control potential he has is generic to. Honestly, if it isn't Tails, Egg or Knuckles, I really don't want to see ANYMORE Sonic reps. They all look the same.

Tingle: Nah. Ghirahim, Impa or Skull Kid.

Ninten: No. Why?

Anymore Fire Emblem reps. I'm not biased tho, if it wasn't for Mimikyu>Pokémon.

Golden Sun: Isaac. I don't get it.

Star Fox: Man I'm glad Krystal is an Assist.

Banjo and Kazooie: I don't see the appeal in this character. Played the game and couldn't see what the hype was about. Conker doesn't belong in Smash either.

No more third parties. Ok when I say this, I'm really sick of them. Cloud was the nail in the coffin. There's too many. This isn't Smash anymore. My brain hurts.

Etc

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
For me its mainly 3rd parties and especially characters like Cloud or Sora who's main games isn't even on a Nintendo system. I'm fine with character who are very iconic like Mega Man or has strong ties to the Nintendo systems like Chrono from Chrono Trigger.

I'm also against Waluigi. I have nothing against the character but its his fanbase. EVERY SINGLE POST on the Smash Bros facebook page has people commenting about how Waluigi isn't playable. They spam twitter pages comment sections on youtube and anywhere else. These people don't deserve to get what they want.

D

Deleted member

I'm also against Waluigi. I have nothing against the character but its his fanbase. EVERY SINGLE POST on the Smash Bros facebook page has people commenting about how Waluigi isn't playable. They spam twitter pages comment sections on youtube and anywhere else. These people don't deserve to get what they want.
Those people are a vocal minority among the Waluigi fanbase.
Don't generalize, man.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I don't want indie characters such as Shovel Knight, Quote, Shantae, Sans... I just don't. Except or Sega's characters the third party characters series existed during the arcade/ NES era... idk there's more long lived indie people don't give recognition too... Travis Touchdown, Cooking Mama, Metabee, Maybe like Level 5's Professor Layton... all would be far better indie reps.

I'm not a fan of the idea of Sora, just because of Disney...
It's a can of worms I don't even want remotely close to being opened.

Shadow The Hedgehog's ban wagon since the last direct... has me wishing his AT returns sooner rather then later. Although I'm not actually against his inclusion, and I wouldn't mind.

So far i'm pretty happy with the game sticking with Japanese owned properties. There's def some fond and lovable western properties out there... Crash and Rayman for example... but then my desire for more and more characters would be potentially endless. So I like having a line/ limit to keep my wants for this game in check. Plus as the roster is now, it's basically perfect... Plus I don't want like Minecraft Steveo or Rabids... and I know If I got Rayman and Crash... i'd def want Banjo... then that whole microsoft link opens... and I hate the company for it's business practices.. so idk.. I'd rather sacrifice the characters I love to prevent the characters I hate from getting in. :(

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Golden Sun: Isaac. I don't get it.

Banjo and Kazooie: I don't see the appeal in this character. Played the game and couldn't see what the hype was about.
What's to get? Golden Sun is a game that's great and people loved and so want the main character in the game. He's also got insane moveset potential.
As for Banjo he's first the face of Rare and second oozes charm. The game was a 3D platformer that was even better than Mario 64. Along with the kooky humor of the game, it's no wonder his appeal has lasted decades after Microsoft forced him to go dark. It's rather unfortunate you didn't care for the game but it's one of the best games on the N64 and Rare is the company that made just about everything worth playing on the 64 so he's also a character so many want to see in. Also he got a cool design and great moveset potential.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
This one is conditional. I'm fine with Mimikyu on its own, but if it takes after its anime incarnation personality-wise it should stay the hell away.

Banjo is another one. He's basically a washed-up has-been on par with Croc, Ty, and Bubsy at this point. Even Geno makes more sense.

And though he's not near these two yet, K. Rool is getting close to that point. I love K. Rool, but man, he probably has one of the most unpleasant over all support bases of any character. Ballot era and beyond was a nightmare and almost made me wish he'd never get in just to keep salty whiners from being rewarded. Still though, he has a lot of chill supporters and some small part of me would still like to see him. He's definitely not my most wanted DK newcomer anymore though. At this point he's probably behind Dixie, Funky, AND Cranky.
What did Banjo do to you to deserve such disdain? He's a precious backpacking bear that deserves all the love from two stupendously fun platforming games that still hold up to this day and that would translate completely well to Smash Bros. They were money makers for Nintendo 64 and continue to hold up to this day. It's not Banjo's fault Rare was sold to Microsoft and they screwed them up completely!

Also any new Fire Emblem characters that are just blue-haired swordsman/women with counters can kindly go sit in a corner please. I'm more okay with Fire Emblem now that Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon all have equal or more representatives in this game thanks to Sakurai bringing back every single veteran but if they bring in another Fire Emblem character, at least make them unique. I'd rather have three Links than three Marths.

What's to get? Golden Sun is a game that's great and people loved and so want the main character in the game. He's also got insane moveset potential.
As for Banjo he's first the face of Rare and second oozes charm. The game was a 3D platformer that was even better than Mario 64. Along with the kooky humor of the game, it's no wonder his appeal has lasted decades after Microsoft forced him to go dark. It's rather unfortunate you didn't care for the game but it's one of the best games on the N64 and Rare is the company that made just about everything worth playing on the 64 so he's also a character so many want to see in. Also he got a cool design and great moveset potential.
You're a-okay in my book, O-XIII <3

Last edited:

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
I have no hate for any videogame picks. I'd just be dissapointed if a literal Meme made it in.

D

Deleted member

At this point I can't imagine myself not rolling my eyes when Dark Samus is revealed. She has basically become the textbook character for both "Missing Assist Trophy = CONFIRMED!!!111!!" and "ECCHO EVERYTHING!!!". Now I just want her to be disconfirmed out of spite.
And yes, in case you're asking yourselves I'm also against other characters like Shadow who are in the same situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom