• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters on Sakurai's Poll

Rakath

Smash Ace
why not cloud? He was very popular on the play station console. And his game brought in a butt load of money....i don't know about u guys but i do wish they would put him in. He's flippin' awesome! Who's geno anyways? I've heard of him that people want him put in but i don't know what game he's from.
I think I've summed up why he's not exactly the most likely of characters.

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
Cloud is just going to far when it comes to 3rd Party Characters ... actually Master Chief is probably to far but Id Master Chief mostly cause he's cool and I actually LIKE the game he's in unlike the other guy but meh thats just me.

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
Didnt even notice that major grammar mistake I made there "but Id MasterCheif" ... wow that sounds homo but w/e I ment to say is "Id prefer MC" but yeah either way he's way out there and probably just turn all of those 360 owners into Wii60's ... Im one of those people but I owned a Wii first.

Anyone else think that Yoshi needs a partner from his crew? maybe Shyguy? or Birdo?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Only character I want to see is flower girl Lip. She at least need to be in the game.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
Was she on the Poll? overall with Lip I am "meh" Geno has gotta be in he has the most votes and is waiting to come, he has more then krystal after all...

NejiUchiha

Smash Cadet
I read on wikilpedia that some lady confirmed that she's recording the voice for Krystal in Brawl .....let me get the link.

Well I looked but i can't seem to find it, but i know i read it somewhere.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I read on wikilpedia that some lady confirmed that she's recording the voice for Krystal in Brawl .....let me get the link.

Well I looked but i can't seem to find it, but i know i read it somewhere.

You're right, it was on her homepage too, but then once fans started pointing it out, I believe Nintendo had her remove it.
There are a few screenshots left, and I know one of the links was posted on GameFAQs, but thats only if you want to wade through all of the "Furries suck!" topics.
-DD

susu_atari

Smash Ace
Does anybody else think that we're probably guaranteed any character with 3+ votes?
That would be Geno, Ridley, Olimar, Krystal, Takamaru and WW Link. Personally, regardless of whether you or I like them or not, I really don't think the game's going to be without them.

In fact, I think that a few of the characters with 2 votes are going to be there as well. Probably Claus, Demiru, Isaac and K.Rool.

N!co

Smash Rookie
Right after I had unlocked all the characters in Melee, I felt a little disappointed that a few certain characters weren't in the game, so I wrote a list of who I wanted in and I kept it very realistic.
When the Dojo site finally came out i checked that list and made a few minor changes to it.

Today, I give you that list;

Banjo (Banjo-Kazooie)
Diddy Kong (Donkey Kong) --CONFIRMED!
King K. Rool (Donkey Kong)
Poo (Earthbound)
Ike (Fire Emblem) --CONFIRMED!
Lyn (Fire Emblem) --AT!
Samurai Goroh (F-Zero) --AT!
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Pit (Kid Icarus) --CONFIRMED!
Meta Knight (Kirby) --CONFIRMED!
Cell-Shaded Link (Legend of Zelda)
Sheik (Legend of Zelda)
Ridley (Metroid)
Bowser Jr. (Mario)
Paper Mario (Mario)
Captain Olimar (Pikmin)
Ash (Pokemon) --CONFIRMED! (As Pokemon Trainer)
Meowth (Pokemon) --POKEBALL!
Lucario (Pokemon)
Sonic (Sonic) --CONFIRMED!
Krystal (Star Fox)
Wolf (Star Fox)
Wario (WarioWare) --CONFIRMED!

I have not changed this since the first update of the Dojo.
since then I would add King Dedede, Snake & Lucas and probably cut off Ridley, Banjo, King K. Rool & Poo.

What are your thoughts?

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
Does anybody else think that we're probably guaranteed any character with 3+ votes?
That would be Geno, Ridley, Olimar, Krystal, Takamaru and WW Link. Personally, regardless of whether you or I like them or not, I really don't think the game's going to be without them.

In fact, I think that a few of the characters with 2 votes are going to be there as well. Probably Claus, Demiru, Isaac and K.Rool.
I believe many people call the 3+ ones "shoe-ins".

626key

Smash Journeyman
I think I have the 27 most likely fighters (don't ask me how and it's not set in stone)
Luigi, bowser jr, paper mario, ganandorph, midna/ wolf link, ridley, lucario, jiggly puff, falco, krystal, ray (custum robo), captain falcon, ballon fighter, issac (golden sun), sakapan, game and watch, geno, tails, knuckles, rayman, sora, mega man, banjo/ kazoie, bomber man, pac man, captain olymar, and mii

White_Lightning

Smash Journeyman

I wouldn't be so sure about that. If what the Melee Poll results said was true, then only 7 of the top 20 most requested characters made it into SSBM. Its just something to keep in mind.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
I wouldn't be so sure about that. If what the Melee Poll results said was true, then only 7 of the top 20 most requested characters made it into SSBM. Its just something to keep in mind.
which were the 7 that made it again???

EDIT I know whose was in melee...but i just wanted the whole list of the 20 characters u mentioned (^^)v

White_Lightning

Smash Journeyman
which were the 7 that made it again???

EDIT I know whose was in melee...but i just wanted the whole list of the 20 characters u mentioned (^^)v
Here.

(1) Koopa [Super Mario series]: 169 (Bowser)
(2) Princess Peach [Super Mario series]: 66
(3) Wario [Super Mario series]: 65
(4) Great King Dedede [Kirby of the Stars series]: 46
(5) Ganon(dorf) [Legend of Zelda]: 36
(6) James Bond [GoldenEye 007]: 35
(6) Mewtwo [Pocket Monsters]: 35
(8) Banjo & Kazooie [Banjo & Kazooie's Big Adventure]: 33 ([Banjo-Kazooie])
(9) Kinopio [Super Mario series]: 27 (Toad)
(10) Mew [Pocket Monsters]: 24

(11) Marth [Fire Emblem]: 21
(12) Dosei-san [Mother 2]: 18 (Mr. Saturn [Earthbound])
(12) Satoshi (main character) [Pocket Monsters]: 18
(12) character from Fire Emblem [Fire Emblem]: 18
(15) Gooey [Kirby of the Stars series]: 17
(16) Diddy Kong [Donkey Kong series]: 15
(16) Sukapon [Joy Mecha Fight]: 15
(18) someone from Pokemon [Pocket Monsters]: 12
(19) Meta Knight [Kirby of the Stars series]: 11
(19) Lugia [Pocket Monsters]: 11

Anyway, of the 22 characters listed for Brawl, I'm guessing we'll get 10-12 of them.

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
I really dont expect these characters such as Paper Mario and Windwaker Link to join the brawl mostly cause there on inspired, really there just cheap knockoffs of the original (Well maybe not cheap but in Brawl they would be)

Also the amount of Pokemon announced right now is insanely high, we know of 2 100% , 1 which is guaranteed (Jigglypuff) and maybe Mewtwo might return, that right there is 4, If we also get Lucario that'd be insane thats why I believe its one of those 2 that are getting in not both.

Also did you guys see todays update? In the Video it shows Bowser as usually being a bad guy but what I believe he's using is a weapon supplied to him by The Embassy which means to me there will be mini bosses that are playable in game, and If you payed attention you would also see Wario holding the same weapon.

This is good news for those who want Mewtwo and Ridley to be PC mostly because now the can fill the roles as bad guys working as Minions for The Embassy and still BE Playable, but thats just my theory!

Boofer

Smash Ace
Here.

(1) Koopa [Super Mario series]: 169 (Bowser)
(2) Princess Peach [Super Mario series]: 66
(3) Wario [Super Mario series]: 65
(4) Great King Dedede [Kirby of the Stars series]: 46
(5) Ganon(dorf) [Legend of Zelda]: 36
(6) James Bond [GoldenEye 007]: 35
(6) Mewtwo [Pocket Monsters]: 35
(8) Banjo & Kazooie [Banjo & Kazooie's Big Adventure]: 33 ([Banjo-Kazooie])
(9) Kinopio [Super Mario series]: 27 (Toad)
(10) Mew [Pocket Monsters]: 24

(11) Marth [Fire Emblem]: 21
(12) Dosei-san [Mother 2]: 18 (Mr. Saturn [Earthbound])
(12) Satoshi (main character) [Pocket Monsters]: 18
(12) character from Fire Emblem [Fire Emblem]: 18
(15) Gooey [Kirby of the Stars series]: 17
(16) Diddy Kong [Donkey Kong series]: 15
(16) Sukapon [Joy Mecha Fight]: 15
(18) someone from Pokemon [Pocket Monsters]: 12
(19) Meta Knight [Kirby of the Stars series]: 11
(19) Lugia [Pocket Monsters]: 11

Anyway, of the 22 characters listed for Brawl, I'm guessing we'll get 10-12 of them.
Actually, this really makes me optimistic about the poll. Most of those characters are in the game in some form, though about half of them didn't come until Brawl.

Rakath

Smash Ace
I really dont expect these characters such as Paper Mario and Windwaker Link to join the brawl mostly cause there on inspired, really there just cheap knockoffs of the original (Well maybe not cheap but in Brawl they would be)
On the various Marios I agree, however a Windwaker/Cel Shaded Link (if done right) could be very different from the Adult Link we have. As long as Celda Link isn't clone moveset (Celda Link had a fair bit of his own moves).

Also the amount of Pokemon announced right now is insanely high, we know of 2 100% , 1 which is guaranteed (Jigglypuff) and maybe Mewtwo might return, that right there is 4, If we also get Lucario that'd be insane thats why I believe its one of those 2 that are getting in not both.
Pokemon (like Zelda and Mario) could easily have 5 characters. Got the popularity and the castsize to support it. Everytime someone says that 5 pokemon is crazy, god shatters a perfectly good Gamecube controller.

Also did you guys see todays update? In the Video it shows Bowser as usually being a bad guy but what I believe he's using is a weapon supplied to him by The Embassy which means to me there will be mini bosses that are playable in game, and If you payed attention you would also see Wario holding the same weapon.

This is good news for those who want Mewtwo and Ridley to be PC mostly because now the can fill the roles as bad guys working as Minions for The Embassy and still BE Playable, but thats just my theory!
Not rightly news, since we already seen Wario playin' the bad guyz. And havin' Bowser and Wario be all buddy buddy at the start of a plot-based adventure with Mario would be crazy.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Actually, this really makes me optimistic about the poll. Most of those characters are in the game in some form, though about half of them didn't come until Brawl.
The fact that Melee was rushed didn't help it, but as you can see, he has added characters who were suggested for Brawl. It also means that not all the high rankers will make it. I mainly think WW Link will just be a trophy similar to Paper Mario, and the 2ers may gets trophies and assist positions.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
why not cloud? He was very popular on the play station console. And his game brought in a butt load of money....i don't know about u guys but i do wish they would put him in. He's flippin' awesome! Who's geno anyways? I've heard of him that people want him put in but i don't know what game he's from.
Keyword....Playstation. What has Cloud done for Nintendo consoles? Absolutely nothing.

Snake had the Metal Gear series on the NES, and the first Metal Gear Solid was remade for Gamecube. The Sonic Adventure series and other Sonic games have appeared on Nintendo consoles for some time, with the Wii even getting in its own exclusive in Sonic and the Secret Rings or whatever the hell it's called.

Again, I ask you why Cloud should be here. He's from the most overrated Final Fantasy of all time. His only appearance on a Nintendo console was so minor it shouldn't even be counted. He wasn't even the main character, Sora was. All Sora did was summon him to do an attack and just like that, he's done. This game will do fine without Cloud. Give us a Square Enix character that actually means something to Nintendo's history, like Cecil from Final Fantasy 4 or Crono from Chrono Trigger.

626key

Smash Journeyman
If you ask me, he is going to reveal any more starting fighters a week or two before the Japan release

NejiUchiha

Smash Cadet
Keyword....Playstation. What has Cloud done for Nintendo consoles? Absolutely nothing.

Snake had the Metal Gear series on the NES, and the first Metal Gear Solid was remade for Gamecube. The Sonic Adventure series and other Sonic games have appeared on Nintendo consoles for some time, with the Wii even getting in its own exclusive in Sonic and the Secret Rings or whatever the hell it's called.

Again, I ask you why Cloud should be here. He's from the most overrated Final Fantasy of all time. His only appearance on a Nintendo console was so minor it shouldn't even be counted. He wasn't even the main character, Sora was. All Sora did was summon him to do an attack and just like that, he's done. This game will do fine without Cloud. Give us a Square Enix character that actually means something to Nintendo's history, like Cecil from Final Fantasy 4 or Crono from Chrono Trigger.
I thought that they were picking characters by popular vote NOT what they have done for nintendo. Wasn't Sonic like against nintendo or something. Like when people say sonic vs. mario. Isn't sonic representing sega and mario nintendo. He's probably taken money, even a little away from nintendo and yet they still put him in. Why? Because he was wanted. And yes i know cloud didn't make it on the poll, but either way i'm just saying. I already know he's not going to get put in the game. It's my opinion because he's one of my favorite characters.

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
I thought that they were picking characters by popular vote NOT what they have done for nintendo. Wasn't Sonic like against nintendo or something. Like when people say sonic vs. mario. Isn't sonic representing sega and mario nintendo. He's probably taken money, even a little away from nintendo and yet they still put him in. Why? Because he was wanted. And yes i know cloud didn't make it on the poll, but either way i'm just saying. I already know he's not going to get put in the game. It's my opinion because he's one of my favorite characters.
No offense but your seriously mistaken, They ARE picking characters because of popularity but also they MUST have been on Nintendo's system in one point of time. At least thats the new rule for qualification to Brawl anyway.

Also Sonic was an enemy to Nintendo, but Sega now is dead, and lives on through Nintendo so now there homies, and homies back each other up in their time of need and where also to back Nintendo but in Brawl.

Also Snake got in on both those rules above but also the Metal Gear guy is homies with our very own Mr.Sakurai and he asked him to pull some strings and get his main man in the game. Hopefully this will make Konami's crew to dish out a Metal Gear for Wii or something cool and original.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
No offense but your seriously mistaken, They ARE picking characters because of popularity but also they MUST have been on Nintendo's system in one point of time. At least thats the new rule for qualification to Brawl anyway.

Also Sonic was an enemy to Nintendo, but Sega now is dead, and lives on through Nintendo so now there homies, and homies back each other up in their time of need and where also to back Nintendo but in Brawl.

Also Snake got in on both those rules above but also the Metal Gear guy is homies with our very own Mr.Sakurai and he asked him to pull some strings and get his main man in the game. Hopefully this will make Konami's crew to dish out a Metal Gear for Wii or something cool and original.
Where did Sakurai EXPLICITLY STATE THIS?

No offense, but Smashboarders have a reputation for making up arbitrary deconfirmation rules.

Still, it's not just popularity, ultimately Sakurai makes the decisions, and it's very unlikely he would pick to place a character that never appeared on a Nintendo system, but it could happen. He's definitely been known to use WTF characters.

vesperview

Smash Hero

No offense, but Smashboarders have a reputation for making up arbitrary deconfirmation rules.

Still, it's not just popularity, ultimately Sakurai makes the decisions, and it's very unlikely he would pick to place a character that never appeared on a Nintendo system, but it could happen. He's definitely been known to use WTF characters.
Sakurai's Journal translation thread FTW?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Sakurai's Journal translation thread FTW?
Really, this is actually what it says?

If so, I'm flabbergasted, a Smashboards deconfirmation rule that actually is confirmed by Sakurai! This has got to be a miracle.

Could you give me a link though? Japanese version, no English, I can read Japanese so it's much better for me to see the the raw version instead of a potentially flawed translation.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Really, this is actually what it says?

If so, I'm flabbergasted, a Smashboards deconfirmation rule that actually is confirmed by Sakurai! This has got to be a miracle.

Could you give me a link though? Japanese version, no English, I can read Japanese so it's much better for me to see the the raw version instead of a potentially flawed translation.
I'm fairly sure you have your causality reversed. That the rule was confirmed by Sakurai before we all picked it up. But either way IT MAKES SENSE.

Smash Bros is not just a game, its an advertisement for other series. I went into SSB only being a Kirby, lightweight Zelda, and Pokemon fan (I had heard of the other series, but generally ignored them). Afterwards I tried out Starfox, Metroid, and Earthbound. Melee made me want to pick up Fire Emblem. I'm sure that other game sales are at least considered when choosing new reps.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I'm fairly sure you have your causality reversed. That the rule was confirmed by Sakurai before we all picked it up. But either way IT MAKES SENSE.

Smash Bros is not just a game, its an advertisement for other series. I went into SSB only being a Kirby, lightweight Zelda, and Pokemon fan (I had heard of the other series, but generally ignored them). Afterwards I tried out Starfox, Metroid, and Earthbound. Melee made me want to pick up Fire Emblem. I'm sure that other game sales are at least considered when choosing new reps.

But the point I'm making is that people tend to consider their interpretations absolute. Often it's if they don't like a character but they take the barest of facts and attempt to spin a deconfirmation rule out of it. Generally it has some substance, and of course it does make sense. I'm not saying that I expect a legion of PS exclusive characters, or even one.

I am saying that 0% is an absolute, and deconfirmation means "confirmed to not be in", not extremely unlikely and a terrible longshot, but confirmed to not be in the game.

Sure, as I said, the rules often make sense, but if anything has had any treatment less then explicit deconfirmation or confirmation, it's chances of having been chosen are are in the range (0%,100%), as opposed to [0%,0%] for explicit deconfirmations like Lyn (*cries*) or [100%,100%] for explicit confirmations like Sonic (yay). Notice the difference in bracketing styles, "(" and ")" means that you don't include the actual numbers, the range starts an immensely tiny amount over.

So being covered under these might "rules" might make a character on the low end of that scale like .000000000000032% chance, but no amount amount of deduction ever makes a 0% chance, or a 100% chance.

Ever.

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice

Nintendo: Did Nintendo approach Konami about Super Smash Bros. or was it the other way around?

Masahiro Sakurai: Actually, what really brought about the Snake character was from a conversation I was having back when I was developing the Smash Bros. game for GameCube when Hideo Kojima phoned me and practically begged me to put Snake in the game, saying please, put him in there, I want him in there! But at that time we were already deep in development and I was thinking I wasn't able to get him in there and that we'd probably be making another Smash Bros. game afterward, so I kind of gave up on the idea and said it's too bad you hadn't brought this up earlier. And that was kind of the end of the story. But when this project came up, because Mr Kojima had contacted me, we reinitiated talks and managed to put Snake in this time. It's not so much a corporate level discussion but really more on a personal level between myself and Mr Kojima, but obviously a lot of people have been interested in the introduction of other characters in the Smash Bros. games, and Sonic has been brought up many, many times. Part of it is you have to have someone you can trust to take care of your character and do your character good, so we're looking at various possibilities. There are probably possibilities for other third-party characters as well, and it may be that even now there are corporate discussions going on at a high level about what characters to include, but maybe we'll talk to you about that a little bit later. Right now Snake is the only third-party character that has been confirmed for Super Smash Bros., but I think because we've announced Snake is in Super Smash Bros. that might open up opportunities for other third-party characters to also be included. But more than anything it's not just about having a character, but about having a character that's going to be fun to have in there.
-----

BAM there you have it, not making nothing up.

Exactly what I said but just with out the homies and other hip words.

It doesn't confirm the whole Nintendo only thing but does prove the other part of my statement, nonetheless I DID HERE IT SOMEWHERE, I just dont remeber exactly where... but I didn't make it up ... I just can't remeber.

Also here is the link everyone is talking about

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=117764

Theres your proof ... its not the Japenese version but I wouldn't be able to find that due to the fact I wouldn't be able to read if it were the write one.

BTW is the word *** banned? J.A.P? cause it keeps getting stared for me

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
But the point I'm making is that people tend to consider their interpretations absolute. Often it's if they don't like a character but they take the barest of facts and attempt to spin a deconfirmation rule out of it. Generally it has some substance, and of course it does make sense. I'm not saying that I expect a legion of PS exclusive characters, or even one.

I am saying that 0% is an absolute, and deconfirmation means "confirmed to not be in", not extremely unlikely and a terrible longshot, but confirmed to not be in the game.

Sure, as I said, the rules often make sense, but if anything has had any treatment less then explicit deconfirmation or confirmation, it's chances of having been chosen are are in the range (0%,100%), as opposed to [0%,0%] for explicit deconfirmations like Lyn (*cries*) or [100%,100%] for explicit confirmations like Sonic (yay). Notice the difference in bracketing styles, "(" and ")" means that you don't include the actual numbers, the range starts an immensely tiny amount over.

So being covered under these might "rules" might make a character on the low end of that scale like .000000000000032% chance, but no amount amount of deduction ever makes a 0% chance, or a 100% chance.

Ever.
Sorry for double posting, I never got a chance to read all of the post's before responding so now I gotta do it again.

Ok, now your just sort of avoiding the obvious truth here, you just could have said, my bad I was wrong it is a rule I thought you were making it up but instead you busted out a theory of how nothing has 0% chance ... do you see where Im getting at here? Just accept that its a rule and move on you dont got to try defend yourself on something so stupid ... I hope thats not a banned word but if it is you can make it out, im pretty sure.

well that is all on that topic

WHO WANTS TO DISCUSS RAY O1 SOME MORE?!?!?!

626key

Smash Journeyman
Not to change the subject, but who is the least likely possibility for brawl that is still possible?
I'm going to say shadow mario

Top Bottom