• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters on Sakurai's Poll

HourglassMemory

Smash Journeyman
I am SO GLAD he is considering King DeeDeeDee.
I wonder if these are his last characters left.
Like, he has chosen all the main new characters... and then he was left with these ones you see....and he's trying to find out which ones get more "votes".
Maybe after this he'll start working hard on the actual game play and character development and the music and all of that.
He probably wants to get through with the characters first

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
also, that's megaman X, not megaman. i'm hoping for old school megaman, not X. the submission was for Megaman (Rockman), not Rockman X. the japanese are usually pretty accurate about that kind of stuff.

i don't know if these are his favs, but i think they are. i trust Sakurai enough that if he puts in any punch-out character, that he will put in Mac.

i'd be happy with most of those people (barring the Japanese only chars that i know nothing about, and Prof. K), but Ridley is still a must, and i gotta have sonic.

thanks for the pics, btw!

BentoBox

Smash Master
Heh, I found those pics ugly thus why I posted the ones above :p. They're all megamans to me~

And I still don't get why you people want ridley in so much...

As a boss maybe. But as a playable character, definately not..

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
i'm sure this has been posted before, but just see the Melee opening. that Ridley is more than fine. and again, if you played Metroid on the NES, he wasn't huge. he was about the size in your drawing that you mark as "wrong." ;) which, as it turns out, is right. =)

they change his size constantly. they can do it again. Samus needs her primo villain, and Mother Brain just won't cut it. ;)

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
HourglassMemory said:
I am so glad he is considering King DDD.
I wonder if these are the only characters. He's thinking of adding. He probably has chosen all the other new characters hasn't he? Now he's just picking up the last pieces....
i don't think so. i got the impression from E3 that things were still very open and in development, which is why he wanted to get in touch with the fans.

MeLeo

Smash Cadet
kilroy said:
it may not mean anything in the end, but i think it does say something since these are the entries Sakurai is choosing to present to the public.

references are:

Megaman
Claus from MOTHER 3
Lucas from MOTHER 3
I hope they don't add those Earthbound wannabe characters from Mother 3. The original Earthbound for the SNES is the only true Earthbound (not the Mother series in Japan), and I feel only characters from Earthbound should be chosen.

Mr.Starone

Smash Cadet
The size argument is the worst arguemtn ever. Kirby is supposed to be 8 inches tall. They sized him up. Why not size down Ridley?

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
MeLeo said:
I hope they don't add those Earthbound wannabe characters from Mother 3. The original Earthbound for the SNES is the only true Earthbound (not the Mother series in Japan), and I feel only characters from Earthbound should be chosen.

huh. why do you think this? i've never played Earthbound/Mother, i'm just curious.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
you know what? scratch what i said about not having X.

what they should do is go the alternate costume route for him. one classic, one X, one EXE.

man, some characters in this game really need alternate costumes. samus most notably, and i'd be happy if they gave wario his old duds, too.

MeLeo

Smash Cadet
kilroy said:
huh. why do you think this? i've never played Earthbound/Mother, i'm just curious.
The original Earthbound was called Mother in Japan. That is the game from where Ness is from, along with the three other main characters named Paula, Jeff, and Poo. There was originally going to be an Earthbound 2 for the N64 (which is the only reason why they put Ness in SSB), but the project was cancelled.

Instead, they created Mother 2 released in Japan only, which had a completely different story line and completely different characters from Earthbound. Mother 3 also shares no connection with Earthbound. I still have the original Earthbound for the SNES, and I feel only characters from Earthbound should be considered. Ness is from Earthbound, and his teammates from Earthbound should be the only ones that appear in SSBB.

It would be an insult to Earthbound and to Ness to add characters from the Mother series in Japan to SSBB. Not only that, but I feel the storyline from Earthbound was great, and I was so angry when they cancelled the Earthbound 2 project for the N64. Now that Ness is already in the SSB series, only characters in his game should be added. Paula, Jeff, and Poo were created with Ness and they would be perfect additions to the game.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
MeLeo said:
The original Earthbound was called Mother in Japan. That is the game from where Ness is from, along with the three other main characters named Paula, Jeff, and Poo. There was originally going to be an Earthbound 2 for the N64 (which is the only reason why they put Ness in SSB), but the project was cancelled.

Instead, they created Mother 2 released in Japan only, which had a completely different story line and completely different characters from Earthbound. Mother 3 also shares no connection with Earthbound. I still have the original Earthbound for the SNES, and I feel only characters from Earthbound should be considered. Ness is from Earthbound, and his teammates from Earthbound should be the only ones that appear in SSBB.

It would be an insult to Earthbound and to Ness to add characters from the Mother series in Japan to SSBB. Not only that, but I feel the storyline from Earthbound was great, and I was so angry when they cancelled the Earthbound 2 project for the N64. Now that Ness is already in the SSB series, only characters in his game should be added. Paula, Jeff, and Poo were created with Ness and they would be perfect additions to the game.
i hear what you're saying. what is it about the story of Mother 2 & 3 that isn't good?

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
Smashmaniac_91 said:
I don't know any one of those characters... That kinda sucks.

surely you know some of them, right? i mean, megaman at least. right?

who were you looking for?

Mr.Starone

Smash Cadet
Actually the SNES Earthbound was actually Mother 2. The origional Mother was on the NES but wasn't released in the states and had no connection to Mother 2 (Earthbound) except for the villian.

MeLeo

Smash Cadet
kilroy said:
i hear what you're saying. what is it about the story of Mother 2 & 3 that isn't good?
Well not that the story of Mother 3 is not good, just that it's not as good (in my opinion) as the story of the original Earthbound and that Mothers 1 & 3 are not related to the original Earthbound.
*Edit* My mistake, I didn't realize that the Earthbound 2 that was scheduled to be made for the N64 was actually Mother 1 (a prequel). *Edit*

BETA

Smash Ace
Kalas?! Please, please let it be. Kalas would be an awesome addition to the SSB universe. I loved Baten Kaitos, even the music. If there's a BK level in there, it better have a song from the game in it. Please, Sakurai, put Kalas in there!

<EDIT> And who is Doctor Pepper? The best I can come up with is that it's a mistranslation of General Pepper, from Star Fox.

Master_Sheik

Smash Journeyman
Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi Boshi

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
kilroy, STOP DOUBLE POSTING.

That applies to you too, Plomid.

Boshi sucks. A lot. Seriously, Boshi is lame. He's Yoshi... but he's got sunglasses! That's not a separate character.

BentoBox said:
As a boss maybe. But as a playable character, definately not..
Seriously, worst argument ever. Have you ever played Super Mario Sunshine? Bowser is about 20 stories tall in that game. Sure, he's not the same size in all games he appears in, but that's kind of my point, isn't it?

Saying Ridley is too big is a ridiculous "argument."

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Boshi sucks. He's like "Poochie" from The Simpsons: A stupid character with "attitude". He could bea costume for Yoshi... otheriwse, he would suck. There's no excuse for how bad a character Boshi would make. omfwtfsharkfinhemustbekool.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Don't know if this was said... but isn't that just the list of stuff users have submitted to theJapanese site? You can even see their nicknames there O_o

Master_Sheik

Smash Journeyman
OMG, you guys are vultures. It was just a suggestion! I would be more than happy to see Boshi as an alternate costume of Yoshi's as Daisy is in Peach's. However, I think that this should also be the case for Mario and Dr. Mario......but as long as clones are around, I think that Boshi would offer a unique move set paralleled to Yoshi's. Take young link for example, although he was essentially the same character as Link, he offered an entirely different feel. Better yet, how about Birdo.....I suppose you guys would make her a costume too! LOL, really and truly, I wouldn't mind seeing Yoshi vomit eggs all over the place, but seriously, STOP BASHING BOSHI! ~~Master_Sheik out.

The_TooCool_Master

Smash Apprentice
Mr.Starone said:
The size argument is the worst arguemtn ever. Kirby is supposed to be 8 inches tall. They sized him up. Why not size down Ridley?
Ridley can be Bowser's size and constantly fly so he's going to look bigger than regular characters. Bowser was downsized too anyway.

BentoBox

Smash Master
McFox said:
kilroy, STOP DOUBLE POSTING.

That applies to you too, Plomid.

Boshi sucks. A lot. Seriously, Boshi is lame. He's Yoshi... but he's got sunglasses! That's not a separate character.

Seriously, worst argument ever. Have you ever played Super Mario Sunshine? Bowser is about 20 stories tall in that game. Sure, he's not the same size in all games he appears in, but that's kind of my point, isn't it?

Saying Ridley is too big is a ridiculous "argument."
Actually, it might be just me but I really do not see myself playing as Ridley. It seems like most people here only give their votes towards a certain character because they "look" cool and because they're an icon in the video game history... He sure did mark my youth aswell and I do love Ridley... but it just doesn't seem right to me. A bit like Snake not fitting in the whole cartoonish atmosphere which is conveyed in ssbm, y'know? >_> (I have nothing agaisnt him, btw). I'd rather play as a space pirate or a chozo than ridley...

But I guess I'm the only one who thinks so~

Master_Sheik

Smash Journeyman
Actually, Bento, I agree with you. I'm having mixed feelings about Ridley myself, but when it comes to characters in the SSB franchise, I say the more, the merrier. Mark my words, Sonic will be in this game! YAY!

Mr.Starone

Smash Cadet
The_TooCool_Master said:
Ridley can be Bowser's size and constantly fly so he's going to look bigger than regular characters. Bowser was downsized too anyway.

I can't tell, are you for or against Ridley?

The_TooCool_Master

Smash Apprentice
Mr.Starone said:
I can't tell, are you for or against Ridley?

I'm all for Ridley. I'd love playing as him. Like I said, he could be about Bowser's size and like Mewtwo, he could constantly be levitating. He'd get a bunch of claws and fireball attacks and would be able to fly back like Kirby, Puff, Pit and Metaknight(That's starting to make a lot though, doesn't it?).

Anyway, I'm supporting Ridley at 100%.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
If you don't think he fits in with the series, fine. I disagree, but whatever.

But please, don't tell me he's "too big."

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
G-Red from Gotcha Force? Are you serious? I love that idea in the very sense that it's totally obscure and G-Red CAN fit in.

burrito

Smash Lord
The_TooCool_Master said:
I do believe these are the suggestions he prefers, not the one he's proposing.
Quoted for emphasis.

It's not even the character ideas he likes. There probably suggestions that he wanted to point out. For example, He probably thought that professor was a funny idea, but wouldn't actually consider adding him. You guys are taking these too seriously.

Master_Sheik

Smash Journeyman
McFox, Boshi does not suck! You're just angy becasue he could run circles around you! LOL
~~Master_Sheik out.

Top Bottom