• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Weight Classes - backed by in-game data

xc_hawk

Smash Rookie
Peach has all those turnips, bob-ombs, mr. saturns, beam swords, a tennis racket, a golf club, a frying pan, and a toad weighing her down. Leave Peach alone.
Peach pulls a lot of that stuff from the ground, but you still have a point. (which also begs the question of where she puts it all, much like Link's invisible bottomless bag of bombs)

This is good news, it seems many of the better characters also come with lighter weight.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Thanks for the list, t!mmy. At least this is better than that other weight list where it had Snake heavier than Bowser. This proves that Sakurai was right yet again in stating that Bowser is still the heaviest. Also, Mario's weight didn't surprise me as much since he's a well-balanced character. Looks like that Italian plumber knows how to keep in shape. That's my main! :laugh:

Emir Kirena

Smash Rookie
Does this list include size-changing mechanics? Would Bowser deal more damage if he was Super Mushroomed before being shot out?

AlbinoMonk

Smash Cadet
How did Peach stay out of the "very-heavy" range? She's a blimp!

Seriously though, this is interesting. I never would have thought that you could get data out of kirby spitting people.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
this is a very interesting post, thanks, im surprised that samus and snake are that heavy

Kruton

Smash Ace
Yeah, this looks like the most accurate wight classing I've seen. (wtf with the one that had Snake as the second heaviest haha)

Good work.

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
Rediculous! Wolf?! a heavier character?

From what we've seen already, Wolf deals more damage than Fox or Falco, but isn't considered a lightweight? That's rather unfair.

The info seems truthful, I'm just disappointed that Wolf is turning out to be so much better than expected. I want to main Fox, but it seems futile if Wolf continues to outclass him in everything but reflector usage.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Nice find!

Kind of contradicts the general opinion that Jigglypuff can now take significantly more damage, now that her size has been restored to the 64 version (and supposedly, she's heavier).

Oh well. It makes her that much more appealing to use, I suppose.

XD I would have thought Peach got lighter, after all, she removed whatever bricks she kept in her dress to make her old Dsmash do 70%+ damage. Or maybe it's because she has an entirely new dress... *speculates*

SuperDoodleMan

Smash Ace
No offense, but horizontal kill power is way more accurate for figuring out weight. I've taken the liberty of using that japanese scan at brawlcentral, which used Mario's f-smash from the center of FD, and reorganized them within the weight tiers. Secret characters, having been omitted from the scan's test, are placed at the end of each tier, since it's unknown (but relatively easily found out) where they really rank within that tier.

Very Heavy (18%)
Bowser (Koopa)
Donkey Kong
Dedede, King

Heavy (17%)
Samus
Charizard

Ganondorf
Snake

Medium-Heavy (16%)
Yoshi
Wario
Ike
Link

R.O.B.
Captain Falcon
Wolf

Medium (15%)
Mario

Lucario
Luigi
Ivysaur
Sonic

Medium-Light (14%)
Ice Climber
Pit
Lucas
Diddy Kong
Peach

Toon Link
Ness

Light-Weight (13%)
Zelda
Olimar
Sheik

Marth

Very Light-Weight (12%)
Zero Suit Samus
Kirby
Pikachu
Meta Knight
Fox

Falco
Squirtle

Feather-Weight (11% or less)
(11%) Mr. Game & Watch
( 9% ) Jigglypuff (Purin)

As you may have noticed, Squirtle and Ivysaur's placings are considered unknown. That's because the brawlcentral scan listed them two tiers heavier and three tiers lighter, respectively, than t!MmY's list. Obviously their experiment was tainted by using an elemental attack, which Squirtle and Ivysaur react to differently.

the gatherer

Smash Rookie
Rediculous! Wolf?! a heavier character?

From what we've seen already, Wolf deals more damage than Fox or Falco, but isn't considered a lightweight? That's rather unfair.

The info seems truthful, I'm just disappointed that Wolf is turning out to be so much better than expected. I want to main Fox, but it seems futile if Wolf continues to outclass him in everything but reflector usage.
yeah but wolf's recovery is gimped.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
As you may have noticed, Squirtle and Ivysaur's placings are considered unknown. That's because the brawlcentral scan listed them two tiers heavier and three tiers lighter, respectively, than t!MmY's list. Obviously their experiment was tainted by using an elemental attack, which Squirtle and Ivysaur react to differently.
Wow you're right! The elemental attack being Mario's fsmash (fire). IIRC, in pokemon Water counters Fire and Fire counters Grass, which is why Squirtle didn't fly as far and Ivysaur flew much farther.

I wonder if there are more elemental attack effects or if it's just the pokemon? :confused:

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
And yet another respectable member of Smashboards looking at the BASICS of the game engine instead of coming up with crappy Advance techs to name after himself. Good job. :bee:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
BTW, I tested King Dedede's star-shot and it seems to deal the same damage as Kirby's.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I agree. The person with the "Compilation of New Techniques/Discoveries" thread needs to have this on his post so that it doesn't keep getting lost in all the spam.

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
I would assume that you both took Stale Moves into account, so as not to skew results? Just double checking... :3

Charoo

Smash Champion
the game also have different property for sending horizontal and vertical ways too. Like fox is light in melee but clearly he survives a whole lot longer if you try to kill him upwards (from another fox's upsmash). Fox is clearly lighter than peach but peach dies faster vertically (just watch any melee matches for proof).

We need another list that shows the vertical killing too.

Draenic gamer

Smash Cadet
Thanks, T!mmy, I plan on doing a smallscale Brawl Tourney by weight class(Featherweight, Middleweight, and Overweight). This'll help alot!

SlickSlicer

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, unfortunately mr. game and watch's light weight is one of his greatest weaknesses. He gets launched SUPER easily. You can down+a in the air to reduce the effect a bit, but it doesn't always work. :(

I didn't even realize that g&w was one of the lightest characters until I read it in some guide. Before that I figured that kirby, jigglypuff, pikachu, squirtle, toon link and others would be much lighter.

Top Bottom