• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character WEIGHT Affects Vertical Knockback MUCH more significantly than in Melee

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
sorry if this has been discusssed. I didn't see it in a search.

I did a few tests in Training Mode and discovered that weight actually affects vertical knockback fairly considerably. If you will remember, in Melee, character weight had almost no affect on vertical knockback, if any at all, for example, Samus was a heavy character, and Kirby was a very light character, but they still died vertically at about the same percentage.

so I created a stage which was basically a long pit and made a drop through platform at the top of it and had some character drop through at the same time

(another thing i've discovered is that every character seems to drop through ledges at the same speed...i haven't tested this with every single character though, so don't quote me yet),
EDIT: This is incorrect

and i tested falling speed with this.

Among other things, i discovered that Link and DK fall at pretty much the exact same speed. I have no way of seeing if this is frame perfect, but according to the human eye there's no difference in their speeds.

However, on Final Destination, Link dies from Fox's Upsmash at 100% and DK dies at 108%, meaning DK must weigh more and his weight is affecting the knockback. Now Fox's Upsmash isn't DIRECTLY vertical, and its possible that the slight horizontal of the knockback is what causes the weight to come into play, but its so slight i'm not sure.

Similarly, and perhaps a better example, Samus falls much slower than Kirby. But Kirby dies from Fox's upsmash at 82% on FD, and Samus dies from the same move at 97%. Fox falls much faster than them both, but he dies at the same percentage as Kirby. So its safe to conclude that Mew2King's method of calculating Fall Speed in Melee (calculating the percentage at which they die from a vertical attack), won't work in Brawl, and that the character weight affects vertical knockback.

I will continue doing tests and attempt to make a full list of every character's weight and fall speed.

Umby

Smash Master
I got confused a little. Are you implying that a specific character's falling speed are directly correlated to their weight?

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
I got confused a little. Are you implying that a specific character's falling speed are directly correlated to their weight?
not necessarily, but it can effect how well they survive vertical death by things like juggling... right?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Weight so did affect vertical knockback. A good 10-20% in Melee was worth tons. Peach is floatier than Kirby, yet she survives for longer. Why? Weight.

Fastest

Smash Ace
Weight made a big difference in Melee.

The thing that made a bigger difference, however, was fall speed. Which would explain the Samus vs. Kirby scenario you describe. If you do the math you'll understand.

Fall speed isn't taken into account anymore.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)

The thing that made a bigger difference, however, was fall speed. Which would explain the Samus vs. Kirby scenario you describe. If you do the math you'll understand.

Exactly.

Weight isn't more important, fall speed just makes less of a difference.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
No, but incidentally in Brawl, character who weigh more GENERALLY fall faster, unlike melee, but some characters break the trend like Fox, who is light but falls fast, or samus who is heavy, but falls slow.
I'm just saying that unlike Melee, falling speed isn't the only factor that determines vertical knockback.

Weight so did affect vertical knockback. A good 10-20% in Melee was worth tons. Peach is floatier than Kirby, yet she survives for longer. Why? Weight.
Peach and Kirby's fall speed are nearly the same, so that's not much of a good example. And you're incorrect anyway. Vertically, they die at relatively the same percents, if not a 1 or 2 percent difference.

Consider that Bowser outweight Fox by A LOT, yet died much quicker vertically than Fox did. If weight matter even slightly, the difference wouldn't be so large.

Weight didn't make a big difference in terms of vertical knockback.

Fall speed does matter to some extent, but i'm not sure how much it matters at higher percentages. For example Fox is lighter than MetaKnight, but Fox is easier to juggle at low percentages, becaue he falls fast.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Peach and Kirby's fall speed are nearly the same, so that's not much of a good example. And you're incorrect anyway. Vertically, they die at relatively the same percents, if not a 1 or 2 percent difference.

Consider that Bowser outweight Fox by A LOT, yet died much quicker vertically than Fox did. If weight matter even slightly, the difference wouldn't be so large.
I excluded the importance of falling speeds when? I simply stated that weight did matter in Melee. We just also had very differing falling speeds.

Instead, compare two characters with roughly the same falling speed but not the same weight.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I excluded the importance of falling speeds when? I simply stated that weight did matter in Melee. We just also had very differing falling speeds.

Instead, compare two characters with roughly the same falling speed but not the same weight.
Ok.
Pikachu and Pichu fall at the same speed in Melee. Pikachu is heavier than Pichu. They die at the same percentage vertically. if not a 1 or 2 percent difference.

Weight matters very very little in terms of vertical knockback on Melee. It matters, just not significantly.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Here is a weight ranking in melee a la m2k's site

--- 117 --- (1) Bowser
--- 114 --- (2) DK
--- 110 --- (3) Samus
--- 109 --- (4) Ganondorf
--- 108 --- (5) Yoshi
--- 104 --- (6-7) Captain Falcon / Link
--- 100 --- (8-10) Dr. Mario / Luigi / Mario
--- 94 --- (11) Ness
--- 90 --- (12-14) Peach / Sheik / Zelda
--- 88 --- (15) Ice Climbers
--- 87 --- (16) Marth
--- 85 --- (17-19) Mewtwo / Roy / Young Link
--- 80 --- (20-21) Falco / Pikachu
--- 75 --- (22) Fox
--- 70 --- (23) Kirby
--- 60 --- (24-25) Jigglypuff / Mr. Game & Watch
--- 55 --- (26) Pichu

Weight did matter in melee. Falcon and Fox had very similar falling speeds (fox was a little faster), but Falcon gets vertically KO'd at a noticeably higher percentage.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ok.
Pikachu and Pichu fall at the same speed in Melee. Pikachu is heavier than Pichu. They die at the same percentage vertically. if not a 1 or 2 percent difference.

Weight matters very very little in terms of vertical knockback on Melee. It matters, just not significantly.
No they don't. What the heck are you basing this on?! Fox' Upsmash?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
turn melee on and test it please.
(or look at m2k's page)

The reason that Fox lives longer than Falcon is because fox accelerates to his top fall speed MUCH quicker than anyone else in the game. This is why many combos that work on space animals don't work on Falcon. if their fall speed was so "similar" and especially if weight mattered, those combos would be possible

Our Savior Marth said:
haha beast sig quote dood, see ya this summer
lol yeah, someone comes up with a new "advanced tech" every day. i'm like just play the game mane

Fastest

Smash Ace
I should clarify that it's not max falling speed that made such a big difference in vertical KOs.

It's Acceleration.

Each frame the game does the following:

Acceleration = Gravity * Player Acceleration
Velocity = Velocity + Acceleration
Position = Position + Velocity

Just like real-world examples, acceleration is constantly applied to velocity. This is simulated physics however, so time jumps ahead in intervals of 1 frame.

When you're hit, the attack directly modifies Velocity. And that value is modified by character weight, attack strength, and character percent.

The problem with melee, however, was the application of weight was a one time dampening of the move's strength. Whereas acceleration happens *each frame*. So a character with very very fast acceleration, no matter what their maximum fall speed was, would cancel out vertical velocity faster than a character with slow acceleration.

Magus420

Smash Master
OK. First let's look at Melee's falling speeds (Throws ignore weight. % that M2's u-throw KOs on DL64):

196 - Falco

188 - Fox
187 - Captain Falcon

165 - Roy > Donkey Kong

154 - Sheik > Link = Young Link
153 - Marth > Ganondorf
151 - Bowser

144 - Pikachu > Pichu
143 - Yoshi

139 - Ness
137 - Mr Game & Watch
136 - Dr Mario = Mario

133 - Ice Climbers
131 - Peach = Kirby = Mewtwo
130 - Luigi
129 - Samus
127 - Zelda

121 - Jigglypuff

Now this is how long they live vertically, using Captain Falcon's stomp on Final Destination as the measurement (version 1.0, and Fountain of Dreams was used in cases of a tie):

171 - Captain Falcon
164 - Donkey Kong
157 - Falco
156 - Bowser
152 - Ganondorf
150 - Link
147 - Yoshi > Fox
141 - Roy
140 - Sheik
137 - Dr Mario = Mario
136 - Samus > Marth
135 - Young Link
134 - Ness
133 - Luigi
126 - Ice Climbers = Pikachu
124 - Peach
122 - Zelda
121 - Mewtwo
111 - Kirby
106 - Pichu = Mr Game & Watch
098 - Jigglypuff

If you will remember, in Melee, character weight had almost no affect on vertical knockback, if any at all, for example, Samus was a heavy character, and Kirby was a very light character, but they still died vertically at about the same percentage.
^^ What game were you playing? :p

Anyway, here's the Melee weight list, but with the warm/cold fall speed colors. Though there is more emphasis on fall speed, notice how generally the ones with the warmer colors that are also closer to the top here are the ones that live longer vertically:

117 - Bowser
114 - Donkey Kong
110 - Samus
109 - Ganondorf
108 - Yoshi
104 - Captain Falcon / Link
100 - Dr Mario / Luigi / Mario
094 - Ness
090 - Peach / Sheik / Zelda
088 - Ice Climbers
087 - Marth
085 - Mewtwo / Roy / Young Link
080 - Falco / Pikachu
075 - Fox
070 - Kirby
060 - Jigglypuff / Mr Game & Watch
055 - Pichu

Magus420

Smash Master
Acceleration matters VERY little when dying off the top was the point I was trying to make in that first sentence. You get up to speed very quickly so that only really makes a difference with very short knockbacks like when Ganon d-throws Fox (barely goes upwards at all) he'll hit the ground slightly sooner than Falco would. It's a rather short amount of time before the full amount of their fall speed is working against the upward knockback, which over time has a much larger impact than the brief delay to reach that amount.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
There is apparently some game mechanic that I do not understand that involves throws vs. attacks. Much of what I assumed about vertical knockback is based on tests I did involving Mewtwo and Roy's upthrows. m2 kills pichu at 107% with his upthrow and kills Pikachu at 108% with the same move.

so forgive me i was going off of that

at any rate, it still is worth pointing out that fall speed and weight are handled differently in Brawl. I also believe that character in brawl accelerate to their top falling speeds slower than in melee.

Magus420

Smash Master
Yeah, for whatever reason knockback and stun on throws in Melee are not affected by weight at all. Only fall speed matters for survival. Pichu for example survives Peach's f-throw to higher percents than Samus does.

Since throws ignored weight, they were a really good way to measure fall speed 'weight'. (M2's u-throw on DL64):

196 - Falco

188 - Fox
187 - Captain Falcon

165 - Roy > Donkey Kong

154 - Sheik > Link = Young Link
153 - Marth > Ganondorf
151 - Bowser

144 - Pikachu > Pichu
143 - Yoshi

139 - Ness
137 - Mr Game & Watch
136 - Dr Mario = Mario