• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Suggestion: Ephraim (Fire Emblem)

im so glad this thread exists, Ephraim would be awesome in ssbb
*Glares at name*

Anywho...

I personally think that there will be no Fire Emblem characters frrom any of the GBA games this time around.Why? Because they did horribly.The Fire Emblem characters from the NES and SNES series are some of the most prestigious games in the series.

The most notable one is Fire Emblem:Seisen no Keifu (Fire Emblem 4),the most popular one in the series next to Fire Emblem 1 and 3.Two of the characters that people want the most from those games are:

Sigurd

Ayra(Ira)

I personally find her much better than Lyn,looks and character wise.I would explain more about her character,but there is an Ayra topic on these forums(Search Ayra).You can also check Wiki.

Along with Marth,these are a couple of the best Fire Emblem characters.

Fyacin_the_Deadeyed

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I don't see Ephraim getting in at all, even most of USA hated it. I do like Arya though! Would not be dissapointed at all if she got in. Poor Hector, looks like he is probably going to be left behind :( On a side note Arya looks like she could almost have a Lyn skin as an alternate costume.
*edit, Yup just looked at the picture, Lyn has almost the same dress and sword, would just to change hair to green and dress to blue and it would look alot like her.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Yeah, I don't see Ephraim getting in at all, even most of USA hated it. I do like Arya though! Would not be dissapointed at all if she got in. Poor Hector, looks like he is probably going to be left behind :( On a side note Arya looks like she could almost have a Lyn skin as an alternate costume.
Lyn and Ayra do look similar to each other. Any of them can be skins. So if Lyn is confirmed that could mean Ayra is too (this can work vice-versa).

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
The Arya-Lyn alternate costumes idea is definitely one of the better ideas I've heard, as that way they can appease both the Japanese and International fanbases. The only problem is that Lyn wouldn't be able to have a Bow as Arya can't use i, though it's hardly a great loss.

Though this probably isn't the place to discuss that.

As for Ephraim, I personally liked the guy quite a bit, but as it's pointed out the GBa games haven't been as successful in Japan. And even if we do get a GBA rep, chances are they'll either stick with Roy (who the Japanese kind of like if I've heard correctly) or go with a character from FE7 seeing as that was the most popular game outside Japan and was the first to be internationally released. A lance user would be cool, but I don't think that's enough to save Ephraim.

D

Deleted member

Stay on topic! Stay on topic! XD. Thanks guys.

Yeah, Ephraim was cool, but he got lumbered in a bad game.

Then again, Jigglypuff/Pichu? What was Sakurai smoking?

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Pichu was an easy clone and 2nd gen rep, the fact that he's practically a joke character seems to suggest that Sakurai probably wasn't ecstatic about including him:ohwell:

Jiggs was simply popular at the time, though apparently took the place Pit was going to have. Maybe he's just been a placeholder all this time.

Still, I've always been fond of Lance users (not axe users for reason or other), so Ephraim would be a welcome addition. Pity the only true Lance user Lord (yes Sigurd I'm looking at you ya big phony!) doesn't have the best chances.

Zeela12

Smash Ace
WOOT EPHRAIM!!!11!11!ONEONE!

ephraim is one of my favoret lords, and one of the most unique character from FE seires in general, hes the first character on foot to use a lance(other than this guy named Ruka in FE 2 Gaiden, but no 1 cares about FE2), and obviously the first lord to do it too.

ephraim would be awsome for Brawl, I STRONGLY suggest this char too, much more than Ike, MUCH more.

(also, if he was in, he would be the first person to use a lance/spear weapon in SSB too, THINK OF THE RANGE!... and u thought Marth had a long melee range... lol)

Ephraim = ftw!

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
yes, i was an ike fan until i played the sacred stones game (still not done with it yet, fighting dame selena), and now i support ephraim 100%. i think what is really likely would be to see ephraim, ike, and the black knight as our fire emblem reps for this game, although i think it'll only happen in a dream roster...

D

Deleted member

Bumpage for this.

Ike was recently confirmed for Brawl. Ephraim is in a smiliar ballgame, as his title was released at about the same time.

Not to mention he is completly different from anyone else suggested from FE.

Ideas people?

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
Bumpage for this.

Ike was recently confirmed for Brawl. Ephraim is in a smiliar ballgame, as his title was released at about the same time.

Not to mention he is completly different from anyone else suggested from FE.

Ideas people?
Yo, can you back down? I honestly think my thread's more detailed, and it has pictures!

Shuma

Smash Hero

Black Knight?

Seriously he has a bigger chance than Ephra.

Hong

The Strongest
xD This thread is a lot better than the other one. Less spam and questions.

Though I think to be more unique, his B should use his critical animation. He'd spin the lance near his side and then thrust it out. You got to admit that is one of the coolest critical animations ever. (Though pail in comparison to Swordmasters and Myrmidons. :p)

Javelins would make for an interesting projectile so he has something to bait opponents. Though the Javelin should follow the latest Fire Emblem model with a low hit rate and high wt. (As of FE 9 and 10)
Thus it should have dreadful startup lag but little delay. Something like that at least.

Jet_Kirby

Smash Cadet
Ephraim for brawl all the way people!!!

I personally think FE should have four characters in brawl...

1. Ike (confirmed)
2. Roy (comeback maybe a little faster or something)
3. Ephraim (Duh)
4. One of the mages (forgot their names)

Thats just my personal opinion though.

Okysho

Smash Ace
I very much have to agree with this thread since Ephriam doesn't use a sword (until he's a great lord but let's not get into that) and since he uses a lance he'd bring a lot to the battlefield, however I think that the fire emblem character spots are slowly being filled up seeing as the FE remake sorta already puts Marth into the game and Machiah (though she's still much more debateable than Marth is) is more or less the DR rep. How many more FE chars can we have?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Ephraim get in since he's so much different than other sowrd users, if Machiah is denied, than I hope Ephriam is next.

Having said that, I don't htink sacred stones is a popular enough game to have a rep...

but I'd really rather not argue about popularity contests or marketing schemes right now...

y3nia659

Smash Ace
I think Eirika is more important to the story, she's the intro the rest is chosen on who you want to pick and the end they are equally important.

Plus there needs to be more females.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I think there are more important FE characters in general. Sacred Stones is generally frowned upon and considered one of the worse games in the series. I would rather see another FE9/10 character in over a FE8 character.

I am not sure how well it went over in Japan but I know the popularity is not nearly as high.

Zevox

Smash Lord
I think there are more important FE characters in general. Sacred Stones is generally frowned upon and considered one of the worse games in the series. I would rather see another FE9/10 character in over a FE8 character.

I am not sure how well it went over in Japan but I know the popularity is not nearly as high.
None of the GBA games went over well in Japan. Sword of Seals sold incredibly well thanks to its extensive advertising campaign (and no doubt with large thanks to Roy's Melee appearance as part of that), but even it is considered below all the non-GBA titles save Gaiden alone. Sacred Stones is almost universally considered the worst of the GBA titles, and its only competition for worst game of the series is Gaiden. Its pretty safe to say that characters from Sacred Stones and Gaiden won't be in (and will be lucky if they make AT), and that characters from the other GBA games are generally going to be unlikely compared to characters from the SNES games or PoR/RD (I suspect this is in part why Lyn only made AT in spite of her huge international support).

Zevox

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
None of the GBA games went over well in Japan. Sword of Seals sold incredibly well thanks to its extensive advertising campaign (and no doubt with large thanks to Roy's Melee appearance as part of that), but even it is considered below all the non-GBA titles save Gaiden alone. Sacred Stones is almost universally considered the worst of the GBA titles, and its only competition for worst game of the series is Gaiden. Its pretty safe to say that characters from Sacred Stones and Gaiden won't be in (and will be lucky if they make AT), and that characters from the other GBA games are generally going to be unlikely compared to characters from the SNES games or PoR/RD (I suspect this is in part why Lyn only made AT in spite of her huge international support).

Zevox
Sacred Stones bad? Nintendo Power gave it a whopping 9.0 out of 10.0.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Yes, Nintendo Power tends to do that with a lot of games. But its the opinion of the majority of Fire Emblem fans that Sacred Stones was one of the two worst games in the series, for a variety of reasons. And what the fans think tends to matter a lot more than what some magazine or "professional" reviewer thinks, especially when it comes to games like SSB.

Zevox

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
Yes, Nintendo Power tends to do that with a lot of games. But its the opinion of the majority of Fire Emblem fans that Sacred Stones was one of the two worst games in the series, for a variety of reasons. And what the fans think tends to matter a lot more than what some magazine or "professional" reviewer thinks, especially when it comes to games like SSB.

Zevox
I can say that it was quite a fun game, it has different directions like FF X-2. I played SS, and PoR. I can say that they're some kickass games. I played through both with all characters none dead, even if I have to reset. Tell me which one was the Eliwood one. I want to see it it's good. Oh, and pm me when the Japanese Imports go English on Virtual Console. I want to see why it pales in comparison with the others.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I can say that it was quite a fun game, it has different directions like FF X-2. I played SS, and PoR. I can say that they're some kickass games. I played through both with all characters none dead, even if I have to reset. Tell me which one was the Eliwood one. I want to see it it's good. Oh, and pm me when the Japanese Imports go English on Virtual Console. I want to see why it pales in comparison with the others.
I really really hope they either remake all of them (doubtful) or put them on the Wii Shop. Just translate it... they don't have to lower the difficulty... the only reason I LIKED FE6 more than the others was because it was actually fairly difficult. Japanese FE is always harder than American FE.

But yeah, FE7 was the one with Eliwood, was the first one released for GBA. Much better than FE8 storywise, and I was playing a Japanese version of FE6 so I can't really comment on that story, lol.

But I think the BEST chance at a third FE rep, if they get one, will be someone like Micaiah, or an important character from the PoR/RD era.

Edit: Nintendo Power is also biased on some games, depending on the reviewer. Especially higher end games like FE, Mario, F-Zero, Metroid, Zelda, or other popular Nintendo franchises. But really, it's all on the reviewer.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Eliwood was in the seventh game, Blazing Sword, on the GBA. Its just called "Fire Emblem" in the US.

Major complaints about Sacred Stones tend to involve its difficulty (its ridiculously easy, especially compared to older FE games [apparently, Marth's games had about the difficulty of recent games' hard mode, and Thracia 776 had about the difficulty of recent games' maniac mode]), the semi-free-roaming world map with random battles (easy training, which contributes significantly to the easy difficulty, and is very contrary to the themes and nature of the FE series), and the story (which was pretty straightforward and lacked any real twists, with most of the important points being revealed very early in the game). It also continued a trend started by Sword of Seals, the first GBA game, of leaving out major mechanics included in the SNES games, which disappointed many fans (some of these, such as the skill system, were thankfully returned in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, but others, such as dismounting of mounted units, have yet to be restored).

Zevox

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Fans of the series hate it (with good reason) because it was far too easy, the story was horrendous, there was minimal character development for any character and it was way too short. A MASSIVE step down in a franchise like that.
FE6 and FE7 were steps down too but they had much better stories and some actual difficulty (especially FE6!) Also much better character development.

D

Deleted member

Should that really affect what characters get in?

Sigurd, Marth and Ike would be truly boring, and Tellius has a character already.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
Fans of the series hate it (with good reason) because it was far too easy, the story was horrendous, there was minimal character development for any character and it was way too short. A MASSIVE step down in a franchise like that.
FE6 and FE7 were steps down too but they had much better stories and some actual difficulty (especially FE6!) Also much better character development.
You sound like Luke Groundwalker when he compares Mother 2 to Mother 3.

courte

Smash Lord
sorry just going on the first post, when this post was made, even though the weapon is different from marth and roy, a lot of the attacks look to be the same, with the exception of that impale GOD MODE-- are their any other move sets for ephraim

yes fans of the series-- not everyone starts a game from the very beginning and technically to alot of people this is considered new and thus a good game, not the best of it's cousins but we all havent met the whole family

D

Deleted member

sorry just going on the first post, when this post was made, even though the weapon is different from marth and roy, a lot of the attacks look to be the same, with the exception of that impale GOD MODE-- are their any other move sets for ephraim

yes fans of the series-- not everyone starts a game from the very beginning and technically to alot of people this is considered new and thus a good game, not the best of it's cousins but we all havent met the whole family
LOL. They wouldn't even be the same any way you looked at it. Marth's Melee moves were slashing ones. Ephraim exists solely for stabbing.

courte

Smash Lord
LOL. They wouldn't even be the same any way you looked at it. Marth's Melee moves were slashing ones. Ephraim exists solely for stabbing.
sorry it's just that on paper a few of the attacks look basic i.e. no unique flair and there were a few swiping moves if i recall correctly

courte

Smash Lord
I WILL continue support this character til the very end--at worst Sigurd + Ephraim Merge FTW!!

D

Deleted member

You better :D.

I don't think i've given adequate reasons as to why I support him over Sigurd.

FE always changes. Apart from maybe a single sequal, the series roars on. After a while, every FE character (apart from maybe Marth) will become outdated and redundant. Even Ike and Roy.

Sigurd is popular, yes, and cool (I agree!!), but old. He's not exactly earning any more money for Nintendo, and introducing a Japan only character from a fairly old game would cause confusion. I really think he's missed his chance in both Melee and 64.

Ephraim is recent, has a unique weapon that everyone seems to want, and is cool! Sure, he was in a crappy gamne, but what kind of excuse is that?!

courte

Smash Lord
for me it wasn't a bad game--im not as critical as most

perhaps in comparison to the rest of the series but as a standalone, i saw absolutely nothing wrong with it
complaints about difficulty can always become warning i.e. ninja gaiden is "this game is so hard, so challenging!!" not "this game is so hard, it's broken"

although i will admit i do not know the gripes people had with Sacred Stones

y3nia659

Smash Ace
to me Sacred Stones is my favorite game, it has it's own pace and I like that it doesn't rush the player to the next level so quickly.

Top Bottom