• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Selection Screens

Hoodie

Smash Journeyman
Ok guys, I just got home, time to finish up that screen i posted earlier.

Dedede and Ridley will indeed be in it =]

DokturSea

Smash Lord
So I decided to work on it a bit.

The red lines are there for a reason. Don't want anyone finishing my work =]

Notice the blank spaces in certin aways, besides the bottom line. Who do you think will show up? Find out tomorrow :D
That's freaking awesome. Although I'm seeing a lack of DeDeDe and too much of Waluigi and Toadette. Good work putting the Skull Kid in there though. Can't wait to see it finished.

Godzidra: Good heavens, at least wait until you post the darn thing before you get all defensive about it. It's probably fine.

Shine Spiked

Smash Apprentice
Doubt it, since we're using the old controllers anywho.
Thats not for sure, i mean no one has actually played with the new wii controllers.
Who knows? Maybe the wii controller will be required at high-level tournament play?
Only time will tell.

Hoodie

Smash Journeyman
Godzidra- Nice, Not to steal ideas but I might implement this into my screen when I finish it. Different music of course. BTW guys my screen will be up tonight, Sorry for the delays :D

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
Thats not for sure, i mean no one has actually played with the new wii controllers.
Who knows? Maybe the wii controller will be required at high-level tournament play?
Only time will tell.

No, Nintendo already announced the controller scheme will be like SSBM so older players aren't alienated from the game, and the fact that Nintendo has no clue how to make the Wii controllers work for Brawl. THe best you can hope for is the use of the Retro controller.

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
I working on a more realistic version of my old screen (40 characters, different design, etc.). Does anybody have suggestions for a background (nothing too complicated, I'm using Paint)?

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
So I decided to work on it a bit.

The red lines are there for a reason. Don't want anyone finishing my work =]

Notice the blank spaces in certin aways, besides the bottom line. Who do you think will show up? Find out tomorrow :D
Take Toadette out and I'm happy! Keep Waluigi on there!

Eaode

Smash Champion
Okay, Mine is Done!!!

Here it is:

I didn't put too much work into the top header, and yeah it's based off Zodiak's template.
I was upset because I couldn't find 3D pics for Zelda, Vaati, or Dedede. ( I used a clay model for Jeff, and the pic of Ridley is actually Meta Ridley.

How do you like it?

Character list:

Mario:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Toad
Yoshi
Wario

Donkey Kong:

DK
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool

Pokemon:

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Deoxys
Lucario

Fire Emblem:

Marth
Ike

Kirby:

Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede

Zelda:

Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Vaati

Starfox:

Fox
Falco
Krystal

Pikmin:
Captain Olimar

Earthbound/Mother:
Ness
Jeff

Metroid:
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Ridley

F-Zero:
Captain Falcon

Stand alone-Classic:
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game and Watch
Pit

Third Party:
Sonic
Geno
Snake

That's 40 in all, as Sakurai estimated there would be. I was going to have Wolf in, but 4 characters is too much rep for starfox, and I realized I didn't add Olimar.

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
That's one of the more realistic screens character-wise, except for the entire Zamus being a seperate character thing.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Zamus is confirmed not a character on her own, Jeff should be someone from mother 3 and there should be more Fzero rep and Yoshi and Wario arn't Mario characters and get rid of the hideous picture of Dk and that stupid grin it's almost as bad as in Mario Kart DS but otherwise it's great

LemonManX

Smash Lord
A very good list. But yeah Zamus and Samus are one character. Sigurd would be better than Ike (I mean infinitely better, a blank space would be better than Ike). Otherwise I like it, and it does look like a realistic character selection screen. Good work man.

Eaode

Smash Champion
yeah, I was thinking about more F-Zero Rep, but I never say a good idea about who. Samurai Goroh is the most likely, but he still didn't seem more original. And I didn't know about FE character, I haven't ever played any FE.

I've never played Earthbound or Mother either. I knew I should've but someone from Mother 3, but I couldn't find pictures and Jeff seemed pretty cool. I might've put Lucas in if there was a picture.

The information on ZSamus is very, very vague. So I made them seperate, because that's how I want them to be. And I do think that Wario and Yoshi should be seperate. Well, Wario more than Yoshi, but still. I just didn't really know if I should've seperated them. I might make an update.

It will have Wario and Yoshi seperated, Ike replaced with someone else, Jeff replaced If I can find a picture of someone. Zamus will be taken off the screen as a "transformation" and maybe replaced with an F-Zero character.

I do think that Mach Rider should be a C. Falcon Costume though.

Hoodie

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys. I still haven't gotten around to finishing my screen...HOPEFULLY, I'll have it fully complete for the weekend and i'll post it up on Saturday.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
BOy howdy I suck at these character select screens.

Added Meta-Knight.

I removed: Ics, Y. link, Doc, GAW, and Pichu

Added: Diddy Kong, King K Rool, King Dedede, Lyndis, Ike, Black Shadow, Eggplant Man, Balloon Fighter, Krystal, Little Mac, Vaati, Deoxys, Blaziken, Sukapon, Sonic, Sylux, and R. O. B.

The Franchise

Smash Journeyman
At least you tried to make one ZMan. That makes you better then a ton of other lazy people, myself included. Besides, there are proabily much worse ones out there.

Mach Rider

Smash Apprentice
"You're missing FE characters and Earthbound characters."
Well I didn't have much time to figure out all the characters I want and try to fit them

"What the devil is a Juno?"
Go here for info on Juno
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=83516

I guess it's no good if you can't think of anything to comment on

Jossy

Smash Apprentice
Confirmed: Mario, Pikachu, Link, Kirby, Metaknight, Samus, Wario, Pitt, Solid Snake

Zero Suit Samus IS NOT an independent character- but it's what you get to see after a part of a move.... This is confirmed on the official website and can be seen in the trailer.

Who will most likely be in the game again: Yoshi (Great moves, main character), Peach (cuz she a girl), Ness (cuz he's been on SuperSmash from the beginning), Jigglypuf (same goes for Purin), Zelda (without Sheik perhaps) - zelda could get scrapped, however i think they will leave her on because otherwise there would be too little female characters.

Probably too (but a little less sure): Donkey Kong, Fox, Falco (since they are from RARE)

That could be scrapped (although I hope none get scrapped): Cpt. Falcon, Bowser, Ice Climbers, Pichu, Mew, Mr. Game & Watch, Luigi, Dr. Mario, Ganandorf, Young Link, Roy, Marth,

Speculation (unconfirmed): Banjoo Kazooie, Megaman, Sonic&Tails as one character.

Unconfirmed: Number of characters... Someone said it was confirmed that there will be at least 40 characters, well please provide a source.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Confirmed: Mario, Pikachu, Link, Kirby, Metaknight, Samus, Wario, Pitt, Solid Snake

Zero Suit Samus IS NOT an independent character- but it's what you get to see after a part of a move....

Who will most likely be in the game again: Yoshi, Peach, Ness, Jigglypuf, Zelda (without Sheik perhaps) - zelda could get scrapped, however i think they will leave her on because otherwise there would be too little female characters.
RIght so far....

Probably too (but a little less sure): Donkey Kong, Fox, Falco (since they are from RARE)
They are all Nintendo charactrers, Rare just made the most famous ones, like Star Fox 64 and the Donkey Kong Countries.

That could be scrapped (although I hope none get scrapped): Cpt. Falcon, Bowser, Ice Climbers, Pichu, Mew, Mr. Game & Watch, Luigi, Dr. Mario, Ganandorf, Young Link, Roy, Marth,
Why woukld Capain Falcon, Bowser, Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, Mr. Game and Watch, Luigi, and Marth be cut? Gannondoprf is probably returning with a new moveset

Speculation (unconfirmed): Banjoo Kazooie, Megaman, Sonic&Tails as one character.
Banjo-Kazooie is Rare, therefore will not happen (**** you microsoft). Megaman, probably. Sonic & Tails together? No, if Sonic is in, he will be alone.

Unconfirmed: Number of characters... Someone said it was confirmed that there will be at least 40 characters, well please provide a source.
At E3 Sakurai said this

Jossy

Smash Apprentice
right , thanks

NOTE: I dont think any of the old characters will be scrapped but here's why i thought they might scrap them:

Cpt. Falcon: Although the F Zero X games are great games for Nintendo and perhaps even classic, it's still a weird choise to put characters from racing games into a fighting game, because you mainly just get to see their cars.

Bowser: He's an enemy (so could be used for a final destination) and there are already so many Mario characters.

Ice Climbers: Classic game, yet old... Unless they are going to make a new version for Ice Climbers, they could get scrapped.

Pichu: Well, there are a lot of Pokemon there already and Pikachu is almost the same.

Mew: Same as above, there's already Pikachu and Jigglypuff.

Mr. Game & Watch: Obvious reasons... Not many ppl like to play with this one anyway...

Luigi: Although he has unique moves, some are quite the same as Mario's and Luigi could get scrapped, although there's a large possibility that he would come back (perhaps even with a vacuum cleaner, however Luigi's Mansion was released before Melee and they didn't give him a vacuum there...)

Dr. Mario: Almost the same moves as Mario. Besides, his name is Mario. Do we really need 2 Marios in the game?

Ganandorf: He will most likely be in there again, however... he must get some new moves cuz his moves are now like Captain Falcon's which doesn't make sense.

Young Link: The new Zelda will be with the grown link again, so ... again: Do we really need 2 link's? He has basicly the same moves as Link.

Roy/Marth: They are probably going to use 2 or32 Fire Emblem characters, however I'm not sure if it will be Roy and/or Marth again.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
right , thanks
your welcome

Cpt. Falcon: Although the F Zero X games are great games for Nintendo and perhaps even classic, it's still a weird choise to put characters from racing games into a fighting game, because you mainly just get to see their cars.
That's what people love about Smash Bros, it takes the characters that seem they can't fight into fighting games, and does it extremely well (See Captain Falcon for details). He is also insanely popular and used alot in both SSB64 and Melee

Bowser: He's an enemy (so could be used for a final destination) and there are already so many Mario characters.
He is an enemy, MARIO's aka Mr. NIntendo's enemy, are reasons alone for why he should stay. And the number of characters Sakurai wants from a series is the right amount.

Ice Climbers: Classic game, yet old... Unless they are going to make a new version for Ice Climbers, they could get scrapped.
A month ago I would have agreed with you.

The fact that they are one(two) of the games most unique character(s) is reason that they should stay. If they return, of course they will look better. The only thing that should be changed about IC is the Up B, so if Nana dies, Popo isn't left without a third jump

Pichu: Well, there are a lot of Pokemon there already and Pikachu is almost the same.
Yes, Pichu should be cut, not because there are "too many" Pokemon, but for the fact that he was a clone that took the place of a more unique charactrer near the end of development. Also, he was the joke character.

Mew: Same as above, there's already Pikachu and Jigglypuff
Do you mean MewTWO? I doubt they'd cut him because of Pikachu and Jigglypuff

Mr. Game & Watch: Obvious reasons... Not many ppl like to play with this one anyway...
What's so obvious about it, besides the fact that Sakurai loves Retro characters, and that he came before Mario was even known as "Jumpman", not to mention that the Game and Watch revolutionezed handheld gaming. How more important can he be? He is also my main :)

Luigi: Although he has unique moves, some are quite the same as Mario's and Luigi could get scrapped, although there's a large possibility that he would come back (perhaps even with a vacuum cleaner, however Luigi's Mansion was released before Melee and they didn't give him a vacuum there...)
Luigi is barely a half-clone. If he returns, however, I believe it would be more appropiate to give him the Electricy from "Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga", since that set him up as an even more different character than Mario.

Dr. Mario: Almost the same moves as Mario. Besides, his name is Mario. Do we really need 2 Marios in the game?
I agree 100% with this one.

Ganandorf: He will most likely be in there again, however... he must get some new moves cuz his moves are now like Captain Falcon's which doesn't make sense.
Rumor has it that his trophy and winning poses have his sword because he was going to use it, but they noticed that his frame is alot like CF's and to save time, made him a clone with the same B moves. His A moves are different, however.

Young Link: The new Zelda will be with the grown link again, so ... again: Do we really need 2 link's? He has basicly the same moves as Link.
Once again, I agree, YL needs to go

Roy/Marth: They are probably going to use 2 or32 Fire Emblem characters, however I'm not sure if it will be Roy and/or Marth again.
MARTH: Marth played the biggest role: As the main charcater of the first Fire Emblem on the NES. Also, he was also in another Fire Emblem game, that makes him have two games, where all other Fire Emblem heroes only had one. He was also the most suggested.

ROY: Roy took the place of Sigurd (Second most popular requested character) in Melee as an advertisement fot the next FE game, which didn't sell to well in Japan. Roy was amde to be a clone. Roy, even though he is my 3rd main, needs to be cut.

As for a new FE Charcter: I believe it will either be Ike, Sigurd, or Hector.

If anybody should be cut, the clones made for the sake of adding new charcters should be considered before the game's unique characters.

Top Bottom