• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Roster Trend

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
You guys don't know why Pichu was in?

Lesse...to represent the newest generation of Pokemon at the time? Marril and Togepi would've been good candidates, but considering that the six clones weren't even planned in the beginning, they decided to make clones, and Pichu is a better choice than Raichu because:

1) Popularity. Pichu's had exposure in a few mini movies and episodes (more than Raichu, at any rate), and because he's yellow he's a lot more recognizable as being related to Pikachu than Raichu is.
2) Pikachu was sluggish enough in Melee. Having a lighter, faster version makes a lot more sense to me.

I don't understand why Pichu's inclusion is so confusing....unless, y'know...you're a first gen *****. In that case, that's not surprising at all.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Okay. You've convinced me about the trophies now. Point taken.

Oh, okay. I was talking about Melee when I said he wasn't shrunk, but now I see where you're coming from.

Rubbing things in isn't my style. :p

Yeah. I heard about that. Then people started having hopes for downloadable character content, until Sakurai mentioned in some interview that there would be none.

I doubt it was because of time constraints that Mewtwo, Roy, and the Doc were not in though, because Brawl got delayed from December 3rd, to February 10th, and then to March 9th... They had plenty of time, but decided to scrap those 3 during production for some reason. I don't know what it was they were working on during the delays (definitely not just translating, as it doesn't take a whole month to do that), but I guess the inclusion of characters (or rather, likeable characters from the previous game) wasn't one of their highest priorities. :ohwell:

I figured as much. It's the only reason I can think why Pichu was put in too, but still. That's a dumb reason for a character to be included. If they had to have a Pika clone in SSBM, Raichu would've made a lot more sense.
I finally got to you on that one.

That one too.

That is a good thing (i don't use smilies often)

Well, the fact that it was delayed can also translate for Mewtwo being left out due to time constraints as well. Brawl was delayed multiple times (as we know) and they could have been in a rush to make the game, so they could have only been capable of putting Mewtwo as a trophy and that's it.This could also explain why more popular character could also have been cut too.

Either that or the Pichu short attached to the third movie.

MetaRidleyX

Smash Apprentice
I would love to see at least one more Metroid rep. I don't consider ZSS a second rep because she is the same character as normal Samus.
The way I see it, we have 2 choices for Metroid reps: Ridley or Dark Samus.

Ridley: I would absolutly love to be able to play as this guy. His attack scheme wouldnt be that hard to come up with. His standard attacks would consist of sweeps, slashes, bites etc. For special attack his up+B would most likely be some sort of flight (similar to wings of icarus). He could also have a flamethrower-like standard B. And of course, one of his colour schemes would have to be meta ridley. The one problem however would be his size. I know that it was said above that he could be scaled down, but I think that it would take away from the epicness that is ridley if he was made smaller. Even in brawl, when you fight him, he feels smaller than he should be.

Dark Samus: I was hoping for her in brawl and would also love to play as her. Lots of people have said that she would be a samus clone, but I think that it's because they dont know anything about DS. I've actually come up with a moveset for her. Down+B is that electrical phazon shield she brings up when you shoot a missle at her. It would do small electrical damage and reflect projectiles. Up+B is a move similar to lucario's, just a quick dash in any direction dealin minor damage to close enemies. B is chargable and is her scatter shot attack, the shrapnel beam. Side+B would be splitting herself into phazon particles moving forward a little and reforming, upon reforming it damages nearby enemies. Maybe it could also be chargable, kind of like Ike's side+B. Final Smash (if still present) could be temporarily fusing with the AU and wreaking havoc. As for colour schemes, I cant think of anything besides her different appearences between prime 2 and 3 and maybe a red phazon version.

On a side note regarding character colour schemes, certain characters such as samus should actually have differnt armour depending on the colour you choose ex: normal is the varia suit, dark is the dark suit, fusion colours would actually have her in the fusion suit etc.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Lesse...to represent the newest generation of Pokemon at the time? Marril and Togepi would've been good candidates, but considering that the six clones weren't even planned in the beginning, they decided to make clones

I don't understand why Pichu's inclusion is so confusing....unless, y'know...you're a first gen *****. In that case, that's not surprising at all.
Admittedly, I forgot to take the generation thing into account, but I'm not a first gen *****.

and Pichu is a better choice than Raichu because:

2) Pikachu was sluggish enough in Melee. Having a lighter, faster version makes a lot more sense to me.
Popularity aside, I guess it depends on personal preference, though unlike Pichu, at least Raichu wouldn't of taken damage from its own electric attacks.

Well, the fact that it was delayed can also translate for Mewtwo being left out due to time constraints as well. Brawl was delayed multiple times (as we know) and they could have been in a rush to make the game, so they could have only been capable of putting Mewtwo as a trophy and that's it.This could also explain why more popular character could also have been cut too.
Meh. Guess so...

Charizard92

Smash Champion

Lesse...to represent the newest generation of Pokemon at the time? Marril and Togepi would've been good candidates, but considering that the six clones weren't even planned in the beginning, they decided to make clones, and Pichu is a better choice than Raichu because:

1) Popularity. Pichu's had exposure in a few mini movies and episodes (more than Raichu, at any rate), and because he's yellow he's a lot more recognizable as being related to Pikachu than Raichu is.

Only a slight clue. Pichu was in an anime short I agree, but that was Pichu's only appearance on the silver screen (in the US at least) and I'd find that hard to believe was the reason he got in, especially since Mewtwo got a whole movie based on him (at the time). Pichu is the baby evolution of Pikachu, and thus cuter. I realized just now that Pichu was in fact the flag holder of the second gen while Pikachu was the flag holder of the entire series. At the time the only way I knew Pichu was in was because it was a cuter version of Pikachu. Besides, while 1st gen Pokemon make up the top 2 slots (Charmander and Charizard), I like Pokemon from following gens as well, especially the 4th (Darkrai, Arceus, Palkia [ability to warp space, that's why]).

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
As the input of Toon Link could lead to characters from that serie, like Vaati, so could the adding of Paper Mario lead to new characters from the Paper Mario series. But at the moment, no characters come to mind that only appear in the 'paper world' and not in the other Mario games.
It could lead to whole new series in the Smash games (Paper Mario series, Toon LoZ series), although I can't see any serie evolve to that at the moment. This because we wouldn't want Toon Zelda, Toon Shiek and Toon Ganondorf, just as we don't want Paper Luigi, Paper Peach and Paper Bowser. It's would probably be clones, or have alot in common with their non-Toon/Paper versions.

A character like Vaati could best just be placed in the LoZ series, to have an enemy for TLink. This breaks the pattern, as Vaati is considered an enemy, and not an ally. But this should be an exception, because a original character like Vaati should be put in instead of a clone of Zelda/Sheik.
Toon Zelda should be in, and not be able to shift to sheik. She would have light arrows as an attack and other than that I don't know...

Toon Ganon would be good! He could have his 2 swords like in WW and have all of the attacks that he had in the final battle, and one of his tilts would have to be the backhand slap.:chuckle:

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I would love to see at least one more Metroid rep. I don't consider ZSS a second rep because she is the same character as normal Samus.
The way I see it, we have 2 choices for Metroid reps: Ridley or Dark Samus.

Ridley: I would absolutly love to be able to play as this guy. His attack scheme wouldnt be that hard to come up with. His standard attacks would consist of sweeps, slashes, bites etc. For special attack his up+B would most likely be some sort of flight (similar to wings of icarus). He could also have a flamethrower-like standard B. And of course, one of his colour schemes would have to be meta ridley. The one problem however would be his size. I know that it was said above that he could be scaled down, but I think that it would take away from the epicness that is ridley if he was made smaller. Even in brawl, when you fight him, he feels smaller than he should be.

Dark Samus: I was hoping for her in brawl and would also love to play as her. Lots of people have said that she would be a samus clone, but I think that it's because they dont know anything about DS. I've actually come up with a moveset for her. Down+B is that electrical phazon shield she brings up when you shoot a missle at her. It would do small electrical damage and reflect projectiles. Up+B is a move similar to lucario's, just a quick dash in any direction dealin minor damage to close enemies. B is chargable and is her scatter shot attack, the shrapnel beam. Side+B would be splitting herself into phazon particles moving forward a little and reforming, upon reforming it damages nearby enemies. Maybe it could also be chargable, kind of like Ike's side+B. Final Smash (if still present) could be temporarily fusing with the AU and wreaking havoc. As for colour schemes, I cant think of anything besides her different appearences between prime 2 and 3 and maybe a red phazon version.

On a side note regarding character colour schemes, certain characters such as samus should actually have differnt armour depending on the colour you choose ex: normal is the varia suit, dark is the dark suit, fusion colours would actually have her in the fusion suit etc.
According to the pattern, ZSS would have to be counted as an Ally (despite being the same person) otherwise your options would, if true, have to wait 'till an ally like Rhundas (for exapmle) was included, and most active allies have been in only one game each, and they have fought against Samus as well (in Metroid Prime hunters, about one or two of the rival hunters were trying to find the ultimate power for positive reasons, while the rest weren't so positive, and two are actively against Samus [Stylux and Weavel I presume]. In Metroid Prime 3: corruption, all three of Samus' fellow hunters were corrupted by Phazon, or in different terms, fell to Phazon Madness/Sickness, which is essentially saying the same thing).

Ridley was smaller in Brawl that he was in the series he hails from, just as a reminder.

on the side B move, remembering the boss fight against her in Corruption reminded me that she absorbed the three fellow hunters and was agile due to her absorbtion of Ganydra, so maybe Dark Samus' side b could be a horizontal version of ZSS down B, but this is just my idea.

That could have worked.

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
lets all just hope that there is a 4th installment in the near future, then all the hectic debating can start again! anyway nice thread/theory!

Kyldare

Smash Apprentice
According to this trend, Smash is going to have a roster like DOTA in the future, 96 more than necessary.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
According to this trend, Smash is going to have a roster like DOTA in the future, 96 more than necessary.
Sakurai said he wasn't going to "fatten the game" which means the roster won't get very large. I predict around 10 characters would be added to the roster.

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
Toon Zelda should be in, and not be able to shift to sheik. She would have light arrows as an attack and other than that I don't know...

Toon Ganon would be good! He could have his 2 swords like in WW and have all of the attacks that he had in the final battle, and one of his tilts would have to be the backhand slap.:chuckle:
Um... Tetra? There's definitely potential with that one.

Totally with you on Toon Ganondorf, though.

System Failure 333

Smash Apprentice
I just think that there should be more antagonists in the next one to give it a more solid meaning, especially since they've focused so much on story, regardless of the trend... Just bring on the villains!! We love to fight against/as them!! Brawl is basically the only game that will allow us to play as villains from the Nintendo world!! Adding more female characters is also something they should think about, although a bit less than the antagonists... for me that's the most important

Top Bottom