• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Err, what's up with Luigi having his own color?

"Green means the character is Luigi"

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Thanks for the link:) And Yonder, i loled at Luigi's color, im pretty sure it was just for fun since he was decreasing his ranks but may be Ankoku likes Luigi and decided to have his name in Green since green = improving. And Luigi's just cool like that:)

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
NSS why do you hate Roy_R so much? unless if thats with a 'joking' attitude. and i'm gonna ask again, cus my question was a little back and may be no one will see it, does the tournament have to have only competetive players?

PK Hexagon

Smash Apprentice
NSS why do you hate Roy_R so much? unless if thats with a 'joking' attitude. and i'm gonna ask again, cus my question was a little back and may be no one will see it, does the tournament have to have only competetive players?

....? I would assume that a tournament would only consist of competitive players.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Ankoku,

I would like to sincerely thank you for your continued effort into this list. I feel that your doing the community a huge favour by both centralizing tournament data, but also processing it into an easy to interpret and understand format. This will let the community dis spell myths and re-enforce facts both alike.

I check this thread everyday, but have never actually posted in it, nor shown my gratitude... so...

Thank you. ^^

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Ankoku,

I would like to sincerely thank you for your continued effort into this list. I feel that your doing the community a huge favour by both centralizing tournament data, but also processing it into an easy to interpret and understand format. This will let the community dis spell myths and re-enforce facts both alike.

I check this thread everyday, but have never actually posted in it, nor shown my gratitude... so...

Thank you. ^^
This guy is so polite and loving. There should be more people like this on smashboards.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
This guy is so polite and loving. There should be more people like this on smashboards.
I'm cool like that. I blame it on my Canadian upbringing though. =P

The board are really being held togeather by its vets. We seem to be the only ones who still know to talk to one another with respect and politeness. I'd be very sad if I saw the old pros leave the site and let it degenerate into something else, so I've been trying to show my gratitude to great posters like Ankoku.

Does anyone think the 2008 syndrome is disappearing yet? I don't know how much more I can handle...

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I think it's the whole new group of n00bish people that spawned from the Brawl release. Most people that joined in June and July are less annoying (lucky you) but May and March join dates usually have little important to say despite their enormous post count.

I don't actually believe in it, since I've seen lots of great people who joined in '08.
BTW h4rdcor3, what's the competitive scene like at Joker's tournaments?

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
sorry for lack of understanding, but what is 2008 syndrome?

2008 syndrome refers to the influx of egotistical and cocky 2008 posters that came with the debut of Brawl. Now, although some of those posters have proven to be highly intelligent and useful to the communities growth, many of them choose to learn nothing nor contribute anything to the community. It has made much of the board turn into a caliber that is much lower then it was back in Melee's days.

I think it's the whole new group of n00bish people that spawned from the Brawl release. Most people that joined in June and July are less annoying (lucky you) but May and March join dates usually have little important to say despite their enormous post count.

I don't actually believe in it, since I've seen lots of great people who joined in '08.
BTW h4rdcor3, what's the competitive scene like at Joker's tournaments?
Like me mirite?

Anyways, hasn't been an update on the small list, lack of tournaments lately?

EIT: I stand corrected >_>.

fkacyan

Smash Hero

2008 syndrome refers to the influx of egotistical and cocky 2008 posters that came with the debut of Brawl. Now, although some of those posters have proven to be highly intelligent and useful to the communities growth, many of them choose to learn nothing nor contribute anything to the community. It has made much of the board turn into a caliber that is much lower then it was back in Melee's days.
I don't mind cocky and egotistical. A lot of vets are like that too (*cough*Yuna*cough*). However, I hate the cockiness and egotism when they have no useful input and continue to insist that they do.

h4rdcor3

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the explanations.

Kiwikomix: Without knowing what the rest of the world is like, I'd have to say that there are some pretty good Brawl players. I'm not much of a singles player, I prefer doubles much more than singles. The group from Ames that I play with usually does really well. Hope to see you at the next one.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
I don't mind cocky and egotistical. A lot of vets are like that too (*cough*Yuna*cough*). However, I hate the cockiness and egotism when they have no useful input and continue to insist that they do.

This is true. Intelligent, egotistical people are okay.

The one thing about Yuna, as much as he is an ***, he often is right. I have only ever disagreed with him a few times.

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
I WOULD JUST LIKE TO SAY

This is a more accurate version of a tier list than any tier list could be. It accurately reflects the metagame and will change along with it, it's too good!

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
^ i disagree with that. don't get me wrong its a nice list (thank you Ankoku for doing this) but the list does not take into account how many of each character was there. i mean if there is a tournament with 20 people and 10 are snake and only 2 snakes make it to the top 8 this list would show that snake is did great when really he did not do very well in that tournament. i know this is a little bit of an extreme example but it does get the point across.

Also the list does not (b/c it would be impossble to) take in to account how good the players who were there were. one great player who plays pikachu could win a tournament against bad people using mk,snake and ddd.

once again let me say i really like this list and think it is great i am just saying why this is not a end all be all list for a tier list

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
^ i disagree with that. don't get me wrong its a nice list (thank you Ankoku for doing this) but the list does not take into account how many of each character was there. i mean if there is a tournament with 20 people and 10 are snake and only 2 snakes make it to the top 8 this list would show that snake is did great when really he did not do very well in that tournament. i know this is a little bit of an extreme example but it does get the point across.

Also the list does not (b/c it would be impossble to) take in to account how good the players who were there were. one great player who plays pikachu could win a tournament against bad people using mk,snake and ddd.

once again let me say i really like this list and think it is great i am just saying why this is not a end all be all list for a tier list
Wrong-o, we don't care about who's doing ****ty, we want to see how often they are making it to the top. And I dont think we are adding too many noob tourneys dood, if we are, I'm out, >.>

(START USING SHEIK YOU *******S.)

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace

Duuuurrrrr

Entrance Exam people, these new guys don't even understand tournament mentality.

If only 2 of those 10 guys make the top, that doesn't mean Snake is ****ty, it means that 8 of the people playing him were ****ty. The two players that made top 8 showed that Snake is a viable character.
If he made top 4, even more viable.
Top 2? More viable.
Wins? Extremely viable.

All tournament placements show are how viable characters are. If a good player can pick up a character, and place well with them, then they proved that characters viability. If the character is more viable, good players are naturally drawn to them, and their rank increases.

I don't want to hear a PEEP about popularity and how it effects this list. Popularity means JACK when you get to high end tournament levels. Tournament players naturally play good characters when tournaments have big pots. Ankoku's list makes bigger tournaments with bigger payout worth more. Guess what? Good players bring their A game, including their best character when there is more money on the line. If characters aren't viable, they aren't used, and their tournament rank reflects that.

Players who are focused on winning, and thus give a **** about a reliable tier list, aren't very inclined to use a bad character for ****s and giggles. When they do, they are REALLY doing it for ****s and giggles, and their performance in that specific tournament usually shows it. A good player going to a tournament as Captain Falcon is likely just trying to prove a point, not win the entire tournament. If they wanted to win, they'd play their best character.

This list is the MOST ACCURATE LIST you can ever have. It shows, at the most current time, what characters the metagame believes are viable. It doesn't toy with potential, nor with "what COULD happen". It only care what IS happening, which, is the only part that matters when your competing in a tournament.

You may take this as extremely harsh, but frankly I'm sick of trying to explain to new players how the tournament scene
operates.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
you guys missed the point i was just saying why this is not a tier list thing. and i know snake is not a bad character. and i know its accurate list i am just pointing out it takes more then this list to make a tier list b/c there could be some problems with it. also how do you know a couple of noob tournaments have not slipped in? Also just b/c i joined smash boards this year does not mean i am new to tournaments.

and of course popularity plays into how well some one will do. i mean mathematically you are wong the % chance a character will do better goes up with the more people who play them. its simple math here

Bwett

Smash Ace
Ok, Yoshi boards are yelling at me to post these up to boost Yoshi. Here ya go!

Bwogo Biweekly Tournament -- 7/2/08
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175785&page=9
21 entrants
$1 entry fee
Texas

Results:
1 Infinity (MK)
2 Thien (Diddy)
3 Melee1 (IC's)
4 Ice (Snake)
5 shuz (Wolf)
5 bwett1 (Yoshi)
7 Lebro (MK)
7 Fogo (Dedede)
------------------------------
All Brawl 2 -- 6/21/08
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=168037
Either 15 or 16 entrants (Your decision whether you want to add it, don't remember)
$5 entry fee
Texas

Results:
1. Infinity (MK)
2. Melee 1 (IC)
3. Ice (Snake)
4. Dm1 (Peach)
5. Fogo (D3)
5. Bwett (Yoshi)
Dunno about 7-8 places
---------------------------
Once they post the results, I have another recent tournament. Talk about activity in Texas lol.

EDIT: Saw the format I need to put it in, there we go lol. Sorry =( =( Thank you Dekuu

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
This is not a tier list, no one said it was lol. :p

bwett,

If you want to contribute tournament results, please provide the following:
MAKE SURE IT WAS AT LEAST 16 PEOPLE IN THE TOURNAMENT
Number of entrants
Entry fee
Where it was (what state it was in, or something)
Top 8, with character main for each of the top 8
Link to tournament page or results page

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
also fishkeeper i would like to say you are very rude. i 2 or 3 times in that 1st post said how this is a great list and usfull to, i was just pointing out that this might not be better then a tier list and then you get on me by saying idk anything about tournament scene which is a rude thing to do. i happen to go to as many tournaments as i can and almost eveytime come at least in the top 10 so i know plenty about the tournament scene and you looking down on me just b/c i joined smashboards this year is a shame and yes will admit that there were plenty of new people who joined this year that don't know what they are talking about and hurt te boards that way, but people like you who think they are better them me b/c they joined before 2008 also hurt these boards

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
you guys missed the point i was just saying why this is not a tier list thing. and i know snake is not a bad character. and i know its accurate list i am just pointing out it takes more then this list to make a tier list b/c there could be some problems with it. also how do you know a couple of noob tournaments have not slipped in? Also just b/c i joined smash boards this year does not mean i am new to tournaments.

and of course popularity plays into how well some one will do. i mean mathematically you are wong the % chance a character will do better goes up with the more people who play them. its simple math here

Statistics class would teach you that results fix themselves over time. The more data Ankoku collects, the better the data will be. Unpopular character are unpopular for a reason. If they are effective characters that can win tournaments, they will climb. If they are okay characters, they stay in the okay amount of usage. Even this early, we can see some patterns forming. After a year, this list will be the most effective list there is, period.

Sure, at this point, its fairly obvious that the middle section and down is very inconsistent right now, but frankly, that part of the list doesn't really matter. The top and high portions, dealing with the characters that I'm most likely to run into tournaments, is the part thats really important. I come to this list so I can ask myself "what matchups do I really need to prepare for?" when I decide to go to tournaments outside of my immediate area. Thats what tier lists are practically for. Merely telling us who's better isn't veyr useful. Whats useful is telling us which matchups to prepare for, which this list does the BEST out of any list that you can possibly make.

Any list created from Matchups and theory is only useful for showing parallels with the tournament data. Nothing else matters when your using the tier list for its practical purpose...

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

Statistics class would teach you that results fix themselves over time. The more data Ankoku collects, the better the data will be. Unpopular character are unpopular for a reason. If they are effective characters that can win tournaments, they will climb. If they are okay characters, they stay in the okay amount of usage. Even this early, we can see some patterns forming. After a year, this list will be the most effective list there is, period.

Sure, at this point, its fairly obvious that the middle section and down is very inconsistent right now, but frankly, that part of the list doesn't really matter. The top and high portions, dealing with the characters that I'm most likely to run into tournaments, is the part thats really important. I come to this list so I can ask myself "what matchups do I really need to prepare for?" when I decide to go to tournaments outside of my immediate area. Thats what tier lists are practically for. Merely telling us who's better isn't veyr useful. Whats useful is telling us which matchups to prepare for, which this list does the BEST out of any list that you can possibly make.

Any list created from Matchups and theory is only useful for showing parallels with the tournament data. Nothing else matters when your using the tier list for its practical purpose...
In melee Ice Climber and Jigglypuff were unpopular but were still **** good characters. People knew they could do well, it's just there wasn't enough good Ice Climbers and Jigglypuffs to go around.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
In melee Ice Climber and Jigglypuff were unpopular but were still **** good characters. People knew they could do well, it's just there wasn't enough good Ice Climbers and Jigglypuffs to go around.
We only knew they were good characters because select players were winning tournaments with them. But not everyone could pick them up and win tournaments. But, because we knew that Mango and Hylian could absolutely **** with those characters, we knew that they COULD be viable.

And, if they hadn't of played the characters, and shown how viable they were, someone else would have. Why? Because someone would have noticed that they were viable. It naturally happens when you have people playing to win.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
We already ****ing know it's not a tier list you fool..

Fish Keeper Timmay is not rude, wtf are you smoking.

FishKeeperTimmay, having people like you around kinda eases my urge to hit something with a 2x4.
I'm glad I stopped something from getting hit by a 2x4. Especially if it was going to be a person.

I find it interesting that I've been called grateful and loving, AND rude and obnoxious in the same thread, on the same page.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
We already ****ing know it's not a tier list you fool..

Fish Keeper Timmay is not rude, wtf are you smoking.

FishKeeperTimmay, having people like you around kinda eases my urge to hit something with a 2x4.
i was telling the guy before my 1st post it was not a tier list and/or might not be more accuare then a tier list when it is made

is that simply enough for you to understand i have said this about 3 times now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom