• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yeah... don't think of this as a tier list. Think of this as a stats sheet, nothing more. You can get information from this... but not a tier list. Leave that to the SBR.... which won't be starting until we have more information.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I dont' think Snake is going down, he's almost like a SNK boss... except you can be cheap against SNK bosses >_<

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
On another note, I'm probably going to be doing some massive restructuring to the rankings list this weekend.

Adapt

Smash Lord
maybe he will be adding all the other "top 2" rankings

Is there a way to subscribe to edits to the first post, but not a comment in the topic? if only...

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Yeah... don't think of this as a tier list. Think of this as a stats sheet, nothing more. You can get information from this... but not a tier list. Leave that to the SBR.... which won't be starting until we have more information.
No offense, OS, but tier lists are far less useful, at least to me, than actual material results.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
It's nice to see how characters are evolving in tournament play.
When is this going to get stickied?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
No offense, OS, but tier lists are far less useful, at least to me, than actual material results.
They both have their ups and downs. You can look at this and say SNAKE IS AWESOME, but if you came to the midwest and had to deal with a ton of Lucarios, some awesome ROBs, a good Wario, and a good Dedede... all of which do good against Snake... you'd be in trouble.

This list is meant to just show black and white what is winning what... a tier list merely uses tournament results rather than relies on them. A tier list is the equivalent of asking some of the most knowledgable and skilled players around "who are the best characters"; you can understand why there are ups and downs to both. Dedede might not be as high on the list as one would imagine... but a good player can tell you "Dude, D3 is good".

Danteh

Smash Cadet
E: ....................Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Link, Samus, Yoshi

I find ironic that 5 of the originals (N64) and some of the most representative of nintendo are bottom tier, huh

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
"but the "point value" system should not be cumulative. it should be RATIO of won tournies to top placings to top4 to etc. etc. the higher the ratio, the higher the placing. if you keep it cumulative, then it incorporates POPULARITY of the character. yes yes i realize that popular characters are usually the better characters, but that is subjective and that element should not be incorporated if ure trying to make an objective list based solely on data. for example, the entire east coast could all just start using ICz just for fun, and before long ICz would be S-tier. obviously thats wrong, and right now, the list is just a popularity contest. nothing else. unless thats what ure going for. but as for a rough 'tier' list to give ppl an idea of what characters are performing the best in tournies, a ratio would be much more accurate."

This idea wasnt not thought through properly.
First off it's not a tier list. Second off, a ratio would still be hindered by popularity and nothing would be accomplished. In fact a ratio would be worse.

I think the cumilative point value system is a good idea for now. I do think that the bigger the tourny the more points should be awarded.
Like a system that is similar to
4-8 PEOPLE Multiply by 2/3
9-16 PEOPLE Stay average number
17-32 PEOPLE Multiply by 1.4
33-64 PEOPLE Multiply by 2
65-128 PEOPLE Multiply by 2.5

These are all extremely rough numbers (not calculated or thought through at all) but I think in the right direction. For example it knocks out little tiny local tourny results by reducing their top scorers. It also helps recongnize the large tournament results by giving them an added bonus.
Ex. Many local tournies show for example pit does extremely well, however lets say a huge tournament 64+ Results in pit doing very terribly and lets say snake doing extremely well.
The local tournies would still bonk out the results of the large tournies, almost being redundant.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Also to note, it would be a good idea to still present all rough untranslated data. Then further on translated through a calculation.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
This list is meant to just show black and white what is winning what... a tier list merely uses tournament results rather than relies on them. A tier list is the equivalent of asking some of the most knowledgable and skilled players around "who are the best characters"; you can understand why there are ups and downs to both. Dedede might not be as high on the list as one would imagine... but a good player can tell you "Dude, D3 is good".
Fair enough.

A suggestion, then, would be to divide results by region as well (Ignore me for now, Ankoku, as I know you're already overhauling this. No need to give you more work).

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Those would be my tags.

Also, to whoever rated this thread less than 4 stars: you should feel bad. This is probably the best thread on SWF right now.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
as zelda i just got top 8 in a big long island tournament (game table)
sorry if i was not suppose to post this while you are restructuring this thread.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Results are always appreciated, but I'm only accepting tournaments with 16 or more people now. I also need a link to the tournament thread.

Zaid

Smash Rookie
Hi...
Where can I post tournament results? As I don't really know right now I'll post them in this thread. This was a 32 people tournament

1st Peach
2nd Diddy Kong
3rd Snake
4th Lucas
5th Peach
6th Lucas
7th Marth
8th Snake

the top 4 an top 8 places were etermined by the place of those who won the matches in 1st and 2nd place

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Ankoku, I feel so sorry for you. You've posted like a million times how to post tournament results...

Give placings 1-8 and their character
Link to thread
Make sure at least 16 people

Yet... it doesn't happen.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
no offense but it really doesn't help if you post what one character placed. If everyone were posting how they placed personally then the list would become corrupted and inaccurate. See what i'm saying? If you dont know the top 8, let alone the character they use, then it's pretty much a useless post boasting about how well you did in a tournament with a certain character

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
^ if you look at the tournament thread people are asking for the top 8 and when that is posted then i will be able to post it. This was my first time posting on this thread so i did not know i was suppose to post the top 8 (i did not read the whole thread so i did not know that) if it helps there was a wario who beat me and a ice climbers who also beat me were still left when i left.

edit: also i would only boast if i had come in the top 2 which sadly (for me) i did not

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Hi...
Where can I post tournament results? As I don't really know right now I'll post them in this thread. This was a 32 people tournament

1st Peach
2nd Diddy Kong
3rd Snake
4th Lucas
5th Peach
6th Lucas
7th Marth
8th Snake

the top 4 an top 8 places were etermined by the place of those who won the matches in 1st and 2nd place
Check the front page, I left specific instructions.

If you want to contribute tournament results, please provide the following:
MAKE SURE IT WAS AT LEAST 16 PEOPLE IN THE TOURNAMENT
Entry fee
Number of entrants
Where it was (what state it was in, or something)
Top 8, with character main for each of the top 8
Link to tournament page or results page

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
Jesus! Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Ness, Link, Samus, and Yoshi are bottom, as they should be, but Luigi? Mario? Really? I expected more play of them. That sucks to see. Otherwise, it's weird how this formula has dropped DK and ROB a whole rank and brought up Lucario a rank or so. It seems...weird...cuz ROB was pretty much scrapping with D3 for third place in the rankings and now they're both under the likes of Lucario, Falco, and Olimar.

...weird...

But I definitely understand. This formula is a lot more accurate.

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
Jesus! Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Ness, Link, Samus, and Yoshi are bottom, as they should be, but Luigi? Mario? Really? I expected more play of them. That sucks to see. Otherwise, it's weird how this formula has dropped DK and ROB a whole rank and brought up Lucario a rank or so. It seems...weird...cuz ROB was pretty much scrapping with D3 for third place in the rankings and now they're both under the likes of Lucario, Falco, and Olimar.

...weird...

But I definitely understand. This formula is a lot more accurate.
I'm not sure how many tourneys he has imputed into this new system but if it's just the summer ones, lucario was in 3rd behind only MK and snake...if it's all of them, then yes, it did bump him up quite a bit.

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
whats the reasoning for including entry fee?

I don't understand why a win in a 32 man $5 tournament is less important then a win in a $15 tournament.
unless maybe, a way to estimate the seriousness of the competition?

Are you going on the logic that more scrubs will show up to a $5 tournament, since it's cheeper, then to a $15 one?

And if someone hosted a sponsored tournament as a publicity thing, with no entry fee, it doesn't count? (don't think it will ever happen, but i'm the kind of person that thinks up every scenario)
or if 16 rich guys hold a $1000 entry tournament.

I'm not telling you to change anything, since those things will probably never happen, but i do want to know how you reasoned that entry fee was important.

Also, i asked previously about AUS, and with entry fee being counted, how are you going to account for currency?
just pretend it's 1:1 for simplicity?
or maybe convert it to US? but then it doesn't account for the different spending habbits (eg, brawl will be $80 dollars, here, and thats much cheeper then most games)

sorry for rambling, but yeah.
why did you decide that entry fee mattered, and how will you deal with pal regions currencies? is the point of my post.

I'm pretty sure high entry fee tournaments usually have high top prizes, which in turn would attract more skilled players and more people overall.

Anyways, I'm assuming you're only doing this new formula for the Summer list, as if you did the ENTIRE thing.....well that would just be too much work for one man to do alone.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
nice new system ankoku

lol @ wario's current spot
i'm sure somebody will bring him up this list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom