• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character matchups you can never win?

16BitGeek

Smash Rookie
NNID
16BitGeek
Can't win against :4jigglypuff:. His floaty style grants him the ability to dodge all my attacks, and he keeps smacking me around.
Oh I totally forgot Jigglypuff too! I struggle with Puff for the exact same reason. Just casually dodging my attacks and then strikes when it has the chance.

Dragonspiller

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dragonspiller
3DS FC
0748-2110-7145
Oh I totally forgot Jigglypuff too! I struggle with Puff for the exact same reason. Just casually dodging my attacks and then strikes when it has the chance.
Luckily Shulk's air slash can some times counter puffs floutyness.

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
As a jack of all trades win im seriously trying to win with ike/shiek i cant touch sonic yoshi or wario players sonics to fast and combos to well wariors bike is just obnoxious and fighting yoshi i have no idea what to do the eggs and dash attack drive me nuts.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
As a jack of all trades win im seriously trying to win with ike/shiek i cant touch sonic yoshi or wario players sonics to fast and combos to well wariors bike is just obnoxious and fighting yoshi i have no idea what to do the eggs and dash attack drive me nuts.
As Ike, you can always use the down special if the opponent is using an attack that involves touching you. I don't know much about Sheik because I never use her, but I believe she's fast and could easily dodge some of those attacks.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
As Ike, you can always use the down special if the opponent is using an attack that involves touching you. I don't know much about Sheik because I never use her, but I believe she's fast and could easily dodge some of those attacks.
Counters like the FE characters aren't usually recommended in competitive play because smart players can bait them and punish them HARD.

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
Why can't you win with Shiek? She probably has the best neutral game in Smash 4 and the best MU spread.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Why can't you win with Shiek? She probably has the best neutral game in Smash 4 and the best MU spread.
She has trouble killing like in Brawl (though not nearly as bad here), but it's still enough to cost her matchups. Remember the Lucario matchup in Brawl? Still pretty bad for her in this game, but not enough to be a -2 like it was in Brawl. She also has still has trouble with Luigi IMO, and Kirby, another troublesome matchup for her in Brawl, is roughly even according to everyone else in the Smash 4 metagame. Characters with extremely good up-close games can give her a bit of trouble since her jab and tilts don't do a very good job spacing or keeping people off her, especially vs. floaties, when opponents like that can either just DI or nair out of her ftilt or jab.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Just cant beat yoshi I dont see many warios so his bike makes me face desk and I don't know what to against sonic
Actually Sheik can just nair Wario off his bike. It shouldn't give you trouble at all if you know how to respond to it. I do it against so many Warios who think they spam it on me all the time, and it pisses them off. lol

Last edited:

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
Actually Sheik can just nair Wario off his bike. It shouldn't give you trouble at all if you know how to respond to it. I do it against so many Warios who think they spam it on me all the time, and it pisses them off. lol
i have much to learn i suppose i dont blame the character just my inabiltly to win except for sonic i hate that guy lol

HFlash

NNID
HFlash
Just cant beat yoshi I dont see many warios so his bike makes me face desk and I don't know what to against sonic
Actually, I know for a fact which is confirmed by others on the Yoshi boards that in fact, shiek does beat yoshi. Her speed and mobility allows her to completely by pass the egg and although Yoshi can play up close, he prefers to play a zoney, in and out play style. /if your having trouble vs yoshi as shiek, you may not be playing fast enough, and that shouldn't be too hard as she is one of the only characters in the game who can get away with going ham in SM4SH.

And your solution to sonic: hold down A to clank rolling attack or shield grab

She has trouble killing like in Brawl (though not nearly as bad here), but it's still enough to cost her matchups. Remember the Lucario matchup in Brawl? Still pretty bad for her in this game, but not enough to be a -2 like it was in Brawl. She also has still has trouble with Luigi IMO, and Kirby, another troublesome matchup for her in Brawl, is roughly even according to everyone else in the Smash 4 metagame. Characters with extremely good up-close games can give her a bit of trouble since her jab and tilts don't do a very good job spacing or keeping people off her, especially vs. floaties, when opponents like that can either just DI or nair out of her ftilt or jab.
I'd agree with the consensus, at worst the MU for those characters is even except for lucario if only for the fact of the aura. Via raw damage, she does have a hard time killing, but if you can get a good ledgeguard, or fair--->fair---->fish off stage combo, she CAN kill very early.

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
My main :4sonic: has trouble dealing with campy :4link:. When I finally get through his wall of projectiles, his sword keeps me from getting many hits. Also hate dealing with:4bowserjr:users who spam the side B and jump out so they have no ending lag. Is there a safe move I can use against that to where I out prioritize or we just cancel each other out.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I'd agree with the consensus, at worst the MU for those characters is even except for lucario if only for the fact of the aura. Via raw damage, she does have a hard time killing, but if you can get a good ledgeguard, or fair--->fair---->fish off stage combo, she CAN kill very early.
Unless the opponent has a stupid good recovery (why can't recoveries be normal again like Melee?), something akin to Sonic for example. >.>

HFlash

NNID
HFlash
Any tips for a Marth against Wario. His stupid bike pisses me off.
Be safe and use spaced fairs. Kind of Marth's bread and butter and how you should be playing him. IF you do that corrctly, you can knock him off the bike np.

Unless the opponent has a stupid good recovery (why can't recoveries be normal again like Melee?), something akin to Sonic for example. >.>
I honestly like the fact that SMASH 4 is so different from melee. Sure, some characters have bad recoveries but the fact that you can't gimp via ledge guarding makes those characters viable in the game. Diversity is good my friend :)

Last edited:

Ilnez

Smash Rookie
I play :4sheik: and I'm still getting used to it. I struggle against my friends when they play some of the characters that are easiest to play as newer players. Mainly:4littlemac:and :4shulk: and :4luigi:. That counter being able to be used when I use my up-ground set-up and pretty much can never be knocked off if he's in green mode.

Any tips to beating these, especially :4littlemac: and :4shulk:.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I play :4sheik: and I'm still getting used to it. I struggle against my friends when they play some of the characters that are easiest to play as newer players. Mainly:4littlemac:and :4shulk: and :4luigi:. That counter being able to be used when I use my up-ground set-up and pretty much can never be knocked off if he's in green mode.

Any tips to beating these, especially :4littlemac: and :4shulk:.
Little Mac: Go to edge. Use back throw. Jump off edge. Hit further away. Note Little Mac has no recovery. Laugh.

Shulk: Play defensively. Back slash and missed counters leave him very open.

Papercut

Smash Rookie
Be safe and use spaced fairs. Kind of Marth's bread and butter and how you should be playing him. IF you do that corrctly, you can knock him off the bike np.

I honestly like the fact that SMASH 4 is so different from melee. Sure, some characters have bad recoveries but the fact that you can't gimp via ledge guarding makes those characters viable in the game. Diversity is good my friend :)
Thanks for the tips. Ever since who knows when, I've been using Marth's nairs too often that I've neglected his core moves. I think my mistake is using nairs as an approach while it should be used as a punish.

Last edited:

-Yasuo

Smash Rookie
NNID
AYoshiEgg
i main :4sheik: and :4dedede:, the heros i have the most trouble against are probably :4zss::4pikachu::4yoshi: and :4ness:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
i main :4sheik: and :4dedede:, the heros i have the most trouble against are probably :4zss::4pikachu::4yoshi: and :4ness:
:4dedede: vs :4ness:
One thing I've learned is that Super Dedede Jump can be used to prevent recovery if used on the edge. PK Flash and PK Thunder 2 also leave Ness vulnerable. Use the forward smash for Flash, and an upward Gordo Throw for an offensive Thunder 2. Dedede's down tilt is also good for just about anyone.

waluigithewalrus

Smash Cadet
I struggle against three characters in particular: :4pikachu:, :4greninja:, and :4ness:. The high speed they have always gives me headaches. Plus Greninja's substitute just rips me apart. I also struggle a bit against :4jigglypuff:, but almost everyone I play eventually whiffs with rest, so that becomes easy.

I think I'd struggle with a few more, but in for glory mode, half the characters don't appear on a regular basis, so yeah.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
"Never" is such a strong word, but I generally have a difficult time with :4fox: and :4yoshi: at the moment.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
As a Rosalina main, a highly skilled :4falcon: is like a disease that can't be cured and I also had trouble with :4dedede: as well. I don't know how to deal with those two.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
As a :zelda::kirby2::dk2::4megaman:main, I always have trouble with :link2:. He always just jumps to the opposite side of the stage and bombards me with projectiles. I once played a Link I couldn't land a single hit on because he kept his distance and pushed me away with arrows (This was with DK). I'd appreciate any tips I could get. And for Mega Man, please don't tell me to counter with my own projectiles. I never use his specials unless I'm trying to recover, and his normal attack projectiles have too short a range.

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
As a Villager main, the :4palutena:matchup is really, really difficult because of her instant massive wall that reflects 3/4ths of my attacks. This applies to anyone with a reflector really, but I find that good Palutenas can easily shut me down more so than the others.
I can relate as a villager main and a megaman main. Any character with a reflector can make the match up, long and difficult.

samekh

Smash Rookie
I hate people who spam with :4littlemac:.
My main is :4rob: and :4olimar::/ can't stand a chance against little macs. :mad:

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
Whenever I see a :4dedede: or a :4charizard:,Im probably gonna have to step my game up a little further.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I hate people who spam with :4littlemac:.
My main is :4rob: and :4olimar::/ can't stand a chance against little macs. :mad:
I think you generally may have to play more defensively against Mac as those characters.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
:4sheik: Easily by far. Yoshi gets demolished up close and Shiek closes the gap quickly preventing any egg toss camping. Fair strings into a bouncing fish KO is also not fun either.

Matchups that I really have to work for would be any smart player as :4villager:or:4megaman:. They both have projectiles to stuff approaches and can easily rack up damage to KO %.

Top Bottom