• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character matchups you can never win?

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
I haven't played a lot of online yet (Wii U) but my brother mains :4littlemac: and :4wario2:'s wheelie destroys him if not blocked. Even the KO punch doesn't make him flinch. I hate :rosalina: when I play :4duckhunt: because the luma eats your projectiles. I have to be careful against:4villager: as :4rob: or :4wario2: because of pocket.

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
Unless custom moves are on, I have real trouble closing out a KO against :4lucina::4marth: with :4robinf: since they have better range with aerials and smashes. :4sonic: also gives her trouble, making her one of my more questionable characters.

I almost never run into :4villager:, but for some reason, every time I do, the person is the most amazing player I've ever encountered. I still can't tell if Villager actually gives me trouble or if I'm just randomly getting all the good players of this character. (On the flip side, every :4zss: player I've gone against was pretty bad.) :4falco: is in the same boat where I rarely see him, but if I do see him then the player is going to be incredible. And I only wish that I could run into the :4littlemac: scrubs that some of you encounter; I've never seen one who's less than great. Also never seen one who's as good as the best Villagers or Falcos, but still.

Finally, I play 20+ characters and it takes a lot to make me drop one, but at least for now I've given up :4gaw::4luigi: because I have no idea what they're supposed to do against characters with good physical projectiles like :4duckhunt::4link::4rob::4tlink:. All of my other characters have at least some options.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I mainly have problems against :4greninja::4sonic: due to their speed and my inexperience against them.
All of which apply to :4shulk::4megaman::4robinm:.

P1 Jake

Smash Rookie
NNID
P1-Jake
3DS FC
4398-9435-7143
I always dread fighting even a decent :4dedede:, no matter what character I'm using.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I always dread fighting even a decent :4dedede:, no matter what character I'm using.
Since you have Luci listed as a main, can't you just Counter DeDeDe? Other than that, I have nothing else besides baiting, waiting, and looking for openings.

D

Deleted member 245254

I don't go in to any match thinking that it's impossible for me to win, no matter what character pops up. How do you expect to win with that mindset? I think whether I win or lose tends to depend on my opponents skills rather than the character they picked, more often than not.

As a Sonic main and assuming my opponent is skilled, I get pretty salty fighting Gannondorf. Everything he does seems to out-prioritize what I do, and he's so damn strong per hit that he lumps on the same damage in one attack that takes me 10 seconds to deal in some string. That frustrates me. To make matters worse Sonic is one of the only characters helpless to his command grab > dtilt combo. Ugh.

Next, Link. I think this is attributed to For Glory lag though. A projectile spamming Link can make me crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
NNID
TheBeardalls
3DS FC
3539-9009-9936
Whenever I play online, I don't have that much difficulty against other people. I can fight three people in a row that use the same character, and the results can vary since it's different people. So what matchups push me into the corner? It honestly depends on who you're up against and what characters the other person and I use during said match. I remember fighting this one guy who played as ZSS, and goddamn was he/she good during those matches.

Like I said, it depends on who you're against and the characters the two of you use. So have fun with the characters you use.

Shadow9841

Smash Rookie
I always, ALWAYS struggle against a good Ness, or a really good Lucario. The way they always shave off a huge amount of percentage points off of me so quickly is ridiculous.

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
Yoshi..I cant remember ever beating one....=_=.

I also have a toon link phobia due to a crap ton of local matches against a friend.

D

Deleted member 269706

Ganon is a threat to me, but only when I'm playing Ike...

Chakra-X

Smash Cadet
I have more-commong-than-woukd-like trouble with :4ness: and :4wario2:, with the occasional :4ganondorf:. Ness's grab and attacking range, mainly in the air, throw me off. Wario's Bike and great Air maneuverability are hard to approach, and Ganon I feel like every mistake I make give me like 25% damage every time because of my bad reads.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
As a Villager main, the :4palutena:matchup is really, really difficult because of her instant massive wall that reflects 3/4ths of my attacks. This applies to anyone with a reflector really, but I find that good Palutenas can easily shut me down more so than the others.

EvilShadow777

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1177-8767-4539
Funny enough playing against so many Greninjas, Little Macs, and Rosalinas I have no issue dealing with them since I understand their play styles. I can also usually keep up with a good Sheik.

The characters that give me the most trouble are :4zss::4diddy:and :4rob:. I usually play Ike so Diddy is a straight up hard counter to my main and as for zss and Rob they both have long range poke with great mid/close range options. They get pretty absurd in good hands.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
This thread makes Rosaluma sound like the Devil.

I must be God lol

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
As a Dr. Mario player my matchups are well rounded (usually 6:4 mild disadvantage for Doc, 5:5 sometimes and OCCASIONALLY 6:4 Doc advantage) so the few matchups I think Doc outright loses are probably Marth, IMO. That's like, the only one I think I'd switch for. Everything else is likely easily possible.

Noga

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4768-7800-6903
My worst matchup it's :4diddy:, but that only applies when I'm playing :4dedede:. I have an easier time if I use :4rob: or :4ludwig:.

Udlr Customs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
UDLR Hanzo
I main Charizard. So a decent Shiek player can give me a really hard time. Once Shieks air combos get going I cant seem to find an answer

Tali_Zorha

Smash Rookie
Mega man can give me lots of trouble. So can Ness and Villager
but i don't see them to often. The characthers i play as is luigi, Rosalina, and samus.

A while back i had i problems with little mac but not any more. :)
think i'm pretty good at adapting to certain characters play style. within a some more matches with the three i stated. i'm sure they won't be much of a problem.

hopefully anyway.

Last edited:

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
My worst matchup is against Lucario. That aura ability gets really annoying :/ I find that if I don't spike him around 30-40%, he's going to beat me with his ludicrous recovery! Haha

RosaLuma's also pretty bad, and Olimar may or may not be , as I've only fought one in For Glory (though he was SERIOUSLY pro) xD

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
Lucarios seem to give me the most trouble only when their percentage gets high. At low percents I'm doing just fine, but then at higher percents the tables just turn :/.

Desjah Rei

Smash Rookie
I don't know about worst, but I am seriously thrown off when I fight odd characters. In particular, Pacman and Duck Hunt.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I play Ike, so I'm used to out-spacing pretty much everyone (except Shulk, of course). I find myself struggling most against characters who I can't space well, particularly King Dedede and Zero Suit Samus. I just really have to work overtime to approach those two. D3 especially just has deceptively long hitboxes. The combination of ZSS's projectiles to force an approach and long whip to space really mess with my rhythm. Obviously the skill of the player is far more important than the character in most cases, but in the case of D3 I don't think I've beaten a single one online out of the ~5 I've fought.

DiverseStyle

Smash Cadet
Mainly just :4diddy:. I can pretty much adapt to any character as :4shulk: but that monkey's just a slippery little bugger. Granted it's my own lack of understanding of dealing with the matchup, but too often it's just slip, slip, grab, grab, monkey tail.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Link dittos are the worst.
Projectiles are my bread and butter and they clank, also I know what moves to expect when facing a Link but I can never seem to use that to my advantage.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
I can never beat my friend when he plays Villager. He ends up playing super defensive a lot. The only battle I've won against him is with Shulk because he was careless with the Timber and I ended up countering it.

DiamondDust

Prime Time Player
NNID
MaysTheCraze
Duck Hunt and Villager. I play super aggressive, so I can't stand fighting characters that just sit back and shoot stuff (not that I have a problem with people playing like that). Both those character just seem to shut down a lot of approaches.

Uffe

Smash Hero
:4bowser:³ I've been 2 stocked by him a few times. Not really sure why that is since I know what he's doing. I'm not sure how to deal with his multihit attacks.
:4dedede:He's just weird. I feel like I can't get close to this guy.
:rosalina:Gimp marathon against her. Her dash attack is annoying. She looks like a dolphin poking its head out of the water when she does it. Why does it hit me through my shield?
:4duckhunt:Against a good player, he's nearly impossible to get to without taking much damage. I've beaten him many times, but against someone who does the old bait and switch properly with him, the game usually ends up timing out and me losing.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
more often than not, I don't ever get to fight the entire cast, so some matchups I can't determine...

there was this one Greninja during an Alabama monthly who predominantly used Up throws to chaining Uairs, Up Smash was the go-to anti-Air launcher, and most other moves were not used as much, the guy beat me consistently with that.

online, however, I've recently had trouble with a very grabby mario... had a tough time keeping my cool because peppering me with fireballs whittled at my patience. not a whole lot of other fighters, except I dread fighting lightweight fighters that float (Peach, Kirby, MK, Puff).

Also... While I main Shulk and second Robin and occasionally Dark Pit, I've been starting to learn little mac... and am amazed how so FEW macs i run into in For Glory utilize a Wall-jump to UpB as a recovery option. I've won many matches on 4 Glory because of it...though i suppose i should discuss that more on the little mac board...

Last edited:
Top Bottom