• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Hitboxes - HARDCORE DOTS EDITION

Gowa

Smash Apprentice
any grapple-like grab sucks

yoshi (can parry grab) > samus (range is good) > link (ok grab)

NixxxoN

Smash Master

Imo samus grab is better than Link's... not that much slower but quite larger and kinda mindgames the opponent aswell with that fake hit movement

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Pika's grab range is simply nice. Power and speed are also a good factor.

DK beats Pika in all those aspects though. Falcon's dash grab is certainly quite nice.

Ok, Yoshi has parry grab. Does that even make it better than the other two tethers? *thinks about it* Maybe Samus'

In terms of power, Samus' trumps all but the longer move duration PLUS slower speed REALLY makes samus vulnerable when she misses. Link's is probably the best, as it has decent damage, decent speed, and decent duration. Yoshi has crap range, crap power, decent speed. Combined with parry, it has its uses (less so, if you can parry usmash or parry djc) and you can also grab out of a djc fair on shield. You can also stop an nair short of a djc shield break and grab if you feel it would be in your best interest.

Link has fair, uair, and ff dair --> guaranteed grab

Samus has charged shot --> guaranteed grab (if close enough)

In all I would still say something like this

Link > Yoshi > Samus

Yoshi and samus switching are debatable. But I think link wins.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I think that when you know the exact moments to use samus grab, you almost never miss. Samus grab has an uber hax range plus a lot of power, also the grab hitbox is better than the others as it lasts longer (if i'm not wrong). Samus > Link > Yoshi

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Link's is cool for combos in the tent. Samus' is good for edgeguarding. Yoshi is just...meh

Link>Samus>Yoshi IMO

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I think that when you know the exact moments to use samus grab, you almost never miss. Samus grab has an uber hax range plus a lot of power, also the grab hitbox is better than the others as it lasts longer (if i'm not wrong). Samus > Link > Yoshi
You have no idea how many times I thought I has a samus grab and then they rolled towards me and sidestepped the hitbox. They also had plenty of leisure to just turn around and U-smash me after that. I miss Samus' grab more than I miss Yoshi's or Link's

Gowa

Smash Apprentice
parry grabbing is extremely situational so i think in terms of whose grab is better i'd say

samus > link > yoshi

changed my mind

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Its not that situational when you get to a certain level...lol

If we are ranking these grabs we should do it from a really advanced mindset. Someone like prince, sossi or even sheer can parry grab fairly frequently.

Heck, I am starting to get the hang of it myself, and I am miles away from sheer. My yoshi is getting quite nice tho :3

The Star King

Smash Hero
By "situational", I think he means Yoshi usually has a better option out of a parry, not that there are few situations where it can be done. I use parry grabbing quite a bit myself, but I have to admit that in most cases doing a djc aerial probably would have been a better choice.

Gowa

Smash Apprentice
edit: what star king said

and

parry grabs are for the most part situational because yoshi's grab range is abysmal so you usually have to rely on baiting your opponent to attack you and parry rather than just going out there and grabbing

Battlecow

Play to Win
Link>Samus>Yoshi

Don't play link or teh dino, so maybe I'm bias. But I almost never get grabbed when playing against Yoshi.

rpotts

Smash Lord
I think you had already added Samus's grab, as there are now two grab links (seem to be identical)

Looking at the hitboxes it seems links is slightly faster moving that the others, but samus's is the longest lasting and largest, and yoshi's just sucks. relatively short range and short lasting, with still a bunch of ending lag.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Oops, that was my faulty organization. Can anyone suggest an easier format to organize these attacks? If I could make a table-like format, that'd be great but I don't know how.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
If you just color the Character Name and make it a little bigger then making an unordered list with all the moves for each character would suffice.

methinks

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
What if you organized it by what it was, then have the character names as the gifs. Like.....

N-AIR:
Samus
DK
Mario

then

F-AIR
Samus
Yoshi

If you did it like that, then people would know what they were looking for, and could compare them to different characters side by side. It would also help people figure out what they want to see I think...... seeing a character absent in one of the sections would probably rase more questions about them. Like a Parry section, and have yoshi's parry, and c.falcos jump parry, and dk's down B parry. Just an idea.... not fully formed.....

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Added:

• Samus nair
  • Falcon high fsmash
  • Falcon low fsmash

What if you organized it by what it was, then have the character names as the gifs. Like.....

N-AIR:
Samus
DK
Mario

then

F-AIR
Samus
Yoshi

If you did it like that, then people would know what they were looking for, and could compare them to different characters side by side. It would also help people figure out what they want to see I think...... seeing a character absent in one of the sections would probably rase more questions about them. Like a Parry section, and have yoshi's parry, and c.falcos jump parry, and dk's down B parry. Just an idea.... not fully formed.....
I like this idea. I'll implement it when I have time.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
And I'd say use alphabetic order

BTW so it seems Samus has clearly the better and longer lasting hitbox :awesome:

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
I figure Smash attacks and the basic moves will be easy to sort. Stuff like djc and parries can stand alone........ I will try and sort them out into different categories by friday, give you a draft list or something kk.

I kind of agree with gamme for once. they should turn this into a sticky. no more of this thread falling to the second page. I think we all have questioned we sort out here monthly.

Gowa

Smash Apprentice
I think you had already added Samus's grab, as there are now two grab links (seem to be identical)

Looking at the hitboxes it seems links is slightly faster moving that the others, but samus's is the longest lasting and largest, and yoshi's just sucks. relatively short range and short lasting, with still a bunch of ending lag.
just like i thought

samus: long range and lasts longer

link: faster than samus' grab but less range and disappears faster

yoshi: short range and it barely lasts

samus > link > yoshi

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
The main reason why I think Yoshi's grab is much worse is due to application. As said, why grab when Yoshi can just do a massive DJC combo or up tilt into something.

Samus:
Pros:
Useful as there usually isn't a better option when Samus can grab successfully
Charge shot to grab is a moderately easy setup
Very Long range
Powerful
Cons:
Very laggy
Is powerful enough that it is impossible to combo with it except for possibly on walls
Is poor at wall combos

Link:
Pros:
Powerful
Longer range than most
Not overly laggy compared to other grabs
Great at wall combos
Easy to setup due to many aerials.

Cons:
Shorter range than Samus's
Usually Link has a better option than grabbing

Yoshi
Pros
Long range
somewhat powerful
You can parry into it
(your opponent is open, use a laggy move that doesn't combo)

Cons
Virtually no way to set it up as aerials are usually too slow
Parrying is difficult and situational
If the opponent just used a laggy move why would you want to grab when you can just do a move that combo's
Low power for how much lag it has
As said, Laggy

Samus=Link > Yoshi

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Link's grab has the best velocity (and I think the Link gif is even running slower than the samus gif if I'm not mistaken? Same either way though.) Samus has a nice hitbox, but it is dodged more easily, even if you didn't expect it.

Peek~

Smash Lord
Requesting

Ness Ftilt
Ness DJC-sliding Bair

You know, the kind people use to approach

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Link's grab has the best velocity (and I think the Link gif is even running slower than the samus gif if I'm not mistaken? Same either way though.) Samus has a nice hitbox, but it is dodged more easily, even if you didn't expect it.
All my GIFS are recorded at 10 FPS.

Added:

- DK's dsmash
- DK's fsmash
- Samus's down B

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
The Samus's Down B and DK's Fsmash are as I expected.
But the DK's Dsmash, **** it's good, just get sure it'll connect when you do it... xD

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
looks good.

Samus' down b amuses me. They got so lazy about HIS animation, they just made the rest of HIS limbs invincible.

Top Bottom