• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Decided to try my hand at designing a moveset for Jace while the day is young.
Stats:
Weight - Medium / Floaty
Air Speed - Slow
Dash Speed - Slow
Jump Height - Medium (long floaty Double Jump similar to PK kids / Mewtwo)

General Playstyle:
Jace is a slow defensive character that has good tools to deal with being in disadvantage and shift the pace of the game in his favor, but lacks general kill options. He's got some zoning tools, but they generally lack range and has some disjointed hitbox normal moves, that again, lack range.

Gimmick:
Similar to Link's Hero's Shields, Jace will Counterspell projectiles if he's standing still, nullifying them.

Specials:
Neutral B "Fact or Fiction"
Jace sends a phantasm which dashes forward in the direction he's facing. This move can be charged and functions similar to Zelda's Down B. If you press B again at any time during the move, Jace will swap places with his phantasm.

The move deals decent damage and knockback, and can be used to kill. The swapping can be used to escape or to follow up on attacks, but there will be a delayed animation before Jace can act again after swapping.

Side B "Blue Elemental Blast"
Jace shoots forward a wispy blue fireball which travels a short distance. If blue elemental blast clashes with another projectile it will absorb it, increasing in size and gaining more damage, knockback, and distance.

The move functions kind of similarly to wolf's laser, but without the bayonetta and travels about 2/3 of the distance

Down B "Spark Double"
Jace creates 2 illusions that appear on either side of him. By tapping right or left while the illusions fly out of him, he will swap places with that illusion (there's no animation for this). The illusions mimic Jace's movements exactly and will disappear upon taking any amount of damage or if Jace uses an offensive move / grab.

This move is primarily a defensive tool, though it can also be used as an approach option as the illusions will each absorb a single attack before disappearing.

Up B "Brainstorm"
A set of blue symbols circles around Jace's head and gives him a bit of vertical distance if used in the air. Jace's next damaging move becomes empowered dealing more damage (similar to Incineroar's Revenge).

Tilts:
Jab - Jace extends his palm forwards and emits waves of blue energy. Functions identically to Mewtwo's jab except more blue and less purple.

Side Tilt - Jace swipes horizontally with his arm creating a crescent of blue energy that slashes the area immediately in front of him. This move comes out decently fast but does low damage and knockback.

Down Tilt - Jace puts his fingers to his temple and emits a short blast of blue energy from his forehead. This move deals negligible damage and no knockback but will immediately reverse the way an opponent is facing similar to Mario's cape.

Up Tilt - Jace does a swipe with his arm from the direction he's facing to behind him, creating a crescent of blue energy that slashes the area immediately in front of him. Looks and functions similar to Marth's Utilt but with a much smaller hitbox.

Aerials:
Nair - Jace puts fingers on both hands to his temples and emits a quick burst of blue energy. Functions similarly to Nairs like Greninja's and Sephiroth's.

Fair - Jace extends does a hammer swinging motion with his arm and an arc of blue energy follows it. This move has a sweet spot at the bottom of the arc which can spike.

Bair - Jace does a Batman cape smack and swings his cape in front of him.

Dair - Jace does a Batman cape smack and swings his cape below him

Uair - Jace sends a ball of blue energy which starts behind him and travels counterclockwise around him dealing damage to any enemies struck

Smash Attacks:
Forward Smash - Jace punches forward and a blue phantasmal clone of him will partially form in front of him imitating the swing. Does average damage and knockback for a forward smash.

Up Smash - Jace extends his arm with his index and middle finger pointed upwards, which then unleashes a blast of blue energy from his fingertips. This move does pretty good damage and knockback but only hits immediately above Jace similar to Lucas/Ivysaur up Smash.

Down Smash - Jace crosses his arms in a meditative pose then releases a wave of bluish energy that hits both sides. If timed correctly this move will reflect projectiles. It does okay knockback, but has lots of end lag.
That is a cool moveset. I especially like the ideas for his clone attacks. They seem like they would be really unique and fun. I probably would have given him a dedicated counter or reflector move but your idea works well too.

Pillow

Smash Lord
That is a cool moveset. I especially like the ideas for his clone attacks. They seem like they would be really unique and fun. I probably would have given him a dedicated counter or reflector move but your idea works well too.
A counterattack would be very fitting, I just feel like Down B counter attacks in Smash have been kind of done to death already.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
A counterattack would be very fitting, I just feel like Down B counter attacks in Smash have been kind of done to death already.
Yeah you have a point there. My thoughts were something along the lines of Lucario’s counter where Jace disappears and a clone of him counterattacks. Some kind of forward B reflector would be interesting too if there is a good way to make it stand out compared to the others.

Another question, what plane do you think would make for the best stage? For Jace, I would personally go with Ravnica since it played such an important role in the story of the modern day planeswalkers.

1622591188884.jpeg

If they went with Urza instead, I think I’d probably go with either the Tolarian Academy from Dominaria or maybe even somewhere in Phyrexia.

1622591463341.png

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Yeah you have a point there. My thoughts were something along the lines of Lucario’s counter where Jace disappears and a clone of him counterattacks. Some kind of forward B reflector would be interesting too if there is a good way to make it stand out compared to the others.

Another question, what plane do you think would make for the best stage? For Jace, I would personally go with Ravnica since it played suchan important role in the story of the modern day planeswalkers.

View attachment 317432

If they went with Urza instead, I think I’d probably go with either the Tolarian Academy from Dominaria or maybe even somewhere in Phyrexia.

View attachment 317434
Ravnica would probably be best, it's been the most revisited plane for a reason. Though if they went really wild with it, I could see a stage that was constantly shifting between several planes, kinda like Castle Siege.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Ravnica would probably be best, it's been the most revisited plane for a reason. Though if they went really wild with it, I could see a stage that was constantly shifting between several planes, kinda like Castle Siege.
That’s an awesome idea. If they went with the plane shifting stage, which other planes would you like to see? I think the world of Zendikar is really cool and I’d love to see New Phyrexia as well as Amonkhet since I’m a big fan of the ancient Egyptian aesthetic.

This is Zendikar. It’s known for its crazy landscapes and floating islands. I think it is one of the most interesting planes in Magic.

1622596196100.jpeg

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I can't say Magic lore is something I know much about, but the passion here is great and the premise of representing physical non-video games is an amusing one, even if I don't think it's going to happen unless, like, a MTG-themed expansion to Clubhouse Games happens first.

So, what are our Mii Costumes and can one of them be dressing up as a basic land card? You know, something like this!

basicland.png

Noms: Cadence x All

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I can't say Magic lore is something I know much about, but the passion here is great and the premise of representing physical non-video games is an amusing one, even if I don't think it's going to happen unless, like, a MTG-themed expansion to Clubhouse Games happens first.

So, what are our Mii Costumes and can one of them be dressing up as a basic land card? You know, something like this!

Man, these Mii costume deconfirmations are brutal. That was my most waaanted! T_T

Jokes aside, I wonder if an MtG character would benefit from some kind of "cards" mechanic. I only say this because blue's defining mechanic (possibly second to counterspells) is card draw, so I feel like I would expect to see that even if I have no idea what that would even mean.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I’d love to see some representation from the other original Planeswalkers.

Garruk is in green in the top left. He is a savage hunter and beast tamer so Brawler could work. Lilliana is in the top middle. She is a necromancer and uses dark magic. She’d probably be best as a gunner. Ajani is on the top right. He is basically a paladin specializing in healing spells and defensive play. Mii sword fighter could work here. Chandra is on the bottom left. She’s a pyromancer and has a ton of fire based magic. She’d probably be another gunner. Finally, Jace is on the bottom right and he’d be the playable character.

1622596579693.jpeg

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Alright, so: Who would make up Jace's Spirit Board? I'm curious as to the overall main cast of the series.
Beyond the original Llorwyn Planeswalkers, other major characters include Nissa Revane and Gideon Jura of the Gatewatch (basically Magic’s equivalent of the Avengers). Nissa and Gideon are pictured on the right side.

1622597726880.jpeg

Beyond that, Teferi is another major Planeswalker and time mage. Urza was the original Magic protagonist and Nicol Bolas is one of the major villains and is a dragon planeswalker.

Here is Teferi

1622598086608.jpeg

Here is Urza again for those that missed it last time I posted:

1622598851899.jpeg

Finally, this Nicol Bolas

1622598344938.jpeg

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
It looks like Pillow referenced specific cards for all of Jace’s specials but created the rest of his moves from scratch. I think that makes a lot of sense.
From looking at Pillow's moveset it feels like without the essence of MtG being a card game Jace feels more like your standard fantasy mage from a distance (and I'm aware about his role in the.. lore). Say how many cards are there that featured Jace as an artwork? If there's a lot I could see it be implemented in his down B where he draw a card and you have to use it before drawing again ( I believe you can stack up cards in the original game) kinda like Hero's selection menu but it is in a similar manner to the Mystery Box from Mario Kart.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
From looking at Pillow's moveset it feels like without the essence of MtG being a card game Jace feels more like your standard fantasy mage from a distance (and I'm aware about his role in the.. lore). Say how many cards are there that featured Jace as an artwork? If there's a lot I could see it be implemented in his down B where he draw a card and you have to use it before drawing again kinda like Hero's selection menu but it is in a similar manner to the Mystery Box from Mario Kart.
Since Jace is one of the main characters in Magic, there are tons of cards that feature Jace in the art (probably at least a hundred but I never counted). I’m not sure if there’s an easy way to look up how many cards feature Jace in the art, but there are 25 cards with Jace in its name.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord

Forest is the strongest card in Magic, so this costume is pretty terrifying and hilarious.

From looking at Pillow's moveset it feels like without the essence of MtG being a card game Jace feels more like your standard fantasy mage from a distance (and I'm aware about his role in the.. lore). Say how many cards are there that featured Jace as an artwork? If there's a lot I could see it be implemented in his down B where he draw a card and you have to use it before drawing again ( I believe you can stack up cards in the original game) kinda like Hero's selection menu but it is in a similar manner to the Mystery Box from Mario Kart.
He feels like a standard fantasy mage because he is a standard fantasy mage. A lot of cards feature Jace, but as I’ve mentioned previously Jace himself doesn’t use cards. A card mechanic would be better suited to someone from Yugioh, Hearthstone, Cardfight Vanguard or some other series where the cards themselves canonically have power or are featured in the lore.

A full list of cards featuring Jace is on the Wiki

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Forest is the strongest card in Magic, so this costume is pretty terrifying and hilarious.

He feels like a standard fantasy mage because he is a standard fantasy mage. A lot of cards feature Jace, but as I’ve mentioned previously Jace himself doesn’t use cards. A card mechanic would be better suited to someone from Yugioh, Hearthstone, Cardfight Vanguard or some other series where the cards themselves canonically have power or are featured in the lore.

A full list of cards featuring Jace is on the Wiki
Wizards just revealed a card in the upcoming set that you’ll get a kick out of if you think Forests are the strongest cards lol.

1622599703638.jpeg

Pillow

Smash Lord
That’s an awesome idea. If they went with the plane shifting stage, which other planes would you like to see? I think the world of Zendikar is really cool and I’d love to see New Phyrexia as well as Amonkhet since I’m a big fan of the ancient Egyptian aesthetic.

This is Zendikar. It’s known for its crazy landscapes and floating islands. I think it is one of the most interesting planes in Magic.

View attachment 317450
If we’re doing fan favorites then the best options are Zendikar, Ravnica, Dominaria/Phyrexia, and Innistrad probably.

Wizards just revealed a card in the upcoming set that you’ll get a kick out of if you think Forests are the strongest cards lol.

View attachment 317472
It’s just a common joke that either island or forest is the most broken card in the game depending on who you ask. I actually never played modern. I stopped playing standard in Eldraine and mostly just play EDH occasionally now. Legends of Runeterra is my digital card game of choice nowadays.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Define "the card themselves is canon"? Do you mean that Jace can't use Brainstorm or duplicate himself as his power and just have "average lightning magic go brr" or is it something else? Again not really familiar with MtG nor even the rules.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If we’re doing fan favorites then the best options are Zendikar, Ravnica, Dominaria/Phyrexia, and Innistrad probably.

It’s just a common joke that either island or forest is the most broken card in the game depending on who you ask. I actually never played modern. I stopped playing standard in Eldraine and mostly just play EDH occasionally now. Legends of Runeterra is my digital card game of choice nowadays.
I’ve never really played competitive Magic unless you count Arena or going to a few prereleases or FNM’s. I’ve always just been strictly casual and I pretty much only play with my brother and friends in person.

Define "the card themselves is canon"? Do you mean that Jace can't use Brainstorm or duplicate himself as his power and just have "average lightning magic go brr" or is it something else? Again not really familiar with MtG nor even the rules.
I think what he’s trying to say is that, unlike Yugioh, cards are not an in-universe element of Magic. Yugi actually plays cards in the anime but cards are only a gameplay mechanism in Magic. That’s why he’s saying it doesn’t really make sense for Jace to have a card based moveset. I’m kind of on the fence personally. I think if it was possible to represent the mechanics of a card game without using physical cards, that could be interesting.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
As in, say the character is instead Yugi or the Hearthstone innkeeper. Within the context of these series, the cards themselves have power, and the characters play the card game itself (granted HS lore is pretty scarce). They summon monsters out of cards. This isn't the case for MTG characters. Jace doesn't use cards to use his abilities, he just does his normal mage stuff, which is depicted on the cards. There is a larger separation between the characters and the game itself, and MTG lore is pretty much completely separated from the CCG gameplay. Using your example of Brainstorm, Brainstorm is just a card that depicts Jace coming up with a plan. Jace himself doesn't use cards. Saying Jace should have a card mechanic is like saying Phoenix Wright should have a mechanic where the player brings up several boxes of dialogue because he's from a VN.

I’ve never really played competitive Magic unless you count Arena or going to a few prereleases or FNM’s. I’ve always just been strictly casual and I pretty much only play with my brother and friends in person.
Then you should play EDH!

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
As in, say the character is instead Yugi or the Hearthstone innkeeper. Within the context of these series, the cards themselves have power, and the characters play the card game itself (granted HS lore is pretty scarce). They summon monsters out of cards. This isn't the case for MTG characters. Jace doesn't use cards to use his abilities, he just does his normal mage stuff, which is depicted on the cards. There is a larger separation between the characters and the game itself, and MTG lore is pretty much completely separated from the CCG gameplay. Saying Jace should have a card mechanic is like saying Phoenix Wright should have a mechanic where the player brings up several boxes of dialogue because he's from a VN.

Then you should play EDH!
I’ve got a couple EDH decks but my friends are more into normal 60 card decks so we play that more often. I think I have about a hundred 60 card decks right now and probably around 50,000 cards.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Quick heads-up in advance, I'll be giving Jace a free extension, since I started his day so late. I feel it's only fair as a compensation.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
What's the usual gameplan with Jace cards? I'm not too familiar with the game but I'd imagine that if Jace cards have more strategy beyond countering other cards as that sounds umbeatable on paper to me
You can take a look at all twelve Jace cards here, though it's probably nonsense to you if you haven't played.

Honestly, counterspells don't really show up a lot, though that might just be because of how the cards work. Most of his effects involve putting cards into your hand or "milling" (taking cards from someone's draw pile and putting them into their discard). Occasionally, he steals stuff or makes copies.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You can take a look at all twelve Jace cards here, though it's probably nonsense to you if you haven't played.

Honestly, counterspells don't really show up a lot, though that might just be because of how the cards work. Most of his effects involve putting cards into your hand or "milling" (taking cards from someone's draw pile and putting them into their discard). Occasionally, he steals stuff or makes copies.
Then, in that case, I have no idea how we can simulate "milling" in Smash at the moment. Maybe it gradually debuffs the opponent's attack power with each hit to simulate how it works? Or perhaps it's a risky Special that buffs your opponent but in turn inverts it to a debuff after they use said buffed attack?

Pillow

Smash Lord
What's the usual gameplan with Jace cards? I'm not too familiar with the game but I'd imagine that if Jace cards have more strategy beyond countering other cards as that sounds umbeatable on paper to me
Well there aren't really "Jace cards" so much as they are blue cards just with Jace's face or quotes sometimes printed on them. Blue is the fundamental control class of Magic, and is the main enabler for "Permission" style control which is mostly does through counterspells and lots of draw card. Generally counterspells are weak to being overwhelmed (They just play stuff faster than you can counter) and generally if they get cards through, blue has trouble dealing with things that actually are able to resolve (which is why it's often paired with a color with good kill options). Blue also has other options outside of the control shell, but it's most known for counterspells.

Walker cards are even harder to translate into actual gameplay imo, because it's not really clear what they're supposed to be depicting action wise.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I tap my SmashBoards Land card, thereby granting me access to my special ability: the noms list.

50+ noms
Freddy Fazbear - x112
Crash Bandicoot - x85
Battletoads - x80
Imperial (Etrian Odyssey) - x80
Chosen Undead - x80
Neku Sakuraba - x80
Magus (Chrono Trigger) - x75

Gran/Djeeta - x70
Cadence - x70
Amaterasu - x65
Maxwell - x65
Amiya - x65
Sarah Kerrigan - x50

26-50 noms
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
Filia (Skullgirls) - x45
Frisk - x44
2B - x40
Saber - x40
Elma - x38
Maxwell - x35

11-25 noms
Octoling - x25
Black Mage - x20
Master Hand - x20
Laharl - x20
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x20
Mega Man X - x15
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x15
Shovel Knight - x15
Trauma Center Content - x12

5-10 noms
Daitoryo - x10
Saber - x10
Ryza - x10
Bubsy - x10
Ryza - x10
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Jill Stingray - x5
Astral Chain rep - x5
Nathan Drake - x5

amageish

Smash Master
I apparently also unlocked the ability double-post. Whoops!

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Blue has a lot of very powerful abilities but it also has its weaknesses. Since many of its cards are reactive, you have to have the mana open in order to counter a spell. If you miss that window, it’s too late. Their creatures usually aren’t as aggressively costed as other colors by stats alone. Here’s a quick rundown of what blue can do:
  • Countering spells
  • Milling cards (putting cards from the top of a player’s deck into their discard pile).
  • Drawing cards
  • Copying things, usually creatures but it can also copy spells and other permanent types
  • Mind control, usually represented by stealing your opponents cards and using them for yourself. Again, usually creatures but not always.
  • Bouncing spells and permanents to their owners’ hands so they have to cast them again.
  • Evasive creatures, either by being unblockable in combat or hard to target with removal spells
  • Mattering with spells. Several cards care about the number of instant and sorcery spells you cast rather than buffing creatures.
  • Their signature creature types are Merfolk (basically mermaids), Wizards, and Sphinxes.
  • Occasionally mattering with artifacts (man made objects)
  • Rearranging the top cards of their libraries.
  • Taking extra turns
  • Changing the target of spells
  • Some creatures can be cast on any player’s turn (the default in Magic is only casting spells on your own turn unless they are instant card types or specify that they can be played at any time)

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Here is another potential alternate outfit for Jace. This is after he lost his memories after the Gatewatch was defeated by Nicol Bolas and he thought he was a pirate for a short while.

1622638092557.jpeg

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Well, Smash IS lacking in terms of pirates...
Why do you think I nominated Zegram 😋? He’s my favorite character but being a pirate definitely helps with that.

Back to Jace, since mind control is such a big part of blue’s abilities, and Jace himself is known to have mind altering powers, I’m curious if there’s a way to represent that in Smash without breaking the game. It would be really cool if there was a way but I’m struggling to come up with anything that isn’t insanely overpowered. The best I can come up with is just by generally being a tricky character and using his clones to fake out opponents. Directly controlling your opponents seems broken except for maybe a final smash.

Here are two options for the series icon if a MtG character ever makes it in:

The first option is the classic M used in Magic’s title logo:

1622643788580.jpeg

The other is the Planeswalker symbol that Wizards has been using on all their modern products like MtG Arena.

1622643984705.jpeg

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Why do you think I nominated Zegram 😋? He’s my favorite character but being a pirate definitely helps with that.

Back to Jace, since mind control is such a big part of blue’s abilities, and Jace himself is known to have mind altering powers, I’m curious if there’s a way to represent that in Smash without breaking the game. It would be really cool if there was a way but I’m struggling to come up with anything that isn’t insanely overpowered. The best I can come up with is just by generally being a tricky character and using his clones to fake out opponents. Directly controlling your opponents seems broken except for maybe a final smash.

The other is the Planeswalker symbol that Wizards has been using on all their modern products like MtG Arena.

Perhaps he just stuns them, like with Mewtwo's Disable. Or maybe he reverses controls or something? Though, that could get annoying fast...

GolisoPower

Smash Master

Maybe mind control could work by way of recording their next few seconds in a Steve-style boundary? There'd still be a few kinks to iron out, however, it'd be heavily telegraphed, but the set-up potential would be disgusting.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Perhaps he just stuns them, like with Mewtwo's Disable. Or maybe he reverses controls or something? Though, that could get annoying fast...
Maybe mind control could work by way of recording their next few seconds in a Steve-style boundary? There'd still be a few kinks to iron out, however, it'd be heavily telegraphed, but the set-up potential would be disgusting.
Those ideas sound pretty interesting. I think something along those lines would make for a really cool and unique move if it could be balanced properly.

I love the username by the way, Golisopower. Golisopod is one of my all time favorite Pokémon along with Gengar, Cofagrigus, and Orbeetle. Maybe I should nominate one of them once my current nominations have been discussed.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Hmm... Are there anyone that could lend themselves to a boss fight or something like that? Or does the game not really work that way?
I think a boss fight would work well. The three main options would be Nicol Bolas, Emrakul, and Yawgmoth. Emrakul is a giant otherworldly monster called an Eldrazi and Yawgmoth was the leader of the Phyrexians, one of Magic’s first villains. The Phyrexians are pretty much corrupted machines that are pretty terrifying.

This is Emrakul:

1622672153955.jpeg

This is Yawgmoth. On the left is what he looks like after being fully corrupted and on the right is what he looked like as a human.

1622672282826.jpeg

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Hmm... Are there anyone that could lend themselves to a boss fight or something like that? Or does the game not really work that way?
Oh there's tons. If Jace specifically was a MTG Rep then the villain should be Nicol Bolas, but Yawgmoth would fit better if it was Urza.

Of course the true end game villain for MTG is Fblthp the Lost

Top Bottom