• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Eh, there's no way that hair color's natural anyhow. Maybe he just changed it.

...So here's the big question: the defining element of TWEWY gameplay, at least for me, has been having your head explode from trying to control two characters simultaneously. To that end, how much would his partners factor into Neku's moveset?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ve never really played TWEWY but it always looked kind of cool. I’m a pretty big fan of Square-Enix RPGs in general so I might like it. Would you recommend trying out the Switch port or does that version have any issues that hold it back?

x10 Sarah Kerrigan
x20 Lu Bu

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’ve never really played TWEWY but it always looked kind of cool. I’m a pretty big fan of Square-Enix RPGs in general so I might like it. Would you recommend trying out the Switch port or does that version have any issues that hold it back?

x10 Sarah Kerrigan
x20 Lu Bu
I suggest playing only in handheld mode for Final Remix. Docked mode was meant for two players

would Neku use the partner system in his move set or not?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I suggest playing only in handheld mode for Final Remix. Docked mode was meant for two players

would Neku use the partner system in his move set or not?
Two players is fine with me since I’m always looking for games I can play co-op with my brother. I typically don’t care for handheld games in general and most of my handhelds were basically just for Pokémon.

I think a partner mechanic would make Neku really interesting, similar to Crono. I’m not entirely sure whether the team mechanic is as central to TWEWY as it is in Chrono Trigger.

For my next question, what stage would work well for Neku? The only area I know of is the city street.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Noms: Frisk x5, Heavy x10

...So here's the big question: the defining element of TWEWY gameplay, at least for me, has been having your head explode from trying to control two characters simultaneously. To that end, how much would his partners factor into Neku's moveset?
I started work on a Neku moveset where down special has Neku switch between partners, and depending on which partner is active, some of his attacks are altered.

Shiki: Neku’s smash attacks are replaced with Mr. Mew attacks, making them faster.
Joshua: Neku’s throws are replaced with telekinetic attacks, making them more likely to KO or easier to follow up with combos.
Beat: Neku’s tilts are replaced with skateboard attacks, making them more disjointed.

That said, since learning more about NEO's gameplay, I'm thinking that it might be cool to have certain moves just have Neku warp out for a partner to attack. Either he'd warp back after the attack, or you'd play as the partner (presumably with identical movement) until switching back to Neku or a different partner with an attack tied to them.
Two players is fine with me since I’m always looking for games I can play co-op with my brother. I typically don’t care for handheld games in general and most of my handhelds were basically just for Pokémon.

I think a partner mechanic would make Neku really interesting, similar to Crono. I’m not entirely sure whether the team mechanic is as central to TWEWY as it is in Chrono Trigger.

For my next question, what stage would work well for Neku? The only area I know of is the city street.
My concept is "Streets of Shibuya." It starts at the Scramble Crossing (representing Week 1), then switches to Udagawa Back Streets (representing Week 2), then the Dead God's Pad (representing Week 3). The transitions use a TV static effect in line with the Noise.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
NEKUUUUUU

The original TWEWY is one of my favorite games of all time, so I would be over the moon if we got Neku. The game as a whole is so stylish, and the Smash dev team would have a lot of material to pull from for a moveset, so I'm sure whatever they'd come up with for a Neku challenger pack would be phenomenal.
Maybe they could designate some of Neku's specials to partner assist moves? Final Remix and the mobile port turn the partner into an assist, even if I prefer the multi-battle system in the original DS version. Then there could be a sync meter that rewards you for alternating between Neku attacks and assist attacks, leading to a powered-up fusion special kind of like Cloud's limit breaks when you max out the sync rate.

Paraster

Smash Lord
A couple notes on music:

1. "Make or Break" doesn't get enough love.

2. The video linked above is part of a playlist containing every track in Final Remix, so feel free to skim through that if you want a primer/refresher on TWEWY music.

Also, what would Neku's Spirit Board be? I'm thinking:

Shiki (Advanced)
Joshua (Advanced)
Beat (Advanced)
Rhyme (Novice)
Kariya & Uzuki (Ace)
Rindo (Ace)
Fret (Novice)
Nagi (Novice)
Minamimoto (Legend)

I think Minamimoto would be the best candidate for a Legend due to being a fan-favorite, being notably powerful, and having a prominent role in the original and the sequel.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Maybe they could designate some of Neku's specials to partner assist moves? Final Remix and the mobile port turn the partner into an assist, even if I prefer the multi-battle system in the original DS version. Then there could be a sync meter that rewards you for alternating between Neku attacks and assist attacks, leading to a powered-up fusion special kind of like Cloud's limit breaks when you max out the sync rate.
This was basically what I came up with. I think they would make sense as three different Dancing Blade-like specials, where the input you start with determines which partner it is. I think I had side special as Shiki, up special as Beat, and down special as Joshua.

I think it's either Shibuya Crossing or the 104 Building (which happens to be directly next to Shibuya Crossing). Or a traveling stage, but that's one of those things where everybody wants their stage to be a traveling stage because it's more stage per stage. It's basically the equivalent of transformation characters.

Anyway, I'm particularly a fan of the 104 Building, if only because, like...

1624145208817.png

Look at how it is in the top battle screen. The world just twists to get it in shot. Unironically really cool.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
the realest question

How would Neku’s trailer play out?
Neku gets a new mission mail:
"Defeat the fox guardian of Final Destination. Items prohibited. You have 7 minutes. Fail, and face erasure. --S"

Joking aside, Neku getting his invite via mission mail would definitely be an option. That or imitating the cutscene where Neku wakes up in the scramble crossing and finds a Player Pin in his pocket, only the pin has a Smash logo on it instead.

Paraster

Smash Lord
the realest question

How would Neku’s trailer play out?
I came up with a trailer concept a while back. Short version: Joker gets attacked by Noise based on other Smash fighters and gets saved by Neku, all rendered in a TWEWY artstyle. I thought it'd be fun to tie in the other Smash fighter from a game that involves Shibuya..
This trailer is rendered in a 2D anime/manga/comic book artstyle, most notably with characters being represented by multiple still images of various poses.
Joker wakes up, finding himself lying on the ground in Shibuya's Scramble Crossing and clad in his school uniform.
People are walking around him, but nobody can see him.
After a few moments, Joker sees a strange sight--red-and-black symbols, resembling a cross between a skull and the Smash Ball, floating in midair.
The symbols warp, transforming into bizarre, off-color, jagged versions of Smash fighters. Joker is taken aback; no one else seems to notice.
The fake fighters start to attack, and Joker is only narrowly able to dodge.
In desperation, Joker reaches to his glasses to try and unmask, but someone calls out. Joker turns to see someone running towards him, a figure in purple.
The figure leaps over Joker's head and summons fire in front of his hand, lashing it out at the fake fighters, causing them to explode into TV static and disappear.
The figure turns to Joker.
Neku Makes Some Noise!
<insert random gameplay, showing off Neku's flashy elemental and psychokinetic attacks, as well as his stage, which goes from the Scramble Crossing to a mural in Udagawa to an ominous underground bar with static effects; Twister plays>
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x The World Ends With You
Title: "Fail, And Face Erasure"

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Woo-hoo Neku! I am not a TWEWY expert, but Neku seems like a great character who would be fun to have in the game.

I also just like the idea of real-world locations becoming stages. That would amuse me...

So, latest nims update said I had 10 noms, but before that I had 15 I forgot to use.

Do I have 25 now? Or not that? Just curious.
I haven't been having nominations expire as long as you note how many you have. If someone says "All Noms for X," I'm just checking the noms they gained that day.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Alright, so I know he fights using Pins. Any specific Pins that are especially notable or flashy?
Something to note is the difference between pins and "psychs." Psychs are the powers themselves, and each pin has a specific psych assigned to it. Most psychs appear on multiple pins, but usually (if not always) have differences in damage, properties, and even how they're executed.

If you wanna look up what psychs there are, they're listed here (though not all pages have demonstration GIFs or even full descriptions). Note that psychs are divided into categories--basically "positive" equals melee attacks and "negative" means ranged.

To that end, some of the more notable psychs to me (mostly leaning one ones I see as more "iconic"):

Pyrokinesis: Summon a controllable stream of fire. Neku's first psych.
Shockwave: A series of sword-like slashing attacks. Would make a good jab, maybe even other basic moves like an aerial or two.
Massive Hit: Summon and swing a huge light sword. Obvious forward smash.
Lightning Arrester: Shoot a large and powerful lightning bolt.
Piercing Pillar: Make a large icicle shoot up out of the ground. There's some versatility for this one, though I'm partial towards it being up special (appearing below Neku to launch him upward and lingering for a second).
Force Rounds, Energy Rounds, Burst Rounds, and Patrol Rounds: Basic projectiles that each come in various distinct varieties. Burst Rounds shots explode into smaller shots, and Patrol Rounds shots have boomerang qualities.
Entanglement: Summon a spiked chain that crosses the screen. (Would require some redesigning to keep fair in a Smash context.)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Now that you mention it, the postgame mentions that he dyes his hair after some manga character he likes.

I think it'd be too much to have all 3 potential partners stick in, especially as Neku pretty much has unlimited moveset potentisl

x10 Sarah Kerrigan
x20 Lu Bu
Docked mode will make you constantly want to reset your joycons as they get out of sync super fast, handheld mode also lets you react quicker and more precise to the screen nuke minigames
Interesting aesthetic idea: what if Neku had the Smash battle timer on the palm of his hand, matching the timer on the UI? That would be some sort of fun detail, don't you think?
It's probably possible too, Umbra Clock Tower has a similar easter egg where it will tell you the time

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Now that you mention it, the postgame mentions that he dyes his hair after some manga character he likes.

I think it'd be too much to have all 3 potential partners stick in, especially as Neku pretty much has unlimited moveset potentisl

Docked mode will make you constantly want to reset your joycons as they get out of sync super fast, handheld mode also lets you react quicker and more precise to the screen nuke minigames

It's probably possible too, Umbra Clock Tower has a similar easter egg where it will tell you the time
I wonder if that problem still exists if I use PS4 controllers. All of my pro controllers started drifting on me and became unusable so I just converted over to my PS4 controllers for everything.

Does TWEWY have any good options for assist trophies or bosses?

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Since my question hasn't been answered yet (and is not on the current page), I'll post it again: Should Neku have his NEO outfit as one of his alts?

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Eariler in the thread, I mentioned a situation where Neku could only be an Assist Trophy.
Assuming he wasn't able to become a fighter, I could at least see him being an Assist Trophy who does the following:
  • Zip around using Blink Step
  • Use Pyrokenesis to track opponents
  • Interrupt opponents on the ground with Ice Risers

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I wonder if that problem still exists if I use PS4 controllers. All of my pro controllers started drifting on me and became unusable so I just converted over to my PS4 controllers for everything.

I mean, the original isn't available on ps4, only DS, Switch and mobile, and the Switch only supports single Joycon or handheld mode. It's my favourite game with **** controls if that makes sense

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I mean, the original isn't available on ps4, only DS, Switch and mobile, and the Switch only supports single Joycon or handheld mode. It's my favourite game with **** controls if that makes sense
Oh I know that. I’m saying that I use my PS4 controllers to play Switch.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Since my question hasn't been answered yet (and is not on the current page), I'll post it again: Should Neku have his NEO outfit as one of his alts?

I'm not 100% sure. It is radically different from his regular look, so it might be considered too much work, but if that wasn't an issue, sure.

(Unless, of course, the theories about that not being Neku are true--I don't believe them myself, but admit they're slightly possible.)

amageish

Smash Master
The noms is list, one again, rocking a tie! We'll see if there any tiebreakers before the week ends, I guess...

50+ noms
Imperial (Etrian Odyssey) - x170
Chosen Undead - x125
Sarah Kerrigan - x125
Maxwell - x110
Frisk - x109
Lu Bu - x105
Gran/Djeeta - x85
Amaterasu - x85

Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Laharl - x65
Jill Stingray - x60
Monika - x55

26-50 noms
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
2B - x40
Saber - x40
Elma - x38
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Sir Arthur - x30

11-25 noms
Klonoa - x25
Hat Kid - x25
Octoling - x25
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x25
Ryza - x25
Shovel Knight - x25
Black Mage - x20
Master Hand - x20
Bubsy - x20
Bill & Lance - x20
Mega Man X - x15
Astral Chain rep - x15
Heavy - x15
Trauma Center Content - x12

5-10 noms
Daitoryo - x10
Saber - x10
Scorpion - x8
Axel Stone - x5
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Sly Cooper - x3
Chell - x3

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Mission: post noms. Fail and face erasure.

Perkilator x5 (10 Total)
Rie Sonomura x35 (40 Total)
Cutie Gwen x10 (15 Total)
GolisoPower x15 (20 Total)
Technomage x5 (10 Total)
Gengar84 x15 (20 Total)
Paraster x20 (25 Total)
ShrimpScampi x10 (15 Total)
ahemtoday x5 (10 Total)
SharkLord x5 (10 Total)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, new week:
Day 30: Imperial (Etrian Odyssey)
Day 31: Chosen Undead
Day 32: Sarah Kerrigan
Day 33: Maxwell

Day 34: Frisk
Day 35: Lu Bu
Day 36: Gran/Djeeta
Day 37: Amaterasu

As you can see here, we seem to have run into a tie. To simplify things, I'm just gonna post up all eight on the schedule so we don't have to drag the decisions on for longer than in should.

So anyways, let's talk the Imperial.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Okay, here's some info on the Imperial (including its moveset), from the support page I made for it:

The Imperial is a class from the dungeon-crawling JRPG series Etrian Odyssey; a class that unleashes ludicrously powerful attacks using a vibrating, engine-powered sword called a Drive Blade, the most notable weapon in the Etrian Odyssey games.

What kind of playstyle could the Imperial bring (besides using a sword, for those that are tired of sword users)? Well, probably one where the Imperial unleashes slow, but highly-damaging strikes that take a while to be used consecutively. Here's the moveset I came up with for it:

Attributes:

• Heavyweight
  • Slow move speed
  • Low jump height
  • High falling speed
  • Strong attack power
  • Disjointed hitboxes
  • Drive attacks deal a high amount of damage and knockback

Special Attributes:

• Overheat Meter:
    • Fills up whenever you use a "Drive" attack (excluding Overdrive), and cannot use those attacks unless its empty
    • Trying to use a Smash Attack while overheated instead causes you to perform its respective Tilt counterpart
    • Naturally lowers by itself every second, but can be lowered further by certain moves
    • Sword attacks deal more damage while overheated
    • Uses some moves from other classes that use regular swords, since Drive Blades can use those moves, too

Moveset:

• Neutral Special:
    • Frost Edge
    • A stronger, slower version of Pyra's Flame Nova (but spins around swinging the sword physically instead of telekinetically), but with an ice element instead of a fire element
    • Fills the Overheat Meter depending on how long it's been held
    • Cannot be used while overheated
  • Side Special:
    • Shock Drive
    • A stronger, slower version of Ike's Quick Draw, but with an electric element to it
    • While Overheated, uses Charge Edge, a weaker version of the Drive attack with no electric element
  • Up Special:
    • Flame Drive
    • A stronger, slower version of Cloud's Climhazzard, but with a fire element to it; also, the second hit has more range due to fire explosion that generates upon hitting the ground
    • Fills the Overheat Meter, filling it even more if the second part of the attack is performed
    • While Overheated, uses Massive Edge, a weaker version of the Drive attack with no fire element; also, the second hit instead generates a shockwave, upon hitting the ground, that deals typeless damage
  • Down Special:
    • Accel Drive
    • An aerial slamming move similar to the likes of Bowser's Bowser Bomb, Yoshi's Yoshi Bomb, and Mii Brawler's Head-On Assault, but even stronger with its hit having more range upon hitting the ground due to the light explosion it generates
    • Fills the Overheat Meter
    • Cannot be used while overheated
  • Final Smash:
    • Overdrive
    • The Imperial slams its Drive Blade onto the ground, and then many powerful red lasers erupt from the ground, damaging any opponents in their path.
  • Neutral Attack:
    • Sharp/Cool Edge
    • A two-hit jab; the first being Sharp Edge, the second being Cool Edge
    • Both hits reduce Overheat status when they hit an enemy (with Cool Edge offering a slightly higher reduction)
  • Forward Tilt:
    • Double Strike
    • Two sword slashes
    • A two-hit move similar to Snake's Forward Tilt
    • Normally used by the Landsknecht class in EO 4, but can be used by Imperials if they have the Landsknecht as their subclass
  • Up Tilt:
    • Basically Ike's Up Tilt
  • Down Tilt:
    • Trip Edge
    • Low sword swing in front of user
  • Dash Attack:
    • Sonic Raid
    • A typical dashing sword attack
    • Normally used by the Landsknecht class in EO 4, but can be used by Imperials if they have the Landsknecht as their subclass
  • Forward/Up/Down Smash:
    • Assault Drive
    • Basically like the Smash attacks used by Ike and Ganondorf, but slower and stronger, with more range
  • Neutral Air:
    • Spiral Slice
    • Similar to Cloud's Neutral Air
  • Forward Air:
    • Sword thrust forward
  • Back Air:
    • Sword thrust backward
  • Up Air:
    • Overhead sword swing
  • Down Air:
    • A stall-then-fall attack similar to Toon Link's, but with a downward slash instead of a stab
  • Grab:
    • Grabs opponent with the left hand
  • Pummel:
    • Typical knee strike
  • Forward Throw:
    • Forward sword stab, then pushes opponent off with foot
  • Back Throw:
    • Throws the opponent backwards, then strikes the opponent with the Drive Blade
  • Up Throw:
    • Upward jumping sword slice
  • Down Throw:
    • Throws opponent onto the ground, then stomps on them with an armored boot
  • Shield Special:
    • Heat Sink
    • Increases the speed of reduction of the Overheat Meter when held

Alternate costumes would consist of all four Imperial character portraits and their alternate colors, like in these pics:

1621610202969.jpeg

Battle Entrance: The Imperial gets dropped off by his/her guild's airship.

What is Etrian Odyssey? It is a dungeon-crawling fantasy RPG known for its feature of having players draw their own maps. The story typically involves the player's guild exploring the labyrinth of an Yggdrasil tree (of which there are multiple). It is also unique in that it is also a post-apocalyptic future version of the real world.

Last edited:
Top Bottom