• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I find it deliciously ironic that the poster boy for "muhrelevance" and "forgotten by everyone right down to the creators" has become the epitome of fan demand getting you places.

Finest hour and all that jazzmatazz~ ;3

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
In chronological order as best as I could are all of the characters that represent a certain era of gaming for Nintendo. Some systems overlap others a bit (like Kirby debuted on the GameBoy but was also on the NES). It might not be totally accurate but hey, this is going off by the system they've originally debuted in. Feel free to do this with possible newcomers for DLC.

Pre-NES Era
Mr. Game & Watch
Pac-Man
Donkey Kong
Mario
Luigi
Little Mac

NES Era
Ice Climbers
R.O.B.
Bowser
Peach
Link
Zelda
Samus
Pit
Palutena
Snake (MSX2)
Mega Man
Marth

SNES/GB Era
Yoshi
Captain Falcon
Sonic (Mega Drive)
Kirby
King Dedede
Wario
Fox
Falco
Meta Knight (NES)
Diddy Kong
Ness
Charizard
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo

N64 Era
Wolf
Ganondorf
Sheik
Villager

GCN/GBA Era
Olimar
Toon Link
Zero Suit Samus
Ike
Lucas

Wii/DS Era
Miis
Lucario
Rosalina
Wii Fit Trainer
Chorus Men
Shulk

3DS Era
Chrom
Greninja

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm curious, so I have a request for you guys. Name all the characters that seem to be doing well in the ballot that you absolutely do not want in Smash.
I am indifferent to everyone except Wolf, Snake and the Ice Climbers (The Ice Climbers were disconfirmed too late for them not to still have a considerable amount of votes, that's why I mention them.), who I strongly support.

I find it deliciously ironic that the poster boy for "muhrelevance" and "forgotten by everyone right down to the creators"
Who is that?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
In chronological order as best as I could are all of the characters that represent a certain era of gaming for Nintendo. Some systems overlap others a bit (like Kirby debuted on the GameBoy but was also on the NES). It might not be totally accurate but hey, this is going off by the system they've originally debuted in. Feel free to do this with possible newcomers for DLC.

Pre-NES Era
Mr. Game & Watch
Pac-Man
Donkey Kong
Mario
Luigi
Little Mac

NES Era
Ice Climbers
R.O.B.
Bowser
Peach
Link
Zelda
Samus
Pit
Palutena
Snake (MSX2)
Mega Man
Marth

SNES/GB Era
Yoshi
Captain Falcon
Sonic (Mega Drive)
Kirby
King Dedede
Wario
Fox
Falco
Meta Knight (NES)
Diddy Kong
Ness
Charizard
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo

N64 Era
Wolf
Ganondorf
Sheik
Villager

GCN/GBA Era
Olimar
Toon Link
Zero Suit Samus
Ike
Lucas

Wii/DS Era
Miis
Lucario
Rosalina
Wii Fit Trainer
Chorus Men
Shulk

3DS Era
Chrom
Greninja
Hopefully we get Excitebike to complete the NES and N64-era characters.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm curious, so I have a request for you guys. Name all the characters that seem to be doing well in the ballot that you absolutely do not want in Smash.
Probably not a good idea since this will inevitably cause arguing and bitterness.

StormC

Smash Hero
It seems that most characters that are doing relatively well in the ballot are despised by most people here. I'd like to get proved wrong though.
Er, what? Isn't that kind of backwards, if the biggest Smash community on the internet hates the popular choices for Smash characters?

Krystal and Shantae are maybe the only popular ones I can think of that are "despised by most people here," and even that is a huge stretch. You have flash-in-the-pan guys like Shovel Knight but the hype died down for him months ago.

K. Rool/Isaac/Inkling/Snake/Wolf/Ice Climbers have almost universal support.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
There's maybe more than 80 costumes and you're complaining about Isabelle being there and Villager and Tom Nook not
But you don't know they're not there, you're complaining for nothing.
You're right, I do not know. However, I never stated that Villager or Tom Nook won't be in the game. I would've just rather see them before Isabelle. I don't know what else to tell you lol.

Last edited:

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
I haven't been on Smashboards in a while. Has anyone come with a general assumption as to how many more characters are likely for DLC? Just as an estimate. I'm optimistically hoping for six, but I'd guess four.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I haven't been on Smashboards in a while. Has anyone come with a general assumption as to how many more characters are likely for DLC? Just as an estimate. I'm optimistically hoping for six, but I'd guess four.
I think the general mindset is 5 being the absolute max...Party poopers.

Er, what? Isn't that kind of backwards, if the biggest Smash community on the internet hates the popular choices for Smash characters?

Krystal and Shantae are maybe the only popular ones I can think of that are "despised by most people here," and even that is a huge stretch. You have flash-in-the-pan guys like Shovel Knight but the hype died down for him months ago.

K. Rool/Isaac/Inkling/Snake/Wolf/Ice Climbers have almost universal support.
I guess I am blowing that out of proportion. I dunno.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
If 5 is max then I predict:

1. K. Rool
2. Wolf
3. Inkling
4. Maybe Isaac
5. I dunno

Any suggestions for 5th?
I'd guess Banjo, Captain Toad, or Rayman.
Ridley if Nintendo twists Sakurai's arm.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think anything after K. Rool, Wolf, and Isaac is a little too murky for me to feel confident about.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Toad and Rayman are good choices.............although I'm still rooting for Paper Mario *waves little Paper Mario flag*
I would love Paper Mario.
Probably my 3rd most wanted character, after Toad and Banjo.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'm all in for Ridley, but I will take the Mario of Paper as compensation.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
I would think Wolf and K. Rool are pretty safe bets at this point (at least I hope). Isaac would be a good miscellaneous character that helps promote a new series and his moveset could be so cool if they do it right. I'd say if Sakurai is actually going for "fan service" that he could potentially give up his pride and shoehorn Ridley in. Inklings are possible, but I'd rather see longstanding characters get in. Snake, Rayman, and Shantae are the only possible third parties I could see having a good chance. Then some other popular characters that I'd like to see are Impa, Bandana Dee, Krystal, and Dixie.

My predictions would be:
1. Wolf
2. King K. Rool
3. Isaac
4. Inkling
5. Rayman

Wishlist:
1. Wolf
2. King K. Rool
3. Isaac
4. Ridley
5. Impa

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Banjo is owned by Microsoft...
I'm aware. However:
Banjo's popularity exploded after this.
Most people, myself included, saw no point in voting for them because we thought it was a pipe dream.
But this tweet proves it is actually possible.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I'm aware. However:
Bruh, any developer who is smart would kill for their character in Smash. Team Meat had the same statement, so did Wayforward. Don't mean anything.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Bruh, any developer who is smart would kill for their character in Smash. Team Meat had the same statement, so did Wayforward. Don't mean anything.
Oh it means a lot.
It means that Microsoft would gloss over the fact that they are competitors with Nintendo and be cooperative. That was Banjo's biggest hurdle. If Rare had been bought by Capcom or something, Banjo would be no more problematic than Megaman. But Banjo was bought by Microsoft, and that is why many thought them impossible.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Oh it means a lot.
It means that Microsoft would gloss over the fact that they are competitors with Nintendo and be cooperative. That was Banjo's biggest hurdle. If Rare had been bought by Capcom or something, Banjo would be no more problematic than Megaman. But Banjo was bought by Microsoft, and that is why many thought them impossible.
Microsoft would gloss over the fact that they'd get free advertising from Nintendo.

Banjo should've been bought by Nintendo. Why have you failed us Nintendo.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Microsoft would gloss over the fact that they'd get free advertising from Nintendo.

Banjo should've been bought by Nintendo. Why have you failed us Nintendo.
No, they wouldn't gloss over it, that'd be something they'd like about the possibility.

It'd be pretty great if Banjo was bought by Nintendo. But Banjo in Smash is the next best thing.

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
I'm think that 8 is the number of post-ballot DLC fighters we'll get. Only because it's twice the number of DLC characters we have available right now.... (Heck of a stretch, isn't it?)

I hope Wolf becomes pre-ballot DLC. I'd probably feel "cheated" if he was a direct result of the ballot, but if he's already being developed and they're just waiting to release him along with the post-ballot newcomers, then I'm all for it.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm think that 8 is the number of post-ballot DLC fighters we'll get. Only because it's twice the number of DLC characters we have available right now.... (Heck of a stretch, isn't it?)
Do you really think "8" constitutes as "several?" We'll be lucky to have 8 DLC characters period.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Sry, I meant that's what they would want Nintendo to gloss over.
It isn't a huge deal for Nintendo.
Worst case scenario, they promote 1 or 2 games on a competitor's console to people who already own their console.
Nintendo has way more to gain than lose here. Microsoft would want this to happen, for reasons like advertising. As a result, I imagine a deal would be struck. Microsoft doesn't see the 3ds as a competitor, so this could definitely result in Rare games on the 3ds so Nintendo doesn't feel like they are only promoting the competition. Rare gams on VC is also a possibility.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
It isn't a huge deal for Nintendo.
Worst case scenario, they promote 1 or 2 games on a competitor's console to people who already own their console.
Nintendo has way more to gain than lose here. Microsoft would want this to happen, for reasons like advertising. As a result, I imagine a deal would be struck. Microsoft doesn't see the 3ds as a competitor, so this could definitely result in Rare games on the 3ds so Nintendo doesn't feel like they are only promoting the competition. Rare gams on VC is also a possibility.
Microsoft doesn't see the 3DS as a competitor because they don't have a portable system. Also the fact that Microsoft is a western company and Nintendo is sometimes hesitant to work with western companies (thats changing though).

StormC

Smash Hero
Nintendo has way more to gain than lose here.
You mean paying money to a rival company to license the characters (as well as making it incredibly hard for Banjo to be in future Smash games) for DLC that isn't even guaranteed to turn the biggest profit of any DLC character?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Microsoft doesn't see the 3DS as a competitor because they don't have a portable system. Also the fact that Microsoft is a western company and Nintendo is sometimes hesitant to work with western companies (thats changing though).
You are right about the 3ds. Not sure what point you're making.

You mean paying money to a rival company to license the characters (as well as making it incredibly hard for Banjo to be in future Smash games) for DLC that isn't even guaranteed to turn the biggest profit of any DLC character?
If Microsoft wants Banjo in, they'll be very cooperative. This would likely include a low licensing fee, I'd bet all the 3rd party characters had generous licensing fees. Because they want their character in smash.
How on earth would that make it hard for Banjo to be in future smash games? It'd make it as easy as it could possibly be.
Nintendo isn't aiming for "highest profit of all DLC characters", if they were they wouldn't have made Roy. That being said, Banjo and Kazooie would turn titanic profits, especially when you throw in Amiibo sales and potential VC titles. Mewtwo and maybe Ridley might beat them in terms of sales.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
You are right about the 3ds. Not sure what point you're making.

If Microsoft wants Banjo in, they'll be very cooperative. This would likely include a low licensing fee, I'd bet all the 3rd party characters had generous licensing fees. Because they want their character in smash.
How on earth would that make it hard for Banjo to be in future smash games? It'd make it as easy as it could possibly be.
Nintendo isn't aiming for "highest profit of all DLC characters", if they were they wouldn't have made Roy. That being said, Banjo and Kazooie would turn titanic profits, especially when you throw in Amiibo sales and potential VC titles. Mewtwo and maybe Ridley might beat them in terms of sales.
Lots of competitive players and Japan in general really wanted Roy back in Smash. That's a huge part of the Smash market right there.

StormC

Smash Hero
Because they'd have to renegotiate the contract with Microsoft with every successive game. We already saw Snake get dropped, you think they would bother with Banjo?

Mewtwo and maybe Ridley might beat them in terms of sales.
You're thinking with far too of a western mindset. Banjo has fairly lukewarm popularity in Japan. He wouldn't make waves in that market.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Lots of competitive players and Japan in general really wanted Roy back in Smash. That's a huge part of the Smash market right there.
I'm not saying there wasn't reason to think Roy would be successful. However, you would have to concede that Roy won't be very close to being as successful as Ryu or Mewtwo. There are a lot of people, like myself, who don't think Roy is interesting enough for $5. Nintendo had to have known this, but went for it anyway.
My point is, Banjo and Kazooie would be WAY more successful than Roy, and yet Nintendo still made Roy.

Because they'd have to renegotiate the contract with Microsoft with every successive game. We already saw Snake get dropped, you think they would bother with Banjo?

You're thinking with far too of a western mindset. Banjo has fairly lukewarm popularity in Japan. He wouldn't make waves in that market.
Are you seriously suggesting that Sonic being in Brawl made it difficult to get him in Smash 4? That Pac-Man and Mega Man being in MSash 4 will make it hard for them to get into smash 5?
Firstly, the contract will only be difficult the first time. The second time, everyone knows pretty much how things are going to turn out, so they just model the contract after the first one.
Secondly your reasoning leads to an infinite loop of never including 3rd party characters because that somehow makes them easier to include in the next game. At which you put it off till the next game for the same reasons. And so on.

There are way more westerners than Japanese people.

StormC

Smash Hero
Are you seriously suggesting that Sonic being in Brawl made it difficult to get him in Smash 4? That Pac-Man and Mega Man being in MSash 4 will make it hard for them to get into smash 5?
Firstly, the contract will only be difficult the first time. The second time, everyone knows pretty much how things are going to turn out, so they just model the contract after the first one.
Secondly your reasoning leads to an infinite loop of never including 3rd party characters because that somehow makes them easier to include in the next game. At which you put it off till the next game for the same reasons. And so on.
The issue here is that third parties aren't competing first parties. Sega and Capcom have fairly good business relationships with Nintendo and Namco is making the game so those characters aren't an issue. We don't know how Nintendo and Microsoft's relationship will be 5-10 years from now. The fact that Snake got dropped without so much as a word about Konami makes me think it's not a terribly consistent career choice for these characters.

Why would Nintendo bother with all of this when they can still make arseloads of money with characters that will be nearly as successful if not more? Sakurai has talked about at length that negotiating with third parties is not easy, and a competing first party multiplies that even further. It's just way too much trouble.

There are way more westerners than Japanese people.
And Japan has always been Nintendo's primary market.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom