• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Such, disappointment.
We all know about her issue of how little legacy she has, her main guns, and her provocative nature and the argument that sexuality is at the core of her character (being made by a female designer to be an embodiment for power fantasies and what not) alongside some rather graphic finishers and the crude one liners that are why many, myself included, love her.

And people make various counter-arguments about how the character that was promoted in Playboy can a year later be toned down for an E-10+ game without sacrificing her character.

But how about this: Middling at best support.

Let's just toss this out.

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/02/19/perception-of-smash-dlc-in-japan/

Bayonetta's placement is along the lines of

Deconfirmed Assist Trophy characters
Mallow (Super Mario RPG)
Micaiah & Tharja (Fire Emblem)
Werehog (Sonic Unleashed)
Birdo

Right there at the bottom of the notable entries in the Smash dedicated.

Edit: And something I think many of us overlooked, :4ryu: having a fair amount of popularity in requests here in spite of :4megaman:'s inclusion months before his sound file leak.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Main: :4feroy:

Secondaries: :4shulk::4lucas::4ness::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4ganondorf::4marth::4lucina::4myfriends::4villager::4drmario::4wario2:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Such, disappointment.
If we can't even get Tharja in this smash as a trophy, Bayonetta's got a problem whether you deem it valid or not.

Not even touching on the fact that she's very minor compared to :snake::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu:.

Those guys are icons and shapers of the industry. In a league of their own.

Bayonetta had an exclusive game that happened to be really good.

Yeah.....

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
LOL, are you seriously in a Bayonetta discussion? And the worst part is that the people who support Bayonetta are winning.

Bayonetta is not iconic, she is not popular in Japan at all and this Smash game is E+10, not T, like Brawl.
They are not going to change that. Also, sorry, but Bayonetta without guns or stripping is not Bayonetta, the arguments "bu hu hu, they can change her for Smash, it can happen!", or "those are not normal guns, those are colourful magic guns that look like normal guns, yeah, totally different" are pretty bad.

EDIT: Ninja'd... Swamp, you are too fast!

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
We all know about her issue of how little legacy she has and her provocative nature and the argument that sexuality is at the core of her character (being made by a female designer to be an embodiment for power fantasies and what not) alongside some rather graphic finishers and the crude one liners that are why many, myself included, love her.

And people make various counter-arguments about how the character that was promoted in Playboy can a year later be toned down for an E-10+ game without sacrificing her character.

Mallow (Super Mario RPG)
Birdo

Edit: And something I think many of us overlooked, :4ryu: having a fair amount of popularity in requests here in spite of :4megaman:'s inclusion months before his sound file leak.
I like you.

Let me bullet point my side for now. It's 2:46 am when I typed that 2 :46.
  • Bayonetta's sexuality is only like 1/10 of her character. You did not mention strength, confidence, caring ect and besides she flaunts it to her will. A lot of people don't see sexuality the 'core' of her character. Look beyond. There's only like 4 over the top close up cutscenes in each of her to games anyways.
  • Bayonetta not stripping (or if possible, limited), during wicked weaves will NOT ruin her character.
  • Bayonetta not stripping will NOT change the game's rating.
  • Bayonetta not stripping will also just make it EASIER to get her in as less resources are wasted creating unnecessary animations.
  • Bayonetta's two main costumes and most others have less skin being revealed than ZZS or Shulk, and ZZS already moves in certain ways that make certain body parts more visible.
  • Her Taunts are plenty. Palutena has the kick that sorta looks like a pole dance. Something like blow kissing from Bayonetta would certainly raise the rating right? /sarcasm.
  • Her style & character will remain intact. It's all in the way she fights with her own style, where apart from animating and actually doing the game, stuff, the hardest part is choosing her move set from her ocean of potential moves already existing.
  • It is her style that will keep the rest of her character intact.
  • Guns? She does not require a move to fire them. They can be used as a visual/sound effect just like in her own games during punches and kicks. Plus, the flashy blue/red lights as she does them is very similar to the flashy lights characters show in Smash already to emphasize the attacks.
  • And just to toss it out, she has been ranked 6th in the largest(correct me if i'm wrong here) poll so far in the west with more than 14K voters.
  • Graphic finishers? Does Snake use his graphic finishers in smash? She does not need to, either, nor any lines using swear words.
  • Fans would be very happy to have her in Smash, obviously.

As you can see below, torture attacks can be safe enough for smash. (Though they are not needed for throws.) This is a much faster version of Mario's spinning thing.

The only argument I will NOT deny is that she only has 2 games (not including Angel Land), and doesn't appear much. (not including Anarchy Reigns or W101.)

But then again, she is growing.

Goodnight, for now.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I like you.

Let me bullet point my side for now. It's 2:46 am when I typed that 2 :46.
  • Bayonetta's sexuality is only like 1/10 of her character. You did not mention strength, confidence, caring ect and besides she flaunts it to her will. A lot of people don't see sexuality the 'core' of her character. Look beyond. There's only like 4 over the top close up cutscenes in each of her to games anyways.
  • Bayonetta not stripping (or if possible, limited), during wicked weaves will NOT ruin her character.
  • Bayonetta not stripping will NOT change the game's rating.
  • Bayonetta not stripping will also just make it EASIER to get her in as less resources are wasted creating unnecessary animations.
  • Bayonetta's two main costumes and most others have less skin being revealed than ZZS or Shulk, and ZZS already moves in certain ways that make certain body parts more visible.
  • Her Taunts are plenty. Palutena has the kick that sorta looks like a pole dance. Something like blow kissing from Bayonetta would certainly raise the rating right? /sarcasm.
  • Her style & character will remain intact. It's all in the way she fights with her own style, where apart from animating and actually doing the game, stuff, the hardest part is choosing her move set from her ocean of potential moves already existing.
  • It is her style that will keep the rest of her character intact.
  • Guns? She does not require a move to fire them. They can be used as a visual/sound effect just like in her own games during punches and kicks. Plus, the flashy blue/red lights as she does them is very similar to the flashy lights characters show in Smash already to emphasize the attacks.
  • And just to toss it out, she has been ranked 6th in the largest(correct me if i'm wrong here) poll so far in the west with more than 14K voters.
  • Graphic finishers? Does Snake use his graphic finishers in smash? She does not need to, either, nor any lines using swear words.
  • Fans would be very happy to have her in Smash, obviously.

As you can see below, torture attacks can be safe enough for smash. (Though they are not needed for throws.) This is a much faster version of Mario's spinning thing.

The only argument I will NOT deny is that she only has 2 games (not including Angel Land), and doesn't appear much. (not including Anarchy Reigns or W101.)

But then again, she is growing.

Goodnight, for now.
"And people make various counter-arguments about how the character that was promoted in Playboy can a year later be toned down for an E-10+ game without sacrificing her character." - Me, in that post.
And I admit, you do some of the best damn job at arguing for her.

But lack of legacy and even moreso lack of popularity is what kills the vast amount of hope for her.

And short Bayo is only like 4000% better than beehive hair. So I'm taking 10 points from gryffindor for you gif.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
But lack of legacy and even moreso lack of popularity is what kills the vast amount of hope for her.
I'm pretty confident there is a notable amount of support for Sakurai to consider her, she's all over the place when it comes wish lists and polls. She may not be high up there with K. Rool or Banjo, but it's still noticeable enough.

Mallow (Super Mario RPG)
Birdo

If those guys had some notable factors on their edge and/or were highly requested, then I would see your point. But that isn't the case for Bayonetta, nor is it accurate.

NNID
Tyblade363
T
LOL, are you seriously in a Bayonetta discussion? And the worst part is that the people who support Bayonetta are winning.

Bayonetta is not iconic, she is not popular in Japan at all and this Smash game is E+10, not T, like Brawl.
They are not going to change that. Also, sorry, but Bayonetta without guns or stripping is not Bayonetta, the arguments "bu hu hu, they can change her for Smash, it can happen!", or "those are not normal guns, those are colourful magic guns that look like normal guns, yeah, totally different" are pretty bad.

EDIT: Ninja'd... Swamp, you are too fast!
hank you, for coming up with an argument for me.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm pretty confident there is a notable amount of support for Sakurai to consider her, she's all over the place when it comes wish lists and polls. She may not be high up there with K. Rool or Banjo, but it's still noticeable enough.

If those guys had some notable factors on their edge and/or were highly requested, then I would see your point. But that isn't the case for Bayonetta, nor is it accurate.
My point was that, while fairly out-dated, PushDustin's work there is the best grasp we have on the Japanese desires with DLC.

And Bayonetta was just about as requested as those guys who AREN'T highly requested in this data.

Edit: What is there to suggest her popularity in japan would have noticably risen in this time, if this would be drastically inaccurate?

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Y'know who's also a Platinum character that would be hella baller in Smash?

How about a hint?

He does not have fame, nor does he have fortune to claim, though he does fight for the status quo.

His usual course of action is to don that mask and take them to task, especially when he must hurry, as it is now time to go.

He can do it. He can do it.

Because he is a hero second to none, he is the bravest under the sun and he does stick to his guns.

Inspiring stuff, man.

#UNITEVOTE

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Okay guys and gals and smashers of all ages, I'm going to start doing an experiment in here to get a feel for people's opinions on various popular poll characters.

I'm going to post an image of a character and I want you to type the first word that comes to your mind

Lets start off with someone simple

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I'd rather have Wonder Red over Bayonetta to be honest, considering both are PlatinumGames characters.

Wonder Pink as an assist trophy could fill in for Bayonetta maybe considering her similar design, at least hairstyle-wise.

Edit: :4greninja:'d by Wintropic Kitten

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Okay guys and gals and smashers of all ages, I'm going to start doing an experiment in here to get a feel for people's opinions on various popular poll characters.

I'm going to post an image of a character and I want you to type the first word that comes to your mind

Banana.

Burruni

Smash Hero

DLC

NNID
Tyblade363

Good potential.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Bayonetta and Wonder Red are equally great candidates for Platinum Games character representation.
Who said anything about representation?

Wonder Red is a baller choice 'cos he's a baller choice.

Look at him.

LOOK AT HIM AND TELL ME HE IS NOT THE GREATEST MAN IN EXISTENCE.

NNID
Tyblade363
Y'know who's also a Platinum character that would be hella baller in Smash?

How about a hint?

He does not have fame, nor does he have fortune to claim, though he does fight for the status quo.

His usual course of action is to don that mask and take them to task, especially when he must hurry, as it is now time to go.

He can do it. He can do it.

Because he is a hero second to none, he is the bravest under the sun and he does stick to his guns.

Inspiring stuff, man.

#UNITEVOTE
I'm looking at him. Not the greatest man in existence.

D

Deleted member

So is there anyone you guys support that you'd drop your mains for?
For me its just W/L & Midna and Ghirahim.
The characters that could have done that are already in (:4megaman::4lucas:). At best, if we get Bomberman or Pichu, they would be my secondary. Previously I mained :sonic: but dropped him for :4megaman: this game. But there will be nothing that will ever convince me to drop :4megaman::4lucas: as long as I play Smash. At most these two will switch around in the battle for my most used character. :4ness: probably would have been a co-main had Lucas not returned thought but he'll always remain a secondary. :4yoshi: I feel will always be a secondary of mine but I might drop :4pikachu: and :4villager:. Maybe I'll pick up :4feroy: as a secondary as well.

Burruni

Smash Hero
There's other regional desires (there's a ballot made for Western fans to vote) you know. Western support is pretty noticeable.
Yes, I know regional differences and preferences are going to be there.
But with the scale of DLC we're going to be getting here, a rough 3-5 characters after :wolf:, I do not see Bayonetta making that stake. From what we have seen from fans, many times we end up with repeated high ranking desires no matter the region (Isaac, Bandana Dee, K. Rool, Krystal, Dixie, even Paper Mario).

Bayonetta would have to dominate the ballot far harder than I see happening to be decided on for the work needed to make her a reality. Noticable? Yes. But there's noticable support for Reckless Wiimote Safety Man as well for whatever reason. Here, Ray from Custom Robo has around equal support by quick glance at the thread size and we're the far worse region for his support.

Does she have popularity? Some. But not near enough from what I've seen.

Green. . . Im not very good at this.

Second thought was DK

Also wonder red for smash. We need more wonderful 101 music and much more justice. And more whips/time bombs/hammers/guns that shoot heroes as ammunition

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

K.Rool

I'm a simple man.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Still don't forget Paper Mario. :mario64:
Paper Mario has honestly decent popularity. Top 10 raw and mostly top 5 without third party (I realised that some polls overvotes some third parties because.....well, you need more than these polls to make a correlation). Bot JP and US.

Though, I only say decent because kkr and wolf has much better popularity (it;s like top 5 raw and almost always top 3 without third party). Issac is actually more popular than him in US, but definitely not in Japan.

And don;t worry, i CANNOT forget about Paper Mario, that would be preposterous :)

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion

likely

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

Ham.
Green Ham.

D

Deleted member

Fat.

What? He is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom