• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Okay guys and gals and smashers of all ages, I'm going to start doing an experiment in here to get a feel for people's opinions on various popular poll characters.

I'm going to post an image of a character and I want you to type the first word that comes to your mind

Lets start off with someone simple

Overdue

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I'm just going to list the pros and cons of Rayman's chances in Smash 4. I'm curious on your thoughts on Rayman.
Anyway, here goes:
Pros:
  • Rayman has been the mascot of Ubisoft for 20 years, with his series selling over 25 million copies worldwide, so he's got longetivity.
  • Rayman has made an appearance on every Nintendo console since the N64 back in 1999. In fact, the original Rayman was almost released on the SNES, but was moved to the PS1 due to technical issues.
  • Nintendo published the Wii U version of Rayman Legends in Japan.
  • The Rayman series was given three trophies for no apparent reason.
  • Ever since the Omni leak, Rayman has been highly requested in America and Europe, rivaling the likes of Banjo, Snake, and Shantae. In fact, the Rayman Support thread is the biggest third party thread on Smashboards.
  • Nintendo has consistently called Ubisoft a supporter of Nintendo platforms.http://mynintendonews.com/2015/06/1...ring-about-more-big-third-party-partnerships/
Cons:
  • Although a big name to Western gamers, Rayman is a niche character in Japan.
  • Rayman Legends being made as a multiplatform title.
Do you guys agree or disagree with this?

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm just going to list the pros and cons of Rayman's chances in Smash 4. I'm curious on your thoughts on Rayman.
Anyway, here goes:
Pros:
  • Rayman has been the mascot of Ubisoft for 20 years, with his series selling over 25 million copies worldwide, so he's got longetivity.
  • Rayman has made an appearance on every Nintendo console since the N64 back in 1999. In fact, the original Rayman was almost released on the SNES, but was moved to the PS1 due to technical issues.
  • Nintendo published the Wii U version of Rayman Legends in Japan.
  • The Rayman series was given three trophies for no apparent reason.
  • Ever since the Omni leak, Rayman has been highly requested in America and Europe, rivaling the likes of Banjo, Snake, and Shantae. In fact, the Rayman Support thread is the biggest third party thread on Smashboards.
  • Nintendo has consistently called Ubisoft a supporter of Nintendo platforms.http://mynintendonews.com/2015/06/1...ring-about-more-big-third-party-partnerships/
Cons:
  • Although a big name to Western gamers, Rayman is a niche character in Japan.
  • Rayman Legends being made as a multiplatform title.
Do you guys agree or disagree with this?
(Questions/Considerations)
1) Pros - Are you counting the Rabbids games on the 25 million? Not really gonna suggest a change, just curious.
2) Pros - "For no apparent reason." Directly contradicts "Nintendo has consistently called Ubisoft a supporter of Nintendo platforms." combined with "Rayman has been the mascot of Ubisoft for 20 years." I'd more chalk it up to Rayman Legends being a very big WiiU title and Ubisoft's history with Nintendo.

(Overlooked)
3) Cons - Is not as large of a gaming icon as the likes of :4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu: or even :snake:
4) Cons - Lacks dominating support to rival :snake: in all regions.

(Question)

5) Cons - Other than the Rayman 2 remake on 3DS and the Rabbids games, does Rayman have Nintendo exclusives?

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
(Questions/Considerations)
1) Pros - Are you counting the Rabbids games on the 25 million? Not really gonna suggest a change, just curious.
2) Pros - "For no apparent reason." Directly contradicts "Nintendo has consistently called Ubisoft a supporter of Nintendo platforms." combined with "Rayman has been the mascot of Ubisoft for 20 years." I'd more chalk it up to Rayman Legends being a very big WiiU title and Ubisoft's history with Nintendo.

(Overlooked)
3) Cons - Is not as large of a gaming icon as the likes of :4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu: or even :snake:
4) Cons - Lacks dominating support to rival :snake: in all regions.
1) Yeah I counted them, although the mainline Rayman games still sold a lot.
2) I said "no apparent reason" because Sakurai didn't explain why they were put in. That's why I said that.
3) True, Rayman is not as famous as those five, but then again, are there really any other characters left that have a decent shot of making it into Smash and have the same icon status? Not really. While Rayman isn't as famous, he's famous enough on his own to make it in. He's most certainly not a no name like Bayonetta or Geno.
4) True, but that's to be expected considering he's a veteran.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
1) Yeah I counted them, although the mainline Rayman games still sold a lot.
2) I said "no apparent reason" because Sakurai didn't explain why they were put in. That's why I said that.
3) True, Rayman is not as famous as those five, but then again, are there really any other characters left that have a decent shot of making it into Smash and have the same icon status? Not really. While Rayman isn't as famous, he's famous enough on his own to make it in. He's most certainly not a no name like Bayonetta or Geno.
4) True, but that's to be expected considering he's a veteran.
Just wanted to sweep a bit of a wide net on matters.
Like Rayman 2, 3 was okay. Rabbids are a disgrace, Origins & Legends were good. I've heard 1 is nightmarish.
Still not seeing him happening any time soon, but best of luck for ya. Smash speculation is a tough world for everyone.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Like Rayman 2, 3 was okay. Rabbids are a disgrace, Origins & Legends were good. I've heard 1 is nightmarish.
Still not seeing him happening any time soon, but best of luck for ya. Smash speculation is a tough world for everyone.
Out of curiousity, why don't you see Rayman happening? Is it because you don't think he's that big of an icon?

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Thanks.
I'm not trying to treat Rayman like he's a shoo-in, but he's not impossible considering how Nintendo jumped through many legal hoops just to get three trophies. It'd seem like a waste not to make him playable.
Oh, I forgot to answer your last question:
5) Not that I can recall. Neither did Ryu. I think Rayman Raving Rabbids was exclusive to the Wii and DS, but otherwise, I don't think so. Didn't Street Fighter have an exclusive on Nintendo hardware?

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Out of curiousity, why don't you see Rayman happening? Is it because you don't think he's that big of an icon?
A) I don't think we're seeing ANYONE from 3rd Party DLC. :snake: included.
B) Rayman has very minimal support in Japan and fairly decent support in NA from what we know. Don't know for PAL.
C) The lack of being a major icon.
D) With 3-5 DLC characters from now who aren't :wolf:, there are very few characters I see making the kind of impact needed to land a spot by 1st Party alone with more overall support than any 3rd Party character.

Edit: TL;DR - Rayman is probably the best looking third party newcomer in our window for DLC. But matters around his support not being universal, a B or C list video game icon, and the small scope of DLC for quantity that I expect exclude me expecting him.

Thanks.
I'm not trying to treat Rayman like he's a shoo-in, but he's not impossible considering how Nintendo jumped through many legal hoops just to get three trophies. It'd seem like a waste not to make himplayable.
Oh, I forgot to answer your last question:
5) Not that I can recall. Neither did Ryu. I think Rayman Raving Rabbids was exclusive to the Wii and DS, but otherwise, I don't think so. Didn't Street Fighter have an exclusive on Nintendo hardware?
No, :4ryu: never had... exclusives on Nintendo. Just about every friggin version of Street Fighter before the latest draft of 4 and the upcoming 5 has landed on a Nintendo system, though, and most of all, Street Fighter (2) was a MASSIVE system seller on the SNES. Various editions being a #4, #7... and two other titles in the top 20 best selling SNES games of all time.

But he's also one of the biggest gaming faces period from a company who already had a contract active in Smash 4, something that Rayman is actually one of few character to share that trait which could make the legal matters around him less of a jump than other 3rd Party suggestions.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
B) Rayman has very minimal support in Japan and fairly decent support in NA from what we know. Don't know for PAL.
D) With 3-5 DLC characters from now who aren't :wolf:, there are very few characters I see making the kind of impact needed to land a spot by 1st Party alone with more overall support than any 3rd Party character.
Ah, I see, I disagree, but I can respect your opinion. As I stated before, I think we'll get one third party DLC, since they are pretty popular on the ballot, but then again, this is Sakuari we're talking about.

@ GaroMaster GaroMaster Rayman: Hoodlums' Revenge was a GBA exclusive.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

No, :4ryu: never had... exclusives on Nintendo. Just about every friggin version of Street Fighter before the latest draft of 4 and the upcoming 5 has landed on a Nintendo system, though, and most of all, Street Fighter (2) was a MASSIVE system seller on the SNES. Various editions being a #4, #7... and two other titles in the top 20 best selling SNES games of all time.

But he's also one of the biggest gaming faces period from a company who already had a contract active in Smash 4, something that Rayman is actually one of few character to share that trait which could make the legal matters around him less of a jump than other 3rd Party suggestions.
There's actually a mistake. SF3 was never on Nintendo consoles and even then Street Fighter 2 and all of its updates and re-releases have been on almost every console and handheld ever

SNES
Genesis
GB
Game Gear
3DO
PS1
Saturn
DC
PS2
Xbox
GBA
PSP
Wii
Xbox 360
PS3
Wii U
Mobile
PC

And let's be frank, we all expect a PS4/Xbone port soon. SF2 is the 2nd most ported game of all time (behind Sonic 1 and beating out the first Rayman game)

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
i wanna know why people still treat wolf as if he is a lock.I believe that if he was gonna be in they would have put him with roy and lucas.At this point it's ballot or bust for wolf

Burruni

Smash Hero
There's actually a mistake. SF3 was never on Nintendo consoles and even then Street Fighter 2 and all of its updates and re-releases have been on almost every console and handheld ever

SNES
Genesis
GB
Game Gear
3DO
PS1
Saturn
DC
PS2
Xbox
GBA
PSP
Wii
Xbox 360
PS3
Wii U
Mobile
PC

And let's be frank, we all expect a PS4/Xbone port soon. SF2 is the 2nd most ported game of all time (behind Sonic 1 and beating out the first Rayman game)
A) I didn't know 3 never happened on Nintendo.
B) Yes. But it was a SYSTEM SELLER, not just being ON THE SYSTEM. THAT is the main difference. Its editions being such massive sales on the SNES is what made it a big point. A series other than :4mario: making up 4 of the best 20 selling games for ANY Nintendo console is unheard of unless you name is :4pikachu:.

Oh right.
What about Raving Rabbids 2? Was it only on Wii and DS or....?
All the Rabbids games were on PC, looked it up.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Okay guys and gals and smashers of all ages, I'm going to start doing an experiment in here to get a feel for people's opinions on various popular poll characters.

I'm going to post an image of a character and I want you to type the first word that comes to your mind

Anticipation.

Because the next time the character gets a render remotely of that quality, it'll be for either Smash or DKCR3, and I can't wait to see what it looks like.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Here's my prediction for how the roster is going to turn out when DLC is done.

I predict that were going to see 2 more characters before the ballot ends and have at least one ballot character in development before the ballot ends (I personally think that character will be K. Rool given his popularity). I also believe were going to have 3 ballot characters in total (K. Rool, Bandana Dee, and Isaac) all released by the end of the year and thus Smash 4 having a final roster count of 60 characters. This is based on my theory that there's going to be 3 ballot characters; one that's popular in Japan (Bandana Dee), one that's popular in the West (Isaac), and the other that's popular across the globe (K. Rool).

As for the stages, I personally think we could see another 64 stage as Sm4sH doesn't really have that many and that Saffron City is highly requested to return to the game. Melee stages are lacking in the game IMO and I personally think we could see a good 2 Melee stages (Poke Floats and Rainbow Cruise) to balance that out. Brawl is good in terms of the amount of stages it has but I can personally see the Pirate Ship stage returning mainly because LoZ is unlikely to have a DLC character rep in the game and that the stage is generally loved by fans. As for the question marks, the first one is supposed to be Suzaku Castle but I couldn't find an icon for it hence the question mark. The second and third ones respectively are Shadow Moses Island and Venus Lighthouse and I would imagine they would be bundled alongside Snake and Isaac like how Suzaku Castle is bundled with Ryu. The last question mark is for a brand new stage that I think might happen in the game that's exclusive to Smash Bros and not any other series.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Badass.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I predict that were going to see 2 more characters before the ballot ends and have at least one ballot character in development before the ballot ends (I personally think that character will be K. Rool given his popularity). I also believe were going to have 3 ballot characters in total (K. Rool, Bandana Dee, and Isaac) all released by the end of the year and thus Smash 4 having a final roster count of 60 characters. This is based on my theory that there's going to be 3 ballot characters; one that's popular in Japan (Bandana Dee), one that's popular in the West (Isaac), and the other that's popular across the globe (K. Rool).

As for the stages, I personally think we could see another 64 stage as Sm4sH doesn't really have that many and that Saffron City is highly requested to return to the game. Melee stages are lacking in the game IMO and I personally think we could see a good 2 Melee stages (Poke Floats and Rainbow Cruise) to balance that out. Brawl is good in terms of the amount of stages it has but I can personally see the Pirate Ship stage returning mainly because LoZ is unlikely to have a DLC character rep in the game and that the stage is generally loved by fans. As for the question marks, the first one is supposed to be Suzaku Castle but I couldn't find an icon for it hence the question mark. The second and third ones respectively are Shadow Moses Island and Venus Lighthouse and I would imagine they would be bundled alongside Snake and Isaac like how Suzaku Castle is bundled with Ryu. The last question mark is for a brand new stage that I think might happen in the game that's exclusive to Smash Bros and not any other series.
0/10 due to repulsive lack of Fountain of Dreams. :p
Just kidding. I think this is pretty good. (Though I'm still hoping for more characters than that.)

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero

Manliness

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Abandoned.

How would you react to this?:

(Not a prediction roster by the way)
Yay: Wolf, Dixie, Inklings, Rayman
Nay: Bayonetta, Chorus Men
Okay: Snake, K. Rool, Layton
Worse than Micheal Bay: Shovel Knight

Troykv

Smash Master

King.

He is the king in this "competition".

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Y'know who's also a Platinum character that would be hella baller in Smash?

How about a hint?

He does not have fame, nor does he have fortune to claim, though he does fight for the status quo.

His usual course of action is to don that mask and take them to task, especially when he must hurry, as it is now time to go.

He can do it. He can do it.

Because he is a hero second to none, he is the bravest under the sun and he does stick to his guns.

Inspiring stuff, man.

#UNITEVOTE
This feline knows whats up.

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad

Vile

How would you react to this?:

(Not a prediction roster by the way)
7.5/10 Too much third-parties and lack of Dee.

10/10.

Last edited:

TallT

Smash Apprentice

Your predictions are pretty much everything I desire. I love it 10/10!

Although, I don't think we will receive the Pirate Ship from Wind Waker because I think all DLC stages we receive will be compatible for both Wii U and 3DS, and since the swimming mechanic was not implemented in the 3DS version it makes the Pirate Ship unlikely.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

kool.

Your predictions are pretty much everything I desire. I love it 10/10!

Although, I don't think we will receive the Pirate Ship from Wind Waker because I think all DLC stages we receive will be compatible for both Wii U and 3DS, and since the swimming mechanic was not implemented in the 3DS version it makes the Pirate Ship unlikely.
Just make every fighter go "Too much water 7.8/10" - IGN and go through the blast zone.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Not sure myself on what's left to really speculate. I mean I'd make a roster for the good ol' times guessing what the DLC will be, but at this point we pretty much know that at least two more characters will come thanks to the Mewtwo update data mining. How long do we think Sakurai will keep this up for?

The ballot ends October, and he's specifically stated all character DLC from here on out is essentially "fanservice" or just better described as being derived from the polls. I mean if that's the case, with everyone and their parents saying Donkey Kong needs a new character, K. Rool or Dixie are like a shoe-in (K. Rool being the more vocal candidate).

That just leaves the second character to be a wildcard of popularity. Snake? Krystal? Shovel Knight? Brash the Bear? Waddle Dee? Isaac? Wolf? There is no real definitive answer. I guess that's really the only thing left to speculate character-wise if you ask me.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

Main.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
okay then, seeing how the last one went so well lets try it with a bit more...controversial character in the polls

And I don't mean Goku

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
But then again, she is growing.

Goodnight, for now.
I don't think "growing" is a term I would use for a franchise that sold so poorly that a third party had to step in to fund a sequel with said sequel selling even worse than the original.

I'd like my Smash characters to have some legacy, or if not, to at least likely be an active franchise by the time Smash 5 rolls around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom