• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Okay guys and gals and smashers of all ages, I'm going to start doing an experiment in here to get a feel for people's opinions on various popular poll characters.

I'm going to post an image of a character and I want you to type the first word that comes to your mind

Lets start off with someone simple

Definitely.
And I just saw this one -
okay then, seeing how the last one went so well lets try it with a bit more...controversial character in the polls

And I don't mean Goku

Awksome (Awkward due to Konami, awesome character in Smash Bros)

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
How would you react to this?:

(Not a prediction roster by the way)
Personally, I'd have absolutely no problem if this was the DLC roster. Even though I've never played a Professor Layton or Rhythm Heaven game, we'd get the two biggest remaining veterans (assuming that, even with this extra time, the Ice Climbers remain impossible on the 3DS, which would be frustrating but hopefully mean that they'd be brought back for the next game), as well as two characters from an extremely under-represented series (I'd love to see another Metroid or Zelda character, but most of the best options for those franchises were inexplicably made into assist trophies or stage hazards).

Aside from that, we've got Inkling (which, even if they don't make it as DLC, seems like a shoo-in for the next game), and as far as third party choices go, I'd be perfectly fine with these ones. Like I said, I haven't played Layton, but Snake really should be brought back (there's no character on the current roster who plays even remotely like him, so it was disappointing to see him get cut).

Given that his latest games are 2D platformers with an emphasis on melee combat, it's really easy to picture Rayman in the game (plus, even though I only got into the series a few years ago, it's really fun), and while they're more obscure compared to the third party characters who have already gotten in, I'd love to see Bayonetta and Shovel Knight make it in.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Personally, I'd have absolutely no problem if this was the DLC roster. Even though I've never played a Professor Layton or Rhythm Heaven game, we'd got the two biggest remaining veterans (assuming that, even with this extra time, the Ice Climbers remain impossible on the 3DS, which would be frustrating but hopefully mean that they'd be brought back for the next game), as well as two characters from an extremely under-represented series (I'd love to see another Metroid or Zelda character, but most of the best options for those franchises were inexplicably made into assist trophies or stage hazards).

Aside from that, we've got Inkling (which, even if they don't make it as DLC, seems like a shoo-in for the next game), and as far as third party choices go, I'd be perfectly fine with these ones. Like I said, I haven't played Layton, but Snake really should be brought back (there's no character on the current roster who plays even remotely like him, so it was disappointing to see him get cut).

Given that his latest games are 2D platformers with an emphasis on melee combat, it's really easy to picture Rayman in the game (plus, even though I only got into the series a few years ago, it's really fun), and while they're more obscure compared to the third party characters who have already gotten in, I'd love to see Bayonetta and Shovel Knight make it in.
There's plenty of great characters left. It's a shame to see this ride coming to an end. Outside of my usual requests, I wouldn't have minded to see Inkling. Splatoon is a nice game just wish they didn't start handing out maximum range, super cheesy charger weapons with kraken specials and the idea was well developed. Now that this 50+ character monstrosity is guaranteed to receive at least two more characters, I wonder how they're going to deal with all these veterans in the next iteration.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
okay then, seeing how the last one went so well lets try it with a bit more...controversial character in the polls

And I don't mean Goku

Butt.

The chances part of it, given how crazy Konami is getting over the coarse of each press release that comes from them.
Still easy money for them.

Would be great if they begged asked Sakurai nicely to have him return.

Though as far as anyone knows, it's Nintendo that's jamming their foot in the door.

Either way, we miss you, Snake, please come home to us~

Troykv

Smash Master

And I don't mean Goku

Awkward.

The Sony and Mature Character in a Family Friendly Nintendo Game.... But still a great Fighter and Character.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
"And people make various counter-arguments about how the character that was promoted in Playboy can a year later be toned down for an E-10+ game without sacrificing her character." - Me, in that post.
And I admit, you do some of the best damn job at arguing for her.

But lack of legacy and even moreso lack of popularity is what kills the vast amount of hope for her.

And short Bayo is only like 4000% better than beehive hair. So I'm taking 10 points from gryffindor for you gif.
Playboy =/= Smash =/=B2 =/= B1
They all have different ratings. (at least in EU, where B2 is 16+and B1 is 18+........and Metroid Prime was rated teen in NA).

But thank you for the compliments. :D
If we can't even get Tharja in this smash as a trophy, Bayonetta's got a problem whether you deem it valid or not.

Not even touching on the fact that she's very minor compared to :snake::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu:.

Those guys are icons and shapers of the industry. In a league of their own.

Bayonetta had an exclusive game that happened to be really good.

Yeah.....
A game does not simply 'happen' to be really good. And both critically and by user ratings, it (along with the first one), is beyond 'really good'.

My point was that, while fairly out-dated, PushDustin's work there is the best grasp we have on the Japanese desires with DLC.

And Bayonetta was just about as requested as those guys who AREN'T highly requested in this data.

Edit: What is there to suggest her popularity in japan would have noticably risen in this time, if this would be drastically inaccurate?
Do not forget, the smash ballot is GLOBAL. And this game proves that Sakurai also looks at western support.

Little Mac was similarly that low in Japan, and when he was revealed, many people were like 'Who is he?' as thier first impressions. I have seen articles about it when he was revealed.
Y'know who's also a Platinum character that would be hella baller in Smash?

How about a hint?

He does not have fame, nor does he have fortune to claim, though he does fight for the status quo.

His usual course of action is to don that mask and take them to task, especially when he must hurry, as it is now time to go.

He can do it. He can do it.

Because he is a hero second to none, he is the bravest under the sun and he does stick to his guns.

Inspiring stuff, man.

#UNITEVOTE
Technically, he is 1st party. So both could be in and are both great choices. ( I obviously prefer Bayonetta for a plethora of reasons.)
Who said anything about representation?

Wonder Red is a baller choice 'cos he's a baller choice.

Look at him.

LOOK AT HIM AND TELL ME HE IS NOT THE GREATEST MAN IN EXISTENCE.
I feel like Bayonetta has a much much mucho better moveset than him.

What do you say eh?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Really?
First thing that comes to mind when I think Solid Snake is Cardboard Box.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Snake?

first thing that comes to mind is : Guns.
The first thing that comes to my mind is the ! alert song.
And then I think about the cardboard box.
Then I think about sneaking around and cracking necks.
Then Otacon.
Then about explosives.
Then about the silly things you can do like the photo shoot work with... about every female villain at this point.
Then about his guns.
Then about how :4falcon:has never used the pistol strapped to his leg.
Then I think about how Miyamoto keeps making excuses to not make :4falcon: despite there MK8 and NintendoLand which prove it's totally functional on WiiU.
Then I cry.
You made me cry.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Still waiting :urg:

I still havent played Metal gear solid even though I own the HD collection for PS3 because it didnt come with MGS 1. . .
There's always Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes for the Gamecube. And correct me if I'm wrong (I don't actually own any Playstation systems), but isn't Metal Gear Solid available to download on PS3?

There's always Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes for the Gamecube. And correct me if I'm wrong (I don't actually own any Playstation systems), but isn't Metal Gear Solid available to download on PS3?
It is. But im just extremely lazy and have a huge backlog of games I need to play.

and yet im ignoring that backlog to replay Fallout 3. :psycho: when I should be recording Metroid Prime

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'd recommend getting it - the first MGS game is pretty short, so it shouldn't take too long to complete it and get back to Fallout 3. :laugh:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Snake?

first thing that comes to mind is : Guns.
Really? First thing that comes to my mind...

'hmm...wonder what it tastes like' :4yoshi:

and...

'Mei Ling! Samus took her clothes off!':4zss:

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Did you play Ape Escape 3? Love that game.
All 3 of the originals. 100%
And then couldn't recognize Spike's appearance in PSABR
10/10 job with your designs, Sony.
Edit: Evolution of his design.
Only the top line got released outside of japan. (Pumped & Primed came out in 2006)

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
:luigi2:"Colonel!"
:pit: "Angels?! Give me a break!"
:falcon:"Falcon Punch!"

Codecs > :4palutena: Guidance.
The one thing that fears me is that if they bring Snake back, what happens to the codecs? I doubt they'll bring back Snake, Otacon, Colonel and Mei Ling back to do their roles again for the other 45% of the roster. Especially the returning vets that wasn't in Brawl :4drmario::4mewtwo:&:4feroy: and the newcomers.

Although I still want my :4palutena:,:4pacman:,:4ryu:and :4duckhunt:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
The first thing that comes to my mind is the ! alert song.
And then I think about the cardboard box.
Then I think about sneaking around and cracking necks.
Then Otacon.
Then about explosives.
Then about the silly things you can do like the photo shoot work with... about every female villain at this point.
Then about his guns.
Then about how :4falcon:has never used the pistol strapped to his leg.
Then I think about how Miyamoto keeps making excuses to not make :4falcon: despite there MK8 and NintendoLand which prove it's totally functional on WiiU.
Then I cry.
You made me cry.
sorry but I never played MGS.

except the demo of snake eater.

I go by trailers & brawl specials...............

Burruni

Smash Hero
sorry but I never played MGS.

except the demo of snake eater.

I go by trailers & brawl specials...............
Short Version: Your guns are garbage. Use explosives. Unless it's a boss, then pump them with as much lead as possible.
At least that was my experience with MGS1, the only other game of the series I've played.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Glad to see some Snake love in here.

Snake fans should be more vocal on social media. I'd really like to see him back. The more I see people talk about him, the more I am saddened that he's gone.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
MGS3 and MGS4 is like this:
Tranq Guns are your best friend for getting the better emblems. All about being non-lethal and really fast whilst not getting spotted.
I think I've only gotten a Big Boss emblem once.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom