• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'd be surprised if we didn't get at least get one 3rd party based on the ballot, otherwise the any video-game character rule seems like a pointless rule at this point. Just my view on the matter.
That rule was already pointless because that would include characters that have never appeared on a Nintendo system like the TF2 Heavy:
http://smashboards.com/threads/run-...-any-video-game-character-is-eligible.404459/

Smash is about that Nintendo history.
Heavy's claim to fame is "Pootis!"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What if Anna is canonically straight?
That's impying there is only one Anna. Something that is 100% false. Also, apparantly 60% of women are bi. 60 out of 100 Annas will be Les Yay Waifu material.
K.Rol confirmed imo by the 'fanservice only' part. Honestly, I want to rub it in Blue's face but I want to offer him a virtual handshake

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I'd be surprised if we didn't get at least get one 3rd party based on the ballot, otherwise the any video-game character rule seems like a pointless rule at this point. Just my view on the matter.
How do you go from:

3rd parties are eligible

To:

3rd parties are confirmed

Seems a ridiculous jump in logic to me.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
They have the option open, but if no third party candidates voted for seem appealing or demanded enough, they have no obligation to add one simply for the sake of adding one.

D

Deleted member

sev·er·al
ˈsev(ə)rəl/
determiner & pronoun
  1. 1.
    more than two but not many.
    "the author of several books"
O_O

I misread that. I thought several meant "more than one but not many". In that case I will gladly eat my words. :)

Burruni

Smash Hero
They have the option open, but if no third party candidates voted for seem appealing or demanded enough, they have no obligation to add one simply for the sake of adding one.
When the two that have been "top results" in fan polls, excluding the obvious contender of :snake:, are Banjo-Kazooie & Bayonetta, I strongly feel that the "option" certainly is not a likely ground for there TO be one.

Edit: I forgot about Rayman.
Granted, Rayman's a possibility, but not a probability.... like I'd say for Shantae.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The word was translated from Japanese, so it might not be as exact as several. But several is more than two.

One is one. A couple is two. A few is three.

StormC

Smash Hero
This. Seriously guys. Nintendo has so many options for Nintendo DLC that further third parties are probably more trouble than they're worth.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm beginning to think, costumes aside, that the Inklings have a decent shot if poll results are being looked at and we get 4 or more characters. They're popular in Japan as well as in the West, and the game hit at the right time for people to jump on the band wagon. Let's not forget that Splatoon has already sold over a million copies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Based on the article I'm saying four more. 3 from the ballot and Wolf. That's about all I expected anyway.

I'm beginning to think, costumes aside, that the Inklings have a decent shot if poll results are being looked at and we get 4 or more characters. They're popular in Japan as well as in the West, and the game hit at the right time for people to jump on the band wagon. Let's not forget that Splatoon has already sold over a million copies.
With extremely limited slots and Sakurai counting costumes as representation... no, I don't think so. I don't think any DLC characters will get Mii costumes before they're added as actual characters.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
As I've said before.
Costumes alone proved they weren't pre-ballot.
But they were noticable in Japanese support, the people who said "don't jump the gun, we don't even have the game," as far back as Februrary, according to... https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/02/19/perception-of-smash-dlc-in-japan/

They clearly have strong support worldwide.
There's plenty of ways to keep them distinct from the Miinkling outfits.
If anything, those costumes could put them ahead on modeling for actual Inkling fighters.

The best argument people give is "They're better for Smash 5," which I won't begin to rant about.

They have a definite good-to-strong chance, especially if what we're getting is "Fanservice."

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
2 at a minimum, due to the extra "Mario slots" found during datamining. Sakurai's wording in the article made it seem like we will see more than that. 3-5 seems like a good guess at the moment. (I'm going with 4 on gut feeling at the moment, as it would make 4 preballot and 4 during/post ballot. 6 would be my absolute maximum, but I would be shocked if it went that high.)
I would love if "several" means 6 Ballot DLC characters... and it would mean expanding the CSS by one more column in the 3DS version and two more columns in the Wii U version.

Wii U CSS with Ballot DLC

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::rosalina::4bowserjr::4wario::4dk::4diddy::4gaw::4littlemac::4link::4zelda::4sheik:
:4ganondorf::4tlink::4samus::4zss::4pit::4palutena::4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4duckhunt::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4fox::4falco:
:4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4jigglypuff::4greninja::4rob::4ness::4falcon::4villager::4olimar::4wiifit::4shulk::4drmario::4darkpit::4lucina:
:4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::substitute::substitute::substitute::substitute::substitute::substitute::4mii::substitute:

3DS CSS with Ballot DLC

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::rosalina::4bowserjr::4wario::4gaw::substitute:
:4dk::4diddy::4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4tlink::4samus::4zss::substitute:
:4pit::4palutena::4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4littlemac::substitute:
:4fox::4falco::4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4jigglypuff::4greninja::4duckhunt::4rob::substitute:
:4ness::4falcon::4villager::4olimar::4wiifit::4drmario::4darkpit::4lucina::4shulk::substitute:
:4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::substitute::4mii::substitute:

And it would mean a total of 10 DLC characters for SSB4.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think for third party ballots, it's Snake or nothing.

But if K. Rool gets in we can get Master Chief for all I care.

Bangirasu

Smash Rookie
NNID
Quimet87
3DS FC
4038-6572-1716
''From now until the end, it is going to be fan service [2] , but I can’t keep the development team together forever, so there’s only going to be several more characters [3]. I also ask for your patience, as we need time to develop more content.''

#PrayForIceClimbers

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Most of the third-parties do have the appeal and demand to get in the game though, isn't that one of the main reasons why people are voting them in the first place. Shantae, Bayonetta, Shovel Knight, Professor Layton, and many others bring their own unique appeal with a unique target audience, each of their respective series are pretty popular to a certain degree to get a good amount of people to buy the character. The only issue I see really is going through the hoops to get the character.

Honestly im pretty sure i dont care for DLC too much anymore.

Viridi isnt happening.
ridley isnt happening. (Inb4 but sakurai said fanservice)
Wonder red is unlikely at best.
inklings have a shot.
Roy is already in.

Honestly because i got so many characters i wanted i dont care who is in as long as they are fun at this point :)

*returns to college orientation *

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
''From now until the end, it is going to be fan service [2] , but I can’t keep the development team together forever, so there’s only going to be several more characters [3]. I also ask for your patience, as we need time to develop more content.''

#PrayForIceClimbers
I highly doubt they have enough resources to fix the kinks

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Most of the third-parties do have the appeal and demand to get in the game though, isn't that one of the main reasons why people are voting them in the first place. Shantae, Bayonetta, Shovel Knight, Professor Layton, and many others bring their own unique appeal with a unique target audience, each of their respective series are pretty popular to a certain degree to get a good amount of people to buy the character. The only issue I see really is going through the hoops to get the character.
All that really depends on whether all that's enough for Sakurai to seriously consider them. That's beyond our ability to fully predict, but judging by how strict he is when it comes to Third Party characters, it might take quite a bit for him to add anymore.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Based on the article I'm saying four more. 3 from the ballot and Wolf. That's about all I expected anyway.

With extremely limited slots and Sakurai counting costumes as representation... no, I don't think so. I don't think any DLC characters will get Mii costumes before they're added as actual characters.
Costumes were added as promotion, but the game is a legitimate success. If Sakurai is honestly looking towards ballot new comers, and the Inklings are number 2-3 (excluding unfeasible third party requests,) than I do not know why they wouldn't make it. It really depends on how the votes turn out, and unlike some characters, Inklings have international appeal.

Also, I don't think Wolf was planned to get in pre-ballot. He has a decent shot largely because I am sure he is doing very well in the ballot (especially in Japan.)

Burruni

Smash Hero
They could change their mechanic, or give them a mechanic like Olimar.
They won't.
Period.
Sakurai wouldn't change :4ganondorf: in spite of outcry because it'd alienate his fanbase.

Sakurai didn't put Ridley in because it'd compromise his menacing character.

Why the HELL would they remove the Smash identity of Ice Climbers to put them on the roster when they were someone Sakurai hand chose to embody a gimmick?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
From now until the end, it is going to be fan service.
I think Sakurai has spelled out his criteria for us and proven it in his games. I think he never just adds fan-service characters, he adds a mixture of fan-service characters and unexpected surprises. I think even though we have a character popularity ballot and even though we have this quote, that doesn't mean that he won't stick to his normal game criteria for DLC. I think Sakurai doesn't just add who we want, he adds who we didn't know we want.

Yay!

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really want Simon Belmont in Smash so bad... I can just picture holding down the A button to have Simon hold out the whip.... and then move the control stick around to make Simon wave his whip just like in Super Castlevania IV... and he could whip in diagonal directions on ground and in all 8 directions in midair... using sub-weapons from the NES games like holy water, ax, dagger, even diamond and garlic from Simon's Quest... and his Final Smash being "what a horrible night to have a curse" and using the cross to summon the morning sun to vanquish the horrible night and opponents... and a Castlevania stage, oh yes!!!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think Sakurai has spelled out his criteria for us and proven it in his games. I think he never just adds fan-service characters, he adds a mixture of fan-service characters and unexpected surprises. I think even though we have a character popularity ballot and even though we have this quote, that doesn't mean that he won't stick to his normal game criteria for DLC. I think Sakurai doesn't just add who we want, he adds who we didn't know we want.

Yay!

100% agree. He may just be lowering our expectations on purpose just so he can shatter them. However, my optimism is gone.
Honestly im pretty sure i dont care for DLC too much anymore.

Viridi isnt happening.
ridley isnt happening. (Inb4 but sakurai said fanservice)
Wonder red is unlikely at best.
inklings have a shot.
Roy is already in.

Honestly because i got so many characters i wanted i dont care who is in as long as they are fun at this point :)

*returns to college orientation *
Same, but with different characters, and no college orientation.

StormC

Smash Hero

Yay!

That's a Blue quote, innit.

Cool Typhlosion

Smash Apprentice
I'm predicting 2 pre ballot dlc characters are left (Wolf most likely one of them) and 4-5 ballot characters (1-2 universal ballot character, one U.S highly requested character, One highly requested Japan character, and a character from Europe)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If it is legal, I am willing to do an avatar bet that both Wolf and King K. Rool gets in as DLC. If one of them fails to get in, I will change my avatar to whatever you guys want for a month. If neither gets in, I will publicly humiliate myself. That is how confident I am that one of these two will get in.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm predicting 2 pre ballot dlc characters are left (Wolf most likely one of them) and 4-5 ballot characters (1-2 universal ballot character, one U.S highly requested character, One highly requested Japan character, and a character from Europe)
Considering Sakurai's statements that's way too much. 2-3 ballot characters at best. More likely 1-2.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Only "several" more characters coming as DLC Sakurai?

Omigosh, that gives us *gasp* nothing new!!

Unless you thought we'd only be getting <3 more I suppose.

Aww, <3... xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom