• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Wait wait wait

How is the pre-ballot characters over?

Theres 2 more emptys from the patch leak with the ryu and voice files

(The 5 marios under mewtwo.)

So woulden't they're be 2 more pre-ballot characters?

And from the interview theres no way 2 is several more i think hes talking 4 more from that interview + the 2 under mewtwo, lucas, roy, ryu.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
In all seriousness, it's nice to hear from the horse's mouth that what the vast majority thought was going to happen with the ballot, is going to happen with the ballot. It shouldn't surprise anyone that we're getting several more characters or that fan-service is the focus. It's just nice to get positive reaffirmation after a long period of silence, and to place a kibosh upon the tired circular arguments that have dominated this thread ever since the game-changing notion of a popularity ballot sort of faded into the background. The focus is now back on the characters themselves, where it belongs.

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Several characters based on fanservice (not THAT fanservice?

This only hypes me up even more for Sm4sh DLC!

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ok so I read over the article now.

...I guess popularity does matter after all, huh? Who would've guessed? :troll:

Things are looking brighter for my boy blonde Marth. :grin:

That said I'm pretty sure those two Marios still indicate two more pre-ballot characters, one of which is Wolf.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Popularity matters in a Popularity poll?

2 Pre-Ballot characters (Wolf and someone else we never knew we wanted or Snake) plus up to 3 Ballot characters.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
So aside from Snake, who do you think is the other possible pre ballot character?

PK_Knee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamernerd123
I haven't been here in a while. But getting on the subject I think if any characters from Brawl come back it would be Ice Climbers. I wouldn't want it to be that way but... whatever.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If "veteran supporters" aren't satisfied getting five of the seven most popular veterans (assuming we don't get Snake - though we might) that comes off as kind of greedy...

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Popularity matters in a Popularity poll?

2 Pre-Ballot characters (Wolf and someone else we never knew we wanted or Snake) plus up to 3 Ballot characters.
Yes

There are 5 emptys under mewtwo from the sound file leak from early

:4lucas::4feroy::4ryu: Makes it 4 out of 6

And tourny mode online/offline is for august so thats when the next update is.

And i think the 2 other characters from the leak will be revealed at the time

And august fits the pattern of the 2 month period of directs (E3 was june so 2 months up thats august so the next direct he talks about wave 3 of dlc and the 2 emptys get revealed.)

And then in october about when the votes end sakurai reveals the winners.

And possibly some curveballs. (Not)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Several, if that's an accurate translation of his meaning, is more than 2.
Just to note.

I'm going back to my grounds of :wolf:+3 "Ballot" choices ~> 5 ballot.
I was just saying that 2 pre-ballot characters and 4-5 ballot characters is too much. If it were JUST ballot characters, no more pre-ballot (which I doubt), then yes I could see 4-5 ballot characters. Otherwise I'm thinking 1-2 pre-ballot (Wolf included) and 2-3 ballot characters.

Ok so I read over the article now.

...I guess popularity does matter after all, huh? Who would've guessed? :troll:

Things are looking brighter for my boy blonde Marth. :grin:

That said I'm pretty sure those two Marios still indicate two more pre-ballot characters, one of which is Wolf.
In other words, exactly what almost everyone was saying except for a select few. Its nothing new for us, it just reinforced what most everyone already thought anyway.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
:wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf:
:wolf::wolf::wolf:

....I realised the fact that I posted those 8 heads to the like victory jingle for Snake would never translate over text.
Hmm, probably should've reworded that question.
Excluding Snake, who will be joining Wolf as the other pre-ballot character?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Yes

There are 5 emptys under mewtwo from the sound file leak from early

:4lucas::4feroy::4ryu: Makes it 4 out of 6

And tourny mode online/offline is for august so thats when the next update is.

And i think the 2 other characters from the leak will be revealed at the time

And august fits the pattern of the 2 month period of directs (E3 was june so 2 months up thats august so the next direct he talks about wave 3 of dlc and the 2 emptys get revealed.)

And then in october about when the votes end sakurai reveals the winners.

And possibly some curveballs. (Not)
You say that like I'm not aware of how NDs usually work and like I didn't know about the Sound File leak.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Hmm, probably should've reworded that question.
Excluding Snake, who will be joining Wolf as the other pre-ballot character?
Honestly, one of the more likely ideas would be Dixie.
Worked on in some capacity in Brawl in conjunction with Diddy and had recent promotion (when Smash 4's Roster was initially drafted up) via Tropical Freeze.
While not as huge of a reveal as the likes of :4ryu: for a newcomer, it's a theory.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I think we should get some newcomers..... like Shovel Knight, or Inkling.
We will.
Through the ballot phase without doubt because after Wolf there are two veterans with any notable support left. Both with notable issues to surmount (:snake: &:popo:)

Shovel Knight has little to no hopes being a 3rd Party with no legacy nor any scheduled Japanese release after its' time for Nintendo exclusivity has drawn far out.

Inklings have a good-strong chance... like I went over a page ago.

Last edited:

PK_Knee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamernerd123
We will.
Through the ballot phase without doubt because after Wolf there are two veterans with any notable support left. Both with notable issues to surmount (:snake: &:popo:)

Shovel Knight has little to no hopes being a 3rd Party with no legacy nor any scheduled Japanese release after its' time for Nintendo exclusivity has drawn far out.

Inklings have a good-strong chance... like I went over a page ago.
I didn't know it didn't have a scheduled Japanese release... that sucks.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I didn't know it didn't have a scheduled Japanese release... that sucks.
Yeah....
He's been multi-plat with more bosses via the console based exclusives on everything but Nintendo since shortly before the Ballot iirc.
But the fact that he has no japanese release, and no news for one to come as of yet puts him far behind the 8-Ball, even as Indies go.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
As for who could be the last 2, Wolf is probably a given. I could see Dixie or Chorus Kids being one of the remaining two, but moreso Dixie at this point. Or it could be another scrapped character that didn't get finished. like with the case with Bowser Jr.

Yeah....
He's been multi-plat with more bosses via the console based exclusives on everything but Nintendo since shortly before the Ballot iirc.
But the fact that he has no japanese release, and no news for one to come as of yet puts him far behind the 8-Ball, even as Indies go.
He is getting one soon actually.
http://yachtclubgames.com/2015/04/out-now-on-playstation-xbox-one-date-japan-updates-and-lullabies/

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I could see it being Dixie.

Not so much with the Chorus Kids, I think they're in the same boat as the ICs and won't show up until Smash 5.

Burruni

Smash Hero
As for who could be the last 2, Wolf is probably a given. I could see Dixie or Chorus Kids being one of the remaining two, but moreso Dixie at this point. Or it could be another scrapped character that didn't get finished. like with the case with Bowser Jr.

He is getting one soon actually.
http://yachtclubgames.com/2015/04/out-now-on-playstation-xbox-one-date-japan-updates-and-lullabies/
I didn't hear about this.
Okay, it's planned BUT not scheduled, so we have no clue on a date and it will likely come after the ballot with all odds.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I didn't hear about this.
Okay, it's planned BUT not scheduled, so we have no clue on a date and it will likely come after the ballot with all odds.
Planned, true, but Wolf could easily come out in August and we get some info on other characters to appear later. At this point I do think they've probably started working on some ballot characters already.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Planned, true, but Wolf could easily come out in August and we get some info on other characters to appear later. At this point I do think they've probably started working on some ballot characters already.
I don't get what Wolf being likely in august has to do with Shovel Knight having poor chances due to a lack of even a date for a Japanese release for his game on top of other issues?

D

Deleted member

As 8-player mode appears to be Smash U's "biggest" thing, I predict we'll likely get a total of 8 add-on characters, with :

- 2 Melee veterans :4mewtwo::4feroy:
- 2 Brawl veterans :4lucas::wolf:
- 2 pre-ballot newcomers :4ryu:(?)
- 2 post-ballot newcomers (?) (?)

Last edited by a moderator:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't get what Wolf being likely in august has to do with Shovel Knight having poor chances due to a lack of even a date for a Japanese release for his game on top of other issues?
Oh, sorry. I must not have seen the previous reply. I didn't realize it had anything to do with Shovel Knight. I thought you read something in Sakurai's article I missed about his "several more characters" comment.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Sakurai didn't put Ridley in because it'd compromise his menacing character.
Yes yes we get it, if you make Him 6ft tall instead of his usual 12ft it's suddenly a lot less threatening, y'know ignoring the claws, the teeth, the spiked tail and his constant attempts to kill you

because CLEALRY,

It's Ridley's HEIGHT that make his character, see here, nothing bigger than Ridley, see that Purple dragon thing, no screw that, that's not Ridley that's just a hologram, Ridley's in the godamn background that whole space is just his eye he's so godamn big

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So let me get the situation straight on the veterans (overlooking how likely they are unless their likeliness keeps them from being liked).
We want :wolf: back because... he was a unique veteran?
We want :popo: and :snake: because we want the face of stealth games, back and because... The Ice Climbers were unique veterans? But we don't speak of them much because difficulties that everyone is trying to drill into everyone's head that there is a 100% chance that they will keep them out of the game.
We don't want :ivysaur: and :squirtle: because "reps", and popularity.
We don't want :younglinkmelee: because we have :4tlink:, and people get the wrong idea that they are the same thing.
We don't want :pichumelee: even though he has the most potential to be unique because he was a joke character as well as a clone in Melee.
Yes yes we get it, if you make Him 6ft tall instead of his usual 12ft it's suddenly a lot less threatening, y'know ignoring the claws, the teeth, the spiked tail and his constant attempts to kill you

because CLEALRY,

It's Ridley's HEIGHT that make his character, see here, nothing bigger than Ridley, see that Purple dragon thing, no screw that, that's not Ridley that's just a hologram, Ridley's in the background that whole space is just his eye he's so big

Honestly I don't find Ridley all that menacing looking. (Even less now that I know he sounds like a bird in two of his appearances. A very annoying bird.)

Burruni

Smash Hero

because CLEALRY,

It's Ridley's HEIGHT that make his character, see here, nothing bigger than Ridley, see that Purple dragon thing, no screw that, that's not Ridley that's just a hologram, Ridley's in the godamn background that whole space is just his eye he's so godamn big

I NEVER SAID IF IT WAS RIGHT OR NOT.
THAT WAS HIS REASONING.
AND IT WAS STRONG EVIDENCE THAT ICIES WOULD NOT GET OVERHAULED JUST TO GET IN AS DLC.

Edit:

So let me get the situation straight on the veterans (overlooking how likely they are unless their likeliness keeps them from being liked).
We want :wolf: back because... he was a unique veteran?
We want :popo: and :snake: because we want the face of stealth games, back and because... The Ice Climbers were unique veterans? But we don't speak of them much because difficulties that everyone is trying to drill into everyone's head that there is a 100% chance that they will keep them out of the game.
We don't want :ivysaur: and :squirtle: because "reps", and popularity.
We don't want :younglinkmelee: because we have :4tlink:, and people get the wrong idea that they are the same thing.
We don't want :pichumelee: even though he has the most potential to be unique because he was a joke character as well as a clone in Melee.

Honestly I don't find Ridley all that menacing looking. (Even less now that I know he sounds like a bird in two of his appearances. A very annoying bird.)
More like...

:wolf: is a big name quasi-clone just like :lucas: who should get the same treatment.

:popo::icsmelee: are one of the single most unique fighters in Smash and were planned to be in the game but got lost in technical issues.

:snake: is a BIG NAME third party with a unique moveset entirely cut.

:squirtle:&:ivysaur: were less popular and less fluid fighters in comparison to :charizard: and feel overshadowed by :4mewtwo: for populariity, demand, and uniqueness who likely won't get in because of a limited number of DLC going to be coming and a series getting multiple characters other than the slim odds of K. Rool & Dixie are minimal.

:younglinkmelee: is seen as replaced by :toonlink: by a majority of the Smash fanbase, the main market for the character. He just isn't popular or requested on par of ANY other veteran.

:pichumelee: was put in as a joke because he was meant to be a bad character. In the part of DLC that being "fanservice," his odds are very slim due to raw lack of support. Plus... the same issues of Ivy & Squirtle.

Not to mention, by words of Sakurai, Melee veterans are more of a challenge to remake for Smash 4 than people think because their data is too old to directly go off of, and instead would be a "template" as they're programmed from the ground up. Pichu and Yink not being planned for Brawl only diminishes their visible chance.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No Metroid character bigger than Ridley is getting in either.

Sakurai's point was that resizing Ridley compromises the character. It doesn't matter if we agree with that or not, it's not going to change the outcome we've wound up with.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Sakurai didn't put Ridley in because it'd compromise his menacing character.
That's bull and you know it.

I NEVER SAID IF IT WAS RIGHT OR NOT.
THAT WAS HIS REASONING.
AND IT WAS STRONG EVIDENCE THAT ICIES WOULD NOT GET OVERHAULED JUST TO GET IN AS DLC.
CAPPPPPPPPPS LOOOOOOOOOOOCK GEEETTTTS PPPOTINS ACROSSSSSSSS

No Metroid character bigger than Ridley is getting in either.

Sakurai's point was that resizing Ridley compromises the character. It doesn't matter if we agree with that or not, it's not going to change the outcome we've wound up with.
Throw enough money at something and things change rather quickly

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Mii's should be allowed online. I mainly only play online so I feel like I am missing out on three characters.

I wonder if more people would buy costumes for Mii's if the characters had access to online fighting.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
No man I'll just talk about how unfairly it is Ridley isn't playable all day unfair man you have to be so bloody bitter in the butt I have to say about Ridley Situation damn dude I just played it for year and a half damn Mashed Potato Sack of Rye man he damned over Ridley crazy rowing Dark Pit or did the Playable Roster damn this guy who decided he should be a bloody stage boss I don't like... I cant think of who the damn would think it was a bloody good idea to make him a bloody stage boss all I can think is the guy who thought it was a bloody good idea to make him a bloody stage boss who the damn thought it was a bloody good idea to make him a bloody stage boss!?!

MASAHIRO SAKURAI

I've completely lost my mind at this point that's how dumb it is, here's an anime Pug

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom