• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
My bad.
Didn't see it.
Once again, it's all trying to interpret Sakurai's words.
People are going to twist it into whatever case they believe in.
I still think that characters are currently being worked on, I just think that they are using preliminary ballot results to do so. I think the big takeaway here is to not take any characters chances (mostly Wolf) for granted.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I feel like the possible vets that Sakurai could be working on are :wolf::snake:&:popo: maybe. Small possibility of :ivysaur:&:squirtle:.

:pichumelee:&:younglinkmelee: don't have the strong popularity to back them up

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'd like to see that. Basically, make it beardless adult Isaac.
He's barely aged a day, so without the beard he should look very close to young Isaac.
What no I'd die for that beard that beard is GORGEOUS

Okay here's a thought. What if Ridley was indeed a winner in the ballot along with K Rool?
I'd be happy with that, after the year of teasing follwed by hope crush and pathetic excuse it would be good to see him become playable anyway

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
several more characters
At least I saw this coming from a mile. It's nice to know.
Looks like pre-ballot choices are almost over I guess.
Literally shattered hope for any unpopular character. :(

And you guys are consistently still jabbing at Young Link at the same time, you probably know my mood right now.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Linkle? Why? We already have Impa. She makes more sence as a female playable character in The Legend of Zelda. Not that I think they'll ever make a female Link, because I never really hear girls complaining about having to play as Link.
I have a friend who constantly complains over Link not at least being able to be a girl

Link is stated several times to be an Avatar character but he's still very clearly male, they can't at least go for the ambiguous route?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

And you guys are consistently still jabbing at Young Link at the same time, you probably know my mood right now.
I wouldn't give up hope just yet. But yeah, it does seem less likely now. :(

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Hey, at least Bayonetta is getting a ton of votes! Pretty sure she won't make it for other reasons, but no one says fan service like Bayonetta!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I have very high hopes for King K. Rool now that Sakurai has stated that he is focused on fan-service during this stage.

Our croc has to be near the top of the list.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Hey, at least Bayonetta is getting a ton of votes! Pretty sure she won't make it for other reasons, but no one says fan service like Bayonetta!
It's good to know. Some of my dream votes (mostly third-party characters really) have a shining chance to say the least. Jibanyan, Professor Layton, Shovel Knight (Whom I wanted badly after beating the game), Isaac, Inkling are in a good position now. I'm going to make one last chance chart before I go.

StormC

Smash Hero

What, were you guys expecting 10+ characters? This was always a temporary ad hoc team; Sakurai emphasized over and over how limited DLC will be compared to the final game, but people kept saying things like "there is no limit on DLC this isn't a competition!"

Sorry that something literally never stated or implied isn't coming to fruition?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Unofficial reddit results from a smash DLC survey. This is only a small sample size, and Japanese results are likely a bit different, but this is still interesting to look at.

If we discount third party characters (Banjo, Snake, Bayonetta, and Shovel Knight all have their own issues) and Ice Climbers, the top 5 characters are Isaac, K. Rool, Paper Mario, Wolf, and the Inklings. Japanese results probably push K. Rool and Wolf even higher while pushing a character like Shovel Knight almost to the bottom.

Just something to keep in mind now that most of us are on board with Sakurai likely adding 2-4 more characters via ballot popularity.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
So Shovel Knight, Bayonetta, Snake, and Banjo-Kazooie are our reigning third-party nominees? No Scorpion. That is sad.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'd guess three, but four's a possibility.
2 at a minimum, due to the extra "Mario slots" found during datamining. Sakurai's wording in the article made it seem like we will see more than that. 3-5 seems like a good guess at the moment. (I'm going with 4 on gut feeling at the moment, as it would make 4 preballot and 4 during/post ballot. 6 would be my absolute maximum, but I would be shocked if it went that high.)

Burruni

Smash Hero
So Shovel Knight, Bayonetta, Snake, and Banjo-Kazooie are our reigning third-party nominees? No Scorpion. That is sad.
Ha.
Ha.
No.

It's Snake, Rayman, Shantae.

Bayonetta has little to no hopes due to no legacy and the nature of her character.

Banjo-Kazooie are and will remain Microsoft exclusives.

SHANTAE HAS EVERYTHING SHOVEL KNIGHT DOES AND FAR MORE, INCLUDING A JAPANESE FANBASE AND RELEASES TO THE EAST.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm doing All-Star mode for trophies and I gotta say, I miss the randomized All-Star mode from Melee.

It's better than Brawl with its whole every character with its franchise things so it seem slow

But I kinda starting to dislike the predictable order.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I was just going by the posted pie chart and taking the highest rated. Bomberman would be cool.

StormC

Smash Hero
We only got Ryu because Capcom is cooperative with Smash and Sakurai is a big Street Fighter fan. Putting a third party in Smash isn't as easy as signing a few documents.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
2 at a minimum, due to the extra "Mario slots" found during datamining. Sakurai's wording in the article made it seem like we will see more than that. 3-5 seems like a good guess at the moment. (I'm going with 4 on gut feeling at the moment, as it would make 4 preballot and 4 during/post ballot. 6 would be my absolute maximum, but I would be shocked if it went that high.)
Well he said "Several" and that more than two but not many, so I'll put 4 as the minimum myself

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sakurai said that third party is allowed on the ballot. So I assume there will be one more third party.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I'd be surprised if we didn't get at least get one 3rd party based on the ballot, otherwise the any video-game character rule seems like a pointless rule at this point. Just my view on the matter.

D

Deleted member

Well he said "Several" and that more than two but not many, so I'll put 4 as the minimum myself
Several is not "more than two", it's "more than one".

If anything, this article has me nearly certain we will only see two more DLC characters.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
1) Where did he say this?

2) That means "3rd Parties are an option."
Not "3rd Parties are going to happen."
I was mistaken. Nintendo issued the statement about third-party votes being allowed

Many polls have 3rd party characters very high. I find a third-part character extremely likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom