• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I agree with this.
I'm also a bit sad tho; we have the possibility to vote a unique, fresh and brand new character, that has never been in a Smash bros., but still the majority is voting for veterans like Wolf.
(I'm italiano, so sorry for my bad english)
Most seem to be K. Rool, followed by Wolf. I bet those two are the most likely, and the 3rd (and fourth if we're lucky) will be a toss up of other characters who are receiving a lot of votes, such as the Inkling, Isaac, and whoever is around the top 7.

D

Deleted member

For what it's worth, anybody who sees those pictures and still thinks Banjo wouldn't have been included in Smash if Rare had stayed with Nintendo is nuts (and bolts). :p
Funny enough, as it says in the pic, he was suggested during 64s development process by one of the devs. Reason he wasn't included then is probably the same Diddy wasn't.

Likewise, there was an interview they had with a Rare dev a few years back where he remembers there being a lot of trophies and such in Melee from Rare IP, but were later removed because of tension between the Stampers and Nintendo (and then the imminent buyout).

So, I think that to say the least, without a doubt, Banjo would have at least been in Smash by Brawl had it not been for the Sellout brothers. *shrugs*

But yeah, Banjo is as much Nintendo as Yoshi and Donkey Kong, he was just Rare creative property and was bought by Microsoft (who also wanted to get the DK licence - imagine if THAT had happened...).

Out of all the possible guest characters (including the ones already in imo), there is no more deserving character to be in Smash than Banjo. But that's just my biased PoV.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Funny enough, as it says in the pic, he was suggested during 64s development process by one of the devs. Reason he wasn't included then is probably the same Diddy wasn't.
Unfortunately, he wasn't. The only time he came up as an option during development was in a poll where fans suggested him, for some reason there was a mix-up in this information and people thought it meant that the devs wanted him as a playable character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Unfortunately, he wasn't. The only time he came up as an option during development was in a poll where fans suggested him, for some reason there was a mix-up in this information and people thought it meant that the devs wanted him as a playable character.
Source?

Cause DYK Gaming says otherwise:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You better take down DYKG as a source before Golden comes in and yells at you.

D

Deleted member

You better take down DYKG as a source before Golden comes in and yells at you.

meh
chopperface.png

DYK Gaming got it wrong, the information that they were using is from the fans, not from the developers.

You can get more information about it here.
Fair enough.

I don't feel like reading all that stuff tbh. I'll just take your word for it.

Doesn't matter though. We have no insight at the Smash development process, and he was still an early contender. Just clarify one thing for me though. If it's a poll, was it post-release then? And was it the nips who voted or was it the west? I'm hard pressed to believe they made such a vote in the West when Smash 64 wasn't even considered for a global release till its huge success in Japanland.

Likewise, we can be sure that the chances of the characters being considered for Melee are honestly quite high, at least if we take his word as true:

http://nintendoeverything.com/rare-not-upset-that-nintendo-didnt-request-conker-banjo-in-smash-bros/

“Memory tells me there were almost a boatload of Rare character trophies in Melee at one point, but it never happened.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
How in-depth do you think the responses will be read with each suggestion?

With the sheer volume there's sure to be, they definitely won't be poured over. That being said, so long as they have multiple people reading and cataloging responses at set points, rather than all at once, they might be more significant than we think.

Also, I wonder if the Japanese responses will be considered more than the English ones, since they don't have to be translated.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think volume will obviously be the prime determining factor but when they've narrowed down their selection the responses will start to come into play.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

With the sheer volume there's sure to be, they definitely won't be poured over. That being said, so long as they have multiple people reading and cataloging responses at set points, rather than all at once, they might be more significant than we think.

Also, I wonder if the Japanese responses will be considered more than the English ones, since they don't have to be translated.
Well perhaps NoA will be handling english submissions, and the same for other countries/regions, and then they could send their opinions based on the ballots to the developers. That's probably not the case, but I see it as possible.

Question: Which non starter pokemon would you like to see playable other than Zoroark? My picks are Heracross and Sableye
Hawlucha, Meowth, or perhaps a quadrupedal pokemon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd be surprised if they actually read them all.

I doubt they'll be reading them at all, at least not more than a handful of the most popular ones. And yeah, as always, Japanese results will probably weigh more heavily I'm sure.

Question: Which non starter pokemon would you like to see playable other than Zoroark? My picks are Heracross and Sableye
Like to see?

None

Will probably see?

The most popular Pokemon of the most popular generation by the time Smash 5 releases.

Actually, considering how big the roster's gonna get with DLC, I wonder how many cuts we'll see when that game comes out...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Other than Zoroark, what kind of question is that, I love Zoroark to death.
I'd like to see Hitmontop make it as a playable. Though I personally think it would look awkward as making Ridley playable.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Abomasnow.

Hawlucha (luchador bird), Meowstic (adorable being of mass destruction), Galvantula (quadrupedal lightning striker) or Gardevoir (defensive psychic).

D

Deleted member

Also, not sure if you guys might care, but 4chan's holding a poll to see which character they're gonna unanimously support in the ballots.

AKA flood the ballots with.

Here's your chance to vote for what it's worth:
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/289636451

tfw Banjo vs. Snake
tough pick.

Isaac vs. Inkling
Isaac fans better get in there, Inkling has more votes for this round.

D

Deleted member

*shrugs*

Iunno... I don't even know how OP is gonna do it either. You'd think they'd do a troll flood like Cat Mario or something. I wasn't entirely following it. I saw a thread this morning, and then took a nap, and then realized it was still going.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Refresh my memory? Cause that sounds hilarious. Only TS thing I remember was this funny video that went viral.

I don't remember everything but I believe it was a competition for Taylor Swift's fans, the winner would have Taylor Swift do something for them. This one guy wanted her hair. 4chan took a liking to him. Fun happens afterwards leading her to close the competition

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Meowth is the one true Pokemon I'd consider iconic enough for the spot, aside from the eternal mechanical and linguistical nightmare that would be Eevee.

Also personally I'd want Alakazam if it wasn't for Mewtwo making him a little redundant. I wanna hit people with spoons and be a cool wise old dude who hits like a truck and gets snapped in two like his bones are made of crackers.

D

Deleted member

I don't remember everything but I believe it was a competition for Taylor Swift's fans, the winner would have Taylor Swift do something for them. This one guy wanted her hair. 4chan took a liking to him. Fun happens afterwards leading her to close the competition
Holy ****, that's priceless.

Actually, I remember 4chan doing some funny ****ing raids dealing with celebs. Like that one time they wanted to have Justin Bieber sent to North Korea:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/justin-bieber-to-north-korea

Or that other time with the whole #cut4beiber prank where a bunch of teenage girls buzzed their hair cause they though he had cancer.

****ing priceless.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Holy ****, that's priceless.

Actually, I remember 4chan doing some funny ****ing raids dealing with celebs. Like that one time they wanted to have Justin Bieber sent to North Korea:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/justin-bieber-to-north-korea

Or that other time with the whole #cut4beiber prank where a bunch of teenage girls buzzed their hair cause they though he had cancer.

****ing priceless.
4chan has exposed criminals and spread attention to stop hunger and raise charity funds before, so they aren't all heartless ****wits

D

Deleted member

Warning Received
4chan has exposed criminals and spread attention to stop hunger and raise charity funds before, so they aren't all heartless ****wits
Absolutely, they also played a huge role during the occupy movements and such.

They just get bad rep cause they aren't mainstream, it's anonymous, and you've got a lot of weirdos. Problem with anonymity is that you can't really put a face on it, so the strange tends to stand out more.

Those polls.

Inkling and Isaac
Wolf and Ray
HE and Dee

are all neck to neck.

Just wondering, if anyone's voted, who have you voted for?

Me:
Banjo
Inkling
Wolf
Wonder Red
K.Rool
and HE (since it's gonna be a fluke that dies to K.Rool anyway)

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

Me:
Banjo
Inkling
Wolf
Wonder Red
K.Rool
I have voted for:
Inkling
Chibi Robo
Ray Mk III
Lyn (Even though she isn't happening this time)

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Those polls.

Inkling and Isaac
Wolf and Ray
HE and Dee

are all neck to neck.

Me:
Banjo
Inkling
Wolf
Wonder Red
K.Rool
I voted for:

Isaac
Banjo Kazooie
Ray
Bayonetta
Wonder Red
Quote (I think other was Cooking Mama?)
Chibi Robo
HE (Lanky Kong)

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
Also, not sure if you guys might care, but 4chan's holding a poll to see which character they're gonna unanimously support in the ballots.

AKA flood the ballots with.

Here's your chance to vote for what it's worth:
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/289636451

tfw Banjo vs. Snake
tough pick.

Isaac vs. Inkling
Isaac fans better get in there, Inkling has more votes for this round.
looks like crap to me, some matches don't even make sense, but Dee, ICs, Cpt. Toad, Paper Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom