• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I'm still virtually certain something paradigm-shifting will happen, and then I will laugh in all of your faces.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I'm still virtually certain something paradigm-shifting will happen, and then I will laugh in all of your faces.
Thank you for confirming Fang from Final Fantasy XIII. She's a ****** woman who wrecks stuff. Also, Bahamut. :p

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
As long as it's not Lightning.
But I like Lightning... :sadeyes:

Still, she wouldn't be able to get in since her gunblade might not be okay with Nintendo. Squall Leonhart on the other hand... Y'know, I was wondering what it'd be like if Deadpool was in the game. Considering he makes references to everything and breaks every fourth wall, I think he'd be using/parodying moves like Falcon Kick for his dash attack and stuff.

Anyway, I can't wait for Mallow to get instead of Geno. :p

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Deadpool would be cool because he'd be very easy to censor for an E10+ rating just by having him constantly reference not having guns.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
You guys lost me at Paradigm Shifting.....
Basically, it means something will change since paradigm refers to patterns or models. In FFXIII, paradigm shifting is a tool to go from offense, defense, support, etc. quickly. Outside of that, say that we're assuming that veterans will be the current DLC candidates, but in reality, the plan is for something wacky like Pac-Woman, Rayman, and Globox.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Basically, it means something will change since paradigm refers to patterns or models. In FFXIII, paradigm shifting is a tool to go from offense, defense, support, etc. quickly. Outside of that, say that we're assuming that veterans will be the current DLC candidates, but in reality, the plan is for something wacky like Pac-Woman, Rayman, and Globox.
Thank you for breaking that down for me and not just saying "Get good and google you scrub."

which I did google it...it had some big words in it.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Thank you for breaking that down for me and not just saying "Get good and google you scrub."

which I did google it...it had some big words in it.
It's one of those words being abused by news and stuff to make things sound important and make things incomprehensible to people at times. So, if you're talking about changing the education system, it might be better to explain stuff in layman's terms. I don't like reading official papers... They make me feel like I have to go through law school.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
When did this thread start back up? Such makes me happy.

As for likely DLC?? I read above that the consensus is veterans? Really?? After Sakurai's comment about not wanting to seem like he shafted the game of content in the first place, and Nintendo having such as a general stance on DLC as well?

http://kotaku.com/nintendos-strange-two-year-journey-into-dlc-1641525034

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Yeah, most people here seems to think veterans are likely, as do I. Those guys seem the safest and relatively the least debated choices.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Yeah, most people here seems to think veterans are likely, as do I. Those guys seem the safest and relatively the least debated choices.
Thing is, Mewtwo is easily the top dog when it comes to veterans not already in the game. They were also working on him for brawl but ran out of time. So his inclusion as the first dlc character doesn't say a whole lot about the future of smash bros 4 dlc.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Thing is, Mewtwo is easily the top dog when it comes to veterans not already in the game. They were also working on him for brawl but ran out of time. So his inclusion as the first dlc character doesn't say a whole lot about the future of smash bros 4 dlc.
Mewtwo is by far the most popular, but that doesn't mean that the Ice Climbers, Lucas and Wolf are exactly slouches in terms of popularity and are all far more requested than most characters are for DLC at this point (although I still don't think the Ice Climbers are likely though).

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well, I, on the other hand, am going to continue discussing characters already implemented in the game somehow.
So, there's that.

How feasible would a Ghirahim where he swaps between using magic and throwing diamonds and fast, dual-wielding swordplay if he only changes his physics and a few moves?

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Well what we do know for now is that mewtwo is being used to test the waters to see if they want to continue with dlc. If they determine that dlc is worth it, most people are still betting on veterans I think because they already have passed the test as viable characters, and with working models to go off of should be cheaper and easier to make. Not to mention certainly notable established fan bases.

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Well, I, on the other hand, am going to continue discussing characters already implemented in the game somehow.
So, there's that.

How feasible would a Ghirahim where he swaps between using magic and throwing diamonds and fast, dual-wielding swordplay if he only changes his physics and a few moves?
Pretty feasible. All they would have to do is brush up his model abit and then rework him for being a playable character.

and thats one of my main points for AT DLC characters. Those models already look pretty good so why waste such good looking models on just being ATs?

SuperSmashBattle

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hadi
3DS FC
5301-1494-5751
Seeing this thread makes me want some characters for DLC so badly so here is my top 5 DLC characters:
5.Inkling from Splatoon (he could be kind of like Vaporeon of the super smash land with his special and recovery having a few changes maybe alternate through weapons for different attacks)
4.Lucas From Mother 3 (HAVE HIM RETURN FROM BRAWL PLZ, in all seriousness i really want him back as he was pretty solid and overall has a much better personality than Ness oh and OP smash attacks)
3.Roy from Fire Emblem (Roy's my boy, he was solid and good pick for Melee and was my main for Project M, and yes some might argue that he was a promotion or that there is too much fire emblem characters now but still he was the original so he gets my seal of approval)
2.Mike Jones from Star Tropics (Now some would go like who while others go like he will be a Ness clone, HE WILL NOT because he only used magic in one game while the yo-yo in the other and he only used the Bat in 2 dungeons so he is not a clone, his moves could be mixed like spiked shoes for the aerials the magic can be his specials but his recovery is the flying anklet and his tilts, jabs, and smash attacks could all use the yo-yos. Final Smash: The snowman doll which freezes people in place
1.YOU DECIDE (because i cant think of anyone who is worthy to take the spot)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Seeing this thread makes me want some characters for DLC so badly so here is my top 5 DLC characters:
5.Inkling from Splatoon (he could be kind of like Vaporeon of the super smash land with his special and recovery having a few changes maybe alternate through weapons for different attacks)
4.Lucas From Mother 3 (HAVE HIM RETURN FROM BRAWL PLZ, in all seriousness i really want him back as he was pretty solid and overall has a much better personality than Ness oh and OP smash attacks)
3.Roy from Fire Emblem (Roy's my boy, he was solid and good pick for Melee and was my main for Project M, and yes some might argue that he was a promotion or that there is too much fire emblem characters now but still he was the original so he gets my seal of approval)
2.Mike Jones from Star Tropics (Now some would go like who while others go like he will be a Ness clone, HE WILL NOT because he only used magic in one game while the yo-yo in the other and he only used the Bat in 2 dungeons so he is not a clone, his moves could be mixed like spiked shoes for the aerials the magic can be his specials but his recovery is the flying anklet and his tilts, jabs, and smash attacks could all use the yo-yos. Final Smash: The snowman doll which freezes people in place
Ghirahim. Anyone else is wrong. :awesome:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Who truly is worthy of taking the number one spot on your mighty list? hmmm...this is a heavy question

me personally it will always go to Lyndis but for you my friend must look deep inside yourself to find your #1 guy or girl or animal.

SuperSmashBattle

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hadi
3DS FC
5301-1494-5751
Who truly is worthy of taking the number one spot on your mighty list? hmmm...this is a heavy question

me personally it will always go to Lyndis but for you my friend must look deep inside yourself to find your #1 guy or girl or animal.
so someone is appealed by this well 1# was duck hunt but he is in so i didnt have a backup
also melee christmas and happy U year

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Hmm, last choice probably King K Rool or Krystal.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
I would love to choose the #1 of your opinionated list which would be Black Shadow.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I legitimately feel the Smash community blows veteran chances far too highly, when Sakurai (and Nintendo as a whole) have avidly claimed they want DLC to feel like fresh material, and not withheld content. Veterans are the epitome of feeling like "withheld content." The claim that veterans are a safe pick is not even substantiated- there is no proof to say fans would want a veteran to return more than a newcomer enter. If anything, particularly to the casual player, Id say the seemingly similar play styles of Wolf and Lucas would actually detract people from feeling they are necessary to purchase,

Additionally, Lucas seems to be one of the lowest on my veteran list. His own creator said his series is complete, and Sakurai has gone on record to state he is not very prioritized in concern with representing series' without a foreseeable future.

All that said, if more veterans get in (which of course, I don't think is unquestionable, just not the priority compared to new characters) I would list the order:
:popo:,:wolf:,:pt:or:ivysaur:/:squirtle:
Depending on how reworked Mewtwo is, I think the possibility of a reworked PT really could happen, particularly since he ushered in the avatar character we see everywhere now in Smash (Robin, Villager, WFT). If not him, I'd say the duo of Squirtle and Ivysaur.

Ice Climbers is there because I legitimately think we have not been given enough data to know how much effort they were able to put into making them work in the game in the first go 'round. With more time to work on them, the technical difficulties may have resolved themselves in coding, particularly since Sakurai believed it could be done after his initial interview when he expressed they were still being worked on.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I legitimately feel the Smash community blows veteran chances far too highly, when Sakurai (and Nintendo as a whole) have avidly claimed they want DLC to feel like fresh material, and not withheld content. Veterans are the epitome of feeling like "withheld content." The claim that veterans are a safe pick is not even substantiated- there is no proof to say fans would want a veteran to return mores than a newcomer. If anything, particularly to the casual player, Id say the seemingly similar play styles of Wolf and Lucas would actually detract people from feeling they are necessary to purchase,
I suppose in that light, Lucas is truly done for. However, I still believe Wolf will be in the game eventually. However, it might be better to make him available after all the other new characters, in order to possibly escape the withheld content feel. Or make it worse.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I legitimately feel the Smash community blows veteran chances far too highly, when Sakurai (and Nintendo as a whole) have avidly claimed they want DLC to feel like fresh material, and not withheld content. Veterans are the epitome of feeling like "withheld content." The claim that veterans are a safe pick is not even substantiated- there is no proof to say fans would want a veteran to return mores than a newcomer. If anything, particularly to the casual player, Id say the seemingly similar play styles of Wolf and Lucas would actually detract people from feeling they are necessary to purchase,

Additionally, Lucas seems to be one of the lowest on my veteran list. His own creator said his series is complete, and Sakurai has gone on record to state he is not very prioritized in concern with representing series' without a foreseeable future.

All that said, if more veterans get in (which of course, I don't think is unquestionable, just not the priority compared to new characters) I would list the order:
:popo:,:wolf:,:pt:or:ivysaur:/:squirtle:
Depending on how reworked Mewtwo is, I think the possibility of a reworked PT really could happen, particularly since he ushered in the avatar character we see everywhere now in Smash (Robin, Villager, WFT). If not him, I'd say the duo of Squirtle and Ivysaur.

Ice Climbers is there because I legitimately think we have not been given enough data to know how much effort they were able to put into making them work in the game in the first go 'round. With more time to work on them, the technical difficulties may have resolved themselves in coding, particularly since Sakurai believed it could be done after his initial interview when he expressed they were still being worked on.
I had a different feeling before, I thought veterans were more likely. But I've basically come to this conclusion as well. I still think veteran DLC is possible, but I don't think its nearly as likely anymore, especially when considering that Lucas and Wolf do resemble Ness and Fox/Falco, respectively. They're more different from their originals than Fox is from Falco, for example, but they still too closely resemble Lucas and Wolf.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Well, that's somebody at least.

My veteran likelihood list:

:popo:(:pt:/:squirtle:/:ivysaur:):wolf::lucas::snake:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Ice Climber(s) seems solid DLC (probably the highest after Mewtwo for veterans as we have evidence Samurai tried to put them in the game anyway), with the single being the assumption they can't get both working, in which case you could replace the up special, make the Fair a meteor smash, add a Nana alt and call it a day. Obviously not the best solution but in my opinion better than nothing.

I really hope DLC becomes a thing - I am expecting Mewtwo to get a very positive reaction unless they price extortionately high for people who dont own both so if it is indeed them testing the water then I have high hopes.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'd not be surprised if it did, but it's one thing to expect "something big" and another to know what, specifically, to expect.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I mean specifically on the subject of assist trophies. Waluigi, Takamaru, Ghirahim, Ashley - take your pick. One of them is going to be confirmed for DLC, and then I'm going to either buy Waluigi or get all up in his thread.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I mean specifically on the subject of assist trophies. Waluigi, Takamaru, Ghirahim, Ashley - take your pick. One of them is going to be confirmed for DLC, and then I'm going to either buy Waluigi or get all up in his thread.
Vaati. Don't be so sure of yourself that one of them will become playable.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Vaati. Don't be so sure of yourself that one of them will become playable.
I never understood Ghirahim's strong support, and until he is has proven to be a more necessary character in the Zelda lore, I will not see him as anything other than a fun drag queen people beckon for without strong enough backing from his own series.

Vaati I used to be more sure on, not sure he would get in, but sure he was vital to the universe.
Now, I'm starting to question that as well. I enjoy him heavily, and second most recurring villain is no laughing matter- but if it's still just recurring within a small segment of games released in relation to each other, and not recurring throughout the Zelda timeline (or offering something of significant merit else wise), I'm not sure he has as much gravitas as he may need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom