• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
This argument is annoying people, so I'm not gonna bother responding after this, but telling someone not to be aggressive in the same statement you call them illiterate isn't really solid etiquette
Aggressiveness is fine in an escalated conflict, not as an opening statement. When you aggressively introduce your opinion, you are creating conflict. Which is what you did. You can't expect to open aggressively and not receive an aggressive response.

Generally I don't care if people are annoyed by an argument. If you're that concerned about annoying people with back-and-forth, don't start any.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice

Maxwell is just a placeholder for a third party character. Anymore suggestions?
If you don't have a character in mind, there's no need for a placeholder.

Also Fiora, Tharja, whoever is next to Tharja, and the bravely default protag (don't know her name), plus the "3rd party placeholder" above Isaac, Bandana Dee, and K. Rool is funny. And I don't even think those three are as likely for DLC as others do, but they're a lot more likely than the characters you've chosen.

I'd also reckon that Bayonetta's time for inclusion or DLC promotion has come and will shortly be gone.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
So project STEAM's entire roster is currently unusable correct?

Burruni

Smash Hero
So project STEAM's entire roster is currently unusable correct?
Not really.
They're all Nintendo interpretations of real and fictional character except for the bland protagonist.
Nothing really stops Tom Sawyer or Lion from being in.
Lincoln already got his own title card during the Mii Fighters bit at E3.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Not really.
They're all Nintendo interpretations of real and fictional character except for the bland protagonist.
Nothing really stops Tom Sawyer or Lion from being in.
Lincoln already got his own title card during the Mii Fighters bit at E3.
But Lion, Tiger Lily, Lincoln, and Tom Sawyer are all either real people or from other non-video game media.

The top row two rows are the people I think are most likely, with the bottom row being a lot less. I may be missing a few.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Oooh, ooh, my turn!

3DS Roster with potential DLC.png

I have 15 potential DLC characters in three columns (not rows).

- Column one is the most likely DLC characters (one is already confirmed).
- Column two is five potential promoted Assist Trophies, in order of want/uniqueness.
- Column three is my most wanted DLC characters not already in the game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's a fictional depiction of Lincoln, a person who has been dead for over 100 years, that is exclusive to Codename S.T.E.A.M.

Mark Twain, L. Frank Baum, and J. M. Barrie have also been dead for over 100 years, meaning their works are public domain. The depictions of Tom Sawyer, Lion, and Tiger Lily, while based off the original characters from the novels they come from, are Nintendo's own versions of them exclusive to Codename S.T.E.A.M.

They can show up in Smash. Dr. Kawashima is a fictional depiction of living real-world person Ryuta Kawashima, but it didn't prevent him from appearing as an Assist.

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
The protagonist is Henry Fleming from The Red Badge of Courage.

Last edited:

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
I guess I should also point out that while Barrie's Peter Pan should be in the public domain, it has copyright and trademark status in both the US and the UK. Nintendo has to gain licensing rights from two organizations for the use of Tiger Lily.

Also, being 100 years dead does not make one's body of works public domain. Anything published before 1923 is public domain (with notable exceptions) and anything published before the change of copyright laws in 1961 (or was it 1963?) must be thoroughly researched for improper copyright citation before being declared public domain.

D

Deleted member

Technically, they don't in regards to the UK.
In the UK, the Great Ormond Street Hospital is entitled to royalties for any performance, publication, or adaptation of the original play (I just learned that it was originally a play), but is not granted creative control over use of the material or the right to refuse permission to use it.
In the US, different story.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
- Column two is five potential promoted Assist Trophies, in order of waifuness
How I read it at first

Wow. So that means there is not a single original character so far.
I reeeeealllly like what they're doing honestly. It just means none of this stuff will probably be in Smash 5. I suppose the villains would work, or perhaps the weapons.

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yeah, that's why Midna is above Ghirahim, obviously. :p
I like Midna more than Ghirahim too, but Skull Kid and Tingle more than the both of them, and Impa less than all four of them. Sad that she seems to be one of the only LoZ choices left at this point.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I like Midna more than Ghirahim too, but Skull Kid and Tingle more than the both of them, and Impa less than all four of them. Sad that she seems to be one of the only LoZ choices left at this point.
Unless Midna and Wolf Link does not count as Midna...
Or, more likely, Midna could simply be...not just a trophy.

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
I would assume Tetra and Ganon (pig demon) would have priority over side characters, and of the side characters Tingle has starred in three games and could theoretically represent his own franchise. After those three (and possibly Young Link), the flavor-of-the-year villains and side characters probably take priority (in this case Fi, Impa, and Ghirahim). Characters which reappeared for Hyrule Warriors probably have a higher standing than others, as they've now been elevated to representing their respective titles in a mascot type game. Hyrule Warriors' original characters probably carry equal weight with the flavor-of-the-year characters.

Legend of Zelda Tier List:

TIER ONE:

Tetra (Wind Waker HD)
Demon Ganon (Franchise Relevance)
Young Link (Veteran)

TIER TWO:

Impa
TIngle

TIER THREE:

Fi
Ghirahim
Lana

TIER FOUR:

Darunia
Ruto
Midna
Zant
Volga
Wizzro
Cia
Agitha
Whoever Shows Up as DLC

TIER FIVE:

Alfonzo

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
Vaati's neat, but I think he's a little off the radar at this point.

Maybe if future HW DLC gets a little more creative.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd totally be down for Ganon and Toon Zelda.

My man :4tlink: is a tad lonely.

D

Deleted member

I reeeeealllly like what they're doing honestly. It just means none of this stuff will probably be in Smash 5. I suppose the villains would work, or perhaps the weapons.
To be fair, we have a fictional depiction of a living real-world person featured as an Assist.
Not really expecting a character in the hypothetical game(s) after this, but I don't think being based off existing characters of older literature or being a fictional depiction of a dead real-world person from the 1800s would really matter.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
If Nintendo's interpretations of existing rl and fictional characters couldn't be included in Smash we wouldn't have Kawashima, like was said, or Medusa...

Obv the STEAM characters could be included.

Project Steam DLC for Super Smash Bros isn't a bad idea at all, but if we got it, who would be the playable character?
Fleming... he's the protagonist...

D

Deleted member

I say forget Flemming and go with Lincoln.

One of Sakurai's criteria for characters is that they have to make people want to buy the game.
How many people do you suppose would go out of their way to buy Smash just so they can kick Mario's/Donkey Kong's/Pac-Man's/whoever's ass as Honest Abe?
Yes, technically you already can through the Miis, but can the Miis use steam guns and choke slams? (Lincoln pretty much invented the choke slam; look it up) I don't think so.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't really like any of them as playable material, but I would go with Lincoln or Lion. Flemming is meh and 90% of female characters aren't major enough to be the first character from their franchise.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
Until the first character included from a series isn't the MC or mascot, I wouldn't hold out hope for anyone other than Fleming, funny as Lincoln might be.

Especially since it's not like an American is creating the roster.

Even if he's not playable, just getting Lincoln in Smash in any role would be hilarious.
"Oh yeah I just unlocked the trophies of Waluigi, Snorlax, and Abraham Lincoln! Cool!" :laugh:

D

Deleted member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Fleming just one of numerous characters you can select for your squad that isn't any more important than the others?

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Fleming just one of numerous characters you can select for your squad that isn't any more important than the others?
Importance gameplay wise perhaps not (he is the captain of the team though), but importance attention and marketing-wise he does seem to be the mc.

We really don't know a heck of a lot yet, but of what we've seen so far he has gotten the most spotlight.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'm not putting much stock on Fleming or the Inkling for that matter.
If more DLC happens, I imagine it will mostly be comprised of veterans with one or two super popular new characters that will get a lot of fan love (K. Rool / Dixie / Isaac / etc.).

Very much doubting any retro Nintendo icons too, unless they've got an absurdly large fan following (And as far as I can tell Takamaru is the closest one to fit that description, and he's got no chance in his current position).

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
If more DLC happens, I imagine it will mostly be comprised of veterans with one or two super popular new characters that will get a lot of fan love (K. Rool / Dixie / Isaac / etc.).
Me neither. I think people are unwisely assuming that just because it's DLC they'll start including original characters from unproven series simply to promote them when there's no precedent of that.

Though Fleming and Inkling would both be cool and fun and unique.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think it was all early Smash 5 banter at best, I don't think anyone seriously thinks those characters have a chance now. ]

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
This is pretty much how I feel right now about dlc. The decision to move forward and give us mewtwo was made recently I think, otherwise why not have a full trailer ready to hype us up? So I think they are going to wait and see how the game does, and if it will be worth it to make more dlc (profit margin, diverting resources, time and talents from other projects etc..). So once this is determined I would think the earliest we will see a new dlc pack would be June, and more likely August-September 2015, which in terms of a typical smash game life span is not that far out I guess. But even so I think the most content from dlc we can reasonably hope for is 4 more characters, corresponding stages, and some items, pokeballs, ats etc..

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
On one end I feel like Splatoon is far more likely than Codename Steam to get a dlc character because of it's popularity.

On the other hand Codename Steam does release before Splatoon, so if they're taking a wait and see approach to dlc then Codename Steam will have more time to get in during the dlc creation window.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
On one end I feel like Splatoon is far more likely than Codename Steam to get a dlc character because of it's popularity.

On the other hand Codename Steam does release before Splatoon, so if they're taking a wait and see approach to dlc then Codename Steam will have more time to get in during the dlc creation window.
I honestly don't believe either of them have much of a chance of being DLC because both are brand new things. I think they might get trophies, but DLC? The issue, again, is that statement by Sakurai, and his past history with existing characters. "Franchises with little chance of a future aren't likely to be considered." Then there's his thing with characters in the past where he was worried if said characters might not appear very often, most notably the fact that he was worried about adding Ganondorf because he wasn't sure if Ganondorf would return to Zelda in the future (which obviously did happen).

The thing is, both Splatoon and Codename STEAM are complete unknowns. Since they are unknowns, it will be very difficult for them to really know how well they'll hit it off, and by the time they do know that, its a bit late to be considered additional Smash DLC. In future DLC packs they might add trophies or AT's from those franchises, but I don't think they'll end up as playable characters in future DLC packs (I don't anticipate more than 4, 6 at max DLC characters, and I don't anticipate it going more than a year either).

But, well, there's always a chance, I'm not ruling out the possibility. I just think that, based on what we know, Sakurai would rather pick characters from known established franchises, especially ones that may be getting new games in the future (Golden Sun) or coming back to their respective franchises in upcoming unnannounced games (King K. Rool) than brand new franchises being released after Smash is already out.

If Smash DLC does go for up to two years and Splatoon/Codename STEAM are successful enough that Nintendo plans to make additional future games, I guess its possible they could be added, but I definitely don't think they'd be the first picks in any way. The first picks were likely already decided upon before Smash Wii U was even released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom