• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Wait what the **** happened. Did the game just get leaked or something?

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
At this point, I expect either stage builder or a 3-5 character reveal to coincide with WiiU launch date. Otherwise, I would be disappointed in the amount of content, especially given Namco's horsepower (even though he made two games).

Crescendo

Smash Journeyman
So this pretty much sums how I feel about the Newcomers.

:4littlemac::4megaman::4sonic::058: 5/5 Hype level over 100% (Definite mains)
:4pacman::bowser: 4/5 Hype level: 76%-100%
:4robinf::4shulk::4wiifit::rosalina:3/5 Hype level: 51%-75%
:4palutena::4mii:2/5 Hype level: 26%-50%
:4greninja::4villager:1/5 Hype level: 1%-25%
:drmario::pit::4lucina: 0/5 Hype level: 0% (not because they're last minute clones, but because they could have easily fit a COLOR swap slot, something which at least two out of these three have achieved in previous SSB titles. (Dark Pit = Brawl, Doc = P:M)
:4megaman::4littlemac::4robinm::4villager: are easily my favorite newcomers and I'll give all of them a try, regardless if one of them become my main or not.
:4pacman::4greninja::4shulk::4mii: and Duck Hunt look pretty cool.
:4palutena::rosalina::4wiifit: and Bowser Jr. have interesting stuff behind them but I'm not a big fan of their characters.

The clones... well, they are clones. They're there to pad out the roster. I don't really care about them. At best, Dark Pit will be my dedicated punchbag and that's it.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Oh my, so i had to go to sleep, and then to college, and i missed everything.
Hope people are not getting mad about the roster :shades:

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Oooh, but they are. I was kinda mad at first, but then I remembered all the amazing newcomers we got and I'm not mad anymore. Slightly disappointed that many of my most wanted characters didn't make it, at least for now, but I'm happy with (most of) the roster.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
i love ratin' newcomers in games like this:
5/5::4megaman::4littlemac::4shulk:(Bowser Jr.)
4/5::4greninja::4mii::4pacman:(duck hunt)
3/5::rosalina::4villager::4wiifit:(Dark pit)
2/5:4palutena::4lucina::rosalina:
1/5:4robinm:

Last edited:

Mr.X98

Smash Journeyman
You late brah. My Uncle Dad streamed everything. Those 5 empty slots mean nothing... for now... Just Check the previous post to see the viewpoint on the game right now.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So is this thread going to be locked?
There isn't much to talk about now.

Unless we aren't making a potential DLC character thread?
Potential DLC Character Thread will happen... if DLC is confirmed. Otherwise, after the Japanese release the entire speculation subforum will be shut down (except the character forums themselves, I believe).

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
What the heck's up with no Assist Trophy Isaac?
I don't know what to think anymore, but I'm cautiously optimistic about DLC.

I always figured at least TWO ATs would be promoted to playable character. Little Mac was a no brainer, but I was really sure Saki OR Isaac could be the 2nd one.
Turns out Saki was deconfirmed a long time ago so only Isaac remains.

Are we seriously ONLY having :4littlemac:promoted to PC status? Otherwise, I can't truly believe that the rest of the ATs "NEARLY" made it as playable characters.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Apart from the 3 clones, the roster is full of diversity.

What irks me is the loss of the Brawl vets.

However, keep in mind that this game will still be insanely good and that we'll all move on from this.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I always figured at least TWO ATs would be promoted to playable character. Little Mac was a no brainer, but I was really sure Saki OR Isaac could be the 2nd one.

Are we seriously ONLY having :4littlemac:promoted to PC status? Otherwise, I can't truly believe that the rest of the ATs "NEARLY" made it as playable characters.
Isaac, Ray Mk II and Jill are, apparently, the only MIA Assist Trophies. I can logically see Jill potentially being dropped for whatever reason, even though she has no reason to be dropped, due to her obscure one-off game. Ray Mk II and Isaac, though? The only reason I can see them being dropped is if Sakurai wants to leave them open for potential DLC.

Mr.X98

Smash Journeyman

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I am cautiously hoping for promoted ATs to not be exclusively cross-generation.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I believe in DLC for the reason that it seems that it's Nintendo's new thing.

I have a feeling our lovable vets will see the light of day again, but I'll take some salt with my optimism.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
5/5 :4littlemac: :4shulk: :4megaman: bowser jr
4/5 :4robinm: :4greninja: :rosalina: duck hunt dog
3/5 :4palutena: :4pacman: :4villager: :4mii:
2/5 :4wiifit:
1/5 Dr Mario
0/5 :4lucina: dark pit

To be fair, Robin and Lucina would be higher but the Chrom salt is real. Also, Shulk looked amazing even though I know very little about him I am super interested. Also, I wanted to show Dr Mario dissatisfaction but point out that I still think it could have been worse.

Last edited:

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one still salty that almost none of the returning franchises got any love?
I'm still glad dr. Mario is back, but at what cost?
All I can do is hope that dlc will heal the wounds, and that NoA is allowed to help with roster decisions for smash 5...

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Duck Hunt Dog, Mega Man(wish it were X, but eh), Bowser Jr.(Koopa Kids is who I'll be), and Little Mac are exciting for me. Man, does this mean that I'm really old?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Half of the moveset of Bowser Jr is similar to how I imagined Jill & Drill Dozer. Too bad that the roster is what it is.

Gameplay wise it looks fun and balanced (at least, looks), it will surely be an imporvement to Brawl. Some moves, like rolling/dodging, are faster now, looks like the fights will be more intense. I'm a bit concerned about the Mario lame combo, that combo that was able to kill Megaman from 0% in a video.

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace
fans of the big three do not lose hope because yknow, dlc
what if they made a "which characters do you want as dlc" poll thing

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Let's just wait until officially Sakurai says the reasoning. I don't think that reasoning works.
I don't believe every word Sakurai says when it comes to public relations.. It is no different than anyone else talking to the press, the audience must learn to interpret.

I do not expect Sakurai to diminish the addition of his slated reasoning for Dr Mario by claiming that he was added for the two reasons I mentioned- that would be downplaying him. The sensible thing to do WOULD be to up play him, and to exclaim his importance.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
My views on the newcomers:

- Villager - I had a feeling someone from the Animal Crossing franchise would make it in, but I had no idea who it was. But overall, I do like his ideal move set.

- Megaman - One of the characters that was on my request list. Very glad he made it in.

- Wii Fit Trainer - An out of the blue choice. But other than that, I'm impressed that Sakurai and his team were able to come up with the ideal move set.

- Rosalina - I had a feeling she would make it in since she is gaining popularity due to her debut within Super Mario Galaxy.

- Little Mac - Happy to see that the once Assist Trophy in Brawl is promoted to playable status.

- Greninja - A surprise choice but nonetheless, very happy he made it in (since Froakie was my starter in X/Y)

- Palutena - Another one of my favourite characters made it in. Overall, very satisfied with her moveset.

- Pac-Man - It was in between Pac Man or Lloyd Irving as contenders for Namco's representation. Although in the end, I was not too surprised when Pac Man was the chosen rep.

- Lucina - It was a pretty tough call, as I knew someone from Awakening will be in Smash Wii U/3DS. Would've liked a more unique move set, but I'm still glad she made it in.

- Robin - Again, I would say just like Lucina, it was a tough call to pick someone to represent Awakening. I do feel that he/she does have an interesting moveset.

- Shulk - Another one of my faves made it in. Few months ago, I had no clue about the Xenoblade series until I decided to pick the game up and try out the game (which I am still enjoying at the moment.) Other than that, Shulk is pretty much the choice I would've chose to be in Smash Wii U/3DS.

- Bowser Jr - Certainly did not expect another Mario rep. But again, just like Wii Fit Trainer, I do love how Sakurai and the team implemented the Koopa Clown vehicle as part of his moveset. Very creative.

- Duck Hunt - Like Wii Fit Trainer, another out of the blue character and yet again, I just loved how Sakurai came up with ideal move sets for him to work in Smash.

- Dark Pit - Did not really expect another Kid Icarus character to be playable. Again like Lucina, even though I wished he would have a unique move set, I'm still satisfied with his inclusion.

Flubber

Smash Rookie
Well, the mind won but a little boy inside of me is sitting in a corner catatonicly. Oh well, maybe they will do DLC...

But for the moment, I'm still very happy with the roster. Let's see...

1: Dark :4pit:
2: :4greninja:, :4villager:, Dr. :4mario:
3: :4littlemac:, :4palutena:,:4lucina:,:4mii:
4: :rosalina:, :4wiifit:, :4pacman:, :083::058: (DHD)
5: :4megaman:, :4robinm::4robinf:, :4bowser:Jr.
5+: :4shulk:

May change over time...
But in all honesty, I'm nearly as much hyped for all the changes of the veteran's as I am for the newcomers in general.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
fans of the big three do not lose hope because yknow, dlc
what if they made a "which characters do you want as dlc" poll thing
I don't want to raise my hopes, but at the same time, lack of any trophies so far of the Big 3 really bugs me. Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Wolf were spotted VERY quickly. The Big 3 had trophies in Brawl, why haven't they shown up yet? Same with Isaac. They should just be random trophies, but in all previous demos and in the livestreams, they haven't appeared anywhere.

Mr.X98

Smash Journeyman
- Villager - I had a feeling someone from the Animal Crossing franchise would make it in, but I had no idea who it was. But overall, I do like his ideal move set.

- Megaman - One of the characters that was on my request list. Very glad he made it in.

- Wii Fit Trainer - An out of the blue choice. But other than that, I'm impressed that Sakurai and his team were able to come up with the ideal move set.

- Rosalina - I had a feeling she would make it in since she is gaining popularity due to her debut within Super Mario Galaxy.

- Little Mac - Happy to see that the once Assist Trophy in Brawl is promoted to playable status.

- Greninja - A surprise choice but nonetheless, very happy he made it in (since Froakie was my starter in X/Y)

- Palutena - Another one of my favourite characters made it in. Overall, very satisfied with her moveset.

- Pac-Man - It was in between Pac Man or Lloyd Irving as contenders for Namco's representation. Although in the end, I was not too surprised when Pac Man was the chosen rep.

- Lucina - It was a pretty tough call, as I knew someone from Awakening will be in Smash Wii U/3DS. Would've liked a more unique move set, but I'm still glad she made it in.

- Robin - Again, I would say just like Lucina, it was a tough call to pick someone to represent Awakening. I do feel that he/she does have an interesting moveset.

- Shulk - Another one of my faves made it in. Few months ago, I had no clue about the Xenoblade series until I decided to pick the game up and try out the game (which I am still enjoying at the moment.) Other than that, Shulk is pretty much the choice I would've chose to be in Smash Wii U/3DS.

- Bowser Jr - Certainly did not expect another Mario rep. But again, just like Wii Fit Trainer, I do love how Sakurai and the team implemented the Koopa Clown vehicle as part of his moveset. Very creative.

- Duck Hunt - Like Wii Fit Trainer, another out of the blue character and yet again, I just loved how Sakurai came up with ideal move sets for him to work in Smash.

- Dark Pit - Did not really expect another Kid Icarus character to be playable. Again like Lucina, even though I wished he would have a unique move set, I'm still satisfied with his inclusion.
What about the Doc?

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well I came home to disappointment and frustration after a long day. I had the sinking feeling this morning that all my hope had been in vein for the big three and that everything made sense for their inclusions, but nope it was really all for nothing. Now I'm just apathetic as **** towards the game. Like I'm going to play it and probably love it, but good god my hype for Smash just absolutely crashed and burned. I wanted one damn character I didn't know about at least, someone else who was notable from a underrepresented franchise or a non-represented franchise really. And in the end hope got me nowhere, and I really just don't look forward to the game nearly as much anymore. I'm not calling to have Sakurai removed next game or anything like that, but I'm very far from happy. Smash 4 was the thing I was easily the most optimistic about in really anything right now, and I've been crushed by it in the end, so I'm more than a little upset with the way everything went down (I'm looking at you Ridley) and the lack of some notable characters. Disappointment in the fact only 3 characters I wanted got in, and two of those were the third party characters!

No Issac, Ridley, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, Ghirahim, Bandanna Dee, Dixie Kong, Mach Rider, Impa, Takumaru, Waluigi Chibi-Robo. The list goes on and on of characters who could have easily been in and been unique and deserving characters, and the likes of Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Snake are all cut. It's disappointing as hell, it really is. Again I'll get over it, and probably love the game, but I should have figured it would end up this way after everything people said about Brawl being disappointing (And seriously Brawl had GREAT additions too). Move sets seem to have prevailed, and I appreciate that, but not when a lot of fan favorites could have been unique in move set and awesome too, pleasing fans in the process.

Well that's that I guess, my rant is over and I will not certainly be the last to comment on how disappointed I am. It's a great roster in some aspects, but in the end it never got that push that I always felt it needed to actually be that new and exciting. I like the newcomers, but of all the characters to include, several of them feel like they should not be here before other big name characters.

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace
im pretty sure theyre still developing some characters for dlc imo... the roster layout in the 3ds version looks too weird

Peterawr

Smash Cadet
I see characters being released as DLC with the Wii U version
They need a way to keep the hype up so that people will still remember that it exists
AND get a way to get people to buy it who already own the 3DS version.

Adding DLC characters will hype people up for the Wii U version, and get people to buy it even if they've bought the 3DS version (assuming you need to have the Wii U version to get the DLC).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom