• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

But Dark Pit is just Pit with a dye job and some angst.
There's that word again....
If you understood what angst is, you wouldn't use it to describe Pittoo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Niala

Smash Ace
me I don't ask or beg for characters I take whatever comes it is like going with the flow im always excited to see a new character announced for the game although this is the 1st time I have worry so bad about a character that I have lost sleep
I like to think I have this mentality as well, as there haven't been any characters I so strongly dislike so far for Smash4 that I've felt cheated. But I know myself well enough to not say that I'm fully impartial.

There's that word again....
That word seems to cause you a lot of... apprehension. :awesome:

Espio264

Smash Ace
Because "angst" does not describe Pittoo.

Do you know what angst is?
I know what angst is, but as I stated in my original post, I'm not versed in Dark Pit.

I'm just using poetic/(just being an ass) stereotyping to assert that a "dark" pit would be a little angsty.

Forgive me if my assumptions were ill conceived.

I still maintain that he's a palette swap and doesn't deserve a seperate place on the roster.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
If you could have 5 clones or 1 original character, which would you pick?
1 original character as long as it's Paper Mario, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, Mach Rider, Vaati, or Ridley.
However, I'll list five clones that I wouldn't mind:
  • Dr. Mario as a Mario clone.
  • Black Shadow as a Ganondorf semi-clone.
  • Ryu or Ken Masters as a Mario semi-clone.
  • Ms. G&W as a Mr. G&W semi-clone.
  • Dixie as a Diddy Kong semi-clone.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I guess 5 clones.

Roy = Clone of Robin
Takamaru = Link
Beastman = Wolf
Ridley = Charizard
Tails = Sonic

I kid, I kid. :laugh:

Seriously though, some of these are technically possible. Though, there's a lot of characters that could be clones of others, even from a different universe, if you wanna stretch things. For the 1 original character, can I pick Roy? As in, totally de-clone and revamp him (then I'd take him over 5 clones). SoS is a pretty unique weapon, y'know. In-game is one thing, but story-wise, if you knew the strength and history behind the sword you'll probably shout out, "WTF!? Major power H4X!!1" as well.

Anyway, I'm really curious to see Ganondorf and if he'll receive major changes.

D

Deleted member

So this just came on Club Nintendo

Watch as Ganondorf on the left becomes his incarnation on SSB4 :p

Morbi

Scavenger
I would most certainly pick the five clones over the "original" character, even if I was not an advocate of clone characters, I am not incompetent (not insinuating that anyone who wanted an original character, is indeed incompetent, I just hold myself to a higher standard; a more, altruistic standard).

Regardless: Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, Black Shadow, Hades, and Ridley (as a Charizard clone).

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
(I just hold myself to a higher standard; a more, altruistic standard).
Dammit Morbid :laugh:

Anyway, I'd go with five clones over one original character. In my eyes, character>unique moveset. Therefore I would choose:
Louie(Clone of Olimar)
Alph(Clone of Olimar)
Charlie(Clone of Olimar)
The President(Clone of Olimar)
Ridley(Clone of Charizard.)

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Dark Pit was literally born of Pit's black outfit from Brawl. That is what he should remain. An outfit.
Alternate voice or riot.

Come on Del Rio, you can voice both characters, just do some clips for Dark Pit so I don't have to endure Pit's death cries when playing as him.

Morbi

Scavenger

Seriously though, please enlighten me on whether you are joking or unenlightened yourself
It is sarcasm, Wolf is not a clone by definition, a pseudo-clone, perhaps.

Alternate voice or riot.

Come on Del Rio, you can voice both characters, just do some clips for Dark Pit so I don't have to endure Pit's death cries when playing as him.
Too bad, you will have to deal with those... because Dark Pit is going to be his own character.

Crawful

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4983-5238-2711
Why doesn't everyone just be happier there are more characters in the game? The reason characters like Toon Link, Lucina, and Falco exist is to make the roster bigger. Remember, there's no such thing as "slots". Sakurai puts whoever he wants in the game, and if he didn't put the clones in, an exact same amount of characters wouldn't replace them. Maybe one unique character would replace all of the clones.
In a way, it's just preference. Would you rather 45ish characters that are all unique, or 50ish characters where a couple share a moveset? It's just an opinion.

SmashLover777

Smash Cadet
NNID
Starfy324
For 5 clones I choose:

Dr.Mario as Mario clone
Birdo as a Yoshi Semi clone
Paula as a Semi clone of Ness and Lucas
Alph as a Semi clone of Olimar
and Glass Joe as a Semi clone of Little Mac.

ZeldaPrime

Smash Rookie
Depends on who the clones and original character are. If the original character is Isaac, the clones would have to be very impressive for me to choose them over Isaac. I'd take 5 clones over characters such as Wii Fit Trainer or Pac-man. (please don't kill me for that)

Zynux

Smash Lord
Dark Pit has got to be the most unnecessary, derivative, and uncreative character you could possibly add into Smash Bros.

With an origin based off a mere palette swap, with his character in Uprising being a copy-paste of an tired/overplayed trope (that wasn't even done well at all in the game; he was terrible even by evil-doppelganger standards), and with his abilities, stature, and build presented in Uprising barely deviating from Pit, to me Dark Pit's inclusion (a prospect which I find to be very plausible, mind you. His little "Party Crashing" in Palutena's trailer is certainly alluding to something, imo) could possibly be the most superfluous character that actually has a decent chance of making it into the game.

I will admit, I am heavily biased against Dark Pit's inclusion. He was nothing more to me than a terrible, trite trope in Uprising. Worst, in Smash 4 he has a very high chance of offering nothing new or worthwhile as far as gameplay mechanics; his playstyle and moveset will be nothing but derivative and uninspired. The possibility of his inclusion over characters that offer far more to draw from, like Medusa or Hades, makes his high plausibility even more frustrating.

His inclusion, in my opinion, is the very definition of unnecessary. I firmly believe he should be an alternate costume (with voice change) and nothing more. I don't believe I could ever agree to his possible inclusion.

Last edited:

Crawful

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4983-5238-2711
I try not to show any anger against anyone in this fanbase, but one thing that irks me is "slots". Slots don't exist, they never existed, and no characters stop other characters from getting in. Wether or not the Wii Fit Trainer got in or not does not decide if Skull Kid was to be playable, or Takamaru or Ashley. They were all decided to be assist trophies for a reason. Sakurai didn't want them playable. For example, Pac-Man was decided to be put in the game because Sakurai wanted him in. WFT is in because Sakurai wanted them in. Lucina was decided to be put in because Sakurai wanted her in. Takamaru isn't in because Sakurai didn't want him in.
For exmaple, let's take a look at Meowth. Meowth is a very interesting Pokemon, because there was a time Meowth was going to be in the N64 Smash Bros, along with a lot of others. But Meowth later was decided to not be in the game, because of time restraints and because Sakurai decided that Meowth wouldn't fit into the game nicely. Jigglypuff, on the other hand, was able to get an entire moveset easily, and was decided to be in, and at one time they existed side by side. Jigglypuff did not replace Meowth; Meowth was cut and Jiggles survived.
There's a lot of other characters who could've gotten in. Bowser, Peach, Wario, King Dedede, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Mew, Meowth, Pit, Toad, Banjo-Kazooie, and James Bond were all considered for the game. But each of them were cut for different reasons. None of them were "replaced" by another, and was only removed do to time restraints or due to rendering issues or moveset issues.

tl;dr Slots aren't a thing, and no character stops another character from getting in.

Last edited:

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
What do you guys think of shulk? After "Monado Monday" I've seen a lot of people say he won't be in, simply because they say gematsu was wrong. So do you think he will be playable?

Morbi

Scavenger
Dark Pit has got to be the most unnecessary, derivative, and uncreative character you could possibly add into Smash Bros.

With an origin based off a mere palette swap, with his character in Uprising being a copy-paste of an tired/overplayed trope (that wasn't even done well at all in the game; he was terrible even by evil-doppelganger standards), and with his abilities, stature, and build presented in Uprising barely deviating from Pit, to me Dark Pit's inclusion (a prospect which I find to be very plausible, mind you. His little "Party Crashing" in Palutena's trailer is certainly alluding to something, imo) could possibly be the most superfluous character that actually has a decent chance of making it into the game.

I will admit, I am heavily biased against Dark Pit's inclusion. He was nothing more to me than a terrible, trite trope in Uprising. Worst, in Smash 4 he has a very high chance of offering nothing new or worthwhile as far as gameplay mechanics; his playstyle and moveset will be nothing but derivative and uninspired. The possibility of his inclusion over characters that offer far more to draw from, like Medusa or Hades, makes his high plausibility even more frustrating.

His inclusion, in my opinion, is the very definition of unnecessary. I firmly believe he should be an alternate costume (with voice change) and nothing more. I don't believe I could ever agree to his possible inclusion.

At least you admit that he has a chance, I have to respect that. I cannot deny that he would be a redundant choice that offers very little (aside from my personal satisfaction).

Crawful

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4983-5238-2711
What do you guys think of shulk? After "Monado Monday" I've seen a lot of people say he won't be in, simply because they say gematsu was wrong. So do you think he will be playable?
I thought he'd be playable way before Gematsu Leak. I still expect him, even though I don't care about him that much.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not sure to be perfectly honest. He is the most difficult character to properly discern. I like to pretend that he does not exist. His "evidence" is predominately comprised off of the legitimacy of the leak that was contested; however, I am doubtful that the remaining characters on the leak are confirmed to not appear just because the source had outdated information regarding only a portion of the leak. Overall, Project Rainfall was a huge deal and I would be surprised if it was not recognized in Smash (especially after Sakurai's tweet that "means nothing") in addition to both of the voice actors going crazy over a certain game. Is he playable? Probably. Do I want him to be an assist instead? You bet your ass that I do. I digress, he is a plausible character, I am expecting him for the most part.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Crawful, is your profile pic the actual talonflame from the anime? Because it looks really bad compared to the model in X and Y imo.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Even with Gematsu dead, I still think Shulk easily has one of the best chances to make it in. He's a new IP, popular, and can be a unique character. It'll also be nice to introduce players to Xenoblade, in a similar style that Earthbound, F-Zero, and Fire Emblem did to a lot of us. I really don't care it all if he's playable or not though. I've never touched Xenoblade Chronicles, and I probably never will.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
At least you admit that he has a chance, I have to respect that. I cannot deny that he would be a redundant choice that offers very little (aside from my personal satisfaction).
Objectively, he has something more that most popular characters (even characters like Dixie, K. Rool, Shulk, etc.): he was ambiguously alluded too. Now, this doesn't mean it is guaranteed to amount to anything in the end, nor is it guaranteed to be playability status (some could argue that it's alluding to his role as a possible alternate costume). However, it is undeniable that his appearance in the trailer is significant. I do not believe that it was just random, but a tease. To what, I do not know.

It's hard for me to gauge. Nothing points to his inclusion anymore, besides a leak whose validity is in question. At least Chorus Men (or another Rhythm Heaven character) is still a plausible assumption, since their franchise is represented in the Smash Run (I say "assumption" because it is unconfirmed whether franchises with playable characters are the only enemies to be found in the Smash Run. However, we have yet to see evidence to contradict this notion, so it is likely that this is the case).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom