• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
More so that people specifically mention that they like the leak when they believe in it.

You must remain impartial with these things. They are using this to manipulate you.
I agree. I still don't get it why people are soo interested in this outside of the obvious, "Ridley, Mewtwo".

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
"They got a list of tha media and some select peeps they are always invitin out to this ****. I'm not even in the industry anymore and haven't been fo years so no clue why I was invited LOL. Last event I was invited out to was 5+ years ago. No clue why I was invited this time."

There's your post from the Ridley thread.

This is what caught my attention.

This sounds right, I just want someone from the industry to confirm that's how it works.
Yeah. That sounds %100 right. Just take that with a grain of salt. I really have no clue where I got that from. I swore it was from his post, but then someone found an archive and it wasn't on there. Are we sure the archive shows the whole thread? I think I'm going crazy man...

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
@ Con0rrrr Con0rrrr

Are you sure you don't remember where this is from?

This could make or break the leak man.

EDIT: Does the archive show the whole thread?

http://boards.deniableplausibility.net/v/thread/251826060/

Don't know how to tell.
SO MUCH PRESSURE. I don't know man. I really don't. I just have it and now that you brought it up I'm tearing my hair out. Even if it was on the board, we don't know if it was him. People started impersonating him later on in the thread

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think it would just be overall beneficial if more people had a "fake until proven (at least partially) true" mentality before they give in to the validity of rumors that can so easily be made.

It must be kinda tiring getting invested in rumor after rumor given the track record of these things.

"They got a list of tha media and some select peeps they are always invitin out to this ****. I'm not even in the industry anymore and haven't been fo years so no clue why I was invited LOL. Last event I was invited out to was 5+ years ago. No clue why I was invited this time."

This sounds right, I just want someone from the industry to confirm that's how it works.
I'm not in the industry... but what media position would exist where someone needs to be invited to see private development of a game both several months before it's even finished development and on multiple occasions? The media is a third-party in this, they wouldn't need to be involved at this point in the game...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm not in the industry... but what media position would exist where someone needs to be invited to see private development of a game both several months before it's even finished development and on multiple occasions? The media is a third-party in this, they wouldn't need to be involved at this point in the game...
That's why I want someone in the industry to confirm or deny the info.

I can think of some possibilities but.... I just want a confirmation.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I think it would just be overall beneficial if more people had a "fake until proven (at least partially) true" mentality before they give in to the validity of rumors that can so easily be made.

It must be kinda tiring getting invested in rumor after rumor given the track record of these things.

A lot of times in the industry they'll invite media out to get info and special content of the game before release. This is usually for sites such as IGN. They are not allowed to say that these sort of events happened. However, I have heard of people being shown things behind closed doors at E3 (Used to follow CoD, many youtubers would be shown special stuff at E3 for them to make videos on early, and release the, to build hype).

This happened last year with Pokemon X/Y. IGN had special info on the games before release. Even revealing some pokemon exclusively on the site before release (Pyroar comes to mind).

Zynux

Smash Lord
For the character announcement on Monday: I have no rationale behind it, but I have a feeling it isn't a Gematsu character, but may possibly be another outlier. Otherwise, Shulk is a logical possibility.

As for the quote "Looks like we're nearing the bottom of the stash of new challenger that we've made..." means exactly as it says: they are running out of new challenger videos that will presumably be released publicly. Has no bearing on the possibility of other secret characters in the game; just that they are nearing the end of the new challenger videos.

For all we know, the next newcomer may actually crush the leak like a bug. I'm getting so sick of that leak anyway.
How would any newcomer at this point "crush the leak like a bug"? The Gematsu Leak never asserted to being the game's only newcomers. The leak cannot be declared false for information it never claimed to know in the first place, especially if the new information doesn't contradict him. Thus, an addition of, say, Ridley, K. Rool, or Mewtwo wouldn't at all be relevant to the leak's validity or lack thereof.

If anything, what would damage/kill the leak is the lack of the remaining 3 newcomers that he did assert would appear in the game: Shulk, Chrom, and Chorus Men. Having these three missing would spread doubt on the information that Sal Romano obtained; not the inclusion of a newcomer nobody, even Sal, didn't predict.

-------------------------------------

As for the discussion on the vulgar leaker, as always, I remain neutral until evidence goes for/against him. Until then, he's just typing words that I can neither confirm nor deny, though admittedly how he words his thoughts is very interesting. If it's someone acting, then he's doing a damn fine job at it.

Personally, this is my favorite leak. Just the irony of this dude potentially being the one to leak info. So if I'm a little too nice to it, just know it is because I find it hilarious
Indeed. If this guy is proven legit, then I will be giddy for weeks after Smash 4 initial release. No better way for Smash 4 speculation to come to a close.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A lot of times in the industry they'll invite media out to get info and special content of the game before release. This is usually for sites such as IGN. They are not allowed to say that these sort of events happened. However, I have heard of people being shown things behind closed doors at E3 (Used to follow CoD, many youtubers would be shown special stuff at E3 for them to make videos on early, and release the, to build hype).

This happened last year with Pokemon X/Y. IGN had special info on the games before release. Even revealing some pokemon exclusively on the site before release (Pyroar comes to mind).
Ok, but if that were the case... we'd have seen some media, right? There have been a few press kits so far, but those were sent out, people weren't invited to see the game. Demo builds exist for an event such as E3 or another con, it wouldn't be the same as an invitation to see the game over a span of a few months. IGN was given snippets of info, they didn't have access to the full game or even the game at all, like this guy is claiming. All they had were little press packs, trailers or artwork or something. Eventually the media is given access to the game early, but certainly not this early. Nintendo shows the media what they don't mind getting out, because that's the media's job. They don't invite the media in to see a partially completed project and then not report on it.

In any case I think doing an investigation over a leak with pretty much only Ridley and Mewtwo of note (who are on like the majority of troll lists) is just playing into their hand...

If he turns out to be telling the truth then great, we have the rumor "on file", but is yet another rumor that can be so easily faked with such typical claims really worth hashing out? Even if his job claims "check out" we'd still have to wait for some actual confirmations or deconfirmations before learning the validity of the leak. A leak which seems super fake imo.

Plus this thread isn't for discussing the validity of leaks.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Ok, but if that were the case... we'd have seen some media, right? There have been a few press kits so far, but those were sent out, people weren't invited to see the game. Demo builds exist for an event such as E3 or another con, it wouldn't be the same as an invitation to see the game over a span of a few months. IGN was given snippets of info, they didn't have access to the full game or even the game at all, like this guy is claiming. All they had were little press packs, trailers or artwork or something. Eventually the media is given access to the game early, but certainly not this early. Nintendo shows the media what they don't mind getting out, because that's the media's job. They don't invite the media in to see a partially completed project and then not report on it.

In any case I think doing an investigation over a leak with pretty much only Ridley and Mewtwo of note (who are on like the majority of troll lists) is just playing into their hand...

If he turns out to be telling the truth then great, we have the rumor "on file", but is yet another rumor that can be so easily faked with such typical claims really worth hashing out? Even if his job claims "check out" we'd still have to wait for some actual confirmations or deconfirmations before learning the validity of the leak. A leak which seems super fake imo.

Plus this thread isn't for discussing the validity of leaks.
Apologies. That is of course, is just my theory. Not a fact. I actually thought I was in Rumors and Leaks discussion! I was tagged here so I just assumed. Apologies!

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I don't know...if we do have at least 50, and we are guaranteed Mewtwo, Ridley, and the gematsu three, and the usual 11 veterans....we'd be at 49. So who would our last one or two characters be (depending on whether or not Lucas returns)?

Yes, Mewtwo and Ridley are typical troll suggestions, but they are also very likely. Especially Ridley given how he has been teased virtually nonstop (very peculiar for a mere boss or stage hazard). Besides, even if he gets all four, he has suggested the following:

- Shulk seems to have been the most complete of all the characters mentioned.
- Ridley has a unique flying mechanic; kind of like gliding, only it doesn't suck.
- Ridley seemed to have been a late addition to the roster, likely one of the last ones added due to fan demand.
- Mewtwo seemed to have been glossed over when shown and wasn't given much thought or consideration.
- The Chorus Kids, while presented, were not allowed to be tried out.
- Chrom was never mentioned or shown off in any capacity, so his status as a playable character is a mystery.

It seems that there are more checks to take into consideration that just confirmation. For example if Shulk seems to be the most complete character shown, then it is to suggest that he would be the most likely newcomer to be revealed. It seems kind of odd too that this leak was almost a whole week before Sakurai announced another newcomer video coming Monday morning. Add to that the hints surrounding the developers at Monolift Soft tweeting about the Smash announcement, it seems almost a certainty that we will be getting Shulk Monday in spite of the lack of evidence or presence of him or Xenoblade Chronicles as a whole in Smash Brothers so far. If anything, Monday is the one chance Shulk has at being revealed before launch. Otherwise, I will doubt the credibility of any leak with Shulk in it until I am proven otherwise.
Next character is Ridley, who has two checks to his name. The first is pretty self-explanatory; if he does not come packaged with a unique flying mechanic that is like gliding, then we'll know the leak is fake, even if the character does get confirmed. The second part, however, is a bit tricky. The fact that he was tested out by a select few seems to suggest that he's further along done than characters like the Chorus Kids or presumably Ice Climbers. And yet, he was apparently one of the last characters added, if not THE last. If this is true, then chances are, we probably wouldn't get a reveal trailer for him, at least not until reasonably late. And even then, he's likely not just a secret character, but also one of the last characters to unlock given the history in which characters with low priorities tend to fall in the order. So if first part doesn't get fulfilled, then it's fake. If second part doesn't follow my theories, then it's at least likely to be suspicious at least.

Fourth checkpoint is Mewtwo, and given the supposed low priority to Mewtwo, it seems to suggest that he may not get a trailer at all, and will simply be given a veteran's welcome. Maybe through a pic of the day, but either way, there's really no reason to expect anything less than a secret character revealed post-launch without a newcomer trailer. Villains generally don't get the newcomer love anyways (with a couple exceptions, of course), so there you go. I don't know; it may have sounded like he just took notice of the character rather than having been talked about.

The fifth check seems to involve the Chorus Kids not allowed to be played, suggesting something unusual. It suggests that they are not ready to be played, and were compared to the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch. He also said they were given a presentation. This likely suggests that, if anything, they'd be one of the last characters revealed. But on the other hand, it could also mean to suggest that, if the gematsu leak is simply revealing newcomers that are to have trailers, they'd be the last characters from the leak to be revealed, and would likely be revealed in September. Now, if this doesn't follow through based on how the leak was structured, then it won't disconfirm the leak at all. But it is worth using to map itself out how these characters might get revealed.

The final check is the notable omission of Chrom. And on top of that, his total, plus the usual number of veterans predicted to come back, would add up to 48 characters total, which means we'd be short three guys. That's about 15 newcomers give or take depending on whether or not Mewtwo counts, and whether or not Lucas is coming back. Now, of the three missing pieces, Chrom is not only most likely to be revealed before launch, but is most likely to get an August Direct. Now, I could perhaps understand if this guy never noticed or couldn't identify him. But what's amazing is that he wasn't one of the three characters shown off at all, and you'd think this'd be a sign he'd be post-launch, but then it'd be crazy to expect a reveal trailer of any sort. I do believe that if the gematsu leak is to hold any water, then the only possible outcome from this is that this guy tested out the game, and never got to talk about Chrom since he was hounded out by trolls. But, if we are to take any credibility with the gematsu leak, if I am to predict when Chrom would be announced, based on the details surrounding Shulk and the Chorus Kids, I can only assume it'd be the August Direct.

But after Chrom, who else would fill in the one or two shoes? Depending on whether or not Lucas comes back, we could potentially have either one more newcomers we don't know about, or two. We could likely point that he'd recognize them if they were someone notable like K. Rool or Isaac, but given just how stupid this guy seemed to have come across, I could possibly believe that this guy would not recognize either of them on face value. In addition, he never got to reveal any more details beyond these four characters, and what we could speculate from what we were given. So who those one or two mystery characters may be remains to be seen. Heck, if the Mii Fighters share their slot with the Random icon like some people say, then we could have as many as three mystery characters, or as many as 15-17 newcomers (depending with Mewtwo or Lucas, again). That is a ton more than I'm expecting. Or, the Mii Fighters would simply take up three slots, and the newcomers listed plus Chrom is all we're getting. Who knows?

Now, how I came up with the math of 51 stemmed from the fact that there were at least 50 playable characters in total. Now, we don't know if this guy was either rounding or just making educated guesses, but I'm going to assume that it's a perfect rectangle yet again since he also said there would be four roads. 51+Random equals 52 in a 4x13 rectangle that would undoubtedly fit on the Wii U. Also, based on the knowledge that he said four rows, it is a safe bet to assume that he played the Wii U version, and that this guy was a tester from the outside hired to help provide outside opinions to help speed up the debugging purposes. This in turn, actually supports and adds up to why the Wii U is being released so much later than the 3DS version, and fits in with both Brawl's post-production history as well as what Sakurai has confirmed for us. It's a smart tactic when one thinks about it since further comments from that page seems to suggest that he was returning home, and that we wasn't to witness any further. By not showing off all the characters towards these testers, but only a select few, they limit their input on potential leaks. By taking out all photography, or video recording, the entire final roster isn't leaked. And even if somebody like this guy were to leak such sensitive information, they would not be taken as seriously. If nothing else, the gematsu leak and how many people treat it like a sacred cow actually helps keep the other characters' secrecy in check should this sort of thing were to happen. He's likely not going to be spilling anymore beans anytime soon even if he wanted to. A shame, because if he revealed a couple new stages for the Wii U, that too, could have been used for cross-examination purposes.

He could be acting. He could be bogus. But he is sort of dimwitted enough to reveal this sort of information. Chances are, he probably wouldn't know who Shulk was unless he was the first character shown off. Heck, he doesn't even know what game he is from, so that's supporting him. We'll see, but either way, I do think we will be seeing Ridley as a playable character, and we are likely to get Shulk and Chorus Kids down the road anyways. Mewtwo...either on the final roster, or as DLC. Really, the only things working against him is whether or not all four of these characters make it in the final product, whether or not Ridley has a unique flying mechanic that would put gliding in past games to shame, and whether or not the Wii U version will have only four rows ("at least 50" can be argued to be him simply rounding).

But, everything else seems to be able to be used as an indicator on when we can expect to see these characters. And what luck that in less than a week after he leaked this information, we will be getting a Monday reveal. Let's see if we actually get Shulk out of this. Because if it does, then this whole rest of the cast could easily fall into place. The only question is: If this leak and gematsu are 100% true, then who else will be joining the fight? Hints suggest King K. Rool; Lucas could always make a return as well. Or it could be someone else that nobody has expected. Are there really any characters left on par with Mr. Game & Watch AND ROB in terms of being retro, historically significant, AND completely WTF? Could that character be that new WTF character?

Also, back on Chrom: I think Chrom being revealed in August can actually support my version exclusive starter theory. So far, the only character revealed that seems like a surefire secret character in both versions of the game is Pac-Man. Maybe Mega Man and Sonic as well, but I have this feeling that they will both be starters this time around. The odd ducks so far appear to be Shulk and Chorus Kids since we all assumed they'd be unlockable, and for all I know, they very well could be. Again, version exclusivity, but also in the case of CK, maybe given a reveal trailer shortly after the game comes out.

That's all for the night. I'll discuss this further tomorrow morning.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
This is currently my roster
Wii U

3DS

Based on the belief that the characters all appear in the same order as they do in the demo roster and that all RPG characters appear on the single row on the Wii U roster. (leaving no room for Mewtwo:rotfl:)

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I have new reasoning to believe gematsu isn't all we have now. So if we were to get a gematsu character on Monday then another gematsu character at the august direct that would leave one secret newcomer. I really don't think there would only be one secret newcomer. Thoughts?
I came to the same conclusion. I thought it would be odd to only have one or two secret newcomers in the game upon release. Unless we aren't getting any secret newcomers this time around.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't know...if we do have at least 50, and we are guaranteed Mewtwo, Ridley, and the gematsu three, and the usual 11 veterans....we'd be at 49. So who would our last one or two characters be (depending on whether or not Lucas returns)?

Yes, Mewtwo and Ridley are typical troll suggestions, but they are also very likely. Especially Ridley given how he has been teased virtually nonstop (very peculiar for a mere boss or stage hazard). Besides, even if he gets all four, he has suggested the following:

- Ridley has a unique flying mechanic; kind of like gliding, only it doesn't suck.
- Ridley seemed to have been a late addition to the roster, likely one of the last ones added due to fan demand.
- Mewtwo seemed to have been glossed over when shown and wasn't given much thought or consideration.
- Chrom was never mentioned or shown off in any capacity, so his status as a playable character is a mystery.

It seems that there are more checks to take into consideration that just confirmation. For example if Shulk seems to be the most complete character shown, then it is to suggest that he would be the most likely newcomer to be revealed. It seems kind of odd too that this leak was almost a whole week before Sakurai announced another newcomer video coming Monday morning. Add to that the hints surrounding the developers at Monolift Soft tweeting about the Smash announcement, it seems almost a certainty that we will be getting Shulk Monday in spite of the lack of evidence or presence of him or Xenoblade Chronicles as a whole in Smash Brothers so far. If anything, Monday is the one chance Shulk has at being revealed before launch. Otherwise, I will doubt the credibility of any leak with Shulk in it until I am proven otherwise.
Next character is Ridley, who has two checks to his name. The first is pretty self-explanatory; if he does not come packaged with a unique flying mechanic that is like gliding, then we'll know the leak is fake, even if the character does get confirmed. The second part, however, is a bit tricky. The fact that he was tested out by a select few seems to suggest that he's further along done than characters like the Chorus Kids or presumably Ice Climbers. And yet, he was apparently one of the last characters added, if not THE last. If this is true, then chances are, we probably wouldn't get a reveal trailer for him, at least not until reasonably late. And even then, he's likely not just a secret character, but also one of the last characters to unlock given the history in which characters with low priorities tend to fall in the order. So if first part doesn't get fulfilled, then it's fake. If second part doesn't follow my theories, then it's at least likely to be suspicious at least.

Fourth checkpoint is Mewtwo, and given the supposed low priority to Mewtwo, it seems to suggest that he may not get a trailer at all, and will simply be given a veteran's welcome. Maybe through a pic of the day, but either way, there's really no reason to expect anything less than a secret character revealed post-launch without a newcomer trailer. Villains generally don't get the newcomer love anyways (with a couple exceptions, of course), so there you go. I don't know; it may have sounded like he just took notice of the character rather than having been talked about.

The fifth check seems to involve the Chorus Kids not allowed to be played, suggesting something unusual. It suggests that they are not ready to be played, and were compared to the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch. He also said they were given a presentation. This likely suggests that, if anything, they'd be one of the last characters revealed. But on the other hand, it could also mean to suggest that, if the gematsu leak is simply revealing newcomers that are to have trailers, they'd be the last characters from the leak to be revealed, and would likely be revealed in September. Now, if this doesn't follow through based on how the leak was structured, then it won't disconfirm the leak at all. But it is worth using to map itself out how these characters might get revealed.

The final check is the notable omission of Chrom. And on top of that, his total, plus the usual number of veterans predicted to come back, would add up to 48 characters total, which means we'd be short three guys. That's about 15 newcomers give or take depending on whether or not Mewtwo counts, and whether or not Lucas is coming back. Now, of the three missing pieces, Chrom is not only most likely to be revealed before launch, but is most likely to get an August Direct. Now, I could perhaps understand if this guy never noticed or couldn't identify him. But what's amazing is that he wasn't one of the three characters shown off at all, and you'd think this'd be a sign he'd be post-launch, but then it'd be crazy to expect a reveal trailer of any sort. I do believe that if the gematsu leak is to hold any water, then the only possible outcome from this is that this guy tested out the game, and never got to talk about Chrom since he was hounded out by trolls. But, if we are to take any credibility with the gematsu leak, if I am to predict when Chrom would be announced, based on the details surrounding Shulk and the Chorus Kids, I can only assume it'd be the August Direct.

But after Chrom, who else would fill in the one or two shoes? Depending on whether or not Lucas comes back, we could potentially have either one more newcomers we don't know about, or two. We could likely point that he'd recognize them if they were someone notable like K. Rool or Isaac, but given just how stupid this guy seemed to have come across, I could possibly believe that this guy would not recognize either of them on face value. In addition, he never got to reveal any more details beyond these four characters, and what we could speculate from what we were given. So who those one or two mystery characters may be remains to be seen. Heck, if the Mii Fighters share their slot with the Random icon like some people say, then we could have as many as three mystery characters, or as many as 15-17 newcomers (depending with Mewtwo or Lucas, again). That is a ton more than I'm expecting. Or, the Mii Fighters would simply take up three slots, and the newcomers listed plus Chrom is all we're getting. Who knows?

Now, how I came up with the math of 51 stemmed from the fact that there were at least 50 playable characters in total. Now, we don't know if this guy was either rounding or just making educated guesses, but I'm going to assume that it's a perfect rectangle yet again since he also said there would be four roads. 51+Random equals 52 in a 4x13 rectangle that would undoubtedly fit on the Wii U. Also, based on the knowledge that he said four rows, it is a safe bet to assume that he played the Wii U version, and that this guy was a tester from the outside hired to help provide outside opinions to help speed up the debugging purposes. This in turn, actually supports and adds up to why the Wii U is being released so much later than the 3DS version, and fits in with both Brawl's post-production history as well as what Sakurai has confirmed for us. It's a smart tactic when one thinks about it since further comments from that page seems to suggest that he was returning home, and that we wasn't to witness any further. By not showing off all the characters towards these testers, but only a select few, they limit their input on potential leaks. By taking out all photography, or video recording, the entire final roster isn't leaked. And even if somebody like this guy were to leak such sensitive information, they would not be taken as seriously. If nothing else, the gematsu leak and how many people treat it like a sacred cow actually helps keep the other characters' secrecy in check should this sort of thing were to happen. He's likely not going to be spilling anymore beans anytime soon even if he wanted to. A shame, because if he revealed a couple new stages for the Wii U, that too, could have been used for cross-examination purposes.

He could be acting. He could be bogus. But he is sort of dimwitted enough to reveal this sort of information. Chances are, he probably wouldn't know who Shulk was unless he was the first character shown off. Heck, he doesn't even know what game he is from, so that's supporting him. We'll see, but either way, I do think we will be seeing Ridley as a playable character, and we are likely to get Shulk and Chorus Kids down the road anyways. Mewtwo...either on the final roster, or as DLC. Really, the only things working against him is whether or not all four of these characters make it in the final product, whether or not Ridley has a unique flying mechanic that would put gliding in past games to shame, and whether or not the Wii U version will have only four rows ("at least 50" can be argued to be him simply rounding).

But, everything else seems to be able to be used as an indicator on when we can expect to see these characters. And what luck that in less than a week after he leaked this information, we will be getting a Monday reveal. Let's see if we actually get Shulk out of this. Because if it does, then this whole rest of the cast could easily fall into place. The only question is: If this leak and gematsu are 100% true, then who else will be joining the fight? Hints suggest King K. Rool; Lucas could always make a return as well. Or it could be someone else that nobody has expected. Are there really any characters left on par with Mr. Game & Watch AND ROB in terms of being retro, historically significant, AND completely WTF? Could that character be that new WTF character?

Also, back on Chrom: I think Chrom being revealed in August can actually support my version exclusive starter theory. So far, the only character revealed that seems like a surefire secret character in both versions of the game is Pac-Man. Maybe Mega Man and Sonic as well, but I have this feeling that they will both be starters this time around. The odd ducks so far appear to be Shulk and Chorus Kids since we all assumed they'd be unlockable, and for all I know, they very well could be. Again, version exclusivity, but also in the case of CK, maybe given a reveal trailer shortly after the game comes out.

Leak being true or not, this was a great read!

Thedude3445

Smash Apprentice
I haven't posted here on Smashboards since Brawl came out when I was thirteen but I've been really super excited about Smash 4 and I have lurked here long enough recently that I will just go ahead and post my thoughts here.

Mainly, I don't think this Foul Mouthed guy is real at all. The way he worded the Chorus Kids was too hype-baiting as was the "at least 50 characters" comment (though I do think there will be 50-55 total).

However, assuming it IS true, and going along with epicgordan, then Shulk will probably be revealed Monday (which will probably happen regardless of this guy), and then Chorus Kids, Mewtwo and Ridley will be revealed at the August Direct, presumably in two different trailers. Now, Ridley's fate is absolutely going to be determined before release considering players will know as soon as they play Pyrosphere anyway. But Chrous Kids doesn't seem like they'd be unlocked from the start. Same with Mewtwo, who was casually mentioned here. I have no faith that they would announce FOUR more newcomers (counting Mewtwo) before the game's release and no more veterans; if even just one or two veterans were announced alongside these, that would push Smash 4's starting roster past forty, even counting Miis as just one character, which is insane. I don't feel like they would do that.

Also, to epicgordan, you mentioned that Chrom is the most likely of the Gematsu Trio to be unlocked but I think he's by far the most likely to be hidden. There are already two FE reps and having all three (assuming Lucina or Avatar won't make it in because why would they put in four FE reps) be unlocked from the start would be somewhat strange. They did that with Kirby last time though so I guess it could still happen.

Lastly, I think Shulk will be revealed Monday for a very superficial reason-- they want to show off a new stage and any Xenoblade stage at all would be extremely appealing to audiences because it will look extremely beautiful.

(Hopefully typing this on a phone at 6 AM didn't render this message fully incomprehensible)

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
This is currently my roster
Wii U

3DS

Based on the belief that the characters all appear in the same order as they do in the demo roster and that all RPG characters appear on the single row on the Wii U roster. (leaving no room for Mewtwo:rotfl:)
Okay I understand you're going for an "out there" choice with the Satellaview characters, but Hades??
Hades????

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Okay I understand you're going for an "out there" choice with the Satellaview characters, but Hades??
Hades????
Pit!
PIT!!!

In all seriousness, When trying to determine characters based on the order they appear, a Third Kid Icarus character just slid in there far too well for my liking. And I want to believe Sakurai wouldn't make a colour swap playable and
Hades does make Medusa completely redundant and unimportant in Uprising as he was the true villain the whole time

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Pit!
PIT!!!

In all seriousness, When trying to determine characters based on the order they appear, a Third Kid Icarus character just slid in there far too well for my liking. And I want to believe Sakurai wouldn't make a colour swap playable and
Hades does make Medusa completely redundant and unimportant in Uprising as he was the true villain the whole time
But three Kid Icarus characters? Really?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
As I said, It was decided based on the fact that it fits in too well.

Here, this is the best explanation I have for the decisions http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/69464105

Just swap out Takamaru for Parabo and Satebo.
I still firmly believe that it's a safer bet to assume that either Ness is in the second row, another new ip character has still yet to have been hinted at, or there is a fourth Kirby character. Regardless of the outcome, I highly doubt that there are three Kid Icarus characters. Sakurai may have just worked on it and all but he couldn't have allowed himself to go through with that.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

Difficult saying this leak is true when Ridley is in. But for the sake of debate, let's say it's true.
We start with 35 veterans + Mewtwo ; 36 characters with Snake, Lucas, Squi and Ivy cut.
12 newcomers (Gematsu + Rosalina) give us 48 characters. There are at least 50 characters ; probably the whole roster then. He said there are four rows ; we either lack 3 newcomers + random (making it 51 characters), either 7 newcomers + random (55 characters).

If 51, the last three I could see getting in are K. Rool, Ridley and Isaac.
If 7, the former three plus Paper Mario, Mach Rider, Bandana Dee, Anna.

Saddly I can't go with this leak, Ridley being pretty much disconfirmed for me (hints towars him being a boss + his movements mechanical as a boss).

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Oh, one more thing about this "Foul Mouthed Leak."

The leak makes a mention about how Ridley seemed to be a character who was added later on in development. What's interesting is that this gives Ridley a reason for not appearing on the Gematsu Leak. I've previously mentioned how the majority of the information Gematsu leaked is outdated information, from a point when the roster seems to be mostly decided on, but still not quite finalized. If Ridley truly was added later on in development, it's possible he was added sometime after the Gematsu leaker got ahold of his information. Come to think of it, it could possibly explain the jerky motions of the shadow we saw in the Direct, but that may be a bit of a stretch.

Anyway, I thought that was worth pointing out. Maybe this "leaker" is just really clever in how he designed this "leak," but I think it could be real. But at the moment, this is just another random leak, so take it with a grain of salt.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You know? I was thinking about the roster for this game and whether I was happy with it (assuming the Gematsu leaks are ALL the newcomers) and...I think I am...kind of. You see, before SSB4 was even announced, before Brawl was even released, I've been a HUGE Mega Man supporter. And well, my favorite blue robot made it in. Needless to say, I was really happy. Eventually I heard Sakurai wanted to revive more forgotten franchises, like Kid Icarus, and this is where a lot of my disappointment stems from... You see, I was hyped up to see people like Takamaru, Lip, Mach Rider, Prince Sable, etc. I also wanted Isaac/Matthew in as well... And well, it doesn't seem like I'll be seeing any of those characters. So it was Sakurai's statement about classic characters that got me hyped up even more about this game, but to see that he was only referring to Little Mac (who recently had a new game) or third parties like Pac-Man and Mega Man (whom I love and am super happy he's included) I felt...a little let down. And out of all the remaining newcomers, Shulk is the only one I like.

Perhaps that was my fault for thinking he was referring to my favorite famicom Samurai, or Lip, or whoever else. With that out of the way, to focus on the newcomers announced, the only ones I actually like are Mega Man, Little Mac, and Pac-Man...which is sad, considering how many awesome newcomers were in Brawl. So, all things considered, I'm disappointed with the roster, but I'm super hyped to play as Mega Man too. In fact, it's Mega Man who's keeping me from being too upset about it. Maybe someday, in a future game (if there is one), I'll get to see Isaac/Matthew, Takamaru, Lip, and the rest join the roster, but it looks unlikely at this point. In any case, my two favorite characters of all time are together in one game, Kirby and Mega Man... So I can't complain too much.
All could have been avoided if Sakurai didn't focus too much on new series or characters that existed after the GameCube. Sure there there's Pac, Rock, and Mac; but that still isn't good enough.

Oh well, at least the only option left is to download your most wanted choices. Though it's nowhere near as bad as the Crapcom situation.

Last edited:

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
All could have been avoided if Sakurai didn't focus too much on new series or characters that existed after the GameCube. Sure there there's Pac, Rock, and Mac; but that still isn't good enough.

Oh well, at least the only option left is to download your most wanted choices. Though it's nowhere near as bad as the Crapcom situation.
True, true. I don't like DLC in games much, but if it's the only way I'll be able to play some of these characters, so be it. I'll just have to deal with it.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I haven't posted here on Smashboards since Brawl came out when I was thirteen but I've been really super excited about Smash 4 and I have lurked here long enough recently that I will just go ahead and post my thoughts here.

Mainly, I don't think this Foul Mouthed guy is real at all. The way he worded the Chorus Kids was too hype-baiting as was the "at least 50 characters" comment (though I do think there will be 50-55 total).

However, assuming it IS true, and going along with epicgordan, then Shulk will probably be revealed Monday (which will probably happen regardless of this guy), and then Chorus Kids, Mewtwo and Ridley will be revealed at the August Direct, presumably in two different trailers. Now, Ridley's fate is absolutely going to be determined before release considering players will know as soon as they play Pyrosphere anyway. But Chrous Kids doesn't seem like they'd be unlocked from the start. Same with Mewtwo, who was casually mentioned here. I have no faith that they would announce FOUR more newcomers (counting Mewtwo) before the game's release and no more veterans; if even just one or two veterans were announced alongside these, that would push Smash 4's starting roster past forty, even counting Miis as just one character, which is insane. I don't feel like they would do that.
Okay, first of all, Pyrosphere is a Wii U-exclusive stage; we will be getting the 3DS version first. So even if Ridley isn't revealed befored launch, he can still be given official confirmation (or we'll just be leaked the entire roster). And if Ridley was one of the last new additions to the roster, it would likely mean he'd be a secret character in both versions The guy worded it too like he only noticed Mewtwo from the select screen and that he was simply taken casually compared to everyone else, so for all we know, he could just get the Sonic treatment. We'll likely only get confirmation of him post-launch as well. Chorus Kids, I can actually see them being the last newcomer trailer in September--possibly to celebrate the Japanese launch. That would explain why they couldn't be played as, and yet they got a demonstration.

And yes, I do believe we will be getting more newcomers. Chances are, Wario and Mr. Game & Watch might both get confirmed simultaneously with Chorus Trio, giving all three of them an excuse to be revealed and yet remain secret in both versions.
Also, to epicgordan, you mentioned that Chrom is the most likely of the Gematsu Trio to be unlocked but I think he's by far the most likely to be hidden. There are already two FE reps and having all three (assuming Lucina or Avatar won't make it in because why would they put in four FE reps) be unlocked from the start would be somewhat strange. They did that with Kirby last time though so I guess it could still happen.
First of all, most likely to be revealed at the August Direct. Being unlocked and being hidden are kind of the same thing lol. But, it is worth noting too that this leaker makes no mention of Chrom at all, so there's that for him. And while we could potentially see three starter Fire Emblem characters, why I even suggested August Direct had more to do with the theory I have about version exclusive starters. To better illustrate my point here, the Wii U demo had Rosalina, Link, Zero Suit Samus, and Olimar playable. The 3DS version, on the other hand, had Luigi, Yoshi, Sheik, and Toon Link. My theory here is that there will be more characters that will be like that. To use Fire Emblem as an illustration, let's just say that Chrom will be a starter on the 3DS while you had to unlock Ike. But on the Wii U version, it's the other way around. Just using that situation as an example, here.

Lastly, I think Shulk will be revealed Monday for a very superficial reason-- they want to show off a new stage and any Xenoblade stage at all would be extremely appealing to audiences because it will look extremely beautiful.

(Hopefully typing this on a phone at 6 AM didn't render this message fully incomprehensible)
We do seem to be falling behind on stage reveals, haven't we? I can also expect to see some gameplay footage on the 3DS too so we can also expect a new stage there; it needs a new reveal more than the Wii U anyways. But there is so much pointing towards Shulk's reveal Monday that it isn't even funny.

And no worries; got your message loud and clear!:)

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
I really don't want Shulk on Monday. Sure, he is gonna arrive sometime or another. But I just want to be surprised. Gematsu is ruining all the fun of character reveals for me.

I remember getting super excited at the reveals of Mega Man, Greninja, and Rosalina because I didn't expect them.
On the other hand, E3 was more like: "Hey, Miis. Knew it. Huh, new trailer? Palutena? Another check on the list. Now wheres Pac-Man... oop, there he is."

I expect one of the gematsu guys because of the leak (not just Shulk, that developer's retweet doesn't convince me of anything). But its going to be boring because it won't even be a reveal, its more like a confirmation. For me, at least.

i just want someone new who will prove that gematsu is not complete gospel and that there could be more characters beyond the 3

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He's like the leader of the game along with the nerdy one and the girl. He kinda runs the show. I just played it all the way through.
Some leader; he does jack **** outside the Rhythm Test and Night Walk.
Even Monkey and Mandrill teach you more about how to play the game than he does.

Dude! Why is this such a debate? We have Marshall, and we have his two friends; the nerd, and the girl (who is labeled Chorus Girl). Does this mean anything? They ARE the Chorus Kids! They just have updated looks is all! And even if we apply Game & Wario, Sakurai could still go for their Rhythm Heaven Fever appearances.
One of the most idiotic things I've heard in regards to this discussion.
The Chorus Kids/Chorus Men and Marshal, Cam, & Miss Ribbon are not one and the same.
Aside from that, where are you getting the "she's labeled Chorus Girl" bull from? Her name is Miss Ribbon. You would know that if you actually played the game or took the time to at least research it.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm a Rhythm Heaven fan, and I'd be happy to get almost any representation (even though Chorus Kids are the best option).

Although I hate Marshal now.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm a Rhythm Heaven fan, and I'd be happy to get almost any representation (even though Chorus Kids are the best option).

Although I hate Marshal now.
So, does that mean you hate the Chorus Men three times as much as Marshal?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So, does that mean you hate the Chorus Men three times as much as Marshal?
Chorus Kids are not Marshal. In fact that's why I hate Marshal.

People saying that he's more important than them, even though Marshal himself has only been in one game.
He's far from a mascot, it's usually people who have never played Rhythm Heaven clinging to whatever "real characters" they can find.

D

Deleted member

I can confirm that I went to playtest for that Cartoon Network Smash clone for the 3DS based on an ad the developers put on Facebook to invite people to test the game.

Not quite the same thing, since I wasn't directly invited, but still.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
45 minutes without any post? I wonder what happened to this place...

Relating to Rhythm Heaven, I do like the idea of the Chorus Men, but Rhythm Wrestler and Reporter still beat them for me. :awesome:

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
Some leader; he does jack **** outside the Rhythm Test and Night Walk.
Even Monkey and Mandrill teach you more about how to play the game than he does.

One of the most idiotic things I've heard in regards to this discussion.
The Chorus Kids/Chorus Men and Marshal, Cam, & Miss Ribbon are not one and the same.
Aside from that, where are you getting the "she's labeled Chorus Girl" bull from? Her name is Miss Ribbon. You would know that if you actually played the game or took the time to at least research it.
Why don't you check who's on the cover too

Edit: and I know that a lot of them are on it but for then to be on the cover then do the test then talk to you at the end about everything. It means they kinda run the show

Last edited:

Thedude3445

Smash Apprentice
Okay, first of all, Pyrosphere is a Wii U-exclusive stage; we will be getting the 3DS version first. So even if Ridley isn't revealed befored launch, he can still be given official confirmation (or we'll just be leaked the entire roster). And if Ridley was one of the last new additions to the roster, it would likely mean he'd be a secret character in both versions
..... Oops. Yes, you are completely right about that and please forgive me for forgetting crucial facts like that.

And yes, I do believe we will be getting more newcomers. Chances are, Wario and Mr. Game & Watch might both get confirmed simultaneously with Chorus Trio, giving all three of them an excuse to be revealed and yet remain secret in both versions.
If all three of them got a tease at the very end of whatever the last CG trailer shown is, sort of how Game & Watch already had done at the end of the Pac-Man Trailer (and possibly Dark Pit in the Palutena trailer???).

My theory here is that there will be more characters that will be like that. To use Fire Emblem as an illustration, let's just say that Chrom will be a starter on the 3DS while you had to unlock Ike. But on the Wii U version, it's the other way around. Just using that situation as an example, here.
I had assumed that Olimar and Rosalina were excluded from the 3DS version simply because they were still working on the multi-character capabilities and didn't want to show them off yet, but that actually sounds really cool. I would be much more fine with Chrom being revealed if half the already-revealed cast for each game had to be unlocked anyway.

We do seem to be falling behind on stage reveals, haven't we? I can also expect to see some gameplay footage on the 3DS too so we can also expect a new stage there; it needs a new reveal more than the Wii U anyways. But there is so much pointing towards Shulk's reveal Monday that it isn't even funny.
Oh yeah, Shulk is almost definitely going to be the one, and I think showing off two new stages (Bionis Leg on Wii U with Metal Face as a boss and Satorl Marsh on 3DS seems like it'd be the best guesses at this point) would really ignite the hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom