• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I don't think Tingle is nearly as important as most people think he is, the only games that I can think of where he was somewhat important is Wind Waker and Majora's Mask.
Importance isn't everything, mind you. Look at Rosalina. Similarly to what Tingle would be, Sakurai was able to come up with a unique and fun moveset for a character that appeared less likely than the stand-outs. It could happen to Tingle pretty easily, but I'm not holding my breath.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'd be down for playable shyguy, but I'm not holding my breath. I like the propeller hat up b.

I've always liked playing as shyguy in Mario tennis, so I'd probably have fun with him in smash too.
People say he may not be in because of Shy Guys in the Mario Kart stage,but I'm sure they have many usable and color swapped Alfonzo clones :troll:

Glyphoscythe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Glyphoscythe
3DS FC
0834-0985-0680
People say he may not be in because of Shy Guys in the Mario Kart stage,but I'm sure they have many usable and color swapped Alfonzo clones :troll:
"When Shyguy is fighting on the Mario Kart stage, all of the drivers are now goombas instead of shyguys!"

As for Tingle, I'd be happy as long as he has annoying, spammable taunts. If I can't have some badass character, I want someone I can irritate people with.

D

Deleted member

Apparently having an entire subfranchise to yourself doesn't count as important these days.

I'd love to see then how Wario is important if he rarely shows up in Mario games that don't have to do with competitive pastimes. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Tripping is in Brawl. I don't care why you do or do not think it merited inclusion. It in. Stop resisting and take it from Sakurai like you know you want to.
>comparing Miis to tripping

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
It still would be interesting to see what Sakurai does with Mii and Chrom even if there are plenty of people who do not want them.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I just want to say that the Sal leak shouldn't be completely trusted just because it's gotten significant things "right". I remember shortly after Marvel vs Capcom 3 was revealed a guy posted a "leak" of the games roster, the guy got the Capcom side of characters completely correct (minus him saying Frank West was in, though he was origanlly planned to be in and was removed late in development.) If you had heard that you'd think the leak was true, but he got some things wrong on the Marvel side of characters, proving it was fake. People can just get lucky at guessing characters, not to mention he WAS wrong about Mii, Pac-Man and Little Mac being revealed at E3. On Tingle, he's technically important, but I don't think Sakurai wants to represent the Zelda series with a joke character.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I will say, though...Xenoblaze's ideas and moveset for the Miis really made me warm up to them as a potential inclusion.

Not to mention, Tomodatchi looks hilariously quirky. :p

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If you can't stand the heat of dissenting opinions about controversial subjects like Miis or tripping, get out of the kitchen that is the forum.
Your example was poor, and if you cant handle the heat, don't bother commenting at all.

Comparing the Miis to tripping is ridiculous. Pichu or Young Link would be better comparisons. Not tripping.

Also Tingle has three games he's starred in under his belt, that's more than Luigi has.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Your example was poor, and if you cant handle the heat, don't bother commenting at all.

Comparing the Miis to tripping is ridiculous. Pichu or Young Link would be better comparisons. Not tripping.

Also Tingle has three games he's starred in under his belt, that's more than Luigi has.
My comparison seems to have gone cleanly over your head, therefore I shall explain it as if to a child.

Many people dislike tripping. Many of these people express their dislike for tripping on forums because they believe it is a negative addition. Forums such as Smashboards are meant for the communication of opinions, which differ between users, sometimes drastically. The very idea of some schmuck with delusions of grandeur criticizing people for expressing their dislike of tripping on a forum is ridiculous. Criticism of people expressing their dislike for a character they believe to be a negative addition on a forum is no less ridiculous.

That's the Kup's scoop, yo.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, if I may ask a somewhat odd question to start a new line of discusion...

Who are characters chosen for? What kind of audience is being targeted with these character choices? Personally, I believe there are two possible answers to this:

1.) Characters are chosen for a general Nintendo audience. The characters that are chosen are recognizable to most moderately knowledgeable Nintendo fans, so even gamers unfamiliar with a series can still recognize the characters being added in.

2.) Characters are chosen specifically for the fans of the character's specific series. The characters are chosen primarily to appeal to people who love the series the character originates from, even if said character is only known amongst fans of that series, and not a more general audience.

This is a question I've been wondering about as of late, and the answer could be rather interesting, as it can potentially impact a number of character's chances. So, what is the answer? Is it one of the two I've listed? Or is there perhaps a third explanation? Does this question have any significance whatsoever? I'm rather curious to see what you all have to say on the matter.

D

Deleted member

So, if I may ask a somewhat odd question to start a new line of discusion...

Who are characters chosen for? What kind of audience is being targeted with these character choices? Personally, I believe there are two possible answers to this:

1.) Characters are chosen for a general Nintendo audience. The characters that are chosen are recognizable to most moderately knowledgeable Nintendo fans, so even gamers unfamiliar with a series can still recognize the characters being added in.

2.) Characters are chosen specifically for the fans of the character's specific series. The characters are chosen primarily to appeal to people who love the series the character originates from, even if said character is only known amongst fans of that series, and not a more general audience.

This is a question I've been wondering about as of late, and the answer could be rather interesting, as it can potentially impact a number of character's chances. So, what is the answer? Is it one of the two I've listed? Or is there perhaps a third explanation? Does this question have any significance whatsoever? I'm rather curious to see what you all have to say on the matter.
Currently, I'm seeing them being picked for a general Nintendo audience.

I would probably put down Little Mac as being chosen for fans of the character's franchise (Maybe Mega Man too?)

Last edited by a moderator:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The consumer. That's the only answer.

I'm pretty sure everyone from serial killers to potential extraterrestrial lifeforms have bought and played Super Smash Bros.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Which is why I can appreciate Tomodachi Life, since it feels like the first game where they're trying to give the Mii an actually background, with characteristics and motivations and what not.

Though obviously much more crack, due to the game being one of the most drug inducing title Nintendo has ever produced.
WarioWare says hi!

D

Deleted member

Nah, Tomodachi Life beats out WarioWare in that department.
And that's saying something.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
That's the Kup's scoop, yo.
It's an awful scoop.

Like, **** really.

You're comparing something that no one likes, to something that has a variety of opinions on the subject. No one is pro tripping. Some people hate Miis, some people want to wait and see, some don't care either way, and some like them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So....how about that Dillion?

Guess that leaves another character people wanted to be playable out in the dust? (Condolences to the supporters)

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
So....how about that Dillion?

Guess that leaves another character people wanted to be playable out in the dust? (Condolences to the supporters)
I really wanted Dillon. Nintendo should acknowledge the e-shop somehow, and he really fit. I'm still hoping though... he's so badass, and I'd love a Dillon stage.

Last edited:

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
Sad to see Dillon didn't make it, but his model looks awesome and there's always hope he gets the Mac treatment next time around.

thesandman

Smash Cadet
:c:c:cNOOOOO
Dillon form dillons rolling western was confirmed as an assist trophy! I wish his eshop game exploded with popularity(more than it did) so that way we could have 2 rolling characters duke it out. But now we cant

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I'm happy we got Dillon in some form. I thought he would've been neglected, but for an E-Shop game? Pretty darn good making his way to an AT.

Here's hoping he rises to center stage in the next installment :p

Last edited:

thesandman

Smash Cadet
Hey guys i've had the greatest idea. Lets invite all the 10 year olds from miiverse to chat with us here on the forums! (This is a joke. I just came from miiverse and looked at the dylan pic aswellas some older ones and all the miiverse-goers rant about the most off topic things with terrible grammar. It makes me so mad.)

D

Deleted member

:c:c:cNOOOOO
Dillon form dillons rolling western was confirmed as an assist trophy! I wish his eshop game exploded with popularity(more than it did) so that way we could have 2 rolling characters duke it out. But now we cant
Just wait a bit until the games come out, I betcha someone is gonna find a way to mod in Dillion & other characters that people want in but didn't make it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom