• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't think there is necessarily any reason to count Snake out yet. Considering the friendship between them, I doubt Sakurai wouldn't say anything about it...so that would instantly falsify what Kojima said. Kojima must know what's going on.

The only thing that worries me, is that he said, "I haven't worked on that game", He worked on the stage for Brawl, so if that's true, then that's icky.

Regardless, my "Bring Back Snake" movement would have some sort of impact if he doesn't make it. As I've said before, we're going to have to wait and see.

Parmite

Smash Apprentice
I don't think there is necessarily any reason to count Snake out yet. Considering the friendship between them, I doubt Sakurai wouldn't say anything about it...so that would instantly falsify what Kojima said. Kojima must know what's going on.

The only thing that worries me, is that he said, "I haven't worked on that game", He worked on the stage for Brawl, so if that's true, then that's icky.

Regardless, my "Bring Back Snake" movement would have some sort of impact if he doesn't make it. As I've said before, we're going to have to wait and see.
Didn't you hear? Snake's guaranteed because I had a vision. A vision of Snake being revealed this month or next month. (Probably not this month.)

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

I agree with this (also, what would your reaction be to Nintendo's Goku?).

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Or, he could be vague for the sake of being vague.
I'd assume he'd have to keep quiet on something like this.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Or, he could be vague for the sake of being vague.
I'd assume he'd have to keep quiet on something like this.
Exactly. He couldn't say whether or not Snake was in because he'd have to be under contract probably.

My whole thing is that if Snake wasn't in, then he probably could've just said, "NOPE". But instead, he laughs, and then answers with an unclear response. It doesn't really add up with the information we have.

I'm just impatient because Snake is my home slice. Playing Ground Zeroes today didn't help keep me calm. I just want mah boi Snake back.

Last edited:

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Didn't you hear? Snake's guaranteed because I had a vision. A vision of Snake being revealed this month or next month. (Probably not this month.)
Not sure if serious or just trolling.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Oooooooooooh myyyyyyyyyyy...

http://www.nintendo-master.com/xtne...per_smash_bros_-_les_images_de_la_semaine.htm

It is a French website and so I invite you to use some translators, 'cause it would take me hours to translate by myself.

But in terms of absolute Ridley detractors, we got utter serious candidate there.
I'm a fluent English-French bilingual, so I don't need any translators. 8D

It's basically a French-language site in which they round up a week's Miiverse updates and translates the information given therein for a Francophone audience. For those interested, here's the gist of the what's going on in that page as far as Ridley is concerned:

In short, there's a Ridley debate going on in the comments section. The same weather worn arguments are being forwarded by the opposing party -- Ridley's inherently too big, so scaling him down is inadvisable both in theory and in practice; NES Ridley doesn't count as a pro-Ridley argument, since NES hardware limitations are alleged to be why Ridley is smaller where he was always intended to be huge, as shown in the Zero Mission remake; by his very nature, Ridley isn't playable character material, and is far better suited as a Boss, or in other non-playable capacities; if Ridley is going to be playable, might as well make Andross -- another character unsuitable for roster inclusion -- a playable character; and so forth.

The Ridley supporter in this exchange is attempting to deconstruct the aforelisted lines of reasoning -- debunking the Canon Sizes, Ergo Smash Sizes fallacies, how they'll include Ridley if they want to, and if they do want him in, they'll certainly find a way to make him work, and so on.

Though it should be noted that this Ridley supporter believes that Ridley is a pipe-dream for Smash 4; they don't think that Ridley will make the cut, but they are nonetheless trying to debunk the anti-Ridley arguments being presented, since they don't hold much water as a rule.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Exactly. He couldn't say whether or not Snake was in because he'd have to be under contract probably.

My whole thing is that if Snake wasn't in, then he probably could've just said, "NOPE". But instead, he laughs, and then answers with an unclear response. It doesn't really add up with the information we have.

I'm just impatient because Snake is my home slice. Playing ground Zeroes today didn't help keep me calm. I just want mah boi Snake back.
Well, hopefully you don't have to wait long.
If anything, there's always E3.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Snake is great for E3, but I want newcomers there.
I could see a reveal at a convention with a mature audience. It seems like a smart choice.
Then again, Cranky Reggie.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think Snake is big enough to be revealed alongside a few newcomers.

Although that also depends on what kind of newcomers we get. If they suck, then that's an issue. If they're good, then that makes it 10x better.

I can just picture it...Ridley, Mewtwo, K.Rool trailer...release date...and then after everything else..."Kept you waiting huh"? Snake returns at last!

Parmite

Smash Apprentice

Although that also depends on what kind of newcomers we get. If they suck, then that's an issue. If they're good, then that makes it 10x better.

I can just picture it...Ridley, Mewtwo, K.Rool trailer...release date...and then after everything else..."Kept you waiting huh"? Snake returns at last!
I would die from joy.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

"Sorry to keep you waiting!"
Palutena reveal.
And that my friends would be the greatest day in Smash history.
Mewtwo, K. Rool, Ridley, Palutena, and the return of Solid Snake.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

Personally, I'd want Snake revealed before Ridley, so we can have Ridley's reveal trailer be that of a mock-up of the beginning of Super Metroid, which will feature Snake, instead of going after the Baby Metroid, is in a laboratory-esque space station, trying to recover the Smash Ball, sealed in a case like the Baby Metroid, for research. He's stopped by Samus, the battle for a few seconds, a comedic entrance of Wario would be nice as he tries to come in and take the Smash Ball for himself, only to be caught off guard by an explosion that blows a hole in the wall. A large silhouette enters through the hole, the other three characters too surprised to react quick enough, as it smashes through the glass with its tail and grabs the cased up Smash Ball. The camera then shifts around to the first-person perspective of Samus, trying to identify the creature, only to get warning signs, warnings of a "Challenger Approaching". Ridley then emerges from the shadows and roars, followed by "Ridley Soars into Battle!"

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Personally, I'd want Snake revealed before Ridley, so we can have Ridley's reveal trailer be that of a mock-up of the beginning of Super Metroid, which will feature Snake, instead of going after the Baby Metroid, is in a laboratory-esque space station, trying to recover the Smash Ball, sealed in a case like the Baby Metroid, for research. He's stopped by Samus, the battle for a few seconds, a comedic entrance of Wario would be nice as he tries to come in and take the Smash Ball for himself, only to be caught off guard by an explosion that blows a hole in the wall. A large silhouette enters through the hole, the other three characters too surprised to react quick enough, as it smashes through the glass with its tail and grabs the cased up Smash Ball. The camera then shifts around to the first-person perspective of Samus, identifying the creature aaaaasss...Ridley! Ridley emerges from the shadows and roars, followed by "Ridley Soars into Battle!"
You know, speaking of the Baby Metroid capsule it's the perfect time to share my idea for a Mewtwo reveal.
So it starts out with Samus, walking down a thin pathway in a seemingly empty room. You see that Samus is really walking towards a capsule that looks extremely similar to Baby Metroid's and she looks inside.
Then suddenly a pair of eyes glow from inside and the glass starts to crack. Samus looks around in confusion and fear. The room rumbles and the glass shatters around the capsule.
The camera pans up the body of a mysterious figure, and then you find out this figure is Mewtwo! He puts his hand forward and shouts his battle cry. "MEWTWO STRIKES BACK!"
Cue gameplay.
All this while this music plays:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
You know, speaking of the Baby Metroid capsule it's the perfect time to share my idea for a Mewtwo reveal.
So it starts out with Samus, walking down a thin pathway in a seemingly empty room. You see that Samus is really walking towards a capsule that looks extremely similar to Baby Metroid's and she looks inside.
Then suddenly a pair of eyes glow from inside and the glass starts to crack. Samus looks around in confusion and fear. The room rumbles and the glass shatters around the capsule.
The camera pans up the body of a mysterious figure, and then you find out this figure is Mewtwo! He puts his hand forward and shouts his battle cry. "MEWTWO STRIKES BACK!"
Cue gameplay.
All this while this music plays:
I think a play-off of the Mewtwo encounter in Pokemon Origins would work better, only it would feature the Pokemon Trainer and you know...no BS OP Charizard. Also, that music, as awesome as it is, won't get in as it's Anime music. I mean, I want the theme from the F-Zero anime, as much as I know it won't happen.

Regardless, if Mewtwo gets a battle theme, a remix of the Poke-floats theme from Melee would fit him best, as it was his theme in Melee. And in that case...it would probably sound akin to this:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Wouldn't place my bets on a Mewtwo trailer. He is a vet... a special vet, sure, but I'm not sure if that would warrant a trailer in Sakurai's eyes.
Pretty much this.

I go under the idea that even if he's back, he's still a veteran.
Heck, the trailer Sonic got wasn't even that special compared to that of the newcomers.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Wouldn't place my bets on a Mewtwo trailer. He is a vet... a special vet, sure, but I'm not sure if that would warrant a trailer in Sakurai's eyes.
It could be significant enough to warrant a small trailer, of the same scale that Sonic had. Bringing back a Veteran who missed out on a previous installment is unprecedented in Smash history, after all.

EDIT: It seems everyone's on the same page with the Sonic-grade trailer for Mewtwo. XD

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't know, I feel like they could make a full on cgi trailer for Mewtwo. He is technically a newcomer this time around, and being pretty much THE most wanted character in the world might make him worthy of a big reveal. Well, at the very least, I doubt they'll just reveal Mewtwo like any other veteren.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I will agree on the fact that he should get a trailer, that's for sure. He should have been in Brawl at least. A Sonicish trailer seems realistic though. A full blown one, while I suppose it's possible... not so much.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I don't know, I feel like they could make a full on cgi trailer for Mewtwo. He is technically a newcomer this time around, and being pretty much THE most wanted character in the world might make him worthy of a big reveal. Well, at the very least, I doubt they'll just reveal Mewtwo like any other veteren.
That would certainly be great. The unprecedented circumstances of his (re-)inclusion might allow him to get an awesome CGI trailer to be shown at a Direct or E3.

Could be even cooler if the "style" of the trailer is animated like in the Pokemon anime, since we know that the visual style of Newcomer trailers can vary (i.e. Little Mac).

Whatever the case, I don't see him being revealed during a regular Miiverse update; he's at least getting shown off during a Direct with some kind of accompanying trailer.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Honestly, here's how I see it.
Was Mewtwo in another game? Yes.
He's a veteran, not a newcomer.

I don't see why he of all characters needs the special treatment.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I could see Mewtwo getting a CGI trailer just because he's Mewtwo. He's ranked higher on popularity polls than, like, half of the Brawl cast. The Elite Four don't even shine a candle on his popularity. The potential for hype would be what gets him a trailer.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

Maybe because he's a character that basically everybody and their dog want back in the game, and a quick gameplay trailer displaying his changes would be a welcome addition. However, most see him being released in with a few other characters this E3, so in one way or another...he's going to get a trailer, maybe not for himself, but a trailer is a trailer.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer

So far as I can tell, it's merely that the circumstances surrounding his (most probable) inclusion this time around are distinct enough that it wouldn't be unjustified that he get a little something extra (though how much is up in the air).

Bringing back a character from two games ago -- making him playable in a Smash game after a thirteen year absence -- is a fairly newsworthy occurrence, like as not. Promoting such a "comeback", as it were, would generate a lot of talk and interest, and using a trailer or some other means to promote his return would maximize such widespread watercooler discussion.

On my end, it doesn't really matter how he's announced so long as he gets in. But I wouldn't say no to a full-blown trailer. ;)

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So far as I can tell, it's merely that the circumstances surrounding his (most probable) inclusion this time around are distinct enough that it wouldn't be unjustified that he get a little something extra (though how much is up in the air).

Bringing back a character from two games ago -- making him playable in a Smash game after a thirteen year absence -- is a fairly newsworthy occurrence, like as not. Promoting such a "comeback", as it were, would generate a lot of talk and interest, and using a trailer or some other means to promote his return would maximize such widespread watercooler discussion.

On my end, it doesn't really matter how he's announced so long as he gets in. But I wouldn't say no to a full-blown railer. ;)
A... railer?

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I have a great idea of a mewtwo trailer!

First, a shot of mewtwo running real fast through a forest,
quick shot of mario hitting goombas
Closer shot of mewtwo running through forest
BAM he runs right through mario, doing the spinning taunt.
Mewtwo's my name, i was cut from brawl!
*insert montage of gameplay with live and learn playing*
The end of the trailer has him go mega mewtwo Y and a closeup

(really though, a gameplay only trailer at least pls)

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Maybe because he's a character that basically everybody and their dog want back in the game, and a quick gameplay trailer displaying his changes would be a welcome addition. However, most see him being released in with a few other characters this E3, so in one way or another...he's going to get a trailer, maybe not for himself, but a trailer is a trailer.
Once again.
He's a veteran, he's not a newcomer.
There's no reason to make him special among others because of popularity.

If anything, E3 will be the only excuse for a trailer appearance.

On my end, it doesn't really matter how he's announced so long as he gets in. But I wouldn't say no to a full-blown railer. ;)
So? I guess if Dr. Mario or Roy comes back.
I guess they should have a trailer too.

But even by some logic we do get one, I hardly expect it to be like the newcomers.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Once again.
He's a veteran, he's not a newcomer.
There's no reason to make him special among others because of popularity.
He was a cut veteran. Which means he isn't supposed to return by default like the other veterans. This is a character that basically died and may come back to life. I think that's a pretty big deal.

But even by some logic we do get one, I hardly expect it to be like the newcomers.
Yeah, actually I would say that they could. Not that I expect either of them to come back, especially not Dr. Mario, but their returns would be a much bigger deal than any normal, non-third-party veteran returning.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I really look forward to the goof Miiverse reactions that are going to complain that Mewtwo doesn't have a fully fledged CGI trailer. There are bound to be a handful of people on there that doesn't know he was in Melee.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Here's my idea for a Mewtwo trailer, if Mewtwo does indeed get one to himself:

Basically, it starts out a dark cave, very small room, the outline of a creature standing in the middle of the room. This creature is of course Mewtwo, recollecting his memories of battling in Melee, which will show some black & white flashback gameplay of Mewtwo in Melee. Mewtwo mutters to itself that it was weak, that it went too easy on its opponents back during said time, which will lead to footage of Smash Bros 4. As this footage plays in and out, Mewtwo will say "This time...I will show no mercy!" as its eyes open, glowing blue in the darkness as the cave starts to shake violently. The camera will zoom out to the outside of the cave, which will explode in a powerful psychic-energy explosion as Mewtwo soars off into the sky, AKA a scene designed like the explosion of Giovanni's Gym in the First Pokemon Movie.

The screen then jumps to Mario, Link, Pikachu and Kirby, the main four fighters from Melee's intro and Brawl's reveal, battling on the Battlefield, this is when a giant black ball of energy will fall from the sky, crashing into the stage and blasting all four fighters off the screen. Mewtwo will then land on the battlefield, the camera zoomed up close so that it could only see its feet. The camera then pans up to Mewtwo's face, its eyes flashing as the title "Mewtwo Strikes Back!" flashes on-screen.

Mewtwo shows off its powerful new fighting style, displaying how much its attacks have been upped in knockback, how much heavier it is now, and more. The trailer will end of course with Mewtwo crushing three different opponents in a powerful Psystrike Final Smash, no Mega Evolution needed. The last scene will be a small CGI clip featuring said four main characters, piled on top of each other as they were knocked out, the camera panning around to Mewtwo as it held a Smash Ball in its hand, saying "I...have returned" crushing the smash ball and ending the trailer.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer

I think they should. If they were to return, a Doc and/or Roy trailer would not surprise me in the least. Though if more than one Melee Veteran were to return for Smash 4, I would expect an Oldschool Melee Boyz Return trailer that included all of them.

In any case, the purpose of a trailer is to promote something. Newcomers and Third-Parties are worthy of being promoted on account of their status -- but I would argue that Mewtwo, on account of the circumstances surrounding him, has the pedigree required to merit some kind of trailer (whether its a full-out trailer, or a short gameplay one like Sonic's was).

He's a Veteran; no contest on this point. But he isn't a Brawl Veteran, which is why his position is unique among Veterans in the Smash series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom