• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Let's just hope Snake comes back. I mean, considering an interview that happened rather recently, Kojima hasn't even be contacted about Snake's return in Smash Bros.
...Either it's a question dodge or he's being serious. Now... I'm rather neutral as he may be pulling a Sega, as that is what they said. Hideo has to be ambigious if it's true, but he has to also if it's not to help his buddy Sakurai for hype.

Keep the interest, you know?

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Nt necessarily a good sign, but Sega said something similar.
Perhaps, but the thing is that that comment was back around the time when characters were just starting to get revealed, I believe it was only Olimar revealed aside from the initial reveals from E3, if not than Luigi was as well, but that was pretty recent after E3, but we're now three months into the new year, and seeing as how usually third party characters have their licensing worked out earlier than others to avoid scrambling and issues at the last possible moments, not having any licensing on Snake this close to release does sound like a problem...

...Either it's a question dodge or he's being serious. Now... I'm rather neutral as he may be pulling a Sega, as that is what they said. Hideo has to be ambigious if it's true, but he has to also if it's not to help his buddy Sakurai for hype.

Actually, according to the interview, he actually said that if Sakurai was watching said interview, he hopes that he will let Snake come back. So the push is there, Kojima is willing to let Sakurai use Snake again, but from what we've seen, Sakurai hasn't made the effort to get back Snake as of yet. I'm sure he will, but it's just odd that it took him this long to do so, especially when he was the first third party character last time around.

Last edited:

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Let's just hope Snake comes back. I mean, considering an interview that happened rather recently, Kojima hasn't even be contacted about Snake's return in Smash Bros.
If Snake's back, it will most likely a last minute thing like with Sonic in Brawl.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

If he and Sakurai weren't planning on bringing back Snake but still cooperated in keeping it secret to maintain hype, why not just have Snake in?

Frankly, I just find it a bit hard to believe that Sakurai hasn't said a word about Snake to Kojima after everything Snake went through in Smash history to make it into the game. What Kojima said certainly isn't helpful to Snake by any means, but I don't think he's ruled out as of yet.

?????????????

Smash Master
It could very well be a non-disclosure agreement. In a normal circumstance, the party involved would simply say something like "no comment." However, perhaps Kojima wanted to do something more...creative. Totally speculation, could be entirely wrong, but it's not something I'd put past him.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If Snake's back, it will most likely a last minute thing like with Sonic in Brawl.
I doubt that, if Snake's back Sakurai and Kojima worked it out early because they're friends (which means constant close contact) and Sakurai would try to get everyone back as he's avoiding cuts. I would think both of them would've dealt with the paperwork and all the legal issues much earlier like with what Sonic did this time around as it'd be more beneficial to all parties and avoid a potential Brawl situation.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I honestly don't follow anniversaries anymore. I think the less hyped newcomers will be shown off first, actually.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
"Kept you waiting, huh?" ;)

Also, do you mean that Snake will be revealed late, or will be added late? Given how much trouble Sonic's late addition caused in Brawl, I would like to think that they would have learned their lesson for Smash 4, and so get all Third-Parties in early on (Sonic being shown off in October might allude to them taking such measures).

I'd certainly hope that Sakurai and Kojima would have sorted it out with Snake early on this time as well, assuming Sakurai still wanted Snake to be in the game.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
It could very well be a non-disclosure agreement. In a normal circumstance, the party involved would simply say something like "no comment." However, perhaps Kojima wanted to do something more...creative. Totally speculation, could be entirely wrong, but it's not something I'd put past him.
True, but unlike SEGA not being contacted but very willing, Kojima actually said that he finds it unlikely Snake will return. His real quote is as follows:

"I'm not working on that game, but I don't think it's likely [that Snake will return]. If Mr. Sakurai is watching this, hopefully we'll see Snake."

I understand being vague to build hype, ALA Sonic's return, no Ridley on Pyrosphere, etc. But I don't know how to feel when the actual guy behind MGS says "It's not likely to happen".

Last edited:

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
"Kept you waiting, huh?" ;)

Also, do you mean that Snake will be revealed late, or will be added late? Given how much trouble Sonic's late addition caused in Brawl, I would like to think that they would have learned their lesson for Smash 4, and so get all Third-Parties in early on (Sonic being shown off in October might allude to them taking such measures).

I'd certainly hope that Sakurai and Kojima would have sorted it out with Snake early on this time as well, assuming Sakurai still wanted Snake to be in the game.
Added late, which I hope isn't the case, considering the problems that it could create. Because of the interview, I think if Snake's added at all, he'll be added mid-development.

D

Deleted member

I agree, there was nothing wrong with bringing him back, but the way they did was pretty bad. This topic is subjective however, but he should've came back in Sonic Adventure 3.
I miss the Chao Gardens :sadeyes:
I'm one of few Shadow fans that feels they shouldn't have brought him back in canon. It cheapened his character development from Adventure 2 and the way they handled him caused a big break in the fanbase.

But being a bonus character in multiplayer games would have been acceptable.
Or at the very least, actually make the post-SA2 Shadow an android. One that developed sentience and the memories of the real Shadow.
...not that I'm saying he should have been just like the original but an android. More like a self-aware copy that chooses to follow in the original's footsteps.

....I don't know how to term that without sounding like a crappy fanfic.
EDIT: At least then, the "angst" (caused by cliché Cloning Blues), and the "darker and edgier" aspects from Shadow's game (which are from the android struggling with finding its purpose in life; like Mewtwo and BlackWarGreymon), and even the weapons and vehicles (the android isn't fully capable of the natural abilities the original Shadow possessed) would have been less of an issue. It would not have been screwing with who Shadow was prior to it and ruining his image (at least from my perspective).

Last edited by a moderator:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Bummer. I missed the Chibi Robo discussion...:urg:

As for Snake, I think that, if he was added so early on in Brawl, he would probably be addressed pretty early on in SSB4, as well. Why they would wait so late just to decide Snake's fate mid-development is beyond me. I think, by now, he's either in or out. He isn't something you simply get back to later.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
On snake, i'm pretty sure Kojima was just being vague because he can't exactly say if Snake's in the game due to a something i can't remember.

He also had a goofy smile on when he was saying it, which i think sort of gives away that he knows more about the situation that he can let on.

D

Deleted member

So...basically what they did with Sonic Heroes?
Not exactly, but close.
They only hinted at the idea, but they pretty much set up for the "that's the real Shadow" idea ShTH would later reveal with Omega's line about "the original must exist somewhere" in regards to the copies at the end of Team Dark's story.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Not exactly, but close.
They only hinted at the idea, but they pretty much set up for the "that's the real Shadow" idea ShTH would later reveal with Omega's line about "the original must exist somewhere" in regards to the copies at the end of Team Dark's story.
Well, at least they kept the idea in spirit with the Shadow Android in the Shadow the Hedgehog multiplayer. And hey, maybe the Shadow of Sonic Boom will be an android, would be an interesting concept. Not a bad idea either since we have confirmation of no Chaos Emeralds which removes Shadow's use of Chaos Control.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, at least they kept the idea in spirit with the Shadow Android in the Shadow the Hedgehog multiplayer. And hey, maybe the Shadow of Sonic Boom will be an android, would be an interesting concept.
For Sonic Boom's continuity, they would have to really pull some strings to make Shadow work, if they have him at all.
I'm thinking more that it won't have him.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Let's keep this Smash related, fellas. :p

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
For Sonic Boom's continuity, they would have to really pull some strings to make Shadow work, if they have him at all.
I'm thinking more that it won't have him.
It's true, but accordingly, the head of Sonic Boom's development really likes Shadow and really wants to include him in the game and cartoon in some way. I mean, they've messed with alot of continuity as is with the removal of the Chaos emeralds, having an android shadow with some kind of alternate chaos-like power doesn't seem that farfetched.

Oh yeah, and Smash talk...I just want a veteran reveal already, the wait is really getting irksome. This month could've revealed Yoshi...or Snake...or Mewtwo...or Pokemon Trainer...but nope, nothing. :p

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
It's true, but accordingly, the head of Sonic Boom's development really likes Shadow and really wants to include him in the game and cartoon in some way. I mean, they've messed with alot of continuity as is with the removal of the Chaos emeralds, having an android shadow with some kind of alternate chaos-like power doesn't seem that farfetched.

Oh yeah, and Smash talk...I just want a veteran reveal already, the wait is really getting irksome. This month could've revealed Yoshi...or Snake...or Mewtwo...or Pokemon Trainer...but nope, nothing. :p
200th pic on Monday. Might get something. Then again, it's probably something like Luigi's nose.

D

Deleted member

It would be as good a day as any to reveal a random veteran for March for the 200th.
Considering that next week is the last week in March for PotD aside from the following Monday.

Not getting my hopes up for this one, though.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I know Sakurai has stated that he doesn't want to cut characters, but didn't he apologize ahead of time because characters will be cut? I don't see why time constraints will be a problem this time because Namco-Bandai is helping. . . In my opinion, there shouldn't be any cuts.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I know Sakurai has stated that he doesn't want to cut characters, but didn't he apologize ahead of time because characters will be cut? I don't see why time constraints will be a problem this time because Namco-Bandai is helping. . . In my opinion, there shouldn't be any cuts.
Well there's still the issue of balancing characters, which is extremely time consuming. Fine tuning every move for every character with perfect balance is a tough task. Still, I think the addition of Namco is extremely beneficiary to this task.

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Looks like a good time to post this.
Let's be honest here: there was nothing to promote aside from New Island. Do you think he would just ignore any timed-potential reveals like this, for no reason, no matter how small? And most of March is already gone, yet still nothing?
Now, I'm not saying anyone should believe the following theory, just keep it in mind.
My theory is that there is going to be a Smash direct next month. Aside from the obvious, there's the fact that E3 is nearly three months from now, right? Or at least July, so it's already getting close. If he set up a Smash direct soon, that would cause even more hype for E3 otherwise. Let's also keep in mind that a similar situation happened around November. Aside from Marth, what did we get? Almost nothing. Next month? The first newcomer outside of E3. See where I'm getting at? Virtually nothing one month, next one, boom!
So, if this were to happen? Here's a few things that might happen.
1. Newcomer: I'm going with K. Rool, since I did find it weird that Diddy was revealed despite not being TF's JP date. And besides, all the Mario cast revealed like that? Peach especially since she was only shown off for an anniversary, which doesn't happen often? Seems fishy.
2. The Return of Snake: It certainly would cause hype.
3. Any Other Vet: Obvious possibility is obvious.
I doubt it, but... it's possible.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
He apologized in advance if any cuts do happen. Even with Namco-Bandai on their side it's still a big task adding characters, so cuts are still very possible. Like Sakurai said, every time a character is added the work is multiplied, which he probably meant in regards to testing individual match-ups and such. I'm still expecting a few cuts from Brawl.

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
He apologized in advance if any cuts do happen. Even with Namco-Bandai on their side it's still a big task adding characters, so cuts are still very possible. Like Sakurai said, every time a character is added the work is multiplied, which he probably meant in regards to testing individual match-ups and such. I'm still expecting a few cuts from Brawl.
Well, this time is a case of, unlike Melee, there isn't any real need to cut anybody. Of course, we lost Mewtwo thanks to Sonic's late inclusion, possibly Roy's as well, we got Toon Link for Young Link and we lost Dr. Mario and Pichu because they were unneeded and were just not worth the time to bring back. But this time, every character stands for something, and they have no need to leave. Ike's the big-time NA Fire Emblem character, R.O.B.'s a part of Nintendo history that saved the videogame industry, Lucas is the main protagonist of the latest game in the very famous Mother franchise and has amazing amounts of Japanese fame behind him. I know these characters aren't unlikely to return, but these are the characters most turn to when this topic is brought up.

If cuts happen this time around...it will be a very hefty disappointment.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
The exclusion of SSE should open more time for character balancing and the addition of new characters(that is if we don't get something else just as big as SSE). Not only that, but Brawl brought a lot of brand new characters so a lot of time was used to create them. I agree, it is time consuming to add and balance characters but didn't Sakurai say the roster wont be much larger than Brawl's? We also don't have a release date yet and the game has been in development for a while(so I've heard). I too am expecting some cuts, but I'd be rather agitated if it were due to time constraints.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Louie G.

Smash Hero
To be honest, I would be okay with a few cuts.
As long as I get some of my favorites (Mewtwo, K. Rool, Palutena, Ridley) I'll be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom