• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
So, ignoring all the 'can't be two Pokémon Trainers' thing and such, would anyone here want a Trainer with Chespin, Braixen and Greninja? ^^

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So, ignoring all the 'can't be two Pokémon Trainers' thing and such, would anyone here want a Trainer with Chespin, Braixen and Greninja? ^^
I will accept another Pokemon Trainer only if Mudkip's part of the team.
I could care less about any other starter.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Hell yeh *****.

Just as long as it doesn't replace Pokemon Trainer Red...

----
Don't worry, they can co-exist. I can see the Event Match now, haha. XD

@ Substitution Substitution
Mudkip would be a pain to make playable, I Think. ^^ Ivysaur cheats with his vines, but Mudkip really doesn't have a body fit for that many unique attacks.
I mean, of course it can be done, I've come up with a full moveset for Voltorb even. XD

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
As long as it didn't take the place of any Pokemon veterans we have or a return of Mewtwo, I'd probably be alright with it. I think Braixen and Greninja are pretty cool, and Chespin is cute. There's certainly a lot of potential for them. Although I would wonder about their future in Smash games, since I doubt they'll have much importance over any other starters in the future...

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Meh. I'd prefer if they didn't duplicate what makes one completely unique character unique and just copy onto another character with different Pokemon.

I like Greninja, but not every single character that I remotely enjoy needs to be in Smash.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
@ Substitution Substitution
Mudkip would be a pain to make playable, I Think. ^^ Ivysaur cheats with his vines, but Mudkip really doesn't have a body fit for that many unique attacks.
I mean, of course it can be done, I've come up with a full moveset for Voltorb even. XD
Well, it's not that hard.
Heck, I even made a moveset.

Last edited:

Parmite

Smash Apprentice
As long as it didn't take the place of any Pokemon veterans we have or a return of Mewtwo, I'd probably be alright with it. I think Braixen and Greninja are pretty cool, and Chespin is cute. There's certainly a lot of potential for them. Although I would wonder about their future in Smash games, since I doubt they'll have much importance over any other starters in the future...
Man, I really wish they got rid of Lucario and replaced him with someone new. I never really liked Lucario, because he's kind of boring. (Except for The Aura, which is ****ing nuts.)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Which is why I think we can't have just Brawl + Mewtwo.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
In this fantasy, all veterans plus Mewtwo are in. ^^ Also, indeed, they would be very varied in moveset.
Well, I'd guess they would NOT return in the next Smash, if they were in, th.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Which is why I think we can't have just Brawl + Mewtwo.
Potential doesn't get you a spot in the roster on its own. I could also say that Mewtwo, being a technical newcomer this time around and thus likely to get the uniqueness treatment all the newcomers thus far have received, also has a lot of potential due to his psychic abilities.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
May we see said moveset?
Sure.
Taken from my support page.

Neutral attack
(Infinite) (Multi-hit) Uses Water Gun in front of him (think a FLUDD-esque attack).
Okay range. Decent for trapping, but is easily punishable. Possible to SDI out of.
2% 1.5/10

F-tilt
Headbutts forwards. Little start-up and ending lag.
9%, 8%; 6.5/10, 6/10 (Head and body respectively)

U-tilt
Does a handstand do pull a pseudo-Scorpion Kick. Decent for starting an air combo.
8%; 7% 6-5/10; 5.5/10 (Head and tail respectively)

D-tilt
(Projectile) Emits a blob of water in front of him. The blob goes in a small arc.
Decent range. 6%; 5/10 as clean (4%; 2.5/10 late)

Note: Useful for edge-guarding.

Dash Attack

Sprays water in front of him to slide a small distance . Good for starting combos.
7%; 6.5/10
Note: Water can do damage. 1% 1/10.

Get up attack
Plants his feet on the ground (think the splits).
4.5%; 3/10

Ledge Attack
Headbutts forwards. Has ending lag.
4%; 2.5/10

F-Smash
(Projectile) Emits a pseudo-Water Pulse. Goes in an angle. Decent range.
One of it's his better finishers. 14.5% 7.5/10.

U-Smash
Goes on his back and emits a blob of water over him. Has ending lag.
14.5 8/10

D-Smash
Spins in place using Water Gun.
13.5%; 7.5/10

N-Air
(Multi-hit) Spins in the air, spraying water out of his mouth. (think Pikachu's B-Air, but having a bit more range.).
2% For every hit (hits 6 times), (4% on last); 2.5/10 (5/10 on last hit)

F-Air
(Projectile) Emits water forwards. Decent range.
9%; 6/10

B-Air
Thrusts his hind feet behind.
9%; 8%; 7/10; 7.5/10 (head and tail respectively)

U-Air
A simple headbutt upwards.
10%; 7/10

D-Air
(Meteor Smash) Uses Water Gun downwards.
Has start-up lag but okay range.
11%; 8/10

Grab
Tries to bear hug (well, as much as a Mudkip can). Has little range.

Pummel
Headbutts the opponent.
2%

F-Throw
(Projectile) Emits water forwards, pushing the opponent.
7%; 5.5/10.

B-Throw
(Projectile) Does a backward somersault, and then uses water gun to push the opponent.
6.5%; 5/10

U-throw
Tosses the opponent upwards, then kicks them using a back-flip.
6.5%; 5/10

D-Throw
Drops the opponent, then jumps on them.
6%; 6/10

N-Special "Water Pulse":
(Projectile) A Charge up attack. Simply uses Water Pulse (think Samus' Charge Beam).
Distance and size will vary. 5%-20%; 3/10-8/10
(Uncharged to fully charged.)

Note: Attack can "confuse opponents". Or, reverse their controls for a short period of time.

S-Special "Mud Slap"
Hurls mud at the opponent. Weak, but has good range.
5%; 4/10

Note: The mud slows down (and reduces their jump) opponents for a short period of time...

U-Special "Surf"
(Multi-hit) Charges up, and then uses Surf (it'd be a mix of Squirtle's Waterfall and Diddy Kong's Rocketbarrel Boost).
1.5% (total of ten hits), 3% on last hit; 1.5/10, 5/10 on last hit

Note: During the charge up, Mudkip's gravity is cut by half.

D-Special "Bide"
A delayed Counter. When used, Mudkip will go into a "defensive mode" (his shield animation, but no shield). When he "absorbs" an attacks. Bide will then go into it's second phase. Using down Special again will make him use an attack (a headbutt) using the elements (damage and knock-back) of the absorbed attack.

Final Smash "Hydro Pump"
(Projectile) (Multi-hit) Uses the attack "Hydro Pump".
1.5 (damage per hit, total of 25 hits), 5% on last; 2/10 hits 1-24; 9.5/10 on last hit.

Note: The attack uses elements of "Mario Finale" with the power of "Zero Laser". In that it has a large hixbox, but is not manipulable. Like Zero Laser, it traps opponents. After it's done, Mudkip is vulnerable for a few seconds. It will also be in a helpless state if used in the air...

Up taunt
Mudkip attempts to catch his tail. ("Mud!-Kip!-Mu!")

Side taunt
Mudkip tries to balance on his right hind leg for a moment. (Mu-u-d-kip!)

Down taunt
Jumps twice in the air. ("Mud!-Kip!")

Victory Poses
1. Runs around in a circle, but ends up getting dizzy and falls over. (Mu-u-u-u-ud-kiiiip...)

2. Balances himself in the air using Water Gun.

Note: If you wait long enough, Mudkip would lose control and crash off-screen.

3. Falls asleep, but then wakes up looking surprised. But then decides to fall back asleep.

Losing Pose
Sleeps in the background.

Intro Animation
Comes out of a Pokeball.

Idle Animation:
1. Looks around a bit, then look straight.

2. Uses it's hind leg to scratch his right cheek.

Cheer
Mu-d! - Kip! - Mu-d! - Kip! (Female audience says "Mud!"; Male audience says "Kip!")

Note: I rate knock-back using numbers. 1/10 is the weakest. 10/10 is the strongest.

[collapse="Playstyle"]
Speed: 5/10 (Walk) 5.5/10 (dash)
Attack: 8/10
Weight:4/10
Playstyle: Mudkip, at his core, is a glass cannon. Having many strong attacks that come out fast and KO easily.
Since he (unfortunately) has no hands. Many on his attacks rely on his Water Gun, giving him great range and decent pressure options. He also possess strong camping potential. Mudkip has the pros of being small, and like Kirby, has the possibility of ducking under certain projectiles.

Mudkip however, does have his problems. mostly due to the "glass" part in "glass cannon". He is very light, and thus can't take that many hits. Being at his worse around 100%. He also isn't that good in terms of defense close up, having issues with dis-jointed hitboxes and reflectors. Another thing about him is his poor recovery (with his only real option being Surf), and can be easily edge-guarded.

Overall, Mudkip is a very "hit but don't get it" kind of character. Loving space but hates pressure.
And in the right hands he can, and will, be devastating.
[/collapse]

Red: "Brendan's" Headband.
Blue: Mudkip himself...
Yellow: A Fisherman's hat with sunglasses in the front (Fisherman class from B/W/B2/W2).
Green: A Campers hat (Camper class from R/S/E).
Purple: Shiny Mudkip.
Dark Blue: A Swampert-like look.
I'm still trying to make it better, but it does at least show it can be done.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
You're lying. :smirk:
One anime character gets added to the roster, and then suddenly everyone doesn't want to buy the Nintendo Crossover of 2014.
I'm not lying. I would just stick to P:M if Smash 4 had Goku. One of those characters who constitutes a no-buy from me.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Same could be said be said for every Nintendo series. Personally, I would find that the character needs to have some form of popularity, importance, and other rules in Sakurai's criteria to be considered, and the most important rule uniqueness comes to mind if you're going to be a character.

Potential doesn't get you a spot in the roster on its own. I could also say that Mewtwo, being a technical newcomer this time around and thus likely to get the uniqueness treatment all the newcomers thus far have received, also has a lot of potential due to his psychic abilities.
I think he's going have the same moveset as in Melee as Sakurai already established his moveset.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Let's quit the Goku discussion. He's ineligible, so he really has no place in this thread.

So, anyone want to talk about Chibi-Robo?

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Let's quit the Goku discussion. He's ineligible, so he really has no place in this thread.

So, anyone want to talk about Chibi-Robo?
I know next to nothing about Chibi-Robo, but he seems popular. Please, give me a Special Moveset for him so I can see if I'd find him interesting. ^^

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Same could be said be said for every Nintendo series. Personally, I would find that the character needs to have some form of popularity, importance, and other rules in Sakurai's criteria to be considered, and the most important rule uniqueness comes to mind if you're going to be a character.

I think he's going have the same moveset as in Melee as Sakurai already established his moveset.
Movesets have been changed before for characters in-between games, and those characters weren't absent for a game. This presents the opportunity for Sakurai to reinvent Mewtwo, or at least buff him up. And anyway, Mewtwo was already pretty unique in Melee, so it's not like we need a different Pokemon character or a 6th one just for the sake of having a new unique character.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I know next to nothing about Chibi-Robo, but he seems popular. Please, give me a Special Moveset for him so I can see if I'd find him interesting. ^^
It's kind of funny...I asked because I'm in the process of working on one. :p
I'll give the basic idea and the Specials for now.

Chibi-Robo could be a "Turret-Fighter." In the games, Chibi-Robo has to plug into an outlet to recharge and gain energy. This would be more of a harmful thing in Smash, so to make him more true to his game mechanics, his Down Special would be to plug his cord into the stage itself. While in this state, he has limited movement options (only being able to go so far before the plug dislodges him from the stage), but his attacks get much more powerful. Other than him removing himself from the "outlet," he can be unplugged by a strong Smash attack. It is of note, though, that in this state, Chibi-Robo has reduced knockback done to him. Certain melee attacks include the use of his plug, but these are mainly aerials, so Chibi can't use Aerials while plugged in. Instead, he'd unplug himself.

His Neutral Special is the Chibi-Blaster, which is really helpful when plugged in, as it's a projectile. It has slight homing qualities. Chibi's Up Special is the Chibi-Copter, where he copters upwards with the propeller blades doing damage. Chibi-Robo's Side Special is the Toothbrush. Chibi vigorously sweeps the ground in front of him with a toothbrush, making that spot have less traction. If an opponent steps on that spot, they are far more likely to trip. As for a Final Smash, calling in Giga Robo from the first game to smash the stage could be neat.

Just the basic idea for now.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
@ Opossum Opossum
Nice timing.
Also, T´that actually sounds quite awesome, especially him pluggint himself into the stage. ^^ Thank you, O Mighty Opossum. I kinda want him now.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I've seen so many good character ideas that I don't even care anymore who gets in or not other than a few specifics.

Hard to explain but maybe you got it.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good afternoon fellow Smash enthusiasts, it's been a long time hasn't it? Well, I decided to come back and say hai. :p

Anyways, how've you all been? What's happened in the past couple of weeks? And...we're talking about Goku? Really? Wow...you guys must be bored out of your minds. Understandable at least, I mean, we've gone the entire month of March without a single character reveal, which in truth doesn't make any sense. I mean, there's no Nintendo Direct this month so it's not like he's waiting for something, and we already past most of the game release dates for March anyways. Yoshi's New Island, MGS3D anniversary and Ground Zeroes, and Pokemon Battle Trozei.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Chibi-Robo deserves to be in Smash, really hope we see him playable this time around.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
My proposed playstyle I made in the Uniqueness Tier List for Chibi, it was pretty fun making this overall:
Chibi Robo has plenty of things going for him, he has his killer Chibi Blaster, his toothbrush which could "clean" a surface to trip an opponent, his Chibi-Copter for his recovery, and a plug move which would allow Chibi to temporarily raise his stats to maximum. His main playstyle would have to be charging. When the battle starts or when he's KOed, his battery goes dead, leaving him into a slow in overall stats. The key to mastering Chibi Robo is to effectively be patient when it's time to charge. You are able to attack and move a little while plugged in, and the plug does benefit you since it would prevent you from flying across the screen. Use the tooth brush to take ove rthe stage, as you can make up to 4 of these slippery floors. The Chibi-Copter is a slow recovery, and it sacrifices his battery, so don't overuse the move for whatever reason.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Good afternoon fellow Smash enthusiasts, it's been a long time hasn't it? Well, I decided to come back and say hai. :p

Anyways, how've you all been? What's happened in the past couple of weeks? And...we're talking about Goku? Really? Wow...you guys must be bored out of your minds. Understandable at least, I mean, we've gone the entire month of March without a single character reveal, which in truth doesn't make any sense. I mean, there's no Nintendo Direct this month so it's not like he's waiting for something, and we already past most of the game release dates for March anyways. Yoshi's New Island, MGS3D anniversary and Ground Zeroes, and Pokemon Battle Trozei.
I think we'll see a random reveal this week, ala Marth in November. Hoping for Waro, Lucas, Ness, ROB, or Game and Watch. to be that random reveal.

April, I think will be a good month. If the newcomer pattern continues, we should see one there in a ND.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Don't worry, we're merely entertaining the idea of Goku in Smash. I suppose we don't have a lot to discuss at this point with no characters as of late, even though we did get hints towards the inclusion of Miis...

Although in regards to the bolded part there, I posted a theory in the predicting reveals thread that could possibly explain this situation. Keep in mind that this is simply a possible explanation for recent events that may or may not actually happen, but might as well consider it, I guess.

Hmm... I've been thinking lately, and I'm starting to wonder if the only character reveal we'll likely get at the end of the month could actually be the Pokemon Trainer. This is all just a theory, of course, but maybe the reason we haven't seen any character reveals this month is because the one planned to be revealed is actually three in one. We already know Sakurai treats the transformation characters as individuals, which is certainly the reason why Samus and Zelda were revealed solo (unless their transformations were cut, which I sort of doubt), but the Pokemon Trainer's pokemon are a little more tied together than other transformation characters. I mean, the whole reason the Pokemon Trainer himself is at all present is for the purpose of switching pokemon around, so I think that when (if) the character is revealed, it would be all at once. But that would be three characters in a single month. So, perhaps to compensate for this, they decided not to reveal any other characters to make room for the reveal of the Trainer. Maybe we'll even get lucky enough to start seeing three character reveals a month afterwards, but that's probably wishful thinking on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom