• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
True. But it still seems a bit enigmatic to me though. Why did he just say no...
Maybe to make no one wonder. He was being straight forward about it. Since he couldn't say yes, and he didn't want people to speculate with the phrase "I can't talk about that." He could possibly just want to straight up tell the truth.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Hmmm, some possibilities...

--He's telling the truth, and Chrom isn't in any sort of role demanding a VA
--He's telling the truth, and Chrom is being voiced by someone else
--He's lying and is voicing Chrom in some sort of role demanding a VA

Off the top of my head, not comprehensive.
The first two seem like the most likely, i don't think someone would outright lie about something like this.

Morbi

Scavenger
Even if he wasn't, why would he reveal something like that when it can mislead so many people. Say he is in, and then all of the anti-chrom people feel mislead.
That is assuming that he is being dishonest or that he somehow knows that Chrom is in the game voiced by someone else. If he was not contacted, he is not misleading anyone.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Oh another thing on a Voice Actor. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=51329271

The post says that Shulk's VA is in a game he can't talk about that trended on Twitter right after being announced. I don't know if X would be popular enough to trend or not. So it's between X and Smash Bros. I assume. I'm sorry if this has been said, but is Shulk returning in X or no?

Morbi

Scavenger
Oh another thing on a Voice Actor. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=51329271

The post says that Shulk's VA is in a game he can't talk about that trended on Twitter right after being announced. I don't know if X would be popular enough to trend or not. So it's between X and Smash Bros. I assume. I'm sorry if this has been said, but is Shulk returning in X or no?
I suppose there is a great chance that Shulk is in Smash Brothers. I suppose it depends on whether or not X was trending on Twitter; of course, if Shulk was in X, I would be even more surprised if he was not in Smash 4.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
When did he say no? My source says his quote was from late July of 2013, which presumably wouldn't have been too late to get vocals done for the character...or maybe too late, I'm not really sure when they'd get newcomer vocals done, since those can't just be ported over from previous games.
This is actually something I'm interested in: the whole process on how the voice acting is done. I would assume the VAs doing the lines themselves wouldn't take that long, but just getting the contracts done and whatnot beforehand.

I remember Pit's VA tweeted hinting that he's doing something for Smash 4. Was this in 2013? But I cannot remember if it's implied if he's done his recordings or not, and I can't find the tweet. Idk if this means anything.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
This is actually something I'm interested in: the whole process on how the voice acting is done. I would assume the VAs doing the lines themselves wouldn't take that long, but just getting the contracts done and whatnot beforehand.

Pit's VA tweeted hinting that he's doing something for Smash 4. Was this in 2013? But I cannot remember if it's implied that he's done his recordings or not, and I can't find the tweet. Idk if this means anything.
It really depends on how much acting they actually have to do.

Matching up with "flaps" and picking the correct dialogue to match those "flaps" can be a bit difficult. Myself being a aspiring voice actor I can say that this stuff takes time. I think he would be done recording by April if he was in the game. Heck, I would think they'd be done early 2014 late 2013 at the latest.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon

It seems the general consensus that we are still in a Limbo, speculation says he is not in but his son or probably a relative of his to continue the story, something like Golden Sun, other people think he receive some modern changes to get into HD era, for now there is no direct answer.

.n_n.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Interesting. I'd completely forgotten Kojima was hooked up to a lie detector the whole time.
Kojima knows if Snake is in the game or not. There's no way he doesn't at this point, what with being Snake's creator and buddies with Sakurai. What he said amounted to "I'm not sure if Snake is in or not, but I hope so!" Whether Snake is in or not, at the point in development that Kojima gave that answer, I'm confident he would have known Snake's fate.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Kojima knows if Snake is in the game or not. There's no way he doesn't at this point, what with being Snake's creator and buddies with Sakurai. What he said amounted to "I'm not sure if Snake is in or not, but I hope so!" Whether Snake is in or not, at the point in development that Kojima gave that answer, I'm confident he would have known Snake's fate.
I would agree with you. I think that if Snake is in the game, he likely knows. But honestly, regardless if he knows or not, I don't think they'd give it away without showing Snake in a trailer or in gameplay.

What else were we talking about? Chrom? I'm more than fine with just Ike and Marth. But if Chrom can offer anything, I'll be fine with him. Not too sure how to feel on the voice actor stuff, I mean, voices can change from game to game.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I would agree with you. I think that if Snake is in the game, he likely knows. But honestly, regardless if he knows or not, I don't think they'd give it away without showing Snake in a trailer or in gameplay.
What part of NDA don't you guys seem to really understand? I'm sure the guy's aware of where his intellectual property is being utilized pretty much at all times, so him giving a neutral answer just says 'I know but I can't say.'. That's the point of an NDA. You're not supposed to give ANY information, not even answer yes or no questions, 'cause that can give away information meant to be kept secret.

So Kojima says 'I plead the fifth.', well, you guys take it however you want to take it. No-one's going to be surprised if Snake is back, and no-one's going to be surprised if Snake is not. As far as I'm concerned, Snake was a fluke, a guy fulfilling the wish of his buddy and doing him a solid. There was pretty much no valid reason to have Snake in Brawl and, honestly, there's no valid reason to have him return, either. But I digress.

tl;dr: Kojima's neutral answer was because NDA; don't hold your breath for Snake's return, but don't be surprised if he does, either.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
What part of NDA don't you guys seem to really understand? I'm sure the guy's aware of where his intellectual property is being utilized pretty much at all times, so him giving a neutral answer just says 'I know but I can't say.'. That's the point of an NDA. You're not supposed to give ANY information, not even answer yes or no questions, 'cause that can give away information meant to be kept secret.

So Kojima says 'I plead the fifth.', well, you guys take it however you want to take it. No-one's going to be surprised if Snake is back, and no-one's going to be surprised if Snake is not. As far as I'm concerned, Snake was a fluke, a guy fulfilling the wish of his buddy and doing him a solid. There was pretty much no valid reason to have Snake in Brawl and, honestly, there's no valid reason to have him return, either. But I digress.

tl;dr: Kojima's neutral answer was because NDA; don't hold your breath for Snake's return, but don't be surprised if he does, either.
???

I don't know what you're trying to say.

I know what an NDA is. I've had to sign one in the past myself. And I know that if Snake is in the game, Kojima is probably under one.

I'm saying that, regardless of whether or not Snake is in the game, Kojima was lying through his teeth when he said he "didn't know" if Snake was in. Of course he knows if Snake is in the game, there's no reason he shouldn't.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
???

I don't know what you're trying to say.
From what I read in your posts, you folks seemed like blind guys groping for a light switch in a cave, so I just kinda assumed you were stumped by the obvious response Kojima gave when asked about Snake.

I guess I also find it kinda silly that people would concern themselves about someone else lying about something they're going to find out about eventually anyway.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My confidence in Snake comes from the fact that I believe there is a connection between The Phantom Pain and Nintendo's conference on Tuesday. I could be wrong, but I freaking hope I'm not.

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302

WTF did I just read. >__<

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Regarding the reddit post about asking Matt Mercer whether or not he was contacted to voice Chrom in SSB4, I'd say that the reddit post id irrelevant, for a number of reasons, including:
1)The redditor could have made the post up, meaning its fake. I'm sure that due to the number of fake leaks we've had here on SWF, that post could very well be fake.
2)Why would Matt Mercer tell people he voiced Chrom in SSB4? For all we know, he COULD have provided the voice for Chrom already, and signed a contract to not openly discuss his role until Chrom's reveal
3)Perhaps Sakurai just reused quotes and Sound effects from Awakening.

wildvine47

Smash Ace

Yo so I saw this on Tumblr, think it's subtle confirmation that our robotic buddy is coming back in Smash 4. Not that he was ever really in danger anyhow.
From over at the General thread by yours truly. It's from Tomodachi Life, where ROB is a room decoration.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
If Mercer was voicing Chrom in this game, he'd have to be under an NDA until Chrom's confirmation.

It's like with Kojima's interview from a while back. They can't tell the truth so they have to make something up.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Regarding the reddit post about asking Matt Mercer whether or not he was contacted to voice Chrom in SSB4, I'd say that the reddit post id irrelevant, for a number of reasons, including:
1)The redditor could have made the post up, meaning its fake. I'm sure that due to the number of fake leaks we've had here on SWF, that post could very well be fake.
2)Why would Matt Mercer tell people he voiced Chrom in SSB4? For all we know, he COULD have provided the voice for Chrom already, and signed a contract to not openly discuss his role until Chrom's reveal
3)Perhaps Sakurai just reused quotes and Sound effects from Awakening.
1. There are multiple articles, one from April 2014 saying that he pointed out that he wasn't asked by Nintendo to voice Chrom. So it's not just a redditor.
2. Why would he lie? He could just say "I can't say anything" or "No comment"
3. No, there are various other sound effects and quotes that would need to be redone or be made. He needs to match Chrom's "flaps" like how they dub anime, and they don't have those for quotes that he didn't say it cut scenes. Plus, grunts, gasps, hurt sounds, etc all need to be made.

I went over all this stuff on this page and the previous page already. Read at least a little bit around before jumping to something we just went over next time. I can understand if it was 10, even 5 pages. But it's on the previous page.

Re-usage of voice clips that haven't been timed to flaps doesn't look good and wouldn't work. People need to understand that.

Last edited:

Starbound

Why would he lie? He could just say "I can't say anything" or "No comment"
Except saying something like these would instantly raise a red flag as everyone would know that he's hiding something.

By choosing to say No, he makes himself look much less suspicious.

Starbound

If anyone is really bothered by it, he can always explain the situation to them post release.

Though to be honest, most people are aware that sharing classified content from anything can result in anything from monetary fines to loss of job so they'd understand that he had to lie to save his own skin.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Hmmm, some possibilities...

--He's telling the truth, and Chrom isn't in any sort of role demanding a VA
--He's telling the truth, and Chrom is being voiced by someone else
--He's lying and is voicing Chrom in some sort of role demanding a VA

Off the top of my head, not comprehensive.
So, in short, certainly slightly effects Chrom's likelihood at this given point of time, but is nothing to put stock in, since option 2 or 3 are still viable possibilities (I wouldn't put Robin or Lucina more likely yet, anyway).

And with Snake, he's very much up in the air, even with the recent (and possibly coincidental) e3 news, he still has very little going for him and very little going against him.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Best things about the second Sal leak being fake (if it is, which I doubt, but still):

1) Chrom isn't playable. We can have a better FE rep.
2) More surprises.

Worst things about it:

1) Shulk's chances plummet.
2) No Chorus Kids. I was actually getting hyped for them.

Morbi

Scavenger
Best things about the second Sal leak being fake (if it is, which I doubt, but still):

1) Chrom isn't playable. We can have a better FE rep.
2) More surprises.

Worst things about it:

1) Shulk's chances plummet.
2) No Chorus Kids. I was actually getting hyped for them.
Why do Shulk's chances plummet if the leak is fake?

bilbo43

Smash Cadet
So... There's a real possibility that the second Sal leak is FAKE!?!?

There's a strong possibility that they fluked the first one. Noone will know for sure but them.

If they predicted all the characters good on them. Nothing is confirmed until nintendo releases the character themselves. Its only because they have noted a few characters that were confirmed that we seem to use it as a possible credible leak

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Do people seriously think the Sal leak is fake because Chrom's voice actor wasn't contacted as of April 2013???

Seriously? That doesn't make ANY sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom