• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
My support chart:

Yeah... there's tons of people in D-tier. :p
There's something that I don't quite get about this... You always say how you love characters that are considered to be less than likely that can offer something unique to Smash, but then you support characters like Chrom and Dixie Kong (two characters thought to be likely yet receive criticism for not offering much new), and apparently hate characters like King K. Rool and Robin (characters who have obstacles in their way of making onto the roster, yet have so much unique potential). So why is that?

Morbi

Scavenger
There's something that I don't quite get about this... You always say how you love characters that are considered to be less than likely that can offer something unique to Smash, but then you support characters like Chrom and Dixie Kong (two characters thought to be likely yet receive criticism for not offering much new), and apparently hate characters like King K. Rool and Robin (characters who have obstacles in their way of making onto the roster, yet have so much unique potential). So why is that?
I am also curious about this; I assume King K. Rool is driven by BluePikmin's inherent need to be a hipster (I do not blame him there), but Chrom above Robin is one of the most questionable choices I have seen out of his speculation (as again, it contradicts his perspective that characters should be more unique and that obscure characters offer variety whereas typical characters do not necessarily do the same).

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
My support for Robin became minimal when the second part of the Gematsu leak had Chrom in it, I personally don't think Robin is the best FE newcomer out there and it would feel awfully strange now if Sakurai chose him over the easily marketable lord.
As for King K. Rool, ever since playing Tropical Freeze, I wanted Dixie Kong as a playable character much more, turning my support for K. Rool into a crumb.

Morbi

Scavenger
My support for Robin became minimal when the second part of the Gematsu leak had Chrom in it, I personally don't think Robin is the best FE newcomer out there and it would feel awfully strange now if Sakurai chose him over the easily marketable lord.
As for King K. Rool, ever since playing Tropical Freeze, I wanted Dixie Kong as a playable character much more, turning my support for K. Rool into a crumb.
Ah, I had almost forgotten that you were an adamant supporter of the Gematsu leak. I would assert that Anna is sitting comfortablly at A Tier, but I already know that she is your jam.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, Greninja wasn't exactly marketed...

So, if I understand correctly, you support characters who you believe to be inevitable, is that right?

Morbi

Scavenger
People talking about ****ty characters.
That is what this thread is for, is it not?

Well, Greninja wasn't exactly marketed...

So, if I understand correctly, you support characters who you believe to be inevitable, is that right?
I do precisely the same, I was not necessarily a Ridley supporter prior to the Direct (despite wanting him).

Aeolia

Smash Cadet
In an alternate universe Sakurai stated that Fire Emblem characters would not appear after Awakening sold 1000 copies and we are just writing petitions and begging to have Marth back.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Speaking of ****ty characters....
View attachment 15598
The Great Mighty Poo is SO UNIQUE.

No other character uses an entire moveset of ****.

He can spin his **** like a helicopter. He can trip your feet with ****. He can grab and throw you with ****. He can smack you around with ****. He can make the **** hard and pointy and stab you with it. We have no **** characters yet. He can also use opera and sweet corn.

SO UNIQUE/10

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

He can spin his **** like a helicopter. He can trip your feet with ****. He can grab and throw you with ****. He can smack you around with ****. He can make the **** hard and pointy and stab you with it. We have no **** characters yet. He can also use opera and sweet corn.

SO UNIQUE/10
Holy ****.

I'm not sorry.

Weeman

Smash Crusader

SO UNIQUE/10
HUGE SUPPLY OF **** OUT OF HIS CHOCOLATE STARFISH/10

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I finally got my hands on Awakening(my brother bought it so I've been playing a little). And I must say, I actually like Chrom as of now. However, I still prefer Robin and Anna over him. I'm on Chapter 11 so I have much more to do.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I don't see the problem here.
I could see you saying that if it was Chrom, but Robin?

I know you don't think Chrom is a good idea because you find him bland, but what about Robin/The Avatar? Still bland? What about the veteran Roy? (most likely bland, but just asking anyway)
Medeus? Anna?

You might've answered this already to people somewhere, but why are you against "all" the FE newcomers? (or at least the notable ones who have some importance in the games/series)
Pretty sure you're a huge fan of FE, but it's a bit odd.

Is it because there are far too many choices to pick, like Pokemon?

Ask him about Shulk; as far as I am aware, that is the only character that he cares about.
But I want Shulk and Xenoblade content, so I have nothing to ask there. :p

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
A potato would be an amazing character over Robin.
I disagree, good sir.

I could see you saying that if it was Chrom, but Robin?

I know you don't think Chrom is a good idea because you find him bland, but what about Robin/The Avatar? Still bland? What about the veteran Roy? (most likely bland, but just asking anyway)
Medeus? Anna?

You might've answered this already to people somewhere, but why are you against "all" the FE newcomers? (or at least the notable ones who have some importance in the games/series)

Is it because there are far too many choices to pick, like Pokemon?
Ask him about Shulk; as far as I am aware, that is the only character that he cares about.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
:facepalm: Poor Robin is being outshined be a pile of **** and a potato. Lovely.
Aww, don't listen to these meanies here.

I'm sure Robin would be an interesting addition. Not that I'm a huge supporter or anything, but I'd take Robin over Chrom any day (and I don't mind if Robin's our Awakening character. The other Awakening characters I'd love to see don't really have a chance tbh).

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Aww, don't listen to these meanies here.

I'm sure Robin would be an interesting addition. Not that I'm a huge supporter or anything, but I'd take Robin over Chrom any day (and I don't mind if Robin's our Awakening character. The other Awakening characters I'd love to see don't really have a chance tbh).
I agree I do find Robin a very cool character and one I would love to see in game but I'm afraid an Avatar character like Robin wont make it in.
I know that they could make him/her fit like WFT and Villager but it seems that the male and female versions are meant to be you and you can't make YOU if you're stuck with specific palettes I don't know maybe it's just me...
Plus I think people are writing Chrom off a little to quickly I mean he could be very unique if Sakurai puts him in.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I agree I do find Robin a very cool character and one I would love to see in game but I'm afraid an Avatar character like Robin wont make it in.
I know that they could make him/her fit like WFT and Villager but it seems that the male and female versions are meant to be you and you can't make YOU if you're stuck with specific palettes I don't know maybe it's just me...
Plus I think people are writing Chrom off a little to quickly I mean he could be very unique if Sakurai puts him in.
I am not writing off Chrom because he is not unique enough, Robin is just inherently more interesting. She offers a lot more in terms of diversity. Not only is she not a blue-haired Lord, but she could be a female by default. Of course there is also the most prevalent aspect to her requests, her move-set potential which offers magic. I suppose I envision the roster selection screen. Aesthetics are a horrible reason to discredit a character, but at the same time, Wolf was the more ideal choice, I would argue that he was more prominent. But we got Falco. It matters to an extent.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I am not writing off Chrom because he is not unique enough, Robin is just inherently more interesting. She offers a lot more in terms of diversity. Not only is she not a blue-haired Lord, but she could be a female by default. Of course there is also the most prevalent aspect to her requests, her move-set potential which offers magic. I suppose I envision the roster selection screen. Aesthetics are a horrible reason to discredit a character, but at the same time, Wolf was the more ideal choice, I would argue that he was more prominent. But we got Falco. It matters to an extent.
I wasn't directing that at anyone in particular and while I wouldn't care which one it is it seems like the three, in my opinion, most likely in order most likely to least likely is sadly Robin<Lucina<Chrom.
My only hope is like you said that it is not the blue haired Lord, if it was the blue-haired female lord that is perfectly fine.
My most wanted in order are Robin=Lucina>Chrom but it is seeming a little unlikely that Chrom wont be in it.
I hope I'm dead wrong and Robin or Lucina make it in.
I also hope everyone else is wrong about Takamaru and Snake being out but that's a conversation for another time.

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
Potato moveset.
Jab: Potato
Fairly standard jab combo.

Utilt: Potato
Ftilt: Potato
Dtilt: Potato
All tilts are fairly fast and can lead into combos well, demonstrating Potato's speed and finesse.

Fsmash: Potato
Potato reels back and then potatoes in front of itself. Slow to come out, but good range and decent power.
Usmash: Potato
Potato potatoes into the air. Fairly average move.
Dsmash: Potato
The ground potato. Sends opponent flying to the side.

Nair: Potato
Potato potatoes without even looking. 5 hits.
Dair: Underpotato
The unfortunate opponent below Potato is potatoed. Meteor smash.
Uair: Overpotato
The area above Potato is potatoed with the force of about seven and a half potato. High upwards knockback in the sweetspot, lower angled knockback in the sourspots.
Fair: Potato in the front
Potato potato potato potato potato. Fast with low knockback. Quite spammable.
Bair: Potato in the trunk
Potato releases potato from behind. Yes.

Neutral B: Potato
Potato has nothing better to do.
Side B: Potato
Controlled ranged attack, similar to Din's Fire. Hard to control, but high damage and can potato the opponent.
Up B: Potato to the sky
Potato floats up with potato for somewhat mediocre recovery, but can deal plenty of damage in multiple hits.
Down B: Wonder potato
Pushes opponents back and deals a decent amount of damage in a small area around Potato.

Final Smash: Potato
Potato.
Open to critique. Please let me know if it seems unbalanced or if there's anything that doesn't seem quite true to who Potato is as a potato.

TheLippyLapras

Smash Journeyman
Sitting on a chair, letting my eyes burn.
Potato moveset.
Jab: Potato
Fairly standard jab combo.

Utilt: Potato
Ftilt: Potato
Dtilt: Potato
All tilts are fairly fast and can lead into combos well, demonstrating Potato's speed and finesse.

Fsmash: Potato
Potato reels back and then potatoes in front of itself. Slow to come out, but good range and decent power.
Usmash: Potato
Potato potatoes into the air. Fairly average move.
Dsmash: Potato
The ground potato. Sends opponent flying to the side.

Nair: Potato
Potato potatoes without even looking. 5 hits.
Dair: Underpotato
The unfortunate opponent below Potato is potatoed. Meteor smash.
Uair: Overpotato
The area above Potato is potatoed with the force of about seven and a half potato. High upwards knockback in the sweetspot, lower angled knockback in the sourspots.
Fair: Potato in the front
Potato potato potato potato potato. Fast with low knockback. Quite spammable.
Bair: Potato in the trunk
Potato releases potato from behind. Yes.

Neutral B: Potato
Potato has nothing better to do.
Side B: Potato
Controlled ranged attack, similar to Din's Fire. Hard to control, but high damage and can potato the opponent.
Up B: Potato to the sky
Potato floats up with potato for somewhat mediocre recovery, but can deal plenty of damage in multiple hits.
Down B: Wonder potato
Pushes opponents back and deals a decent amount of damage in a small area around Potato.

Final Smash: Potato
Potato.
Open to critique. Please let me know if it seems unbalanced or if there's anything that doesn't seem quite true to who Potato is as a potato.
I think it might be a little too underpotato.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Here is the Smashboards List for Most TALKED About Characters, Which Means Replies:
  1. Ridley = 31,397
  2. King K. Rool = 9,244
  3. Palutena = 4,246
  4. Bandana Dee = 3,309
  5. Pac-Man = 3,283
  6. Isaac = 2,911
  7. Shulk = 2,809
  8. Krystal = 2,427
  9. Robin (Tactician) = 2,371
  10. Chrom = 2,368

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Have a roster!

I made this roster with a mindset of reasonable optimism. Rate it on how satisfied you would be and tell me what changes you would make.

Explanations:
King K. Rool is kooler than Dixie kould ever be.
Even if Ganon isn't necessarily likely, I think most people would enjoy playing as him. I know I would.
Takamaru will always be my retro of choice. What's not to love about him?
Ridley is awesome.
Palutena is awesome.
Either Anna or Robin would be cool for Fire Emblem...I chose Anna because I wanted to show off the Anna icon I made I had a better icon of Anna. Robin could easily take her spot.
Miis are attached to Villager for minimum rage!
Pac-Man will never be removed from my rosters.
I didn't put Snake on here for the same reason I didn't put Toad on here. I think it's unlikely that Snake is in this time. I could easily be wrong, though. Feel free to make this a negative point for satisfaction.
11/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom