• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Did anybody hear about the newest leak that was just revealed? It basically reveals all that is planned to be shown at e3, including the remakes of 3rd gen, Xenosaga, Smash, a new IP, a new Metroid, and a new Star Fox. I know it could just be utter BS, but it could bring up some interesting character discussions.

http://gameotakublog.wordpress.com/2014/05/10/leaked-nintendo-digital-event-2014/

(Thanks @Tillie-152 )
Forgetting Hyrule Warriors already has a trailer, and showing a trailer for game that is/will be already released by E3.

I have my doubts.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I'm perfectly fine with Kirby how it is, Kirby, Meta Knight, and King Dedede are three of my most favorite characters, there really is no need for anyone else.

Now personally, if Kirby got a fourth rep, I'd prefer just about anyone else other than a Waddle Dee I've incurred the wrath of Chandelure.

I don't really get it either, he's never really shown any personality (unless it was in one of the games I missed), he's just an enemy turned good that's not really all that distinctive. I could understand if he had any sort of good traits, but I just don't see anything about him that says "lovable favorite character." I almost wonder if people want him solely for the fact that he was playable in Return to Dream Land, I can't think of any other reasons. Please don't spear me Bandana Fans.

No, don't worry, I respect other people's opinions

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Bandana Dee would be awesome in my opinion, and I could see Kirby getting a fourth character.

IceyBeef

The Supreme Beef Lord
3DS FC
5069-4117-1821
All I know so far about smash 4 is that Wii Fit Trainer, and Greninja are going to be overpowered AF

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
All I know so far about smash 4 is that Wii Fit Trainer, and Greninja are going to be overpowered AF
What makes you say that? We barely know anything about WFT's moveset. As for Greninja, his moves don't really look OP, I'd say he's just really swift and difficult to hit. Also, Sakurai mentioned that he'd be tricky to control.

IceyBeef

The Supreme Beef Lord
3DS FC
5069-4117-1821
What makes you say that? We barely know anything about WFT's moveset. As for Greninja, his moves don't really look OP, I'd say he's just really swift and difficult to hit. Also, Sakurai mentioned that he'd be tricky to control.
Trust me, we have seen a lot of WFT's movesets if you have not seen the Nintendo Directs. Her Moves can lead to lots of combos. As for Greninja, you cant disagree he will be top tier

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, Meta Knight could put them to shame for all we know. :p

It's too early to say. Let the games come out first.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Here's the link to the poll, and here's the link to supporting information about the poll. Basically, characters were divided into "popular" and "unique" categories for heaven knows what reason, and chosen on that basis, partially thanks to the poll.
LOL, Prince Richard has more votes than Pit. Is that supposed to say Prince Sable? Seems weird that the rival would be on there and not the protagonist.

Donbe, Hikari, Dion, Max, and Jack have more votes than the Ice Climbers or Balloon Fighter...

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Pokemon Talk.

It's probably going to get over with quickly because it's not about Mewtwo or Grovyle,but Hoenn.

Anyways,I've been going over Pokemon and thinking about a creative Pokemon that hasn't been used before.

Then Dusknoir came in (Okay,it was introduced in Sinnoh,but the Duskull family was introduced in Hoenn,so it counts,I guess.)

A ghost type Pokemon that I thought would be pretty creative in a way. I'm not using Gengar or the Coffin Pokemon because I though Dusknoir would seem more fitting. Let's begin.

:GCA: moves
AAA - Left Swing,Right Swing,Headbutt

Dash - Slam

Side Tilt - Shadow Claw
Down Tilt - A small paranormal fire (purple fire)
Up Tilt - A non-aerial flip with a flare behind

Neutral Air - Dusknoir spread out his two hands to hit nearby opponents
Down Air - A downward Shadow Claw
Up Air - Dusknoir points his finger up in the air,again with a flare following.
Side Air - Scratch (Shut up,it's not Shadow Claw atleast)

Side Smash - Sucker Punch
Up Smash - Sword's Dance (Four Swords attack the foe)
Down Smash - Mud Slap (Dusknoir slam into the ground,causing two pieces of the Earth to fling off.)

:GCB: moves
Neutral B - Glare (Stops the opponent for a free attack,can also damage.)
Side B - Sludge Bomb (Not sure if it can learn this move,if not,tell me. Also,no Shadow Ball.)
Down B - Dark Pulse (Can not only damage a foe,but push them away,has Meteor Smash effect in air)
Up B - Bind (Swirls up in the air,no horizontal distance. Can trap enemies and bring them up with Dusknoir)

Final Smash - Curse (Depends on how much damage it has taken. Say Dusknoir used this move with 60% damage,so all enemies recieve 60% damage when it strikes,sending them flying. But this costs Dusknoir half the damge,30%. So now Dusknoir has 90% damage,and can be easily KO'd now unlike his 60% state.)

Taunt 1 - A red light twinkles from Dusknoir's eye.
Taunt 2 - Swagger
Taunt 3 - A battle cry
Dusknoir? Cool. I could imagine him being a somewhat bulky fighter (although a bit sluggish), but also having some good approaching moves. Perhaps even unique grabs/punch moves. I don't know that much about this pokemon, but here's some more ideas from what I know...

One thing to note is the unique characteristics Dusknoir has, which can potentially distinguish him from other Ghost types. This ghost's pattern on his stomach looks mouth-like, and his body can open up. There seems to be some strange power inside, which can be utilized for Smash in anyway you like actually. Here's some pics:

So, moveset wise, perhaps Dusknoir can fire Shadow Balls/other moves when he opens up (for various standard moves/whatever). Or have a move where he grabs, then trap opponents in, damaging and spitting them out after. Or perhaps when he opens, a vacuum-like wave comes out, sucking opponents in if they're in the way or just bringing opponents closer to you = easier making combos. Kinda like there's a black hole inside... The sky's the limit really...

Dusknoir seems to have connection to the spirit world -- he can communicate and travel into the world. Other ideas for a Final Smash could be having him open the gates to the spirit world, summing ghosts/spirits to attacking everyone. Or have him drag opponents into the world, disappear, and then bring them back dealing heavy damage. This idea of utilizing the spirit world could also be used in his regular moveset.

The spirit world!?

Oooh! freaky...

These are just some ideas, I like how your moveset is diverse in different type moves. I mean Dusknoir can use more than Ghost-type moves, no? Elemental punches ftw!

Sorry, it's just that Pokemon talk all seems to be the same things -- it's nice to have fresh ideas that we don't see too often... Yeah, we know, Dusknoir ain't getting in. But it's fun coming up with ideas. I think Dusknoir could make a cool Pokeball or stage cameo (he has an important role in that Mystery Dungeon game anyway, right?).

Last edited:

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
So...with MUCH thought, I made an "expected" roster. This roster is a bit different from the norm as it involves DLC characters. I also used the Sal leak or whatever it's referred as in order to fill in spots. I'll explain a few of the questionable picks after you look at the roster. Here it is:

Expected Roster Roster.png

As I stated earlier, I used the Sal leak to fill in some spots. I know the leaker said "Chorus Men" however we all know that Sakurai said he had trouble with Ice Climbers a duo, but with Rosalina and Luma it's quite obvious that the duo problem has been fixed. I can't possibly imagine Sakurai saying, "Well guys, we found a way to make a duo work...now let's figure out a trio." It just seems impossible. Not to forget that this is the same leaker who used the terms "Animal Crossing Guy" and "Pokemon from X and Y" to say Villager and Greninja so it's very possible that the leaker meant Marshall but used "Chorus Men."

King K Rool, Isaac, Krystal and Takamaru were not on the leaker's list but the same can be said for the already confirmed Rosalina and Luma so the possibility of the leaker not knowing other newcomers is very possible and these 4 are the most likely newcomers. K Rool as he appears to be the fan favorite and most wanted. Isaac, in similar fashion to Little Mac, was heavily requested for Brawl but was reduced to an unlockable Assist trophy. It appears that Little Mac will be a starting character and in Brawl he was a starting AT, so it's possible that Issac being an unlockable AT in Brawl is an unlockable character in Smash 4. Krystal has the pattern of Sakurai adding a new StarFox character every game and with many fans wanting Krystal to show off some character diversity from StarFox...so she seems likely. It also seems like a fan consensus that Takamaru is the most likely Retro addition.

There are four 3rd party characters on the roster and for good reason. With Namco working on the game, it would seem odd if Sakurai left off arguably the second most recognizable videogame icon, Pacman. Now Bayonetta has the last spot for obvious reason. Nintendo owns the exclusive rights to Bayonetta 2 plus the fact that Sakurai did visit Platinum Studios and we all know that he didn't have to do that for Wonderful 101 as Nintendo owns that IP as well as the recent miiverse post showing of Wonder Red as a trophy. I doubt he went over there for trophy designs! Also, what better way to promote Bayonetta 2 than putting her in Smash. And they can put her in without having her clothes stripping off to attack (kinda the same way how they made sure Snake didn't use guns.)

Finally, let me explain the bottom line of characters. I'm 100% sure we will be getting downloadable characters and I'm near positive the first one will be Mewtwo. I say this because what way will Sakurai be able to hype up the Wii U version when it comes out months after the 3DS version? Smash's main appeal are the characters. I doubt a new game mode would be enough to really hype it up so it would need something BIG and what would be bigger than Mewtwo? I also think this will be a way to hold off on certain newcomers as well as give Sakurai and his dev team more time to alter the semi-clones who really need to be better differentiated from the originals that they clone. The only reason Toon Link can be left out of that equation is due to his game physic being VERY different from Link's, though I wish his specials were different. Ike is in the DLC as is seems to be a pattern to have the new FE rep replace the old, but Ike has an original moveset so he could and most likely will comeback that way, Roy is also very possible for DLC.

Anyways, this is pretty much what I honestly think will happen.

Oh yeah, let me address Ridley. I've seen a lot of people say Ridley can still be playable since Sakurai didn't show Ridley's full body. Can that be possible? Yes. However, no one mentions the fact that Sakurai was using the Wii U version to showoff everything with the exception of 3DS exclusives like the 3DS stages and Smash Run. So with the Wii U version nowhere near as complete as the 3DS version it is very possible that Ridley's development as a boss wasn't anywhere near complete like the Yellow Devil. So I lean more towards Ridley NOT being playable.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well, Meta Knight could put them to shame for all we know. :p

It's too early to say. Let the games come out first.
I would expect a minor nerf,but a buff on his speed. (About up to CPT.Falcon speed.)

Also,SullyPwnz.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
So...with MUCH thought, I made an "expected" roster. This roster is a bit different from the norm as it involves DLC characters. I also used the Sal leak or whatever it's referred as in order to fill in spots. I'll explain a few of the questionable picks after you look at the roster. Here it is:

View attachment 13943

As I stated earlier, I used the Sal leak to fill in some spots. I know the leaker said "Chorus Men" however we all know that Sakurai said he had trouble with Ice Climbers a duo, but with Rosalina and Luma it's quite obvious that the duo problem has been fixed. I can't possibly imagine Sakurai saying, "Well guys, we found a way to make a duo work...now let's figure out a trio." It just seems impossible. Not to forget that this is the same leaker who used the terms "Animal Crossing Guy" and "Pokemon from X and Y" to say Villager and Greninja so it's very possible that the leaker meant Marshall but used "Chorus Men."

King K Rool, Isaac, Krystal and Takamaru were not on the leaker's list but the same can be said for the already confirmed Rosalina and Luma so the possibility of the leaker not knowing other newcomers is very possible and these 4 are the most likely newcomers. K Rool as he appears to be the fan favorite and most wanted. Isaac, in similar fashion to Little Mac, was heavily requested for Brawl but was reduced to an unlockable Assist trophy. It appears that Little Mac will be a starting character and in Brawl he was a starting AT, so it's possible that Issac being an unlockable AT in Brawl is an unlockable character in Smash 4. Krystal has the pattern of Sakurai adding a new StarFox character every game and with many fans wanting Krystal to show off some character diversity from StarFox...so she seems likely. It also seems like a fan consensus that Takamaru is the most likely Retro addition.

There are four 3rd party characters on the roster and for good reason. With Namco working on the game, it would seem odd if Sakurai left off arguably the second most recognizable videogame icon, Pacman. Now Bayonetta has the last spot for obvious reason. Nintendo owns the exclusive rights to Bayonetta 2 plus the fact that Sakurai did visit Platinum Studios and we all know that he didn't have to do that for Wonderful 101 as Nintendo owns that IP as well as the recent miiverse post showing of Wonder Red as a trophy. I doubt he went over there for trophy designs! Also, what better way to promote Bayonetta 2 than putting her in Smash. And they can put her in without having her clothes stripping off to attack (kinda the same way how they made sure Snake didn't use guns.)

Finally, let me explain the bottom line of characters. I'm 100% sure we will be getting downloadable characters and I'm near positive the first one will be Mewtwo. I say this because what way will Sakurai be able to hype up the Wii U version when it comes out months after the 3DS version? Smash's main appeal are the characters. I doubt a new game mode would be enough to really hype it up so it would need something BIG and what would be bigger than Mewtwo? I also think this will be a way to hold off on certain newcomers as well as give Sakurai and his dev team more time to alter the semi-clones who really need to be better differentiated from the originals that they clone. The only reason Toon Link can be left out of that equation is due to his game physic being VERY different from Link's, though I wish his specials were different. Ike is in the DLC as is seems to be a pattern to have the new FE rep replace the old, but Ike has an original moveset so he could and most likely will comeback that way, Roy is also very possible for DLC.

Oh yeah, let me address Ridley. I've seen a lot of people say Ridley can still be playable since Sakurai didn't show Ridley's full body. Can that be possible? Yes. However, no one mentions the fact that Sakurai was using the Wii U version to showoff everything with the exception of 3DS exclusives like the 3DS stages and Smash Run. So with the Wii U version nowhere near as complete as the 3DS version it is very possible that Ridley's development as a boss wasn't anywhere near complete like the Yellow Devil. So I lean more towards Ridley NOT being playable.
I'm always a fan or rosters with DLC, but why do you think it's likely? I'm just curious.
This is a very nice roster, though I have a couple of thoughts about it:
-I think fans will be really angry if Mewtwo isn't in the packaged game.
-I can't justify the inclusion of Krystal based on some minor "pattern" we have seen. Plus we have not seen a new (not 3d) stair fox game since 2006.
-Just being curious again, but is there any particular reason that snake is DLC?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I want to talk about Devil.

Mainly because of what page we're on :troll:

Anyways,will it be useless again,or what?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Wait,why not talk about Giratina,he lives below the surface into a world of perishing King Boo? He fits for this,right?

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Wait,why not talk about Giratina,he lives below the surface into a world of perishing King Boo? He fits for this,right?
Well most of the people already know that King Boo won't happen:drshrug:, unless you want to talk about possible AT:drohmy:, then yeah he fits...:drohyou:

Something evil may be revealed soon; Hades assist trophy perhaps? I wanted him playable, but whatever.
He's cool and all:drifloon: but IMO Medusa is a better option when talking about KI villains :drflip:

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Well most of the people already know that King Boo won't happen:drshrug:, unless you want to talk about possible AT:drohmy:, then yeah he fits...:drohyou:

He's cool and all:drifloon: but IMO Medusa is a better option when talking about KI villains :drflip:
Well to be honest Hades manage to be more significant that Medusa in undoubtedly the most vital game in kid Icarus history of survival in the game market. As well as hades show casing way more for move set potential than medusa. but this is all opinionated.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I think you guys are missing someone for the 666th page
I wonder who.
I would prefer Hades as a boss tho, specially if he trolls you every time you die

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

View attachment 13943

Taking Falco, Lucas, and Ike out but adding Bayonetta? I smell serious bull**** right here

Am I the only one thinking Medusa and Hades might appear in Adventure Mode somehow?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

View attachment 13943

I looked at your

Here are the probelems with your characters

Bayonetta: no just no 3 third partys is most like and whats going to happen and sakurai was only visiting platinum for a quick second he definatly was not talking about a platinum character and ofocarse sonic is sega like her so only 1 rep per third party

Takamaru: i would agree but sorry greninja just pulverizes his chances (the only way takamaru will get in at this point is due to takamaru being a luigifyed greninja)

No ridley: The Ridley for Super Smash Brothers for Wii U / 3DS Thread

The Ridley for Super Smash Brothers for Wii U / 3DS Thread go look at those please. With a cherry one top

Isaac: well yes he survived the assist trophys but im 60% sure that hes going to be a assist trophy again

Kystal: im sorry but she ruins a likely roster due to her replacing falco make her and falco wpswitch places (kystal dlc and falco non dlc then its likely)

Mewtwo: where do i begin
1# we had 6 playables in brawl not 4 so it does not stay to number with mario reps

2 # hes ben premoting stuff to the roof

3# how are you guys/girls so sure that sakurai is trying to make us think mewtwo is deconfirmed again so he less expected for a better reaction just like with ridley

4# the mega hint from the interview when the guy asked about mewtwo in ssb4 and sakurai said we are considering it

5# mewtwo was supose to be in all of the smash bros games of existance especially brawl since he was so close to complete for smash bros brawl

Everyone else fine (well can be any rythem heaven character for the marhsal spot)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm just going to guess that in celebration of the 666th page, we'll talk about what we should discuss for the occasion rather than actually discuss anything.

But how about a little controversy?

I don't think Miis will be in Smash.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Miis will be in Smash and will definitely have a surprisingly unique moveset that most people don't craft in their minds.
I think Miis definitely could have a unique move set, but I don't think they will be in Smash.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Miis are the Scrappy Doo of the Super Smash Bros. speculation scene. So hatred is to be expected.

Anyone who thinks that Takamaru would be a Greninja clone must be seriously delusional. :rolleyes:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If you are willing to overcome their bland looking models and instead look at what they can offer for a moveset, they could potentially be one of the most creative characters Sakurai has ever produced.
I have no doubts about that. I think they could be great characters with completely unique play styles, and are fully justified to be in Smash.

What I'm arguing, however, is that they won't be in Smash. I'm not arguing that they'd be bad additions or boring characters. As a Mii supporter, I think they would be fine additions to the roster. But I don't find them likely anymore.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
What I'm arguing, however, is that they won't be in Smash. I'm not arguing that they'd be bad additions or boring characters. As a Mii supporter, I think they would be fine additions to the roster. But I don't find them likely anymore.
What's your reasons then? That Sakurai won't have the creative mind he has to make Mii interesting?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I have no doubts about that. I think they could be great characters with completely unique play styles, and are fully justified to be in Smash.

Salromano leak is looking clearer you know... Miis could very well be in Smash4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom