• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yeah, the fact that the Kremlings are being acknowledged is boosting my confidence, but not by much. Gotta stay realistic.
Well, it is a rather nice boost to his chances. After all, it means that the games and time period K. Rool was big in, the same time that the Kremlings appeared in, is being acknowledged. What that essentially means is that the idea that he's irrelevant has much less basis. If the Kremlings are being acknowledged as they are, then K. Rool is almost certainly being thought of, and, due to the many attributes he has going for him as a Smash candidate, is likely being considered for a spot on the roster. At least, that's how I interpret it.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Ehh, the original had it's roster issues too.
The fact Ness (and to a lesser extent, Falcon) got in over a second Zelda character was rather odd. Not to mention Luigi and Jigglypuff got in over Bowser and Mewtwo, respectively.
Not to add fuel to the "reps" fire, but Sakurai was also planning on adding his own character in Dedede before a second character from either Zelda or DK, both unequivocally larger series. But he's still not biased because he said he's not! He swears!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Ehh, the original had it's roster issues too.
The fact Ness (and to a lesser extent, Falcon) got in over a second Zelda character was rather odd. Not to mention Luigi and Jigglypuff got in over Bowser and Mewtwo, respectively.
Luigi deserves it over Bowser, I'd say.
A 15 character roster would have been nice to see, if Bowser, Dedede, and Mewtwo weren't cut due to limitations.

And Dedede deserved to be in Melee, but as for 64 that is a case of based Sakurai.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Well yeah. But there are reasons why I totally see K. Rool over Dixie.
I'm in a rush so I'll make this quick.
-Popularity
Huh? This one puzzles me.

How do you know K.Rool is more popular? I'm talking generally now.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Well, there's been a good amount of research done into what fans across the world want. Last I checked, K. Rool was established to be one of the most wanted newcomers the world over. And, not that this means a whole lot, but K. Rool is also our most wanted newcomer here on Smashboards, according to the RTC thread.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Well let's see.
K. Rool is a fat crocodile with multiple alter egos and a hilarious personality.
Dixie Kong is Diddy in drag. K. Rool obviously has more appeal.
Also I feel like more people would cheer about K. Rool's return than Dixie's recent return, which didn't cause much bustle.
In addition many Smash Bros polls show K. Rool over Dixie Kong.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Louie G. Louie G. that is debatable. In fact, I would like to debate about that, but I have crap to deal with right now.
Aw man, I would love to get into that debate.
But Luigi was the far superior choice in my eyes. He's Mario's right hand man, playable in almost every adventure his bro's been on (to be fair, both Luigi and Bowser skipped out on one mainstream game before Smash 64). I would argue that both of them deserve it, but Luigi made more sense because he was easier to include and had been playable in the past.
Not in Smash Bros, in a Mario game.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Well, there's been a good amount of research done into what fans across the world want. Last I checked, K. Rool was established to be one of the most wanted newcomers the world over. And, not that this means a whole lot, but K. Rool is also our most wanted newcomer here on Smashboards, according to the RTC thread.
And do those research take the general public into account or is it just dedicated forums? When speaking of a character's popularity, I'd like to consider it on a large scale, rather than limiting it to forums which consist of a minority. Polls and such are meaningless to me, since you're asking a specific group. You could say said character is more popular in said group, but in a series with a huge mass appeal like Smash you need far more than that. We're talking about 12 million people here. (Brawl's sales)

I'm not necessarily saying K.Rool is less popular than Dixie, because hell, I don't know. In my experience all I have is anecdotal evidence, which is meaningless.

As consumers, I think determining a character's popularity accurately is a really, really hard thing to do. My way of doing it is to simply look into the game a character's been in, see the sales and try to see what the general appeal of the game is and how known it is, but that's not the best way to do it because of multiple factors. I just figured that "popularity" isn't a convincing thing to argue about because we don't have the sufficient data that developers do.
Well let's see.
K. Rool is a fat crocodile with multiple alter egos and a hilarious personality.
Dixie Kong is Diddy in drag. K. Rool obviously has more appeal.
Also I feel like more people would cheer about K. Rool's return than Dixie's recent return, which didn't cause much bustle.
In addition many Smash Bros polls show K. Rool over Dixie Kong.
...This really screams like fanboyism more than a convincing argument. In fact I don't know what that has anything to do with what I'm asking.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'd argue in favor of Bowser because he hadn't been playable in the past and the game had absolutely no villains, unless you shoehorn Mario as a villain (since DKC DK hadn't appeared as an antagonist at the time). But since IIRC technical difficulties kept him out, there really was no choice to add but Luigi anyway.

Also, I agree that popularity is really tough to determine, but also, there isn't any artificial barrier between this forum's users and the rest of Brawl's buyers. If anything, Smashboards is a great sample size with which to analyze which characters have the most appeal. Even if you think it's limited, it's certainly not any more limited than the Japanese-only poll Sakurai used when deciding the Melee and Brawl rosters.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
All these people debating Chrom and K. Rool. Meanwhile, I'm here supporting the hell out of both. :D

I mean, after Little Mac's confirmation, these two were my most wanted.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
...This really screams like fanboyism more than a convincing argument. In fact I don't know what that has anything to do with what I'm asking.
Only the "Diddy in drag" part screams fanboyism.
It's true that Dixie's return didn't cause too much hype.
It's true that K. Rool beats out Dixie in almost every poll they are both featured in.

K. Rool is the more popular character, simply put. Even if I hated him I would admit that.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Even if you think it's limited, it's certainly not any more limited than the Japanese-only poll Sakurai used when deciding the Melee and Brawl rosters.
Is that actually how he decided the roster in those games? This is the first time I heard about this.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Is that actually how he decided the roster in those games? This is the first time I heard about this.
Here's the link to the poll, and here's the link to supporting information about the poll. Basically, characters were divided into "popular" and "unique" categories for heaven knows what reason, and chosen on that basis, partially thanks to the poll.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Here's the link to the poll, and here's the link to supporting information about the poll. Basically, characters were divided into "popular" and "unique" categories for heaven knows what reason, and chosen on that basis, partially thanks to the poll.
Giant DK for Smash Bros. The hype is real.

Seriously though, did people actually believe that Mr. Saturn and Lugia could be playable?
And looking back I would have much rather gotten Mew than Pichu. Maybe even more that Jigglypuff.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Wario was that popular pre-Melee? Now I find it even stranger that he didn't get in. I also find it interesting that Sakurai thought Wario deserved better than being a Mario clone, yet ignored the character's first decade of existence in Brawl.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Pokemon Talk.

It's probably going to get over with quickly because it's not about Mewtwo or Grovyle,but Hoenn.

Anyways,I've been going over Pokemon and thinking about a creative Pokemon that hasn't been used before.

Then Dusknoir came in (Okay,it was introduced in Sinnoh,but the Duskull family was introduced in Hoenn,so it counts,I guess.)

A ghost type Pokemon that I thought would be pretty creative in a way. I'm not using Gengar or the Coffin Pokemon because I though Dusknoir would seem more fitting. Let's begin.

:GCA: moves
AAA - Left Swing,Right Swing,Headbutt

Dash - Slam

Side Tilt - Shadow Claw
Down Tilt - A small paranormal fire (purple fire)
Up Tilt - A non-aerial flip with a flare behind

Neutral Air - Dusknoir spread out his two hands to hit nearby opponents
Down Air - A downward Shadow Claw
Up Air - Dusknoir points his finger up in the air,again with a flare following.
Side Air - Scratch (Shut up,it's not Shadow Claw atleast)

Side Smash - Sucker Punch
Up Smash - Sword's Dance (Four Swords attack the foe)
Down Smash - Mud Slap (Dusknoir slam into the ground,causing two pieces of the Earth to fling off.)

:GCB: moves
Neutral B - Glare (Stops the opponent for a free attack,can also damage.)
Side B - Sludge Bomb (Not sure if it can learn this move,if not,tell me. Also,no Shadow Ball.)
Down B - Dark Pulse (Can not only damage a foe,but push them away,has Meteor Smash effect in air)
Up B - Bind (Swirls up in the air,no horizontal distance. Can trap enemies and bring them up with Dusknoir)

Final Smash - Curse (Depends on how much damage it has taken. Say Dusknoir used this move with 60% damage,so all enemies recieve 60% damage when it strikes,sending them flying. But this costs Dusknoir half the damge,30%. So now Dusknoir has 90% damage,and can be easily KO'd now unlike his 60% state.)

Taunt 1 - A red light twinkles from Dusknoir's eye.
Taunt 2 - Swagger
Taunt 3 - A battle cry

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
So, since my computer can't download the Roster Maker (stupid Chromebook) I decided to make my roster in a list, so how do you guys like it?
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Bowser, Rosalina
DK, Diddy Kong, K.Rool, Yoshi, Wario
Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Vaati
Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Bandanna Dee
Pit, Palutena
Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo, Sceptile, Lucario, Geninja
Samus, ZSS, Ridley
Fox, Falco, Wolf
Ness, Lucas, Villager, Olimar, Ice Climbers, ROB
Marth, Ike, Roy, Robin
Little Mac, Mr.G&W, Captain Falcon, Shulk
Megaman, Sonic, Snake, Pac-Man

Morbi

Scavenger
So, since my computer can't download the Roster Maker (stupid Chromebook) I decided to make my roster in a list, so how do you guys like it?
Pit, Palutena
Samus, ZSS, Ridley
Fox, Falco, Wolf
Marth, Ike, Roy, Robin
Vaati over Ghirahim or Ganon, that is never going to happen. But seriously though, the only overt problem is Sceptile over Purin. That would only happen in my sickest most demented nightmares.

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
Pit, Palutena
Samus, ZSS, Ridley
Fox, Falco, Wolf
Marth, Ike, Roy, Robin
Why on Earth would Bandana Dee be included? Other than that, nice.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Pit, Palutena
Samus, ZSS, Ridley
Fox, Falco, Wolf
Marth, Ike, Roy, Robin
No complaints. I'd be super hyped for this.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Now that I think about it, Gengar would've made a really cool villain addition. Wonder how he would've worked in with being a ghost
Well,just take the moveset I recently posted,replace Dusknoir with Gengar,and shazam

Pit, Palutena
Samus, ZSS, Ridley
Fox, Falco, Wolf
Marth, Ike, Roy, Robin
Toad's been deconfirmed,Peach's neutral special again.
But CAPTAIN Toad on the other hand...

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

Vaati over Ghirahim or Ganon, that is never going to happen. But seriously though, the only overt problem is Sceptile over Purin. That would only happen in my sickest most demented nightmares.
What makes you say that?

Also with Jiggly, I'd keep her in, only I have a huge bias for Sceptile for multiple reasons, the 3rd gen remake, and I think 7 Pokemon characters may be a bit much.

Due to his ever increasing popularity and his importance in the Kirby franchise, in short.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Welcome to Smashboards,where 65% of the community likes Bandana Dee.

What makes you say that?
Also with Jiggly, I'd keep her in, only I have a huge bias for Sceptile for multiple reasons, the 3rd gen remake, and I think 7 Pokemon characters may be a bit much.
Due to his ever increasing popularity and his importance in the Kirby franchise, in short.
You do realize SSB4 3DS comes out in August,right?
And you're aware that the remakes come out in NOVERMBER?

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Why is it mostly you who crushes my dreams?
Pulverized dreams must Bowser lick.

Good job on thinking up a moveset. But at this point in time pokemon representatives are going to be heavily scrutinized.

Still, nice to see people putting thought and ideas into discussions.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

@鉄腕アトム
I understand that Ike or Chrom won't get in K. Rool's way and vice versa, but development time is development time and quite frankly if it came down to Chrom/Ike or K. Rool my choice would be an easy one.

Also I doubt Chrom will be that bad. But no Ridley would of course be disappointing. I'm holding onto some hope but I wouldn't be surprised to see it go either way.

And I came up with a theory while thinking about priority all day: characters may be revealed due to how complete they are. Think of it this way.
Villager: Star of an unrepresented and important IP, clearly high priority.
Mega Man: Incredibly popular and unique 3rd party. Since he would probably be built from the ground up he's high priority.
Wii Fit Trainer: Yeah I got nothing. See Villager I guess.
Rosalina: I feel that Mario newcomers are prioritized over other series because Mario is Mario. Not to mention that Rosalina's gameplay hardly imitates anyone else's. Maybe Peach's model was used, but only for very early development.
Little Mac: See Villager. His playstyle is also very unique, but some evidence has led me to believe that Captain Falcon's model was used to build Little Mac (their aerial hurt animations are uncannily similar). Probably early development.
Greninja: Basically the Lucario of Smash 4, so he was likely prioritized due to advertising purposes. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see him out prioritize Mewtwo and Jiggs.
So what do you guys think? I'm not positive about it, but I feel like the newcomers shown off so far are some of the higher priority ones.
Chrom really depends on how he turns out. If Marth, Ike, and Chrom are all unique additions, then Chrom will probably turn out pretty good. However, if Chrom is just a semi-clone and especially if he replaced Ike, then he honestly just should have stayed out. I don't think we can justify semi-clone additions anymore and I can't see the latter scenario happening because it would contradict Sakurai's emphasis on uniqueness.

I have partial disagreement with Rosalina and especially Greninja. I do believe that Rosalina was a high priority character, but considering that she's not nearly on the same level as Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser, I wouldn't be so sure about Rosalina being prioritized over other series. Also keep in mind that there was a Fire Emblem character placeholder in Brawl which Ike latter fulfilled. Considering that Sal's leak contained the outdated "Pokemon from X & Y" info in his second yet, it's very likely that they waited until Pokemon X & Y released to gauge the popularity of the new Pokemons and then went with Greninja due to his popularity. Also, considering that Mewtwo is the most wanted character period (even over Mega Man), I wouldn't be surprised if Mewtwo was the second highest priority Pokemon (with only Pikachu being higher). Greninja likely is below Lucario and Charizard but I will agree that he most certainly was prioritized above Jigglypuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Autumn ♫

Welcome to Smashboards,where 65% of the community likes Bandana Dee.

You do realize SSB4 3DS comes out in August,right?
And you're aware that the remakes come out in NOVERMBER?
They haven't yet said anything about August being the release date, just that it'll be out during Summer, and yes, I am aware of the release date of the remakes.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I really do not see why DL characters would not be in play. Sakurai can then prioritize new characters over some veterans and if they do not make the inital cut, a package of veterans can be released. They would not be as difficult to create as newcomers.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, he's a pretty recurring character within the Kirby series as of late, so if the Kirby series were to get a fourth rep, it would probably be him.

Although I will admit, to this day I have no idea why he's so popular...

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm perfectly fine with Kirby how it is, Kirby, Meta Knight, and King Dedede are three of my most favorite characters, there really is no need for anyone else.

Now personally, if Kirby got a fourth rep, I'd prefer just about anyone else other than a Waddle Dee I've incurred the wrath of Chandelure.
I will admit, to this day I have no idea why he's so popular...
I don't really get it either, he's never really shown any personality (unless it was in one of the games I missed), he's just an enemy turned good that's not really all that distinctive. I could understand if he had any sort of good traits, but I just don't see anything about him that says "lovable favorite character." I almost wonder if people want him solely for the fact that he was playable in Return to Dream Land, I can't think of any other reasons. Please don't spear me Bandana Fans.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Pokemon Talk.

It's probably going to get over with quickly because it's not about Mewtwo or Grovyle,but Hoenn.

Anyways,I've been going over Pokemon and thinking about a creative Pokemon that hasn't been used before.

Then Dusknoir came in (Okay,it was introduced in Sinnoh,but the Duskull family was introduced in Hoenn,so it counts,I guess.)

A ghost type Pokemon that I thought would be pretty creative in a way. I'm not using Gengar or the Coffin Pokemon because I though Dusknoir would seem more fitting. Let's begin.

:GCA: moves
AAA - Left Swing,Right Swing,Headbutt

Dash - Slam

Side Tilt - Shadow Claw
Down Tilt - A small paranormal fire (purple fire)
Up Tilt - A non-aerial flip with a flare behind

Neutral Air - Dusknoir spread out his two hands to hit nearby opponents
Down Air - A downward Shadow Claw
Up Air - Dusknoir points his finger up in the air,again with a flare following.
Side Air - Scratch (Shut up,it's not Shadow Claw atleast)

Side Smash - Sucker Punch
Up Smash - Sword's Dance (Four Swords attack the foe)
Down Smash - Mud Slap (Dusknoir slam into the ground,causing two pieces of the Earth to fling off.)

:GCB: moves
Neutral B - Glare (Stops the opponent for a free attack,can also damage.)
Side B - Sludge Bomb (Not sure if it can learn this move,if not,tell me. Also,no Shadow Ball.)
Down B - Dark Pulse (Can not only damage a foe,but push them away,has Meteor Smash effect in air)
Up B - Bind (Swirls up in the air,no horizontal distance. Can trap enemies and bring them up with Dusknoir)

Final Smash - Curse (Depends on how much damage it has taken. Say Dusknoir used this move with 60% damage,so all enemies recieve 60% damage when it strikes,sending them flying. But this costs Dusknoir half the damge,30%. So now Dusknoir has 90% damage,and can be easily KO'd now unlike his 60% state.)

Taunt 1 - A red light twinkles from Dusknoir's eye.
Taunt 2 - Swagger
Taunt 3 - A battle cry
Saw your avatar and "ghost type" in your post and expected Shedninja. I was only mildly disappointed. Dusknoir sounds like he could be pretty darn cool, though I prefer Duskull and Duskclops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom