• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Something weird I noticed in the Direct...when Waluigi appeared, he has Wario's emblem instead of Mario even though he never appeared in a Wario game.

Is Sakurai hiding still hiding Wario?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Well there goes my main, but at least Charizard is back. Greninja was one of my favorites in Gen 6. I noticed the Kremlings so K. Rool is even more likely in my eyes.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I wouldn't count Ridley out just yet. He did mention that Boss characters would be returning, and showed Pyrosphere, but don't you find it odd that Ridley and a description if him were not shown? I still think Ridley is within reason.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Also, here's another thing of interest about Ridley.

Anyone else find that wing to be a little... Not purple? There's probably a good reason Sakurai has yet to show us Ridley directly. I want to pull the Robo Ridley card (not Meta Ridley, his wings are yellow), but he doesn't even have wings.

Still, it provokes thought. Sakurai doesn't seem above the idea of including different incarnations of a character on the battlefield, as seen with Samus and ZSS as their own characters while Dark Samus is an Assist Trophy.

Is Ridley deconfirmed, or is a Ridley deconfirmed?

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I know a certain Swat Kat is happy about SoloSheik, SoloSuit and SoloZard. ;)

Smady

Smash Master
Something weird I noticed in the Direct...when Waluigi appeared, he has Wario's emblem instead of Mario even though he never appeared in a Wario game.

Is Sakurai hiding still hiding Wario?
Most definitely.

Everyone predicted Yoshi, but I was sure Wario would show up. No way is he cut.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So does this mean Sheik and ZSS get their own slot? Tingle deconfirmed? :o
Too many questions so little tiime?
Yes to the first part (well, probably), but I don't know what your reasoning is for the second. He wasn't shown in the AT rundown or anything.

bryanoid

Smash Cadet
A crazy thought I had regarding "removal of transformations" btw:
Were they really removed because of the 3DS potentially being unable to handle them? Or were they removed from previous characters to add a new transforming character; to make them feel unique? "Characters who USED TO change forms mid-match will no longer change". Dixie tag team with Diddy? It might seem unlikely but the tag team of them was intended for Brawl but wasn't implemented do to time constraints. Hmm. Just speculation anyway.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I suppose Samus/ZSS and Zelda/Sheik could still share slots, seeing as they are basically the same character (inb4 Link and Toon Link). Though regardless of whether they do share slots or not, there are clearly no in-game character swaps any longer.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
You want to know what's funny? He added insult to injury to people who wanted Waluigi. Everyone said "Waluigi is a Mario character, he can't be a Wario rep!" Then Waluigi is shown in this direct with Wario's emblem. Smooth moves Sakurai, smooth moves. I'm going to go find a nice corner to sulk in now.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Seems to be.
Pretty much why I think Mewtwo and Jigglypuff are coming back. Zoroark, the other X & Y starters, Victini, Deoxys, Gardevoir, Darkrai; most of the other potential playable Pokémon we have been discussing are Pokéball characters. The only characters with any shot left are Blaziken and Genesect, but how likely are they really? With Squirtle and Ivysaur's spots open, I cannot see how you don't give it to the other two? Especially when Mewtwo spearheaded the entire Mega Evolution mechanic (and soon after Lucario and Charizard) and Jigglypuff is the quintessential Fairy-type. Setting aside the knee-jerk reactions there really wasn't anything today that hindered any two characters ability to be playable aside from Squirtle and Ivysaur. Period.

Last edited:

bryanoid

Smash Cadet
They'll probably still share roster slots (Samus-ZSS, Zelda-Sheik)

But instead of them getting alt costumes, they get their alt forms

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
You want to know what's funny? He added insult to injury to people who wanted Waluigi. Everyone said "Waluigi is a Mario character, he can't be a Wario rep!" Then Waluigi is shown in this direct with Wario's emblem. Smooth moves Sakurai, smooth moves. I'm going to go find a nice corner to sulk in now.
Smooth Moves, indeed, Sakurai.
A crazy thought I had regarding "removal of transformations" btw:
Were they really removed because of the 3DS potentially being unable to handle them? Or were they removed from previous characters to add a new transforming character; to make them feel unique? "Characters who USED TO change forms mid-match will no longer change". Dixie tag team with Diddy? It might seem unlikely but the tag team of them was intended for Brawl but wasn't implemented do to time constraints. Hmm. Just speculation anyway.
Seems rather counterproductive to do that if he's removing transformations in the first place. Why make changes so the 3DS doesn't have to handle transformations and then add a newcomer with a transformation anyway? Seems to defeat the point entirely.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
About Ridley, could that have been Charizard? We only saw a tiny piece of the character. That could have been the claw. Plus the picture was very zoomed in. Plus Pikachu might be the smallest character in the game, so it could make sense.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm playing it safe and saying Ridley is out, UNLESS they go with the boss and playable route like with other fighting games.

Also, I still want to see more homages to Guilty Gear. Like for example, I could be Barbara the Bat being based on I-No.

bryanoid

Smash Cadet
Seems rather counterproductive to do that if he's removing transformations in the first place. Why make changes so the 3DS doesn't have to handle transformations and then add a newcomer with a transformation anyway? Seems to defeat the point entirely.
Not sure. But it does make more sense to have transformations apply to a character of the Donkey Kong franchise for obvious reasons. Switching between characters is a huge part of the DKC games. Whereas you never see Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS switch forms freely in their respective games. Pokemon Trainer had 3 freaking pokemon in one character slot. That most definitely would've been too much for the 3DS. Anyway, I don't think Diddy/Dixie is likely but it would be interesting.

And continuing on this train of thought. Even more unlikely, but what if Ice climbers are split up and are made into alt costumes of each other? It would make some sense now. That would leave Rosalina + Luma as the unique double attacking character and a supposed Diddy + Dixie as the unique transforming character.

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
Hmm...I see.

Guess Wario will take Yoshi's place for "He gunna get cut" jokes.
Wario is actually one of the first characters to be confirmed if you believe the initial concept art.

Only Wario, Meta Knight and G&W haven't been revealed, of characters in this image.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Smooth Moves, indeed, Sakurai.

Thank you for catching the reference, you've eased my pain a little.

I'm still upset over the loss of transforming characters, not so much Zamus, but Zelda/Sheik and Pokemon Trainer have left a sore spot...

D

Deleted member

On the bright side of the direct, it gives me more hope that Snake can be back!

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Pretty much why I think Mewtwo and Jigglypuff are coming back. Zoroark, the other X & Y starters, Victini, Deoxys, Gardevoir, Darkrai; most of the other potential playable Pokémon we have been discussing are Pokéball characters. The only characters with any shot left are Blaziken and Genesect, but how likely are they really? With Squirtle and Ivysaur's spots open, I cannot see how you don't give it to the other two? Especially when Mewtwo spearheaded the entire Mega Evolution mechanic (and soon after Lucario and Charizard) and Jigglypuff is the quintessential Fairy-type. Setting aside the knee-jerk reactions there really wasn't anything today that hindered any two characters ability to be playable aside from Squirtle and Ivysaur. Period.
We didn't even think Greninja had a shot, him being confirmed pretty much opened the door for both of them and they did feature prominently to at least some extent in advertising (Blaziken for Mega Evolution, though to a lesser extent, and Genesect alongside Mewtwo for the movie), so I wouldn't count them out just yet.

I'm not going to count out Mewtwo though, 6 is possible, but things are constricted for him now.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
At least I was sort of right about Greninja. I was kind of considering Serina from Pokemon X & Y, but I never even imagined Greninja would appear alone. I knew he was incredibly popular, but I thought if Mewtwo did get replace by a more recent Pokemon (which I always thought would happen), I thought it would be Genesect or Sylveon.

But, to be honest...I don't know what to believe anymore...

Last edited by a moderator:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
We didn't even think Greninja had a shot, him being confirmed pretty much opened the door for both of them and they did feature prominently to at least some extent (Blaziken for Mega Evolution, though to a lesser extent, and Genesect alongside Mewtwo for the movie) so I wouldn't count them out just yet.

I'm not going to count out Mewtwo though, 6 is possible, but things are constricted for him now.
Don't get me wrong, I've always seen Blaziken as a dark horse candidate, but overall I still think Mewtwo has the advantage given his prominence over the past year, and the fact that he remains one of the highest requested characters for this game. Now with The Pokémon Company and Game Freak's flavor-of-the month character out of the way, I just think it falls in line for the other two.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
On the bright side of the direct, it gives me more hope that Snake can be back!
I feel this hurt his chances honestly, we've just lost two characters, we're probably losing a couple more.

I'm in serious fear for Lucas and Ness now, and I swear if we lose Ness then I'll never touch another Smash Bros.

Pokemon Trainer (Ivy and Squirtle), Lucas, Wolf, Snake, probably Jiggs. Now I know how people felt when they lost Mewtwo, poor Trainer...

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Thank you for catching the reference, you've eased my pain a little.

I'm still upset over the loss of transforming characters, not so much Zamus, but Zelda/Sheik and Pokemon Trainer have left a sore spot...
At least they're in the game and playable, right? That's what matters most.

I too feel bad over losing Red, Ivysaur, and Squirtle. At the very least, Charizard, the meat of the trainer, is returning. So much for no-cuts, though...

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Welp. Back to the drawing board.
Empty Roster.png

Damn. 49 characters. Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Snake are the cuts. If I had to include one more character instead of the RANDOM, it'd be Ridley. Any comments, questions, concerns? I'd be free to explain any of them.

And yes, all of these character arts for the confirmed are in fact already up to date.

D

Deleted member

I feel this hurt his chances honestly, we've just lost two characters, we're probably losing a couple more.

I'm in serious fear for Lucas and Ness now, and I swear if we lose Ness then I'll never touch another Smash Bros.

Pokemon Trainer (Ivy and Squirtle), Lucas, Wolf, Snake, probably Jiggs. Now I know how people felt when they lost Mewtwo, poor Trainer...
I dunno why'd Ness would go...it just doesn't seem right (And I'm not a die-hard Mother fan)

But yeah, speaking of Wolf...I fear hes getting the axe since some of Zero Suit Samus' moves I saw in the direct kinda resembled his. (Don't do this to me Sakurai!!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I wonder what no transformations mean for the roster. We could see the roster push past 50 after all.

I see no reason why former transformations would share slots. They're pretty much their own characters now.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
At least they're in the game and playable, right? That's what matters most.

I too feel bad over losing Red, Ivysaur, and Squirtle. At the very least, Charizard, the meat of the trainer, is returning. So much for no-cuts, though...
While Charizard was my favorite of the three, I'm still incredibly sad/mad about the loss of the other two, we lost the main protagonist of Pokemon.

I'm glad that Sheik and Zamus are still in (though Diddy will no doubt begin rubbing in the Phantom), but we lost one of the most unique things, transformations.

Not to mention that Sheik and Zamus are now taking up two extra slots. I'm mad about Greninja too, but I guess it's just the "Lucario replaced Mewtwo" effect.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Does anyone think Mewtwo will replace Jigglypuff? Because at this point, I don't think Sakurai really gives a ****.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Well, I have come to say a few words.
I am officially leaving the SSB4 Speculation. The direct.. it killed me. It wasn't Greninja, mind you. It was something else. If you want to take over any of my threads, feel free to do so. I will still hang around @BigAxle's Roster Evolution thread, @Mega Bidoof's How They be Repped thread, and MAYBE on rare occasions @Groose's RTC thread.
So, adios amigos and amigas.

bryanoid

Smash Cadet
My new roster due to the nintendo direct

Turtles is obviously greninja.

Chrom may get in over roy.
Ewww, brawl portraits

Haha jk but any roster without cuts (aside from the confirmed ones) is a good one in my book

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Pilotwings is it's own Universe.

So Wuhu Island isn't actually a Mii stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom