• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
This talk about Ridley is a little bit crazy if you ask me. Sure I think Ridley can be playable, but I'm pretty sure there would be a lot of people surprised if he gets in

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
This talk about Ridley is a little bit crazy if you ask me. Sure I think Ridley can be playable, but I'm pretty sure there would be a lot of people surprised if he gets in
And there would be a lot of people crying tears of joy as well.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
You mean people in Miiverse and Youtube, right? I don't think anyone around here would be surprised.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Ridley is honestly a fairly obvious choice, if you really think about it. I'd say the only thing really working against him is Metroid's relative "obscurity" when compared to big names like Mario and Zelda, especially in Japan (although Zelda's not huge over there, either). I mean, he is Metroid's Bowser or Ganon.

People seem to disregard him just because he hasn't been added yet, or because he's relatively "unknown" compared to his villainous peers, but he's very important to Metroid and Nintendo in general. Not to mention that he's unique and has plenty of muhrelevance.

D

Deleted member

Ridley would be as surprising to everyone as Villager would have been if he was a big point of contention in past Smash games. When Sakurai makes it clear a character is difficult, the translation or Telephone-like gossip takes that to mean impossible eventually and thus a huge amount are misinformed, thinking x character is never going to be in Smash Bros. Although I imagine that anyone truly interested enough to have a reaction to the news, by now must know all the details. Hopefully it'd mean an end to those people who cling to a specific quote to disprove x character, because a quote from five years ago amateurishly translated from Japanese into English is such compelling evidence.

Parmite

Smash Apprentice
Can I just ask something real quick?

Why does 80% of the internet think that Mii's in Smash would be a bad idea? I think it would be cool and unique, but all I've been seeing for a while is everybody hating on the idea of Mii's.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero

Why does 80% of the internet think that Mii's in Smash would be a bad idea? I think it would be cool and unique, but all I've been seeing for a while is everybody hating on the idea of Mii's.
Because penis faces and Hitler Miis, apparently.

I'd like Miis.
Wouldn't mind them in the slightest, just as long as they are customizable and not generic.

Lots of customization options with attack power, height, weight, and attack angles, and other stuff. Could also give a sense of unpredictability when facing other Miis.

Just as long as the customization of moves doesn't take away from the uniqueness of other fighters. (like customizing Mii's moves to the extent of giving it Mario's moveset.)

Maybe there could also be some sort of balance checking with the power customization of moves as to not make a Mii overpowered.

But I do understand many concerns over Miis, like possible balance problems, or trouble implementing them.

-----

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer

I suspect it's in large part due to uncertainties in how Miis would be implemented. Would they be fully customizable, or only partially? Would customization extend to appearance, moves, stats, or some combination thereof? That, and perhaps the Mii's role as a pure avatar, and not really a character or a Nintendo All-Star (and thus making them undeserving of playable incluson).

Given that the Miis are the mascot of the Wii console line, it would be perplexing if they didn't get prominent representation in SSB4 somehow. While I bear no antipathy, I have no real interest in playing as a Mii either, save perhaps for the novelty of seeing myself in the game (and perhaps seeing the Mii in playable action will render them more appealing).

I'm not sure they'll be using that design for Sheik.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Well, for one...
People always say they need customization.
And in a game like this, that requires a ton of time and effort. Not to mention trying to keep it all balanced.
It just sounds better to focus on other things than just one character.

I've always said this. And I'll say it here.
Why can't they just be their own character? Why can't they just represent themselves?

And this is coming from a guy who likes Miis (not to mention a sucker for customizable stuff).

Parmite

Smash Apprentice
But with all the games they have come from, they're move set could be amazing. Me personally, I do want Miis in Smash (To a lesser extent than other characters.)
Why wouldn't you wouldn't you want to play as your Mii?

Parmite

Smash Apprentice
Because personalized Miis hold a mirror to our own self-loathing.
I thought that happened whenever the screen faded to black to load the game, and all you could see was your miserable and petite face, arguing whether you should even get out of bed in the morning just to play video games and go on a giant hamster wheel, repeating and repeating the inevitable fate of stress and pain. We look, and we see. We have become what we hate. We look and see something not worth seeing.

Then it finishes loading.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Phew,internet's back up. Took a long time,anyways,what's the topic?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

Because customization will make the characters worthless.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mii is a terrible idea cause we already have Villager and Wii Fit Trainer.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Mii's are plausible in my book. Well,Miis have their own stage. That doesn't confirm them all together but it raises their chances at the least.

Staarih

Smash Master
Ok, Mii's. Many people defend the character, and I personally am pretty indifferent towards the idea, but I'd like to know: would someone be genuinely upset/sad if the Mii did NOT make it in the game as a playable character? I think a lot of people are just trying to believe/say to others that it's a good idea instead of actually wanting it.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Customization as in design or as in moveset?
Customization in general for multiplayer games tend to be game breakers, which naturally means that it would be restricted in some sort of way in order to prevent centralizing. Like restricting customization on Wi-Fi, restricting the customization during single player events like Target Test, or banning the character from tournaments, those type of things. Which to me would make the character feel a lot more worthless, because the only thing it would be good for is screwing around in offline multiplayer.

Last edited:

Parmite

Smash Apprentice
Customization in general for multiplayer games tend to be game breakers, which naturally means that it would be restricted in some sort of way in order to prevent centralizing. Like restricting customization on Wi-Fi, restricting the customization during single player events like Target Test, or banning the character from tournaments, those type of things. Which to me would make the character feel a lot more worthless, because the only thing it would be good for is screwing around in offline multiplayer.
That's a good point, and I see where you're coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom