• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I wouldn't mind Bandanna Dee, but there are certainly characters that I believe SHOULD get in before him.

Ridley, K.Rool, Palutena, Mewtwo, and a few others.

I mean the way I see it, you've got 5 newcomers already, and there are quite a few that have a good chance of getting in. You're already at like 12+ characters. In that respect, Bandanna Dee has his work cut out for him.
I'm more so that Ridley, K, Rool, Palutena, and Mewtwo should get in, (despite really only being a fan of Palutena), but then everyone else is just a nice gem. There is plenty spaces left since those 4 brings the total to 9. At least to me.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm more so that Ridley, K, Rool, Palutena, and Mewtwo should get in, (despite really only being a fan of Palutena), but then everyone else is just a nice gem. There is plenty spaces left since those 4 brings the total to 9. At least to me.
The problem is that, besides those, you have the expected Fire Emblem newcomer, Pac-Man, possibly Mii's, possibly Takamaru...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'd consider Bandana Dee a lot more likely if Sakurai didn't have a second series into which to siphon his personal bias this time around as far as character selection goes. I'm only partly joking in this assertion.

No, but seriously, I have difficulty seeing much hope for the guy because he's only ever brought up on Smashboards as a token Dark Horse candidate ("so underrated," "don't count him out" and all that jazz), or as the answer to the question "If there were a Fourth Congressional Rep for Kirby, who'd it be?" Granted, he's not completely hopeless, but if you think he's got anything resembling a great chance, I'd temper your expectations ASAP.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It's ain't that simple laddie.
I'M NOT YO LADDIE, GUY!

I'm just setting a framework for why Bandanna Dee is fairly...I don't even know what to call him. He's got competition though, that's for sure.

I mean obviously there are factors we can't determine, but besides that I feel it's generally accurate thinking. There are several characters who have a lot going for them, and then you've got a character like Bandanna Dee, who is a questionable choice.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I'M NOT YO LADDIE, GUY!

I'm just setting a framework for why Bandanna Dee is fairly...I don't even know what to call him. He's got competition though, that's for sure.
The best term is "somewhat likely" as that is what I've taken accustom to using. Very, very middle ground on that point.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
The problem is that, besides those, you have the expected Fire Emblem newcomer, Pac-Man, possibly Mii's, possibly Takamaru...
But the problem with those characters is that, unlike the big 4, they are debated from heck to back. You even added to word possibly to Mii and Takamaru.

All those characters, just like Bandana Dee, have something holding them back.
"If there were a Fourth Congressional Rep for Kirby, who'd it be?"
But isn't that sort of the point with any existing franchise wanted newcomers? Other then the wanted newcomers that are in a series not represented in smash yet and the big 4, wouldn't you say all of them are complete?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Like I've mentioned before, but outside of Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, and Metroid, I do feel as though anything relating to expanding an establish franchise feels forced.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
But isn't that sort of the point with any existing franchise wanted newcomers? Other then the wanted newcomers that are in a series not represented in smash yet and the big 4, wouldn't you say all of them are complete?
Not really. There's a difference between wanting a character for who they are, with them just happening to come from an existing franchise, and wanting a character specifically to give an existing franchise '+1' character. They can overlap at times, and I don't intend to generalize all supporters of Bandana Dee as falling into the latter category, but I do notice a lot of that occurring with him and the Kirby series. Same goes for "Mario/Zelda needs a Sixth/Fifth Rep."

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Hopefully I've mostly not seemed like the latter. Though I'd understand if that generalization was being made.
I'm moreso of the first one in my personal eyes, but one's self opinion isn't very accurate.

Though, to be honest, most Mario 6th Rep arguements feel ham-fisted.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Not really. There's a difference between wanting a character for who they are, with them just happening to come from an existing franchise, and wanting a character specifically to give an existing franchise '+1' character. They can overlap at times, and I don't intend to generalize all supporters of Bandana Dee as falling into the latter category, but I do notice a lot of that occurring with him and the Kirby series. Same goes for "Mario/Zelda needs a Sixth/Fifth Rep."
Oh wait, that's what you meant? I thought you were implying that only Kirby was a complete series.

I can assure you I don't want Bandana Dee just to have one + character.

I generally like Bandana Dee, and think he has merits.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Generally speaking, any character that is supported solely to fill in some sort of imaginary criteria is not exactly a good character.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I don't care about Banana Dee.

Or Bandana Dee

-----
I do.

It sounds delicious.

Unfortunately, Sakurai himself did actually add a character just to give a series another character, that being ZSS for Metroid.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/05/31/sakurais-smash-bros-update
True, which does bother me as it makes her sound arbitrary, but that does seem to be the exception. I don't think he'll deliberately look for reps like that this time around, particularly since now he's looking at the newer franchises for characters. So I think if he's going to add more to older franchises, he will be more meticulous in his choices.

Last edited:

AquaDork1

Smash Apprentice
I'm starting to think we'll get Isaac next week..

Because Japanese release dates are generally more important, yes?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Is Isaac particularly expected as a character to begin with? I haven't done a lot of research into Isaac and Golden Sun, so is he considered a likely or even expected character?

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805

Yeah, but I don't think VC releases really mean much. But at the same time, it would be the prime time to show Isaac.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
April Direct will definetly pick up some serious steam

Firstly speaking, personally thinking (in this particular order) the most likely characetrs to be revealed are:
1) Palutena
2) FE13 Character
3) Takamaru

Palutena makes sense due to all the subtle hints that went towards her, including that KI stage. If the Galaxy stage situation is anything to go by, she'll most likely have her reveal trailer featuring that stage. April Direct would be a perfect time to reveal her, logically speaking

FE13 characters have the Arena Ferox stage going for them in terms of hints. Considering the FE Anniversaries that are in April, they can be revealed to coincide with those anniversaries, like Little Mac was in the last Direct

As for Takamaru, he also has an anniversay going for him in April. Also, considering that Sakurai wants to revive old franchises, it makes sense for him to be revealed as part of the starting roster to help spread awareness of his franchise and aid in exposure.

So what do you guys think? Who are your top 3 expectations for April Direct?

Secondly speaking, do you guys think that Lyn will return as the Fire Emblem AT character or be replaced?

Thirdly, what do you guys think of this Pac-Man interview?

Finally, as for Bandanna Dee... I suppose I would be cool with him being in as long as he adds something interesting gamepla-ywise with his spear.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I don't think the VC titles will have any impact on the next newcomer. However, I'd love an Isaac reveal and he would definitely work out as a surprise/hype character, as he may not be really expected but still wanted and I don't think anyone really has anything against him. I'd also like the fact that in that case we'd have two old AT's upgraded into playables (Little Mac and Isaac) and shown one after the other.

But anywayy... I've vouched for Chrom being the next newcomer, but now I'm slowly starting to feel like it'll be something completely different. I think I might change my bet to Takamaru, just because.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Ridley is best Fire Emblem Lord/Landmaster
Release the LandRidley! It shall cross the universes and conquer all!

Though Ridley seems out of the option unless Sakurai pulls out ZSS at the last second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom