• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't want to jump the gun and say they'll add Captain Rainbow. I suppose that he could be somewhat interesting though. But I haven't played his game. From what I can get, he uses a Yo-Yo and he can switch between his actual civilian look and his alter-ego. So that might be worth looking into.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Doing whatever he wants=/= being a moron.

He isn't going to just add whoever. They have to make sense. There are some characters who, unfortunately, have popularity but don't have the complete package.

I just don't see him adding Roy and this has nothing to do with my liking for Chrom. That would be like advertising an older model of a car instead of the latest one. I just don't see it happening.
What? The recentness argument?

It's not the deciding factor, but it matters to some degree with Fire Emblem.
Well it might and can but doesnt necessarily mean it will or does now but we shall know soon..

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't want to jump the gun and say they'll add Captain Rainbow. I suppose that he could be somewhat interesting though. But I haven't played his game. From what I can get, he uses a Yo-Yo and he can switch between his actual civilian look and his alter-ego. So that might be worth looking into.
Well, I guess range won't be a problem for him.

D

Deleted member

Being iconic =/= being a playable character.
It's the uniqueness that will make him join the roster. :p
I agree that gameplay potential is more important, but the iconicity of a character must not be denied.

Look at Starfy for example. Sure he had good gameplay potential, but failed to be playable notably because of his lack of notoriety among the unrepped franchises' characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Captain Rainbow? Never played the game, but I can't judge a game I have never played or watched. To the LP channels!

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
CAPTAIN RAINBOW CONFIRMED

Because we all know that a game getting referenced in any way automatically means its main character is playable in Smash.
You mean like Starfy as an Assist Trophy? Or the Animal Crossing and PicoChat stages in Brawl? :troll:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Consider Smash has always had random and strange and random trophies, I'm not putting too much stock in this.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Captain Rainbow? I don't think this trophy boosts his chances too much. However, I think it's safe to say that we'll definitely see CR in some way, shape, or form, even if it's just a different trophy.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Oddly though, I would actually be more upset over the exclusion of Shulk instead of Ridley.
Personally, I wouldn't be all that surprised if Shulk didn't make it in. He's one of those characters that has strong enough merits to the point where he could easily be in, but at the same time I still wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make it in. He doesn't feel like an overt and "obvious" character like Little Mac was.

The only potential newcomers who I would be shocked to hypothetically find out are not playable is K. Rool(recency does not work as an argument for Donkey Kong characters at all) and Palutena (considering all her merits and the fact that Sakurai is subtly teasing fans with those Palutena-related PotD)

I will know that ChronoBound will be upset and explain with a wall of text that the decision is the blunder of the century and that Sakurai's an idiot and blah blah blah.

But in general, expect a much more pessimistic and shrunken fanbase.
Honestly speaking, I haven't seen Chrono around here for a long time.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I think that the Pic of the Day only affects CR's chances a little bit.
A very, very little bit.

I only think so because if I remember correctly, series' that aren't represented by a playable character (or have a stage) only have the main character as a trophy. It seems odd that a series would get multiple trophies (if we have CR Mac, we are getting CR himself, and maybe Takamaru and Lip trophies too) and not be playable.

Thinking about it, this reminded me of Takamaru and Lip, who were also in Captain Rainbow. They are both wanted as playable, and make a lot sense.
I can't really put what I am trying to say into words, but I guess it just makes me think about them. If we have one "retro" character who has hisCR design as a trophy, why not have the other two? Maybe Sakurai is purposely doing this, to have the whole "Captain Rainbow Crew."
Or maybe I'm looking too far into this, like saying that since he has Mega Man and Pit, he is planning Simin Belmont and Captain N.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
@ Jason the Yoshi Jason the Yoshi I'm sorry if you took offense to my post. It isn't in my nature to be aggressive towards people. Assertive, possibly (and in that post, most definitely), but not aggressive. I know that the issue has since died down, but I wanted to formally let bygones be bygones, for my own conscious' sake. As Opossum said, I just wanted you to clarify your side of things, as I've seen you be pretty vague on the issue in multiple threads now. Since the topic has since gone to E3 and fanbases that may be damaged by exclusion, I'm not bringing the subject up again, though.

Okay, we're talking about fanbases and disappointment?

I think that, should K. Rool be excluded, things could get pretty shaky. His inclusion in Smash would certainly see him knocking over the thrones of one-offs like the Tikis and Snomads (Snowmads?) If he isn't included, there isn't as much pressure to add "that crocodile guy from Smash Bros." back into the main Donkey Kong series, which will increasingly push him into obscurity until only the memories of yesteryear remind us of his relevance to the series. That's worst case scenario, however.

With Ridley, he will always have detractors, but he will always be present in Metroid. Yes, people will certainly become more pessimistic about his odds, but at least he still qualifies.

That's how I see it, anyways.
Apology accepted. I just thought that the fact that you wanted me to treat the factor as some sort of research paper was kinda weird.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
We're seriously thinking that Cpt. Rainbow will be included? I guess since we saw Saria's trophy, she's in too!

Please ignore this. I wasn't in the right place to post this, and didn't realize how stupid it sounded. I explain myself better in a newer post.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Personally, I wouldn't be all that surprised if Shulk didn't make it in. He's one of those characters that has strong enough merits to the point where he could easily be in, but at the same time I still wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make it in. He doesn't feel like an overt and "obvious" character like Little Mac was.
This is how I feel as well.
Could Shulk make it? Sure.
Though I'm not seeing him as any sort of lock.

We're seriously thinking that Cpt. Rainbow will be included? I guess since we saw Saria's trophy, she's in too!
I would advise you think before making posts like these.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
@GoldenYuiitusin

Yeah, it was a bit harsh, but I really doubt we'll be seeing Cpt. Rainbow. I just get bugged by the overwhelming jitter of his inclusion, when it appears to just be a trophy with no more purpose. Could I be wrong? Sure. But still, I think we are all blowing this out of proportion.

(I had to change this because I had to learn a bit more before posting my thoughts on a topic I'm not sure of.)

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Not exactly.

The fat Mac trophy is associated with Captain Rainbow, so that "clearly" means Cpt. Rainbow will get in.

The Saria trophy is associated with OoT, so that means the Ocarina of Time will sprout limbs and become playable.

----

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
This isn't a natter of odds here, this is a matter of being agitated over an exclusion of a wanted character. Hence why I'm saying I would be peeved by the exclusion of Shulk, or hell, even ignoring Xenoblade in general.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
This isn't a matter of odds here, this is a matter of being agitated over an exclusion of a wanted character. Hence why I'm saying I would be peeved by the exclusion of Shulk, even ignoring Xenoblade in general.
Fixed

I would personally love to see Shulk as playable, and seeing as how Sakurai almost completely ignored Animal Crossing until now, I see your point.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Captain Rainbow will likely be an Assist Trophy. Obscure, not-overly-popular characters like him are practically made to be Assist Trophies.

Making him playable would certainly be a very Sakurai thing to do, but I don't really think that'll happen.

EDIT: Having read up a bit, he and his game aren't really popular anywhere. I doubt he'll make it as anything more than an AT.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Honestly thinking about it, I feel as if that Captain Rainbow could be this game's Villager.
Trophies, stages, but no playable character.
But people are already jumping on the bandwagon and likely placing him as playable.
Remember the Chibi Robo Trophies? Remember the Warrior Mechs? Remember the Custom Robos? Fat Mac is Mac years ago in a different universe.

Last edited:

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Guess I'm the only one who doesn't like that guy and would be seriously dissapointed if he becomes playable.
Like, really, there's tons of better options.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
So....

What do you guys think about Captain Rainbow?
Just did a little research about him, because I've never heard of him before.
So, he is a character of an obscure Japan-only Wii game that was sold poorly. I don't think he'll be playable, but I can see him as an assist trophy.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Just did a little research about him, because I've never heard of him before.
So, he is a character of an obscure Japan-only Wii game that was sold poorly. I don't think he'll be playable, but I can see him as an assist trophy.
Lucas? :awesome:

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Does that mean Captain Rainbow was not plausible to fight as Villager in Brawl. Because I don't think that's the case.
I didn't mean that at all nor was I referring to the reason he was cut in early cases. I was referring to the fact that they had content but not a playable character. Nick can fight, absolutely. So can the Villager.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Captain Rainbow's inclusion means Takamaru's not in the game? What?
They can co-exist, just like every other co-existing statement you guys mention like Isaac/Shulk and Dixie/K. Rool.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
They can co-exist, just like every other co-existing statement you guys mention like Isaac/Shulk and Dixie/K. Rool.
Honestly, wouldn't Nick's inclusion increase Takamaru's chances a tad? I mean, we could have a Rainbow Reunion... Captain Rainbow ain't a Retro, but he supports those Retros in his game. They can easily coexist.

And I thought the anti-exist with Taka was Lip.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I don't think Sakurai is going to add many obscure Japan-only characters.

But hey, Rainbow's not getting in anyway so whatever.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Who says there can't be many if they have as much merits to be playable in the game even though they are Japan-only. I agree we won't get alot, but it's possible we can have 2-3 exist as playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom