• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I never really had the now or never mentality with any character, especially with any popular characters. I guess it's a matter of perspective. Still, I think the devs might deliver on one or two more heavily requested characters. It's just a matter of who.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Oddly though, I would actually be more upset over the exclusion of Shulk instead of Ridley.
To me, it's not as much a loss as Ridley, but not having Shulk, especially after we have confirmation that X has connections to Xenoblade, is being up-played ALOT for the Wii U and Monolith deserving to be represented as Nintendo's newest acquirement in terms of companies (This not including the fact that Xenoblade was one of the decade's greatest RPGs and one of the best games on the Wii), would be pretty damn shocking. Not to mention it seems like Sakurai has a liking for Xenoblade judging by some of his Twitter posts. Not going to say that's enough to make him a shoe-in, but I'd say he's a perfect way to, along with a retro character, make a perfect encompassing representation of new Nintendo franchises to the battle.

However, Shulk and Ridley are two sides of the same coin, one representing long-time needs and the other one being more recent needs.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I don't think King K. Rool's popularity would die too much, him being ignored again would hurt a lot, but his fanbase is strong and enduring from what I've seen and many are still pushing for him despite missing two games and in the face of detractors. If he returns back into the spotlight, that'll remove a lot of the pessimism around the character and his fanbase will become stronger.

Ridley is harder to say, his fanbase is dedicated, but if he misses this it will be much more disconcerting, particularly with the detractors being more vocal on the issue. At the very least there would be more pessimism around it, but I think the fans that stay by him will still strongly support him through it all.

The rest of the characters are probably in similar positions, the lack of inclusion will be a blow, but to the fanbases they'll remain for the characters particularly when it comes to the ones with strong support.

Last edited:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Well for me it will be interesting to see any of those characters (Hakkun, Donbe and Hikari or Mike Anderson) make it into the game because it will be like the first time I saw Ness, Marth, Roy or Mr. Game and Watch where I didn´t know about those characters but with time love them for being unique and introduce me to another Nintendo series that I didn´t know about.
.n_n.
Oh, I definitely agree with you there. Like, if a character has a major amount of relevance to Nintendo's history, but has been left in the dust, I'd love to see them make a comeback. For example, to see Hakkun make it into the game as the mascot for the Satellaview would be glorious. He is an interesting character and Sutte Hakkun's playstyle would be very unique translated into a fighting style. The ability to spawn damage inducing moving platforms and rocks from his own body would be absolutely awesome. However, I like to draw a line at just what kind of obscure characters I'm supporting: what do they exude or represent that another character can't?

D

Deleted member

I'd imagine if Ridley or K. Rool don't get in, their fanbases will persist long after the new Smash game is out. The only characters who threaten to cease existing in the interim between Smash Bros games are the one-offs, or incrementally new protagonists, for example Chrom. He's not likely to return in future Fire Emblem games, past the sequels of Awakening, and if he wasn't in Smash 4, he'd soon be replaced by another lord in game who would replace him as a rep in the next Smash, as far as predictions go.

On the other hand we have Ridley and K. Rool who are very unique characters with vastly different backgrounds, neither is likely to disappear from view if they're not a newcomer. In short, K. Rool won't be any worse off than before, he has been snubbed by Nintendo for however many years already, it's unlikely the fans would abandon him all at once for Nintendo to maintain that attitude. Ridley is simply an integral part of the speculative community, too big to remove. :dkmelee:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Oh, I definitely agree with you there. Like, if a character has a major amount of relevance to Nintendo's history, but has been left in the dust, I'd love to see them make a comeback. For example, to see Hakkun make it into the game as the mascot for the Satellaview would be glorious. He is an interesting character and Sutte Hakkun's playstyle would be very unique translated into a fighting style. The ability to spawn damage inducing moving platforms and rocks from his own body would be absolutely awesome. However, I like to draw a line at just what kind of obscure characters I'm supporting: what do they exude or represent that another character can't?
Well for me all the characters need some love even the obscure and no so important, look at Ice Climbers, they are obscure and no so important to whole History of Nintendo but I love them in Smash and will always been my main in every interaction and in the future because I love their design and moveset (their original game is a little boring I prefer Bubbles and Bubbles or Snow Bros from the NES era as type of game).
.n_n.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Jesus,my Ridley question has been going on all day.

And with my personal opinions at it's highest. I personally think that Ridley will not be confirmed.
Not for the "too big" cliche
Not for hate.

I just really don't expect it. What I do expect is an ass ton of questions from @ Hotfeet444 Hotfeet444

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Care to explain why that game in particular holds nostalgia?

I'm not trying to undermine your point or anything, I'm just genuinely curious.
At the risk of sounding a bit like Chronobound here, I think I'll take a shot at answering this.

There's the whole fact of it being the first game on the GBA. And while I do question the point Chronobound occasionally made about it being a revival of the series or a celebration of some sort, there's a kernel of truth to those claims. The game was the first released after Thracia 776(which was a SFC game released in 1999, for pete's sake), and it does distil elements from all the previous games(though I'm not sure that qualifies as a "celebration" as much as a "hey let's take a look at all the mechanics and ideas we introduced over the last two games and see which ones work the best").

The game also got what seems to me to be a lot of promotion when it was released. There was Roy's appearance in Smash before his game was released obv. There's also Hasha no Tsurugi, which was a loose adaptation/expansion of the game's plot in manga form. Of course, most of the other games in the series got manga adaptations as well, but HnT is notable in that, to my knowledge, it's the only one of the manga adaptations to be referenced within the game it's adapting. The main characters of the manga are referenced via special named weapons(Al's Sword, Gant's Lance, Tiena's Staff) that can be obtained through the campaign. Additionally, one of the bonus trial maps avaliable at a download event(yes, apparently all the GBA Fire Emblem games had Pokemon-style download events) was based on a chapter in the manga where Al and Gant rescue Tiena.

I'm just spit balling some ideas here. I honestly have no idea if what Chronobound says about the game being seen as 'nostalgic' is true or not, but if he is right, these could be some of the reasons for why that might be so.

(oh, and fyi some of the 'evidence' Chronobound occasionally used for why FE6 was supposedly such a big deal was total nonsense, like claiming that the game having some rearranged tunes from older FE games means it's some sort of series celebration)

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
At the risk of sounding a bit like Chronobound here, I think I'll take a shot at answering this.

There's the whole fact of it being the first game on the GBA. And while I do question the point Chronobound occasionally made about it being a revival of the series or a celebration of some sort, there's a kernel of truth to those claims. The game was the first released after Thracia 776(which was a SFC game released in 1999, for pete's sake), and it does distil elements from all the previous games(though I'm not sure that qualifies as a "celebration" as much as a "hey let's take a look at all the mechanics and ideas we introduced over the last two games and see which ones work the best").

The game also got what seems to me to be a lot of promotion when it was released. There was Roy's appearance in Smash before his game was released obv. There's also Hasha no Tsurugi, which was a loose adaptation/expansion of the game's plot in manga form. Of course, most of the other games in the series got manga adaptations as well, but HnT is notable in that, to my knowledge, it's the only one of the manga adaptations to be referenced within the game it's adapting. The main characters of the manga are referenced via special named weapons(Al's Sword, Gant's Lance, Tiena's Staff) that can be obtained through the campaign. Additionally, one of the bonus trial maps avaliable at a download event(yes, apparently all the GBA games had Pokemon-style download events) was based on a chapter in the manga where Al and Gant rescue Tiena.

I'm just spit balling some ideas here. I honestly have no idea if what Chronobound says about the game being seen as 'nostalgic' is true or not, but if he is right, these might be some of the reasons.

(oh, and fyi some of the 'evidence' Chronobound occasionally used for why FE6 was supposedly such a big deal was total nonsense, like claiming that the game having some rearranged tunes from older FE games means it's some sort of series celebration)
I'm confused.
And that's a rare moment.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Well for me all the characters need some love even the obscure and no so important, look at Ice Climbers, they are obscure and no so important to whole History of Nintendo but I love them in Smash and will always been my main in every interaction and in the future because I love their design and moveset (their original game is a little boring I prefer Bubbles and Bubbles or Snow Bros from the NES era as type of game).
.n_n.
I agree that Super Smash Bros. should reach out as far as Nintendo's video game history goes. I can also understand getting a few NES-era characters because those games helped define both Nintendo and video gaming in general, but didn't get a chance to take off past that system, for the most part. But other characters that didn't do a whole lot for Nintendo, while they should be exposed to the masses, they should be introduced as a smaller role, like an Assist Trophy, stage, item, cameo, or regular trophy. And from there, who knows? Maybe they'll get a revival and eventual character confirmation a la Little Mac.

As for the Ice Climbers, I agree that, while their Smash play style is pretty awesome, their game is on the boring side. I would much prefer Bubbles or Balloon Fighter (unfortunately, though, Balloon Fighter's odds are pretty much gone with Villager's Up B).

Last edited:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I agree that Super Smash Bros. should reach out as far as Nintendo's video game history goes. I can also understand getting a few NES-era characters because those games helped define both Nintendo and video gaming in general, but didn't get a chance to take off past that system, for the most part. But other characters that didn't do a whole lot for Nintendo, while they should be exposed to the masses, they should be introduced should be as a smaller role, like an Assist Trophy, stage, item, cameo, or regular trophy. And from there, who knows? Maybe they'll get a revival and eventual character confirmation a la Little Mac.

As for the Ice Climbers, I agree that, while their Smash play style is pretty awesome, their game is on the boring side. I would much prefer Bubbles or Balloon Fighter (unfortunately, though, Balloon Fighter's odds are pretty much gone with Villager's Up B).
Well for me characters that should be revived are: Mach Rider, Takamaru, Lip, Hakkun, Harry, Donbe and Hikari, Prince of Sable, Mike Jones, Lolo, Sukapon, Dion-Max-Jack and Mike Anderson (all of these series have potential to bring something new to Smash and could get a revival like Kid Icarus).
.n_n.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think the fact still stands that if Roy wasn't in Melee, he'd just be another Fire Emblem lord. Melee is old news by now.

Yeah, he was planned for Brawl. But so was Dr. Mario.

I know Roy is requested, but he's not in the same boat as Mewtwo. Mewtwo is in the spotlight for Pokemon. Roy is not a big deal to Fire Emblem at this point.

These two series are affected by recent events. They're not going to add Sigurd or Alm because they're lords from the series. Chrom makes sense to add if we're looking at things from a business standpoint.

I mean I don't care what happens with Roy, but I don't think his chances are as good as some make them out to be. Especially Chronobound. Popularity helps, but you need more than that.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Well for me characters that should be revived are: Mach Rider, Takamaru, Lip, Hakkun, Harry, Donbe and Hikari, Prince of Sable, Mike Jones, Lolo, Sukapon, Dion-Max-Jack and Mike Anderson (all of these series have potential to bring something new to Smash and could get a revival like Kid Icarus).
.n_n.
Likewise. I'd love to see Nintendo revisit any of their more obscure characters, to be quite honest. Some could still do the job as a Smash character where they stand, but even outside of Smash, to see Nintendo take a risk and say "Remember how we created such-and-such character? What would they look like nowadays?" would be something I would absolutely love. The oddities like Earthbound, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and such are the kind of releases that I just have to grab up. I see more than enough Mario.

Within Smash, though, Mach Rider and Hakkun are really the big two that would just send me into a frenzy of absolute happiness. Anyone else would just be icing on the cake, ultimately.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
To me, it's not as much a loss as Ridley, but not having Shulk, especially after we have confirmation that X has connections to Xenoblade, is being up-played ALOT for the Wii U and Monolith deserving to be represented as Nintendo's newest acquirement in terms of companies (This not including the fact that Xenoblade was one of the decade's greatest RPGs and one of the best games on the Wii), would be pretty damn shocking. Not to mention it seems like Sakurai has a liking for Xenoblade judging by some of his Twitter posts. Not going to say that's enough to make him a shoe-in, but I'd say he's a perfect way to, along with a retro character, make a perfect encompassing representation of new Nintendo franchises to the battle.

However, Shulk and Ridley are two sides of the same coin, one representing long-time needs and the other one being more recent needs.
Well, from my prospective at least, I feel as though Xenoblade Chronicles in general being skipped out would feel like a crime due to how the game is such a bold step with Nintendo. You know, a highly ambitious title that defied many odds and avoided the stigma that normally plagues new IPs Nintendo produces, being praised by critics and fans for being a fresh breath in a struggling RPG genre. So seeing that barely being referenced with only a trophy would feel like skipping out just for the sake of being incredibly ignorant. It's purely a case where, like Xenoblade Chronicles, being bold would be the only acceptable way of showing what it's all about.

Also for me, it's because Xenoblade Chronicles is indeed the perfect example that, yes, Nintendo can stray from it's traditions and still produce a quality product. After seeing the Mario games for so long, seeing such a game like Xenoblade Chronicles being produced feels like a fresh breath, and I am glad it was made during a time I was starting to get bored with Nintendo.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well, from my prospective at least, I feel as though Xenoblade Chronicles in general being skipped out would feel like a crime due to how the game is such a bold step with Nintendo.
Crime?
Do you want me to hire a translator to call the Tokyo Police Department to arrest Sakurai?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So....

What do you guys think about Captain Rainbow?

?????????????

Smash Master
I am suddenly seeing Captain Rainbow support.

...looks like Swampasaur is showing it!

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I don't think this helps Captain Rainbow's chances at all. I think Sakurai simply wanted to showcase the drastically different Little Mac from Captain Rainbow, as well as to help make said rather obscure game more well known.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
"I'VE JUST HEARD ABOUT (character) AND I WANT HIM/HER IN SMASH DESPITE HARDLY KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT THE CHARACTER OR ITS GAME AND BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING IT."

Not directed at anyone, by the way.

----

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I will know that ChronoBound will be upset and explain with a wall of text that the decision is the blunder of the century and that Sakurai's an idiot and blah blah blah.

But in general, expect a much more pessimistic and shrunken fanbase.
Oh, no.... Ridley's exclusion would be considered the blunder of the century in ChronoBound's eyes. You guys saw how he reacted when Pyrosphere was confirmed.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I never really took the idea of Captain Rainbow too seriously because it seemed weird to have a character that was made for a crossover game be in a different crossover game, (especially one from an obscure 2nd party game that was only in Japan) but maybe that doesn't matter. I can see him being added, maybe there could be a mechanic where you have to transform Nick into Captain Rainbow, maybe they could do something interesting with that.

D

Deleted member

In my opinion, Captain Rainbow is not iconic enough to be a character, not to mention his IP is rather... Bizarre.

I wouldn't mind however if he makes his way to become an AT.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think Sakurai will do whatever he pleases...
Doing whatever he wants=/= being a moron.

He isn't going to just add whoever. They have to make sense. There are some characters who, unfortunately, have popularity but don't have the complete package.

I just don't see him adding Roy and this has nothing to do with my liking for Chrom. That would be like advertising an older model of a car instead of the latest one. I just don't see it happening.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Doing whatever he wants=/= being a moron.

He isn't going to just add whoever. They have to make sense. There are some characters who, unfortunately, have popularity but don't have the complete package.

I just don't see him adding Roy and this has nothing to do with my liking for Chrom. That would be like advertising an older model of a car instead of the latest one. I just don't see it happening.
You seem to love this argument for some reason.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
So....

What do you guys think about Captain Rainbow?
-Every leak and his brother will include him as playable now.
-This helps his chances by a couple of %s, but he still could end up as AT fodder. If he gets in, I actually will be pleased because he seems pretty alright.
The trophy stuff doesn't confirm him, but it does show that they are indeed pulling stuff from that game. Whether it includes Rainbow himself or not, no idea.

"I'VE JUST HEARD ABOUT (character) AND I WANT HIM/HER IN SMASH DESPITE HARDLY KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT THE CHARACTER OR ITS GAME AND BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING IT."

Not directed at anyone, by the way.

----
But it's true. I try and support characters from games that I have played, completed and the like. Hence why I don't support Captain Rainbow, Sable and Lip. And hence why people always overrate people because flavor of the week logic.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Captain Rainbow's one of those games I love to read and watch about. I know it had crappy sales, but I would of bought it had it got an international release just because the premise intrigued me.

As for playable...if Captain Rainbow sends out the Captain Rainbow version of Little Mac, Takamaru and Lip and encorporates the many characters of his game in his moveset, I'm actually more than okay with his inclusion. In fact this is preferable for me to shove as many retro characters into one slot as possible.

However, Captain Rainbow on his own with just his yo-yo would probably be a little disappointing.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai's known to be a fan of Captain Rainbow apparently, so I could see him putting in the character, but not if all he does is yo-yo attacks and other joke-y things. The trophy's certainly a plus, though and who knows what Sakurai can come up with for a moveset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom