• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
Preferred 2nd Sega rep? Mine is the photon longsword-using Hunter class from the Phantasy Star franchise. I'd like to see the Photon Arts be used in this game. :4shulk: just doesn't cut it with the way he swings the Monado. I think this is a Hunter?

Again, just speculating. (Localize Phantasy Star Online 2 already, SEGA!)

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
My preferred second Sega rep is Bayonetta, but for a "think of the children" alternative, it's easily Tails.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Whereas Ryu was incredibly popular whether or not people remembered he was Capcom or not, I can't think of anyone who is incredibly popular that also happens to be from Sega. Aside from other Sonic characters that is.

The closest I can think of is Bayonetta, but I'm not convinced she has a big chance to be in Smash. All I can say is that she IS very well-known at this point, and just so happens to be owned by Sega.

I think looking at how popular or iconic a character is should be the first deciding factor when asking for third-party characters in Smash, rather than "Oh man, I really like this particular company and think it should get a / another character in Smash," and going from there. Then it sounds like asking for "reps," and that can get pretty silly.

(Yes, I know this is coming from someone who just finished saying he'd like a SMT character, which still isn't that well-known of a series, and also wants various Square Enix characters. I do want them but if I'm being incredibly realistic none if them have very high chances to be in Smash)

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
They're adding swordsmen because they are popular and people are asking for them.

:4myfriends:Every:4link:swordsman:4lucina:is:4marth:a:4metaknight:popular:4robinm:character.:4shulk:

:231:
Hopefully in the future there will be more popular character to balance out this swordsmen pandemic. I also understand they're popular but is it really necessary to have two and three of the same guy with small tweaks?

Comparing Ike to Roy is like comparing Mario to Captain Falcon.

Outright stupid.
Who is? I never said I was...

I think looking at how popular or iconic a character is should be the first deciding factor when asking for third-party characters in Smash, rather than "Oh man, I really like this particular company and think it should get a / another character in Smash," and going from there. Then it sounds like asking for "reps," and that can get pretty silly.
Shifting back to Namco for a moment. Which is why after some thought, I'm starting to think that Dig Dug is the next best Namco candidate.

-Iconic
-Arcade classic
- People DO know of the game
- Mentioned in other media outside of gaming
-Is in multiple games
- Potential for an interesting moveset.

Everything is right there, and bodes for more of a surprise. Tekken, though I love it a lot has always felt much like Virtual Fighter in that it feels well, generic. Honestly I've played 6 and tag tournament 2 and I like know maybe 4 characters off hand.

Though same four are probably the only ones that could stand out in crowd. Street fighter for example doesn't have that problem because well it has more uniquely designed characters. Not trying to be mean or flame/troll whatever this is just how I see things.

Nightmare, well while we do have a big man with a sword that pretty much Guts with fire already. I guess he's cool, I just hate that he'll most likely be a heavier Ike with worse recovery, so I guess Ikedoft. But to each there own. Swords R Cool.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Hopefully in the future there will be more popular character to balance out this swordsmen pandemic. I also understand they're popular but is it really necessary to have two and three of the same guy with small tweaks?

Who is? I never said I was...
I don't know two other swordsmen with fire-powers.

D

Deleted member

We need more characters that punch.

Vote Knuckles.
Unlike Sonic, he doesn't chuckle.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Are people arguing 'muh swords' again?
It's not the weapon that makes you a great warrior, but how you use it~TehEpicRyuga 2015
We need more characters that punch.

Vote Knuckles.
Unlike Sonic, he doesn't chuckle.
Can we have some sword characters for once instead of the boring fisticuffs? :p

Actually, isn't Knuckles going to be in PM?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
You know, I do enjoy Sonic the Hedgehog games, but there IS a limit.

I was not intending to start a fight or anything, I just simply don't think we need another Sonic character. That's all I wanted to say.
It's not the weapon that makes you a great warrior, but how you use it~TehEpicRyuga 2015

According to a leak that looks to good to be a hoax, yes.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You know, I do enjoy Sonic the Hedgehog games, but there IS a limit.

I was not intending to start a fight or anything, I just simply don't think we need another Sonic character. That's all I wanted to say.

According to a leak that looks to good to be a hoax, yes.
Who's saying the possible 2nd SEGA character would be Sonic?

That looked way to professional imo

Very likely yes.

Also Lyn. Who is awesome just for being Lyn.

And Isaac but who cares about him

D

Deleted member

Yes. Yes he is.

And if it's a sword you want instead of "boring fisticuffs", then here's your answer.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Yes. Yes he is.

And if it's a sword you want instead of "boring fisticuffs", then here's your answer.
EWwwwwwwwwwww The dark era of Sonic

Honestly I never got that game, here is a world where furries have the power to break though all matters of steel with their bodies, but no here's a game where they're all knights... What? Even as a spin off that's a bit, well, dumb. Also Sonic with a sword is the most awkward thing I have ever seen.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Ever since fairly recently, especially in the Tails support thread I've just been bombed too much for stating that I don't see it happening.

Nothing personal
I was curious as you seemed opposed to the idea that SEGA gets 2 characters, nothing personal either
Yes. Yes he is.

I genuinely enjoyed this game, Will to Fight the Knight should have been in Smash

D

Deleted member

EWwwwwwwwwwww The dark era of Sonic

Honestly I never got that game, here is a world where furries have the power to break though all matters of steel with their bodies, but no here's a game where they're all knights... What? Even as a spin off that's a bit, well, dumb. Also Sonic with a sword is the most awkward thing I have ever seen.
To be fair, it wasn't Sonic's world.
It was a storybook world based around Arthurian legend that Sonic was warped into.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I was curious as you seemed opposed to the idea that SEGA gets 2 characters, nothing personal either
It's not just me though, I'm sure 96% of the people I know that understand Smash pretty well would have the same sense of opposition to a second SEGA rep.

But on the other hand, at least I'm not worried about the idea of Sonic appearing in Smash in his attire from Sonic Boom. That would be awkward, don't you think?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It's not just me though, I'm sure 96% of the people I know that understand Smash pretty well would have the same sense of opposition to a second SEGA rep.
Well...We have 2 Capcom fighters, proving there is no rule 1 third party. Then again, SEGA has usually been terrible with their IP by almost exclusively using Sonic

Pakky

Smash Hero
To be fair, it wasn't Sonic's world.
It was a storybook world based around Arthurian legend that Sonic was warped into.
Ehhh, okay, that is true. I do commend Sonic Team for trying something new, but whew wee I don't know about that one.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I find it worth commenting on when I hear people say Tekken is generic. If it comes off as a dull game about dull people punching and kicking each-other in dull environments with dull moves, that's because, well, it's probably the most realistic fighter on the market. With a few extraneous exceptions (Alisa, dear, how do chainsaws even fit into your tiny white arms?!), every character's style is based on a genuine martial art form:

Jin and the rest of the Mishima / Kazama clan, as well as Paul - Karate

Eddy - Capoeira

Leo - Ba Ji Quan

Dragunov - Combat Sambo

Hwoarang - Tae Kwon Do

Marshall and Forrest Law - Jeet Kune Do

Even the more abstract styles have a basis in reality: Lilli's style is a combination of gymnastics and street fighting, Nina's style is honed from assassination techniques she studied while in the IRA, Yoshimitsu fights in a style reminiscent of kenjutsu, Kunimitsu and Raven are ninjas, Shaheen's style is crafted from modern military self-defense techniques, and so on and so forth.

There's a lot of variety there, and I think Heihachi could potentially be an interesting character in Smash, especially if he wielded a few of the more abstract moves of his fellow family members: who wouldn't want to see him toss out Kazuya's whirlwhind kick or Devil Jin's laser vision~?

Pakky

Smash Hero
I really would prefer Ivy over Nightmare because her snake blade is interesting.But alas, she is not E10

Last edited:

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
I think there is a very fine line between not expecting it or not advocating for it and being opposed to a second SEGA character. I wouldn't expect, nor would I avidly want Eggman or another Sonic/SEGA character in Smash. However, I think it would be cool to see what they could do with his moveset if they gave him his robot to fly around in, akin to Bowser Jr.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Damn, the more I think about it, the more I want to see Heihachi in Smash.

His home stage can be a shifting stage that transitions from Heihachi's Mishima Zaibatsu headquarters to Kazuya's G Corporation tower - the hype is real~ ;3

Damn, the more I think about it, the more I want to see Heihachi in Smash.

His home stage can be a shifting stage that transitions from Heihachi's Mishima Zaibatsu headquarters to Kazuya's G Corporation tower - the hype is real~ ;3
A heaihachi stage that doesn't involve a volcano?

I feel like that is a missed opportunity for spiking into said volcano
I only get this joke from Caddicarus

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Preferred 2nd Sega rep? Mine is the photon longsword-using Hunter class from the Phantasy Star franchise. I'd like to see the Photon Arts be used in this game. :4shulk: just doesn't cut it with the way he swings the Monado. I think this is a Hunter?

Again, just speculating. (Localize Phantasy Star Online 2 already, SEGA!)
A PSO character is my ideal choice too.
However...

This is who it should be.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
All this Heihachi talk actually makes me wish that Sakurai didn;t decided against having a Tekken character in Smash. That badass grandpa would be the perfect addition in Smash (Or if they decided to go with his more iconic younger appearance in the older games).

The funny thing is that one person wanted the Heihachi Mii Fighter outfit to wear a fundoshi during the interview and Sakurai said that would decide against that idea since it would ruin the A for All ages rating. So we can say that half naked older men wearing sumo gear is inappropriate for the kiddies? :troll:

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure it wasn't discussed about the Mii costume having the fundoshi.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm pretty sure it wasn't discussed about the Mii costume having the fundoshi.
You are actually right, they were referring to the real Heihachi himself. A skimpy Mii wouldn't really be that bad now that I think of it because the lack of detailed human anatomy in its appearance.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You are actually right, they were referring to the real Heihachi himself. A skimpy Mii wouldn't really be that bad now that I think of it because the lack of detailed human anatomy in its appearance.
I dunno, I think that'd be worse...
Besides...don't they have Giga Mac in the game already?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I dunno, I think that'd be worse...
Besides...don't they have Giga Mac in the game already?
I'm pretty sure a teenage boxer that hulked out is less "bad" than a middle aged man wearing sumo wrestling gear. Especially due to the possibility of buttocks or the other sensitive regions being partially exposed. You might want to you take a look at this "lovely" image from Wikipedia for example.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom