• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm bored, so I'm going to think up gimmicks for characters not commonly mentioned here.
Arthur: A heavy weight character with lots of power and lots of projectiles. However, when his damage meter hits 100%, he looses his armor and becomes light weight.
King Boo: A light weight character with a lot of power similar to Little Mac. He is the only character that can be completely invincible while attacking, however, his moves have quite a bit of lag.
Boy & Blob: A light weight character that acts a bit like a combination of Olimar, and Rosalina & Luma. The key difference being that attacking Blob will hurt the Boy, and vice versa. Blob is invulnerable when sent out though. The duo's attacks are a bit laggy.
And now I'm out of ideas.

Which is weird because its not like he's some nobody character. He should be second in line under Pac-man really. And I'm not being biased either. All this talk of Nightmare and Tekken is well, strange, they're cool characters but I fail to see the disinterest in Dig Dug.
I've put up a Bandana Dee moveset on the Bandana Dee thread, and had gotten only one reply saying he hated it when Bandana Dee was called Waddle Dee. It's not your character that's the problem.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Heihachi is the main antagonist of the series. He's essentially the M. Bison of the games, though there's usually "true" final boss after him, like Ogre or Unknown.

The protagonist of the series was originally Kazuya (Heihachi's son), though in Tekken 3, Jin (Heihachi's grandson) took over. The central theme of the story is the war between Heihachi's organisation, the Mishima Zaibatsu, and Kazuya's organisation, the Tekken Corporation, with Jin caught in the middle between the two. Heihachi tries to use Jin's cursed "Devil Gene" to awaken the boy's full power and take over the world, while Kazuya tries to use Jin for his own purposes and ultimately defeat his hated father.

Heihachi is just a very iconic character and essentially the mascot of the series, in the same way that Nightmare is the antagonist and mascot of the Soul series, even though Siegfried is the protagonist for most of the series up until V, when Patroklos takes over.

tl;dr - He's the bad guy, but he's very popular and the most iconic character in the series.
So he's Tekken's Nightmare? Still prefer Nightmare

Pakky

Smash Hero
I stumped as to why people want a boring swordsman... Yes I have played SC and I'm baffled at this.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
because :4myfriends: being :4link: a :4marth: swordsman :4metaknight: doesnt :4shulk: make :4robinm: you :4feroy: boring

its what you do with it
I am so ****ing sick of the 'would be clone' mentality. It shows that the people who say that have no originality. Not to mention, you play as a dude/dudette who pokes people with a sharp pointy object, there's a reason swords are some of the most popular weapons in media

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Which is weird because its not like he's some nobody character. He should be second in line under Pac-man really. And I'm not being biased either. All this talk of Nightmare and Tekken is well, strange, they're cool characters but I fail to see the disinterest in Dig Dug.

Also it's rude to express disinterest when someone is asking for a critique.
How recognisable do you actually think he is? I've never heard of him outside of a couple of mentions on this forum. He's also to my understanding a character who no longer appears outside of arcade rereleases and compilations. All this and a 3rd party to boot. Few people would have a vested interest in him in Smash even if they were attached to the character.

On the other hand, Tekken and SoulCalibur are both highly successful and acclaimed fighting games still around today. You're mad if you think Dig Dug is in front of either of these franchises in the line.

From where I see it, other people not responding to you about your character is significantly less rude than your attempts to derail their discussion of Nightmare with "boring swordsman" and whatnot.

I am so ****ing sick of the 'would be clone' mentality. It shows that the people who say that have no originality. Not to mention, you play as a dude/dudette who pokes people with a sharp pointy object, there's a reason swords are some of the most popular weapons in media
you fool you dont poke people with swords! tou stab or slash them

poking is for spears!
Anna and Ganon for smash

you fool you dont poke people with swords! tou stab or slash them

poking is for spears!
Anna and Ganon for smash
lol somehow I forgot to mention Bandana dee here too.

It would be nice to see a dedicated Dual Swords user though.
Seven for Sm4sh DLC!
Melia though. spear, staff, and magic user all in one :troll:
Fiora is my 2nd choice though.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So he's Tekken's Nightmare? Still prefer Nightmare
Essentially. He's much more charismatic than Nightmare and tends to get into quirky and humorous situations (he owns a pet bear and develops a youth serum so he can remain forever young and handsome, to offer examples), which has helped endear him to fans.

@ Pakky Pakky

The overall moveset is good, and I like how you've incorporated elements of Dig-Dug and Mr Driller (two of my favourite Namco games!), it's very creative and I can tell you're a fan of the series. That said, in terms of clarity of effect and character balance, I have a few criticisms for you:

- Could you explain how neutral-b works? When you say "hit three times successively", do you mean it takes three "pumps", or do you need to catch them with it three times in a row? The former sounds a tad overpowered, especially for a command grab, the latter almost redundant. Why does it reflect projectiles, anyway? It sounds like it'd work better as a grab than anything, or it could function like ZSS's side-b and grab, wherein the special does damage or has a special effect and the grab is a tether grab.

- Side-b is a bit weird. What do you mean by "chip damage"? What happens if he uses it in mid-air - does the block just fall down indefinitely like Kirby or Pac-man's down-b? Does it meteor smash in the air or just do scaled knockback like Kirby or Pacman's?

- Up-b confuses me. Is it like Pac-Man's trampoline, in that he summons an item and bounces off of it? Or is it like Dedede's old Waddle Dee that he can bounce off of? And why does the explosion have an electric effect? Would it not work better as a down-b, wherein he summons a few Pookas and he can blow them up like the Smash Run enemy?

- Down-b sounds unnecessarily powerful. It's one thing to have it explode, why does it need to release a multitude of projectiles as well? Incidentally, what does "functions as a smash" mean - do you mean it launches like a smash attack?

- Why is d-throw a kill throw? "Very early percents" is too powerful a kill for any move, especially with a grab, and especially a tether grab.

Good stuff overall - the taunts made me chuckle - it just needs some work. Good luck!

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Melia though. spear, staff, and magic user all in one :troll:
Fiora is my 2nd choice though.
Either of them would be great.
The whole Summon *insert elemental* would work welland Spear Break + Starlight Kick should be a two-hit side smash like :4zss:.
I am keen on having the arts combos be able to link together (as if my Dunban thread wasn't proof).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think the whole "too many swordsmen" business stems off of the motif rather than the moveset potential. However...
:4falcon::4drmario::4kirby::4littlemac::4lucario::4luigi::4mario::4miibrawl::4ryu::4sonic::4wiifit::4yoshi: are all (Using the term loosely) fist fighters. Everyone except Dr. Mario has a gimmick that allows them to be more different than the whole cast. So rather than just grouping characters together, we should just like what a character could bring to the battlefield, using a sword or otherwise.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You know, there are 3 characters left I think of when I hear Namco. Agumon, Lloyd Irving and Nightmare. Agumon would be great for sheer hilarity and I'd be glad to have the show I preffered represented even if it's not the based Tamers. Lloyd is a very unique character, magic AND dual swords, right? From what I understand, he has special moves that have similar inputs to Smash, not a Tales fan, but would be very happy. Nightmare. Yes, haven't played SC but yes. "Not kiddy enough"
SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE! *MGS gameover theme goes here*

I think the whole "too many swordsmen" business stems off of the motif rather than the moveset potential. However...
:4falcon::4drmario::4kirby::4littlemac::4lucario::4luigi::4mario::4miibrawl::4ryu::4sonic::4wiifit::4yoshi: are all (Using the term loosely) fist fighters. Everyone except Dr. Mario has a gimmick that allows them to be more different than the whole cast. So rather than just grouping characters together, we should just like what a character could bring to the battlefield, using a sword or otherwise.
I dont think wii fit trainer falls under the group of fist fighter. I dont think (s)he has ANY punches

lets continue this though
:4greninja::4sheik:-ninjas. completely unique. people still want impa

:4jigglypuff::4kirby:-puffballs. completely unique post 64

:4megaman::4samus:-robo armcannons. completely unique

:4myfriends::4marth:-FE swordsmen. completely unique

:4falco::4fox::wolf:-space animals. wolf is completely unique and falco shares like 3 moves at this point

:4dedede::popo:-hammer wielders. this one isnt exactly a fair comparison but you get the gist

:4lucas::4ness:-psychic kids with very similar proportions. only share 3 moves to my knowledge (well pk fire has the same me but the moves are totally different)

hell throw Isaac in there for sword users. we know he would be uber unique too.

I could probably continue and one or two of these are a stretch but there is always moveset potential there and just because 2 characters have the same theme doesnt mean they cant be unique (inb4 purple :4charizard:)

also we kind of have a dual sword fighter in :4pit: but there is way more untapped potential there

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I dont think wii fit trainer falls under the group of fist fighter. I dont think (s)he has ANY punches
:4wiifit::4wiifitm:
Just Yoga poses, stretches, a few bits of sport equipment and Sun Praising.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I was using the term loosely. Yoshi doesn't punch either. A better term would be weaponless melee fighters. (And now Kirby doesn't fit. :facepalm:. You get the idea though.)
:4falco::4fox::wolf::4falcon:-space animals. wolf is completely unique and falco shares like 3 moves at this point
Fixed. :p

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Namco characters, eh? Let's have the guy who was popular enough to have his own show from ShiftyLook and a few sequels.

Eat your heart out Pikachu because a real mouse needs to teach you what authority is.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
For fun~

Tell me what you think!

M. BISON BRINGS THE POWER!

* Neutral-b - Psycho Shot *

Bison throws an energy projectile fueled by his Psycho Power. It's not very strong, but the speed is impressive.

- Custom 1 - Psycho Charge -

Bison throws a projectile that can be charged to travel further and deal more damage, though it's slower when released.

- Custom 2 - Psycho Volt -

Bison releases a burst of dark flames from his hands that doesn't travel, but does immense damage and knockback.

* Side-b - Psycho Crusher *

Bison spins forward, wreathed in dark flames, and crushes everything in his path. A powerful yet slow move that hits multiple times before launching.

- Custom 1 - Psycho Chaos -

Bison's spin travels much more slowly, though the motion lasts longer and does even more damage before launching.

- Custom 2 - Psycho Terror -

Bison spins upwards at a diagonal angle, traveling further in a motion that's much faster though also much weaker and which doesn't launch.

* Up-B - Bison Warp *

Bison warps in the direction aimed. It's a quick yet harmless teleport recovery.

- Custom 1 - Psycho Warp -

Bison's warp releases an explosion of dark flames when he materialises, though he travels a mere half the distance.

- Custom 2 - Madman Warp -

Bison warps forward a short distance and can then change direction in a second warp; the distance traveled is halved for both trips.

* Down-b - Knee Press *

Bison slams into his opponent with a spinning scissor kick. A brutal close-range move with great knockback.

- Custom 1 - Momentum Press -

Bison jumps forward with a scissor kick that sacrifices most of its damage output in exchange for a higher upward trajectory.

- Custom 2 - Hell Press -

Bison crushes the opponent under the heel of an intense jump that doesn't travel very far, but which buries when it connects.

* Final Smash - Nightmare Booster *

Bison unleashes the full extent of his Psycho Power with a savage combo. He grabs the opponent first, then hoists them into the air with his Psycho Crusher, followed by a brutal throw to the ground and a climactic stomp that utterly decimates them under his almighty heel. It only targets one opponent, and since it functions as a grab, it's unblockable.

Jab - Bison punches twice, then follows up with a burning fist than stuns when it connects
Dash - Bison knocks down the opponent with a furious knee to the torso
F-tilt - Bison throws out a crushing roundhouse kick
U-tilt - Bison swings a burning fist overhead in a deadly uppercut
D-tilt - Bison slides forward and strikes with both feet
F-smash - Bison folds his arms and laughs while charging, then thrusts two burning palms forward
U-smash - Bison thrusts his palm overhead and releases a burst of dark flames
D-smash - Bison stamps his foot down, releasing a burst of dark flames in front of him
N-air - Bison thrusts two burning palms out at either side of his body
F-air - Bison dives forward and thrusts out two flaming hands
B-air - Bison turns around and thrusts a high kick outwards
U-air - Bison thrusts two burning palms overhead
D-air - Bison folds his arms and brings both feet crashing down; this move spikes if it hits
Grab - Bison grabs the opponent with one hand and hoists them upwards
Pummel - Bison charges the opponent with dark flames
F-throw - Bison throws the opponent overhead with a savage toss
B-throw - Bison throws the opponent into the air, kicks them and then tosses them back with his foot
U-throw - Bison throws the opponent into the air and thrusts a burning palm into them
D-throw - Bison throws the opponent to the ground and stomps on them

Entrance - Warps into battle and throws his cape off

Taunt 1 - Drags his thumb across his throat - "Worthless!"
Taunt 2 - Floats in the air with his arms crossed and utters a cruel laugh
Taunt 3 - Takes his hat off and slicks back his hair

Victory 1 - Thrusts his hands out at either side, burning with dark flames - "My Psycho Power knows no limits!"
Victory 2 - Floats into the air with his arms crossed - "Kneel before the mighty Bison!"
Victory 3 - Throws his cape back and laughs maniacally
Victory (vs Ryu) - Floats into the air with his arms crossed - "Your fist is nothing to my Psycho Power!"

Kirby hat - Kirby dons Bison's feared red cap, replete with the diabolical Shadaloo emblem

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
But, when have we ever gotten any of those before the definitive main character or most iconic main character in a series.

We didn't get Palutena or Wolf first, you know.
I'd call him more the face character than the definitive main character seeing as he's only the main character of one game out of a series with currently 2 games

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd call him more the face character than the definitive main character seeing as he's only the main character of one game out of a series with currently 2 games
That sounds a lot like Fulgore from Killer Instinct. Till the 3rd main game(the Xbox One version), Fulgore was on the first two cartridges, then there was Gargos for the N64 version(Killer Instinct II). Jago finally became the face of the last game, which is funny since he's the main hero.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
From what I understand, Heihachi is the family name, kinda like Link being the protagonit but changing.
Heihachi is the main antagonist of the series. He's essentially the M. Bison of the games, though there's usually "true" final boss after him, like Ogre or Unknown.

The protagonist of the series was originally Kazuya (Heihachi's son), though in Tekken 3, Jin (Heihachi's grandson) took over. The central theme of the story is the war between Heihachi's organisation, the Mishima Zaibatsu, and Kazuya's organisation, the Tekken Corporation, with Jin caught in the middle between the two. Heihachi tries to use Jin's cursed "Devil Gene" to awaken the boy's full power and take over the world, while Kazuya tries to use Jin for his own purposes and ultimately defeat his hated father.

Heihachi is just a very iconic character and essentially the mascot of the series, in the same way that Nightmare is the antagonist and mascot of the Soul series, even though Siegfried is the protagonist for most of the series up until V, when Patroklos takes over.

tl;dr - He's the bad guy, but he's very popular and the most iconic character in the series.
I appreciate the replies! And ok it all makes sense now. Kinda reminds me of Morrigan in Darkstalkers. She isn't even the protagonist but you see her more than Demitri.

I only played one Tekken game and it had True Ogre being the final boss if I remember correctly, so I was a little off.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
For fun~

Tell me what you think!

Bison throws an energy projectile fueled by his Psycho Power. It's not very strong, but the speed is impressive.

Bison throws a projectile that can be charged to travel further and deal more damage, though it's slower when released.

Bison releases a burst of dark flames from his hands that doesn't travel, but does immense damage and knockback.

Bison spins forward, wreathed in dark flames, and crushes everything in his path. A powerful yet slow move that hits multiple times before launching.

Bison's spin travels much more slowly, though the motion lasts longer and does even more damage before launching.

Bison spins upwards at a diagonal angle, traveling further in a motion that's much faster though also much weaker and which doesn't launch.

* Up-B - Bison Warp *

Bison warps in the direction aimed. It's a quick yet harmless teleport recovery.

Bison's warp releases an explosion of dark flames when he materialises, though he travels a mere half the distance.

Bison warps forward a short distance and can then change direction in a second warp; the distance traveled is halved for both trips.

* Down-b - Knee Press *

Bison slams into his opponent with a spinning scissor kick. A brutal close-range move with great knockback.

Bison jumps forward with a scissor kick that sacrifices most of its damage output in exchange for a higher upward trajectory.

Bison crushes the opponent under the heel of an intense jump that doesn't travel very far, but which buries when it connects.

Bison unleashes the full extent of his Psycho Power with a savage combo. He grabs the opponent first, then hoists them into the air with his Psycho Crusher, followed by a brutal throw to the ground and a climactic stomp that utterly decimates them under his almighty heel. It only targets one opponent, and since it functions as a grab, it's unblockable.

Jab - Bison punches twice, then follows up with a burning fist than stuns when it connects
F-smash - Bison folds his arms and laughs while charging, then thrusts two burning palms forward
D-smash - Bison stamps his foot down, releasing a burst of dark flames in front of him
D-air - Bison folds his arms and brings both feet crashing down; this move spikes if it hits
B-throw - Bison throws the opponent into the air, kicks them and then tosses them back with his foot
U-throw - Bison throws the opponent into the air and thrusts a burning palm into them

Victory 1 - Thrusts his hands out at either side, burning with dark flames - "My Psycho Power knows no limits!"
Victory 2 - Floats into the air with his arms crossed - "Kneel before the mighty Bison!"
Victory (vs Ryu) - Floats into the air with his arms crossed - "Your fist is nothing to my Psycho Power!"

Kirby hat - Kirby dons Bison's feared red cap, replete with the diabolical Shadaloo emblem
Please don't do this to me. :crying:

M. Bison is like my favorite Street Fighter. Him and Ken Masters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Heihachi actually being considered... I swear just about anything can really happen in the future of Smash now. Ryu was already crazy, but then again, so was Snake innitially. I was always hoping adamantly that Sakurai wouldn't go further than adding Snake. And eventually, Snake and Sonic.

But I guess I don't mind too much that there are 3rd party characters in the game playable, but I don't exactly want more time spend on developing 3rd party characters than big names from either established series, or other overlooked series (Golden Sun, Chibi Robo ect).

Personally, am really hoping Ryu was the last 3rd party addition to the game.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I care about importan characters getting in than I do my own characters getting in.
I think all of Isaac, King K Rool, Toad, and Ridley should be playable before Midna, for example.
Although, if I'm being honest, I think one of Midna or Skull Kid is close to as overdue as them.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Essentially. He's much more charismatic than Nightmare and tends to get into quirky and humorous situations (he owns a pet bear and develops a youth serum so he can remain forever young and handsome, to offer examples), which has helped endear him to fans.

@ Pakky Pakky

The overall moveset is good, and I like how you've incorporated elements of Dig-Dug and Mr Driller (two of my favourite Namco games!), it's very creative and I can tell you're a fan of the series. That said, in terms of clarity of effect and character balance, I have a few criticisms for you:

- Could you explain how neutral-b works? When you say "hit three times successively", do you mean it takes three "pumps", or do you need to catch them with it three times in a row? The former sounds a tad overpowered, especially for a command grab, the latter almost redundant. Why does it reflect projectiles, anyway? It sounds like it'd work better as a grab than anything, or it could function like ZSS's side-b and grab, wherein the special does damage or has a special effect and the grab is a tether grab.

- Side-b is a bit weird. What do you mean by "chip damage"? What happens if he uses it in mid-air - does the block just fall down indefinitely like Kirby or Pac-man's down-b? Does it meteor smash in the air or just do scaled knockback like Kirby or Pacman's?

- Up-b confuses me. Is it like Pac-Man's trampoline, in that he summons an item and bounces off of it? Or is it like Dedede's old Waddle Dee that he can bounce off of? And why does the explosion have an electric effect? Would it not work better as a down-b, wherein he summons a few Pookas and he can blow them up like the Smash Run enemy?

- Down-b sounds unnecessarily powerful. It's one thing to have it explode, why does it need to release a multitude of projectiles as well? Incidentally, what does "functions as a smash" mean - do you mean it launches like a smash attack?

- Why is d-throw a kill throw? "Very early percents" is too powerful a kill for any move, especially with a grab, and especially a tether grab.

Good stuff overall - the taunts made me chuckle - it just needs some work. Good luck!
See this is what I wanted,thank you.

- True I will make an edit though I found trouble actually figuring out how the pumping would work in Smash without it being too overpowered. I also did want such an important part to be subjected to being only a grab. Not sure how to improve this one. I was going for the former.

-It falls indifferently downwards, and I'm thinking it should do a scaled knock back like Pac-man's down-B

- Understood and yes I was going for a Dedede like move but perhaps it would be better suited for his Down B

-Yes that's what I meant by "Smash" and perhaps this should be changed to better suit the needs of an Up B

- I will tone down the throw

Thank you so much for this critique, I will change and or nerf those things mention to make the character more believable.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
For fun~

Tell me what you think!

* Up-B - Bison Warp *

* Down-b - Knee Press *

Great set, I love M Bison and Chun Li.

Question, seeing as how M. Bison is a Charge character do you think it would be good or taxing to give him a little bit of stall on his moves? Or at least some time in between move so he can't use the same moves in succession.

Edit: sorry for the double post :/

Last edited:

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
So if Heihachi were to be added to Smash, would you prefer his older or younger self to be included? I'd prefer the older Heihachi... Smash needs badass grandpas

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Great set, I love M Bison and Chun Li.

Question, seeing as how M. Bison is a Charge character do you think it would be good or taxing to give him a little bit of stall on his moves? Or at least some time in between move so he can't use the same moves in succession.

Edit: sorry for the double post :/
It could work. I think he'd need to be especially powerful to compensate, considering a character that has to cool down between moves has a fairly taxing disadvantage in competitive play.

I think he'd be fine without Ryu's complex tiered moves, though, it would just needlessly complicate Bison's playstyle and neuter what makes Ryu such an interesting character.

D

Deleted member

I dont see the problem with fans wanting what they want ;)

hell if the potential is there for a unique/popular newcomer I dont see any downside of upgrading (as much as I dont think its happening)

*cough* the group I made makes me bias *cough*

I now just realized Isaac is one of the more popular DLC characters right now. I wonder how his popularity would be if he was still an AT. . .
Probably noticeably lower since most everyone would be pessimistic about Isaac getting in future games as a newcomer. Given that we have no signs of Golden Sun coming back as a franchise, the ballot is probably the last shot he's ever going to have at becoming DLC.
Remember when everybody and their mom thought that Lloyd Irving was the second most-likely Namco rep after PAC-MAN?

That was great...
I actually was one of the few who thought Lloyd Irving was more likely than Pac-Man for a brief period of time. Of course this stopped after Pac-Man got leaked at E3 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom