• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm pretty sure a teenage boxer that hulked out is less "bad" than a middle aged man wearing sumo wrestling gear. Especially due to the possibility of buttocks or the other sensitive regions being partially exposed. You might want to you take a look at this "lovely" example from Wikipedia for example.

Oh...
That's...
I was thinking of something else. Nevermind. Embarrass

Pakky

Smash Hero
DON'T YOU EVER TALK ABOUT THAT GAME!

I guess I missed the "Too many people use swords in the game" discussion. Why does this matter? If they play differently, why do you care.
Personally I feel like the choices out there are way too vast to settle for something that is even slightly similar. This doesn't just apply to swordsmen I feel this way about everything. However in terms of Soul Calibur I would prefer Ivy because she's not even a swordsmen. Where Nightmare is badass I see him as a fatter Ike. Howe that's just me.

Now if we're talking Namco in general, the only one that makes sense to me and who should be first in line is Dig Dug. I'm not trying to be obnoxious about this and if you think I am for some arbitrary reason too bad. I originally thought that Nightmare or Heihachi were prime candidates until I sat down and thought about it. Once Dig Dug (Taizo Hori) came to mind I was baffled, that no one else was talking about him. I bring him up here and no one has heard of him apparently which is also very, very odd. Because I know he's not some obscure character, no he's a big deal. And him being ignored is rather odd to say the least, unless there is some piece of information that I'm missing here.

And no I'm not whining or anything childish like that I'm generally confused as to why he hasn't come up sooner. To me it's like ignoring Sonic for Ristar or something. Also that was not a segway to talk about Ristar...

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Well...We have 2 Capcom fighters, proving there is no rule 1 third party. Then again, SEGA has usually been terrible with their IP by almost exclusively using Sonic
Jesus, when will people stop thinking of Mega Man and Ryu as Capcom reps? They are both gaming icons and both deserved to get in on their own merit. I don't know what I find more annoying - the people opposed to having Ryu just because he's owned by the same company as Mega Man but would sing his praises if he were owned by any other company but SEGA, or the people who somehow think his presence means that SEGA and Namco are suddenly going to get a 2nd character in because "muhcompanyreps" without any consideration of whether those characters stand a chance.

Basically I just wish that any 3rd Party character were considered in the context of the series. Take away the company name from them, and just think about the character themselves. That way we'd be wasting less time thinking that fairly run of the mill 3rd parties somehow have a chance just because Capcom happen to own two Gaming Icons.

Rant over. Apologies to whomever I've quoted (forgotten by now) as I don't think you were saying either of the things I've ranted about; just a trigger I guess.

With all this said, in my mind the only other SEGA characters with any chance of appearing in my opinion are Tails, Knuckles or Dr Eggman. Sonic is their only truly iconic franchise and these three are the next most iconic from said franchise.

In terms of Namco, Galaga certainly has the chops but is already in the game and would be very difficult to make a fighter. As far as Tekken goes, I would rate Heihachi and Yoshimitsu as the characters with a chance from there, with Yoshi mitsu also representing SoulCalibur (I don't really think any other SC character has a chance except maybe Nightmare, which is a shame given how cool Voldo is). I don't rate any of Namco other franchises highly enough to get a character.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Badass grandpa?

Cap'n Cuttlefish is the only choice.
I guess there's also Vince from Art Academy

I'm pretty sure a teenage boxer that hulked out is less "bad" than a middle aged man wearing sumo wrestling gear. Especially due to the possibility of buttocks or the other sensitive regions being partially exposed. You might want to you take a look at this "lovely" image from Wikipedia for example.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Jesus, when will people stop thinking of Mega Man and Ryu as Capcom reps? They are both gaming icons and both deserved to get in on their own merit. I don't know what I find more annoying - the people opposed to having Ryu just because he's owned by the same company as Mega Man but would sing his praises if he were owned by any other company but SEGA, or the people who somehow think his presence means that SEGA and Namco are suddenly going to get a 2nd character in because "muhcompanyreps" without any consideration of whether those characters stand a chance.

Basically I just wish that any 3rd Party character were considered in the context of the series. Take away the company name from them, and just think about the character themselves. That way we'd be wasting less time thinking that fairly run of the mill 3rd parties somehow have a chance just because Capcom happen to own two Gaming Icons.

Rant over. Apologies to whomever I've quoted (forgotten by now) as I don't think you were saying either of the things I've ranted about; just a trigger I guess.

With all this said, in my mind the only other SEGA characters with any chance of appearing in my opinion are Tails, Knuckles or Dr Eggman. Sonic is their only truly iconic franchise and these three are the next most iconic from said franchise.

In terms of Namco, Galaga certainly has the chops but is already in the game and would be very difficult to make a fighter. As far as Tekken goes, I would rate Heihachi and Yoshimitsu as the characters with a chance from there, with Yoshi mitsu also representing SoulCalibur (I don't really think any other SC character has a chance except maybe Nightmare, which is a shame given how cool Voldo is). I don't rate any of Namco other franchises highly enough to get a character.
Seriously no one knows what Dig Dug is? Am I being trolled?

Last edited:
Seriously no one knows what Dig Dug is? Am I being trolled?
I know who dig dug is. But he certainly doesnt have the importance or ongoing popularity that the other 3rd parties have. Galaga is definitely the bigger one. Dig dug went by the wayside while galaga stayed moderately iconic, while soul calibur and tekken are decently big. Ot that big but at least bigger than dig dug is.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I know who dig dug is. But he certainly doesnt have the importance or ongoing popularity that the other 3rd parties have. Galaga is definitely the bigger one. Dig dug went by the wayside while galaga stayed moderately iconic, while soul calibur and tekken are decently big. Ot that big but at least bigger than dig dug is.
Really now?

A full two series of games

-Dig Dug classic & Mr.Driller
all together that's about nine games.

-Has been mentioned in a lot of media outside of gaming

-is 30 years old

So I'm not sure Nightmare & Heihachi are more popular than him. Certainly not Nightmare, he hasn't been in anything other than SC, Heihachi and Dig Dug are very close in accolades. However wouldn't say he bulldozes him.

My point is that I feel that Dig Dug has enough going for him to be part of the conversation. And yes while the series is not ongoing it is a popular and well referenced game in gaming history.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I wasn't going 'muh capcom reps', I fully agree that Ryu and Mega Man are some of the most iconic video game characters. I just feel like Namco deserves 2 characters because they helped work on the game

Pakky

Smash Hero
A character who's mostly had ports of his first game, a smurf who burrowed into the ground and pumped people with air, pretty insignificant
Which is why he's mention in movies and television. Oh wait when the last time Nightmare has been mention or referenced in anything outside of Soul calibur? Oh yeah never. Oh and it's not like Pookas are in Smash already because that would be crazy.

what the heck is a dig dug?
An arcade classic from 1982

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
This is the goriest game ever. The 'hero' shoves a hose up that cute little fellas backside and pumps him full of air until his body ruptures and bursts at the seams. What a monster.
Eat your heart out Nightmare. lol

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Bubsy was on TV once, and was thus referenced outside of his native video game medium. Nobody cared about that either.

This is coming from someone who thinks Taizo Hori (the Dig Dig guy) would be cool in Smash. Just don't mention out-of-video-games appearances if virtually nobody remembers them because I sure as hell don't remember Dig Dug's.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Bubsy was on TV once, and was thus referenced outside of his native video game medium. Nobody cared about that either.

This is coming from someone who thinks Taizo Hori (the Dig Dig guy) would be cool in Smash. Just don't mention out-of-video-games appearances if virtually nobody remembers them because I sure as hell don't remember Dig Dug's.
I bring them up because its happening again now in that new Adam Sandler movie. And he was in Wreck- Ralph.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/p...-to-appear-in-adam-sandler-pixels-1201266466/

http://wreckitralph.wikia.com/wiki/Taizo_Hori

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
This is the goriest game ever. The 'hero' shoves a hose up that cute little fellas backside and pumps him full of air until his body ruptures and bursts at the seams. What a monster.
Welp, he's too violent for smash, sorry Digdug fans! Looks like you'll just have to enjoy murdering cute innocent Pookas instead of Nintendo's greatest heroes + co.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Welp, he's too violent for smash, sorry Digdug fans! Looks like you'll just have to enjoy murdering cute innocent Pookas instead of Nintendo's greatest heroes + co.
Not really he can be watered down. Also your jokes are bad.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I bring them up because its happening again now in that new Adam Sandler movie. And he was in Wreck- Ralph.
I don't really remember him in any significant appearance in Wreck-It Ralph, if we're talking about well-known old-school arcade game characters I remember Q*bert a lot more.

Please don't bring up appearances in that awful new Adam Sandler "Pixels" movie as a supporting point toward Taizo Hori. You make us fans of his look bad.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I don't really remember him in any significant appearance in Wreck-It Ralph, if we're talking about well-known old-school arcade game characters I remember Q*bert a lot more.

Please don't bring up appearances in that awful new Adam Sandler "Pixels" movie as a supporting point toward Taizo Hori. You make us fans of his look bad.
I mentioned it because he made a cameo. The quality of the movie is subjective because I haven't seen it yet. In any case he is also in two game series which is more than I can say for the other two namco characters in this discussion. My point is that Dig Dug is not insignificant in fact the truth of the matter is that out of the three Nightmare is the only one who is really insignificant.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Ikr? I used to cringe when I played this game.
Silent Hill 2? Amnesia? Eternal Darkness? None of those even compare to the horrors of Digdug!

Actually, what video game characters were used in WIR who didn't appear in arcades? I know Bowser and Sonic have appeared, Mario Kart and SegaSonic the hedgehog

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I mentioned it because he made a cameo. The quality of the movie is subjective because I haven't seen it yet.
You haven't even seen the movie and you're trying to use it as support anyway?

Okay, first of all, go watch Wreck-It Ralph, it's a great movie.

Second of all try to understand what you reference when you reference things. If you haven't seen / played the stuff that Taizo Hori appears in yourself, then you run the risk of looking bad when you try citing the stuff as favorable when it might not be. It's like someone citing an article about how vegetables have gotten healthier in the past month as a way to get more people to go vegetarian, but then when they read the article the vegetables have only gotten healthier by 0.7% since the last 10 years. Even if it's a true statistic the person who cited that article clearly didn't read it because who would try citing a 0.7% increase in healthiness at all when no one will care about such an insignificant number like that?

Actually, what video game characters were used in WIR who didn't appear in arcades? I know Bowser and Sonic have appeared, Mario Kart and SegaSonic the hedgehog
I don't remember, I haven't watched the movie in a while.

Pakky

Smash Hero
You haven't even seen the movie and you're trying to use it as support anyway?

Okay, first of all, go watch Wreck-It Ralph, it's a great movie.

Second of all try to understand what you reference when you reference things. If you haven't seen / played the stuff that Taizo Hori appears in yourself, then you run the risk of looking bad when you try citing the stuff as favorable when it might not be. It's like someone citing an article about how vegetables have gotten healthier in the past month as a way to get more people to go vegetarian, but then when they read the article the vegetables have only gotten healthier by 0.7% since the last 10 years. Even if it's a true statistic the person who cited that article clearly didn't read it because who would try citing a 0.7% increase in healthiness at all when no one will care about such an insignificant number like that?

I don't remember, I haven't watched the movie in a while.
I have seen/own Wreck Ralph, and I have played the original Dig Dug, and I have made a set for him on this site. I used "Pixels" as support to show relevance outside of the gaming media If Dig Dug isn't relevant or memorable then it wouldn't be reference in any way in anything.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I have a Geno related question. Does anyone think he has any chance at all? I ask this as a certain someone told me Geno would be a good rep and would be revived by Smash like Pit, saying Pit wasn't requested because he hadn't heard of him. Honestly, the only way Geno could be more dead is if SE made a Geno puppet and recorded themselves throwing it in a fire

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm just trying to think of third party characters I think are "iconic."

Ignoring series, company, etc...

Hmm....

Outside of the third parties we have in Smash...

Rayman
Cloud
Master Chief
Bomberman
Pyramid Head
Jill Valentine
Frogger
Simon Belmont
Gordon Freeman
Heihachi
Nightmare
Scorpion
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Kratos
Call of Duty Soldier
Dance Dance Revolution Guy
World of Warcraft Character
Leage of Legends Character
Grand Theft Auto Character
Sim
Lara Craft
DoomGuy
Slime

There are more I'm sure, but I thought this was a good list.

Third Party characters in Smash should have comparable pedigree.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero

Hmm....

Rayman
Cloud
Master Chief
Bomberman
Pyramid Head
Jill Valentine
Frogger
Simon Belmont
Gordon Freeman
Heihachi
Nightmare
Scorpian
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Kratos
Call of Duty Soldier
Sim
Laura Craft
DoomGuy
Slime

They should have comparable pedigree.
Man no Dig Dug? Like at all? No one sees him as iconic? Really? Welp I give up.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Hmm....

Rayman
Cloud
Master Chief
Bomberman
Pyramid Head
Jill Valentine
Frogger
Simon Belmont
Gordon Freeman
Heihachi
Nightmare
Scorpian
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Kratos
Call of Duty Soldier
Sim
Laura Craft
DoomGuy
Slime

They should have comparable pedigree.
I have to say, some of these ideas are silly, but some of them surprisingly work well, if Pyramid Head can be in a sports game then Smash wouldn't be too hard to think of. Also, you accidentally spelled Scorpion wrong

HEIL DIE GRAMMATIK

Pakky

Smash Hero
I have to say, some of these ideas are silly, but some of them surprisingly work well, if Pyramid Head can be in a sports game then Smash wouldn't be too hard to think of. Also, you accidentally spelled Scorpion wrong

HEIL DIE GRAMMATIK
So Pyramid would be better than Dig Dug? Really?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Man no Dig Dug? Like at all? No one sees him as iconic? Really? Welp I give up.
Eh.

He'd probably go in there too.

HEIL DIE GRAMMATIK
Again, this was ignoring company, feasability, etc.

Just listing some iconic characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Eh.

He'd probably go in there too.

Again, this was ignoring company, feasability, etc.

Just listing some iconic characters.
With silly, I should have said creative, because I was ignoring companies. Dance Dance Revolution guy is a silly idea but would be interesting nontheless. Kinda like WFT, so in a way, I'm calling you Sakurai
mashpotato swampy-rai plz but my most wanted in

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord

Hmm....

Rayman
Cloud
Master Chief
Bomberman
Pyramid Head
Jill Valentine
Frogger
Simon Belmont
Gordon Freeman
Heihachi
Nightmare
Scorpion
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Kratos
Call of Duty Soldier
Sim
Laura Craft
DoomGuy
Slime

Third Party characters in Smash should have comparable pedigree.
I'd add Chell from Portal and any of the classes from Team Fortress 2, since The Orange Box was really popular and included their games alongside Gordon Freeman's, allowing them in turn to be really well-known.

Also it's Lara Croft not Laura Craft

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'd add Chell from Portal and any of the classes from Team Fortress 2, since The Orange Box was really popular and included their games alongside Gordon Freeman's, allowing them in turn to be really well-known.

I considered the TF2 classes and Chell but I think they just barely miss the mark.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Chell is way too strong, she just needs to shoot the blastzone and then the enemy, boom!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom