• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
If Roy hadn't already been added in Melee, I would have Leif in my roster. No contest. (Except Tactician)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
HOLD IT!!

is leif a guy or girl?

I can't tell anymore..... this is worse than marth...

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Would it be out of the question for the possibility of Lucina using a Stance Changing mechanic?
Yes. Because it'd be like suggesting Lucas have all his own unique PSI abilities and Toon Link use his own items.

That on its own would make her unique. Given, that could be applied to most Fire Emblem characters and I'm not in support of Lucina herself, but it'd be a unique moveset in Smash Bros. regardless and I can at least acknowledge the potential for that.
Potential yes. But, a lot of things are potential. That doesn't make them likely.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
DONT JUDGE ME I NEVER SAW A PICTURE OF HER AND NOBODY REFFERED TO BY HER GENDER UNTIL NOW

:facepalm: <- this is me
YOU BETTER BELIEVE I WILL JUDGE YOU AND YOU BETTER HOPE I DON'T GET A 9.

Oh, don't worry 'bout it.

Back in early 2006 when I first became a Kingdom Hearts fan, I thought Vexen and Marluxia of Organization XIII were female. Now, Marluxia, I can understand why some people think he's a girl, but Vexen?

WAIT

is leif a guy or girl.

I can't tell anymore..... this is worse than marth...
He's male.

Sadly, I don't find Leif or Sigurd or Seliph or any other older FE characters likely.
I can only imagine characters like "Robin" and Chrom and Lucina from Awakening...

-----

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
The debates that Chrom/Lucina will be unique reminds me of pre-Brawl with the whole Wind Waker Link thing.
Actually, they remind me of the pre-Dec 18th arguments that Rosalina will be a Peach clone because she is also a Princess from the Mario series with Blond hair.
Since Chrom and Lucina are not Marth or Ike in a different artstyle, and are called clones for being blue-haired FE lords (specifically Chrom) with swords, this comparison makes much more sense.

And look at what happened to Rosalina... ;)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Actually, they remind me of the pre-Dec 18th arguments that Rosalina will be a Peach clone because she is also a Princess from the Mario series with Blond hair.
Since Chrom and Lucina are not Marth or Ike in a different artstyle, and are called clones for being blue-haired FE lords (specifically Chrom) with swords, this comparison makes much more sense.

Nah, it's a lot more like Wind Waker Link.

People coming up with a lot of unorthodox ideas and being highly in denial that the character will be based on another character.

Also, those Rosalina naysayers were idiots. I'm sorry, but please do the ****ing research before spewing garbage.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Yes. Because it'd be like suggesting Lucas have all his own unique PSI abilities and Toon Link use his own items.

Potential yes. But, a lot of things are potential. That doesn't make them likely.
In the context of neither of them already being in Smash Bros., why exactly is that an impossibility? I'm not even talking about a veteran here. If Sakurai could pull off Rosalina's and Little Mac's unique movesets, surely a mechanic that switches the attributes of moves wouldn't be that impossible for a newcomer.

And how exactly do you figure that? A stance-changing character seems likely enough, same as how it could for Robin or Chrom.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Lol.
That is all I'm going to say.

EDIT:
I lied. This needs to be addressed.
Also, those Rosalina naysayers were idiots. I'm sorry, but please do the ****ing research before spewing garbage.

What's with the Rosalina boner lately?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
...And speaking of Fire Emblem, what do you guys think about a character who uses a horse/pegasus in battle?

.....what.

-----
It's a great idea, but there's a few flaws, for one the hitbox for the character would be ridiculous.... Cause, this isn't like Ridley, if a horse isn't to scale, it would just be awkward. It's a shame to use something that is used for Ridley arguments, who I support, but there's a difference between having something you ride to a dragon that perform on it's own. The horse would probably work weirdly, if implemented, tbh. Rereading this, and it sounds like ****.

This thread having a FE discussion, and I'm glad I'm around to be involved.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

People coming up with a lot of unorthodox ideas and being highly in denial that the character will be based on another character.

And tell me, what about Rosalina isn't "unorthodox?" At least in the sense that no one thought of such an idea before she debuted?

There's nothing saying that those ideas can't work within the realms of Smash. Regardless, there are opportunities for any character to be made unique based on what the games and/or the characters themselves bring to the table. It's ridiculous to say a character's doomed to not be unique when many counterexamples exists to the contrary.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
You don't want to get involved when the Ike naysayers appear.
Then it's just pure stupidity from there. :rolleyes:
There'a Ike Naysayers... Where!?
I know what it's like I defend Ike all the time and always bring up really valid points. Like him being the main character in mulptiple FE games and etc. Since there's nothing of the sort I won't bother right now, though.

I'm must of came when it ending luckily....

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
In the context of neither of them already being in Smash Bros., why exactly is that an impossibility?
It's not. It's an implausibility.

I'm not even talking about a veteran here.
Lucas and Toon Link weren't veterans when they were in Brawl.

If Sakurai could pull off Rosalina's and Little Mac's unique movesets
Whoa! Wait!...Little Mac...unique?

And with Rosalina. Are you saying because these characters are unique that everyone will be? Well then I guess Lucas wouldn't be a semi-clone because Olimar was so unique.

surely a mechanic that switches the attributes of moves wouldn't be that impossible for a newcomer.
If it was a newcomer who wasn't incredibly similar to Marth and capable of replicating his abilities identically.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying it's impossible. It's just implausible.

Everything points to Lucina being seen as clone material. And nothing suggests the opposite. Only our hope.

And how exactly do you figure that? A stance-changing character seems likely enough
You're stating that out of context and disregarding WHO the stance character is.

A stance character is likely if there is a character who Sakurai deems fit to do so. And if Sakurai doesn't see Lucas or Toon Link fit enough to not share moves then I don't see Lucina being any exception

same as how it could for Robin or Chrom.
Except Robin doesn't have similar attributes to Marth...so it's actually...you know...not the same.

D

Deleted member

Pointing out the fallacy that Rosalina is identical to Peach in every single way.
Even though prior to her Smash reveal, she essentially was just "Cosmic Peach", which you try to deny for whatever reason. :rolleyes:

Guess I must be a bloody idiot for knowing the truth as it was.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Even though prior to her Smash reveal, she essentially was just "Cosmic Peach", which you try to deny for whatever reason. :rolleyes:

Guess I must be a bloody idiot for knowing the truth as it was.
I don't recall Rosalina using turnips, parasols, varies blunt instruments, and diabetes inducing girl power.

Nor do I recall Peach using galaxy defying mystical powers.

Rosalina is more comparable to Zelda, not Peach.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

I'm sorry, but you're argument is invalid. In order for a character to be a clone/semi-clone they must:
A: Share significant similarities to a character.
B: Originally be able to perform their abilities.

Rosalina can't use a parasol, vegetables, or sports gear. Her being a Peach clone was never a possibility. Only an ignorant assumption.

andimidna

Smash Master

I posted a long list of reasons why the assumption that Rosalina was going to be a clone of Peach was idiotic here (or some other thread) a while ago. It was a dumb assumption (yet it still existed, I even saw it on Miiverse, Facebook, and Youtube), but so are most assumptions that a character MUST be a clone.

All you have to do is go to a character's support thread and you'll find a bunch of unique movesets.

How to easily make them unique
1) put them together as a team (better range, protected from behind, more areas hit)
2) give them different specials (it could even be borrowed, who cares?, maybe you could even give them a projectile)
3) new final smash
4) make Chrom's heaviness somewhere inbetween Marth and Ike
5) Make Lucina very light
6) Standard attacks in a more "stabbing motion" rather than slashing.
7) Grabs would work like ICs without the rope, so it wouldn't be able to be done infinitely.
8) Different taunts and victory animations taken from Awakening

A vague list even like this is enough... it isn't THAT hard to make characters unique. That's why we already have like 8 different characters with swords. Just because characters have been clones in the past, doesn't mean they have to be now because they are FE characters with blue hair and swords.

A sword duo with different gravity would be something we have yet to see.

EDIT: If people think I'm trying to hate on Rosalina, that's definitely not the case, she was my 2nd most wanted character and I argued with A LOT of people on this topic on Miiverse. You guys say it's only an ignorant assumption, but then forget there's a Smash website full of children that don't know what they're talking about.
Although, it's not like Miiverse hates Rosalina, she was pretty much the most requested character from mid November to her reveal, and you're bound to find a bunch of drawings of her in the popular post section now...
Still, there were a lot of Rosalina arguments around that time, all started by people that wanted different Mario characters or just the main 4.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I didn't know that Rosalina was incapable of picking up a parasol and using it, she must have a hard time in the rain.

And can't use sports gear? Wait till she starts showing up in Mario Tennis/Baseball/Soccer/Basketball/Skiing/Lumberjacking/etc.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
In order for a character to be a clone/semi-clone they must:
says you.

(but yeah that's mostly true, but it has to be said specifically by Sakurai for me to take something as 100% fact.)

And can't use sports gear? Wait till she starts showing up in Mario Tennis/Baseball/Soccer/Basketball/Skiing/Lumberjacking/etc.
10/10 would buy

Last edited:

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Any character can be made unique if you try enough. The problem is how probable it would be to make them an unique character. That's where Chrom and Lucina meet their biggest downfall imo

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
How to easily make them unique
1) put them together as a team (better range, protected from behind, more areas hit)
2) give them different specials (it could even be borrowed, who cares?, maybe you could even give them a projectile)
3) new final smash
4) make Chrom's heaviness somewhere inbetween Marth and Ike
5) Make Lucina very light
6) Standard attacks in a more "stabbing motion" rather than slashing.
7) Grabs would work like ICs without the rope, so it wouldn't be able to be done infinitely.
8) Different taunts and victory animations taken from Awakening

I crossed out what you posted because it's irrelevant. I can come up with a list of how to make Lucas and Toon Link fully unique. But, it won't happen

Ideas =/= predictions

A vague list even like this is enough...
Not for Sakurai.

it isn't THAT hard to make characters unique.
You're right it's not. But, they become semi-clones anyway. Again, irrelevant.

That's why we already have like 8 different characters with swords.
And 9 characters that share moves or are for the most part based on another move set.

Just because characters have been clones in the past, doesn't mean they have to be now
Well when every character who \fits the description of a significantly similar character originally capable of performing the same moves has become a clone or somebody who mostly shares moves with another character and Lucina fits that description (more than most clones I might add) I'm gonna say: Yeah! It does actually.

because they are FE characters with blue hair and swords.
That's not why. I already told you why.

A sword duo with different gravity would be something we have yet to see.
Luigi with an entirely Poltergust based move set would be something we have yet to see.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I'm sorry, but you're argument is invalid. In order for a character to be a clone/semi-clone they must:

Rosalina can't use a parasol, vegetables, or sports gear. Her being a Peach clone was never a possibility. Only an ignorant assumption.
Replace veggies with Star Bits, Toad with Luma, Sports Gear with wand and give her 'antigravity' floaty powers and up special. Peach clone.

D

Deleted member

I don't recall Rosalina using turnips, parasols, varies blunt instruments, and diabetes inducing girl power.

Nor do I recall Peach using galaxy defying mystical powers.

Rosalina is more comparable to Zelda, not Peach.
I don't recall Daisy ever using Turnips, parasols, or diabetes inducing girl power, nor do I recall Peach harnessing the power of crystals and flower petals, yet she doesn't seem to be such a "unique" choice :rolleyes:.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Replace veggies with Star Bits, Toad with Luma, Sports Gear with wand and give her 'antigravity' floaty powers and up special. Peach clone.
Then she's not performing abilities that Peach has is she?

You're just taking abilities that never shared any resemblance to the one's Peach has and saying it would make sense. By that logic Rosalina could be a clone of Mr. Game & Watch.

Launch Star = Trampoline
Black Hole = Bucket
Star Bits = Bacon

See how stupid that logic is. You can't take an ability unless it ORIGINALLY bared resemblance to the one you are cloning it from.

Sakurai won't take an already unique character and ponder "Gee how can I make this character into a clone". He starts with a character who can easily be a clone and works to see how unique he can make them from there without getting off the concept of them sharing moves.

andimidna

Smash Master
I didn't know that Rosalina was incapable of picking up a parasol and using it, she must have a hard time in the rain.

10/10 would play Mario and Rosalina's Lumberjack Adventure

andimidna

Smash Master
I don't recall Daisy ever using Turnips, parasols, or diabetes inducing girl power, nor do I recall Peach harnessing the power of crystals and flower petals, yet she doesn't seem to be such a "unique" choice :rolleyes:.
The difference is:
1) Daisy literally debuted as an orange Peach in-game SML
2) Daisy's most important (and only important) appearance had her playing the same role as Peach
3) Peach's Daisy colors are actually still Peach anyways. It's Peach wearing a different dress that has a design reminiscent of Daisy. If you put on your friends clothes (not sure why you would), you don't become your friend.
And you don't receive your own playable slot in Smash Bros.
EDIT: 4) Also, they usually even have the same stats in the various sports games they appear in.

Last edited:

CalumG

Smash Lord
If we're doing the whole 'never-gonna-happen' Pokemon newcomer shtick, I'd like to throw in my two euro's:

2nd gen mascot, front cover Pokemon of Crystal (and major plot point), multiple appearances in the anime and even multiple appearances in Smash. Plus, we don't have any majestic four-legged characters yet do we (inb4 Ivysaur)?

Not ever gonna happen, but yeah. Of all the 'not-gonna-happen's, Suicune is personal favourite. That and Meowth. :troll:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Gengar would be nice as a "never happen". I think he could have potentially gotten in Smash 64 over jiggs

CalumG

Smash Lord
Gengar would be nice as a "never happen". I think he could have potentially gotten in Smash 64 over jiggs
Haven't you played X and Y? The reason Gengar isn't in Smash is because he'd obviously be above-Metaknight/God tier. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom