• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Seriously, the only cut from Melee even worth looking at is Mewtwo. Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young Link and Roy are all completely useless.
I think Dr. Mario could still work.
Just have him represent his own franchise (he could also the cut moves from Mario's moveset. Which could mean semi-clone).

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
How about a discussion on ideas for Pokemon Trainer? Like for instance, do you all think it'll be the same in Smash 4, or will they leave it at Kanto.

Also, a male and female skin? Maybe a new generation? I'm really interested to hear everyone's thoughts!

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I think Dr. Mario could still work.
Just have him represent his own franchise (he could also the cut moves from Mario's moveset. Which could mean semi-clone).
It does not make sense for Dr. Mario to use moves that are different from Mario. Sure, he could be made unique, but he is Dr. MARIO. He should do what MARIO does.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
It does not make sense for Dr. Mario to use moves that are different from Mario. Sure, he could be made unique, but he is Dr. MARIO. He should do what MARIO does.
Meaning that if we ever got Paper Mario, we should expect him to be a Mario clone and not his own thing? That seems rather flimsy...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
How about a discussion on ideas for Pokemon Trainer? Like for instance, do you all think it'll be the same in Smash 4, or will they leave it at Kanto.

Also, a male and female skin? Maybe a new generation? I'm really interested to hear everyone's thoughts!
My thought is that stamina should be scrapped.

Also, there isn't going to be a new trainer. Enjoy your Red.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I get it.
So then Toon Link should be a direct Link clone right?

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Just give me Marth and Anna and we'll be done with Fire Emblem characters. :smirk:
No, we can't just have those two! We still need a Gaiden rep. :troll:

Well, according to Sakurai it doesn't make sense for Dr. Mario to shoot fireballs.
Something that Mario does not do.
So it actually does make sense for the Doc to do different things because he already does.
And before you type it: it only being one move is irrelevant because you said "it does not make sense for Dr. Mario to use moves that are different from Mario's." Which effectively means "it doesn't make sense for Dr. Mario to use any moves that Mario doesn't."

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Meaning that if we ever got Paper Mario, we should expect him to be a Mario clone and not his own thing? That seems rather flimsy...
No. Dr. Mario is Mario with a doctor outfit. Paper Mario is a completely different character from a completely different game.

I get it.
No. Dr. Mario is Mario with a doctor outfit. Toon Link is a completely different character from a completely different game.

Well, according to Sakurai it doesn't make sense for Dr. Mario to shoot fireballs.
Something that Mario does not do.
So it actually does make sense for the Doc to do different things because he already does.
And before you type it: it only being one move is irrelevant because you said "it does not make sense for Dr. Mario to use moves that are different from Mario's." Which effectively means "it doesn't make sense for Dr. Mario to use any moves that Mario doesn't."
But Dr. Mario comes from a game where there are no powerups, in other words, a game where there are no Fire Flowers, in other words, a game where there are no fireballs.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
HA! Paper Mario, flimsy. I see what you did there :p I do agree with you, by the way

I get it.
No, Toon Link is a different person, while Mario is the same person all around. I still agree with the main point of Dr. Mario's potential to use different moves, though.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
No, Toon Link is a different person, while Mario is the same person all around. I still agree with the main point of Dr. Mario's potential to use different moves, though.
And that's what I'm saying.
He could bring back not only his moves. But the moves Mario lost in the past games...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I think a new trainer or Pokemon would be a nice way to freshen things up with the cast.
Don't really want to stick with the same forever.

When has Pokemon been a series to stay the same?

Sarcasm aside, it's gotten 2 newcomers/reps every single game. I think it's saying something that most people want the majority of them to return.

Aside from playable characters, I think Pokeball Pokemon and stage backgrounds/hazards are also good ways to shake things up/rep the new.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Jeez, if I had a roster with 64 characters on it, I could make one hell of a Smash Bros... Feels like a wasted opportunity with folks like Marill and Poo.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
No. Dr. Mario is Mario with a doctor outfit. Paper Mario is a completely different character from a completely different game.
Mario is more like Paper Mario than he is to Dr. Mario.
Two of them are plumbers and adventurers, the other is a physician that throws pills at viruses.
Two of them can actually throw fireballs in set circumstances and use hammers occasionally, the other has never tossed a fireball or has been seen to have a hammer.
Two of them world renowned for their jumping abilities, the other is just a humble doctor that wants to see the world be healthy.

I do not understand how Paper Mario is less Mario than Dr. Mario, they're the same being from design to their actions their own games. Only difference is art style.
–––

>64 Character Roster
>Cuts
No.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I made a starting and a final roster!
View attachment 9262
I like! My only suggestion is to switch the Ice Climbers and G&W's position. Since the Mario series has had several G&W Gallery games and Mr. Game & Watch was in DKCR so I think he's a better fit there.
Character selection is nice and 47 is pretty nice amount.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I like! My only suggestion is to switch the Ice Climbers and G&W's position. Since the Mario series has had several G&W Gallery games and Mr. Game & Watch was in DKCR so I think he's a better fit there.
Character selection is nice and 47 is pretty nice amount.
Thanks! I won't do it now though.

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
HEY GUYS LOOK AT WHAT I MADE

YourBull****DreamRoster.png

Every damn character anyone could seriously ask for. Ever. Completely extensive. Nobody left out. Not a one. I even made extra room for characters you could replace them with, but you know what? One of you little ****s are going to point out about how your preferred choice still isn't in here. This gargantuan of a roster is proof that you can't please everybody on this forum. No matter what your roster is, people, it will always upset at least one person here out of principle of missing someone.

And that's just a sad fact we'll all have to get used to.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
You also forgot:
>Lightning
>3 Awakening characters
I'm more bothered by the fact that went for 64 characters and still cut people.

People may like certain characters and I'm okay with them liking whoever, I just don't find it right to still cut other characters needlessly.
–––

HEY GUYS LOOK AT WHAT I MADE

View attachment 9266

Every damn character anyone could seriously ask for. Ever. Completely extensive. Nobody left out. Not a one. I even made extra room for characters you could replace them with, but you know what? One of you little ****s are going to point out about how your preferred choice still isn't in here. This gargantuan of a roster is proof that you can't please everybody on this forum. No matter what your roster is, people, it will always upset at least one person here out of principle of missing someone.

And that's just a sad fact we'll all have to get used to.
quote tho ;-;

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294

No. Dr. Mario is Mario with a doctor outfit. Toon Link is a completely different character from a completely different game.

But Dr. Mario comes from a game where there are no powerups, in other words, a game where there are no Fire Flowers, in other words, a game where there are no fireballs.
Paper Mario is Mario made of paper. Dr. Mario is Mario in a different outfit. They're the same character. Just with different takes on Mario's original appearance and abilities. And they both appear in their own games.

So they have different abilities? Great, let's make them different then.
But it doesn't make sense, now, does it? Dr. Mario's doing something regular Mario doesn't do.
Which you said does not make sense. Right here:
Tepig2000 said:
It does not make sense for Dr. Mario to use moves that are different from Mario.
Whether you can justify such a difference is irrelevant to what you originally said. In fact, you coming up with a justification only contradicts what you originally said because you are attempting to make sense out of what you yourself said does not make sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom