• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Ganon is cool, but I'm still waiting for Ganondorf first.
Last I checked, Ganondorf is a playable character in Smash... :4ganondorf:

I just wish that people would stop saying there's no point of having Squirtle and Ivysaur coming back as standalone fighters like Charizard because they aren't popular/important enough to be standalone fighters like Charizard. :rolleyes:
Squirtle and Ivysaur would be good DLC choices as they were both good additions in Brawl. They would have been in if transformations hadn't been scrapped, so they likely were part of the planned roster.

Lucas and Wolf should come first, though, especially since Mewtwo is the first DLC, which makes me defend that the next few characters shouldn't be from Pokémon.

Franchise variety is good, after all.

EDIT: On the subject of Kid Icarus, I find it very unlikely there will be any newcomers.
As for Pittoo, he's give or take. He'll either stay due to how little work he actually requires (and get blamed again if any character is cut or certain new characters don't get added) or be cut specifically for being a divisive bonus character.
I don't see any Kid Icarus newcomer, unless a really major character debuts between Smash 4 and Smash 5.

What we have is good enough, I'd say.

As for Dark Pit, I'd guess he could return for the next game on the same vein as he did Smash 4. Same for Lucina.

It's hard to say, though, as there's no precedence to different character costumes in previous Smash games. Things like Alph, Koopalings, male and female variants are a Smash novelty. The closest thing was Wario in Brawl and he still keeps that alternative (though he did lose some color variants).

What could happen is Dark Pit and Lucina being downgraded to costumes, but knowing the rationale behind Dr. Mario's return, I highly doubt such a thing. The changes they have are really minor anyway and Sakurai has that philosophy of trying to have as many veterans returning as possible, stating that all characters have fans and whatnot, so I guess that given their ease of implementation, they could be here to stay.

I hardly call Lucina and Dark Pit clones, but glorified costumes. That's what they are, given their inception.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I think If there was to be an inheritor character for Snake, I'd probably have to fall on to the Advance Wars series.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If only Tingle was more known to be the next ideal rep, but alas he's the Scrappy Doo of the franchise in the American fanbase's eyes. I mean come on, that green wearing dope is oozing with personality and he can easily make up for the lack of Balloon Fighter.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Squirtle and Ivysaur would be good DLC choices as they were both good additions in Brawl. They would have been in if transformations hadn't been scrapped, so they likely were part of the planned roster.

Lucas and Wolf should come first, though, especially since Mewtwo is the first DLC, which makes me defend that the next few characters shouldn't be from Pokémon.

Franchise variety is good, after all.
Franchise variety is good, yes... but moveset/gameplay variety appeals to me more...

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I think If there was to be an inheritor character for Snake, I'd probably have to fall on to the Advance Wars series.

I want Snake back more than anyone else. More than any newcomer other than Rayman. I abhor seeing this suggestion.
Last I checked, Ganondorf is a playable character in Smash... :4ganondorf:
In name only.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

I want Snake back more than anyone else. More than any newcomer other than Rayman. I abhor seeing this suggestion.

In name only.
Sorry about that. :( Hope I didn't offend you - and I'd love Snake to return to. (Just needed to clear that up before it got out of hand)

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
In name only.
I try to take what I can get.
Lucina is a clone, but it doesn't bother me anymore, for example.

I miss Snake himself too, but someone else taking up most of his moves is not that bad of a compromise.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Franchise variety is good, yes... but moveset/gameplay variety appeals to me more...
Yeah, I understand your position, but I think that if, after Mewtwo, they release Ivysaur and Squirtle and the DLC offer becomes only Pokémon characters, it wouldn't paint a Smash Bros.-like image to it.

This is a crossover game, first and foremost. To focus on that aspect is important.

In name only.
Oh no, we're NOT having THAT discussion... >_>

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Sorry about that. :( Hope I didn't offend you - and I'd love Snake to return to. (Just needed to clear that up before it got out of hand)
Not at all. But no one should steal Snake's moves, and anyone from AW deserves their own moves.

Shoving Snake's moves onto them is a disservice to both of them.
I try to take what I can get.
Lucina is a clone, but it doesn't bother me anymore, for example.

I miss Snake himself too, but someone else taking up most of his moves is not that bad of a compromise.
Lucina couldn't be much else but one, though.

As above, it'd be a terrible compromise.
Oh no, we're NOT having THAT discussion... >_>
Stockholm.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Stockholm.
I don't quite get it. >_>

I can agree with this, even though it wouldn't be quite the same thing in the end.

Snake was a cool addition to Brawl and his return in Smash 4 would have made me happy, though I did defend that third parties would be the first to be on the chopping block, so I'm not too surprised by his absence nor I'm really disappointed.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Not at all. But no one should steal Snake's moves, and anyone from AW deserves their own moves.
Shoving Snake's moves onto them is a disservice to both of them.
I'm not suggesting that Snake's moveset be copied to a new character, I'm saying it could be used as inspiration for another character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Speaking of Advance Wars characters... I wish that SSB5 would have more Intelligent Systems characters besides the ones from Fire Emblem...

Infantry Unit (Wars)
Mallo (Pushmo)
Lip (Panel de Pon)
Prince of Sable (The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm not suggesting that Snake's moveset be copied to a new character, I'm saying it could be used as inspiration for another character.
Basically having a different character take on a similar concept, I'd guess.

Snake's moveset shouldn't be copied to another character, as it has ties with the MGS franchise and Snake's characterization, so it wouldn't make sense to do that in the first place.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
There's no way Ivysaur will ever be a standalone character in an official Smash game. It's inclusion only really made sense in Brawl because Sakurai needed a middle evolution for the Pokemon Trainer to use (Likewise, he chose Charizard and Squirtle to represent the final and first stages, respectively), but with him and transformations in general gone, there's no reason for it to be playable other than "it was in the previous game". It's far less popular than Bulbasaur and Venusaur.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm hard for me to share a character concept on here that pretty much everyone finds some value in.
Everyone's so negative all the time. :urg:
Gonna quote my friend again:

"Good reviews make me a happy writer, honest reviews make me a better writer."

There's nothing that will appeal to everybody universally. That implies a lack of personal thought, and is detrimental to the creative process, something you as a creator should be striving to perfect.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Gonna quote my friend again:

"Good reviews make me a happy writer, honest reviews make me a better writer."

There's nothing that will appeal to everybody universally. That implies a lack of personal thought, and is detrimental to the creative process, something you as a creator should be striving to perfect.
Thank you, but that's not quite what I was trying to say.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There's no way Ivysaur will ever be a standalone character in an official Smash game. It's inclusion only really made sense in Brawl because Sakurai needed a middle evolution for the Pokemon Trainer to use (Likewise, he chose Charizard and Squirtle to represent the final and first stages, respectively), but with him and transformations in general gone, there's no reason for it to be playable other than "it was in the previous game". It's far less popular than Bulbasaur and Venusaur.
With transformations being gone, there's no reason for Sheik and Zero Suit Samus to be playable as standalone characters other than "she was in the previous game". :rolleyes:

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Sorry if this is off topic, but where is everyone getting these DLC portraits. I can't find them anywhere, and I've been thinking of changing my signature.

I'm talking about these >

Dinoman96

Smash Master
With transformations being gone, there's no reason for Sheik and Zero Suit Samus to be playable as standalone characters other than "she was in the previous game". :rolleyes:
Sheik is a two-time veteran, which, outside of Ice Climbers (who we lost due to the 3DS's hardware limitations), won't get cut. It should be noted that with ZSS, Sakurai included her as a means to boost Metroid's representation (which doesn't have many character choices...), and she was in the latest Metroid game. Ivysaur really isn't needed in any way, being a one-time character and the fact that Pokemon already has dozens of characters in the game already.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Then I'm afraid I am lost, my friend.
Everyone's quick to turn down an idea they don't quite understand, no matter what it is. If it isn't a very obvious and talked about idea, it will be pushed aside.
The reason this upsets me is because I don't want people to cling onto the same five characters, because there's no guarantee they'll ever be included, instead we should try to appreciate a whole bunch of different character concepts equally.

I used to hate the idea of several characters I speak quite favorably of now, some of them even being confirmed, like Pac-Man.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sheik is a two-time veteran, which, outside of Ice Climbers (who we lost due to the 3DS's hardware limitations), won't get cut. It should be noted that with ZSS, Sakurai included her as a means to boost Metroid's representation (which doesn't have many character choices...), and she was in the latest Metroid game. Ivysaur really isn't needed in anyway, being a one-time character and the fact that Pokemon already has dozens of characters in the game already.
6 =/= "dozens"

...unless you are counting Pokeball summons.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Everyone's quick to turn down an idea they don't quite understand, no matter what it is. If it isn't a very obvious and talked about idea, it will be pushed aside.
The reason this upsets me is because I don't want people to cling onto the same five characters, because there's no guarantee they'll ever be included, instead we should try to appreciate a whole bunch of different character concepts equally.

I used to hate the idea of several characters I speak quite favorably of now, some of them even being confirmed, like Pac-Man.
I don't think that's true at all.

People have different opinions, some people don't like the things you like. That's just the way of the world; that's just the curl of the burl.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Speaking of Advance Wars characters... I wish that SSB5 would have more Intelligent Systems characters besides the ones from Fire Emblem...

Infantry Unit (Wars)
Mallo (Pushmo)
Lip (Panel de Pon)
Prince of Sable (The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls)
If only Intelligent Systems can make another Advance Wars instead of beleiving the franchise is dead just because of the latest games selling poorly. The series does have the potential to grow given it's all about militaristic conflict and commanding your army, especially since there are plenty of lovable characters from the franchise.

But alas, almost every developer these days is under the impression that a series that isn't popular or doesn't sell is not worth pushing anymore. After all, Namco felt the need to make ANOTHER Ghostly Adventures game even if it didn't have phenominal sales or lukewarm reception to begin with. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
So we are back to the numbers game... where franchises are either over-represented or under-represented.
I'm not a fan of the "amount of reps" argument myself, but I do feel the line needs to be drawn somewhere. For example, it looks like Sakurai doesn't want any series, not even Pokemon or Zelda, to surpass Mario in terms of physical character slots (he cheated a little with transformations in the past but...) on the CSS, and I definitely wouldn't want to see series like Kid Icarus or Fire Emblem get away with like six characters just because of "moveset potential".

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If only Intelligent Systems can make another Advance Wars instead of beleiving the franchise is dead just because of the latest games selling poorly. The series does have the potential to grow given it's all about militaristic conflict and commanding your army, especially since there are plenty of lovable characters from the franchise.

But alas, almost every developer these days is under the impression that a series that isn't popular or doesn't sell is not worth pushing anymore. After all, Namco felt the need to make ANOTHER Ghostly Adventures game even if it didn't have phenominal sales or lukewarm reception to begin with. :rolleyes:
Er... the entire series has sold poorly. The sales have barely gotten any better over the years. The entire franchise has about 10 games and I don't think its even topped 5m units sold, and as far as I'm aware not a single game in the series has topped 1m. (700k according to VGChartz). Also acording to VGChartz, Days of Ruin is one of the best selling games in the Wars franchise at 600k, pitting it at #3 overall in the series (granted, they don't have sales numbers for the early games).

Its not a matter of Advance Wars' recent titles selling poorly. Its the entire series in general.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yeah, I'd say Fire Emblem is the only series from Intelligent Systems that's popular/important enough to warrant playable characters in Smash.

Well, there's Paper Mario I suppose, but ehhhhh.....

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, I'd say Fire Emblem is the only series from Intelligent Systems that's popular/important enough to warrant playable characters in Smash.

Well, there's Paper Mario I suppose, but ehhhhh.....
I completely and totally disagree. I think Advance Wars is such a long-running series that it could also use a playable character in Smash. I was only arguing that the Wars series just doesn't sell very well. Keep in mind, Fire Emblem was the same way for years. Its sales were barely higher than Advance Wars until Awakening, really. It also managed to get localized to the west without having to have a character appear in Smash Bros. first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom