• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is there any reason why would Mario paper seires and Mario and luigi seires be important than SMRPG in terms of Nintendo history? There is a lot of reason why SMRPG was more important than both of them
Mario and luigi
popular and has multiple games

Paper mario
popular. Many games. Very unique

Smrpg
only one game. Not as popular as a result.

I want to go in depth but i just dont care enough about this. Also username bias

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So is there any reason why would Mario paper seires and Mario and luigi seires be important than SMRPG in terms of Nintendo history? There is a lot of reason why SMRPG was more important than both of them
Being important does NOT change the fact that Geno is owned by Square Enix. This conversation has been going on for like 4 days.

Bottom Line: Geno, while a generally cool character, is owned by Square Enix. Considering he isn't even close to the same tier as Sonic, Mega Man or Pac-Man (and Snake!) he doesn't have much of any chance.

Nobody is telling you that you can't like the character. But at least face the facts when they present themselves to you.

EDIT: Also, arguing what is "more important" is incredibly subjective and means nothing. Importance in Smash doesn't mean anything in a lot of cases anyway.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'll ask you one simple question: What is more important for Nintendo right now?

OR

Same logic. Shouldn't be too hard to understand.

:231:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Mario and luigi
popular and has multiple games

Paper mario
popular. Many games. Very unique

Smrpg
only one game. Not as popular as a result.

I want to go in depth but i just dont care enough about this. Also username bias
Popular and more games =\= important

You didn't understand yet now i will give the reason why it was important than both of the seires

-Smrpg released toys in japan unlike the other Mario RPGs
-smrpg was ranked 9.5/10 by IGN wich was the most ranked Mario RPG game
-without this game Mario and luigi and Mario paper seires wouldn't exist
-smrpg was one of the most sold game on the wii eshop and mostly in Europe
-it's a game that was made when square and Nintendo teamed up for the first time and they are friends now
-the story of this game was memorable than the other Mario RPGs
-this game made a lot of square and Nintendo fans happy when it first came out
-alphadream are very interested on revisiting SMRPG
-the team in SMRPG has the best playable characters and it was very creative for example: you have a prince and a princess and a villain and a hero and a guardian unlike the other Mario RPG games

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Don't mind me, just gonna pull the lever and shunt this thread onto a different track...~

Anybody expecting anything else with the Mewtwo DLC? New music, an extra stage, possibly even a character or two?

I'm excited for Miiverse and tourney mode. They're pretty nice bonuses as it stands.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Don't mind me, just gonna pull the lever and shunt this thread onto a different track...~

Anybody expecting anything else with the Mewtwo DLC? New music, an extra stage, possibly even a character or two?

I'm excited for Miiverse and tourney mode. They're pretty nice bonuses as it stands.
I'd expect a couple of music tracks and a few trophies.

:231:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Being important does NOT change the fact that Geno is owned by Square Enix. This conversation has been going on for like 4 days.

Bottom Line: Geno, while a generally cool character, is owned by Square Enix. Considering he isn't even close to the same tier as Sonic, Mega Man or Pac-Man (and Snake!) he doesn't have much of any chance.

Nobody is telling you that you can't like the character. But at least face the facts when they present themselves to you.

EDIT: Also, arguing what is "more important" is incredibly subjective and means nothing. Importance in Smash doesn't mean anything in a lot of cases anyway.
I didn't talk about geno chances in ssb in this thread I was only discussing about the owner of Geno but hey at least he was next to sonic in sakurai brawl poll with Megaman :)

I expect :popo:
Nintendo have worked so hard on them they have their files but 3ds can't Handel them so they should just put popo alone as playable character but nana just as alt skin but they should buff them and giving them a new up b
New music? I think we might have mewtwo battle song
Stage? I think of :pirateship:

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm not *expecting* anything else with Mewtwo because there's no evidence for anything in particular.
Some alternate palettes and maybe costumes would be nice though...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd love it if they surprised us and released Mewtwo's download codes for Club Nintendo members as soon as the next direct finishes. But I guess that's just me being hopefull. Wouldn't mind them revealing a couple alternate costumes too.

Would really like the next Nintendo Direct to happen soon.... :\

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
SMRPG is more important than both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi? Is that why SMRPG is getting sequels after sequels starring Geno? :troll:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

We've done it before and it keeps coming back. The only way to stop the arguments is to ignore it.

Like I just did...

I don't expect anything else with the Mewtwo DLC, but I DO think its POSSIBLE we could get an announcement at the same time. I think its very possible it could happen. But I don't outright think there will be. I do think its odd we've heard nothing during this time, though, and wouldn't at all be surprised if something comes or is announced at the same time. Again, though, I don't want to say I expect it to happen.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

I personally don't expect extra goodies such as that.

I think Mewtwo is just gonna be the only DLC we're gonna get.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Mewtwo is probably all we'll get...for now. Sakurai did say something along the lines of him being used as a way to test the DLC waters. Given Mewtwo's extreme popularity, I'll be surprised if he doesn't sell well.

Niala

Smash Ace
We've done it before and it keeps coming back. The only way to stop the arguments is to ignore it.

Like I just did...

I don't expect anything else with the Mewtwo DLC, but I DO think its POSSIBLE we could get an announcement at the same time. I think its very possible it could happen. But I don't outright think there will be. I do think its odd we've heard nothing during this time, though, and wouldn't at all be surprised if something comes or is announced at the same time. Again, though, I don't want to say I expect it to happen.
I'm thinking this as well. I really don't expect anybody to surprise me with more than Mewtwo on the same day, but I feel like some sort of announcement will come with him. The announcement could even be that there will simply be no more DLC after Mewtwo, or that they have plans for a bunch more. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sold on more DLC after Mewtwo, personally, but regardless of that I do expect they'll have something to say.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Considering other games are getting DLC (Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, FE: Awakening, technically Pokemon X/Y, etc...) it would be underwhelming to get ONLY Mewtwo as character DLC. In my opinion anyway. It's a gold mine for Nintendo in profits, and a gold mine for players of the game who want more. It's a no brainer, and if Sakurai won't do it, somebody else should take over and do it in his stead.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Considering other games are getting DLC (Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, FE: Awakening, technically Pokemon X/Y, etc...) it would be underwhelming to get ONLY Mewtwo as character DLC. In my opinion anyway. It's a gold mine for Nintendo in profits, and a gold mine for players of the game who want more. It's a no brainer, and if Sakurai won't do it, somebody else should take over and do it in his stead.
Pretty much this. Gonna copypaste what I said in another thread:

If Nintendo does not do more Smash Bros. DLC, then they're a pack of fools. The Wii U is still struggling, even with things like Smash Bros and Mario Kart. DLC would be a good way to wring a bit more money out of people, and they've shown they're willing to put out DLC with things like Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kart. So really, not doing it for their big system seller would be like having a clown at a pie and seltzer convention that ends with him simply enjoying himself and going home.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Sakurai isn't against more DLC, but he does seem to think it should be carefully pondered.

He's aware of common criticisms against it due to shady practices other companies follow, so that's why he's using Mewtwo as a test. He wants to see the fans' reactions.

In the Nico Nico stream, he has demonstrated he's quite aware of the fans' requests.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sakurai isn't against more DLC, but he does seem to think it should be carefully pondered.

He's aware of common criticisms against it due to shady practices other companies follow, so that's why he's using Mewtwo as a test. He wants to see the fans' reactions.

In the Nico Nico stream, he has demonstrated he's quite aware of the fans' requests.
I'd hope he's seen the sadness with the cut veterans. I mean, he has to know about how some people miss Snake, Wolf, Lucas...Ice Climbers... AND SPLATOON HYPE.

Last edited:

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
I don't expect anything beyond what we already know. A surprise would be nice, but I don't see it.
You're always so grumpy, I've see you posting since a long time and you always so negative and deprees, heck even your avatar image show your emotions, chage it, try to post something to the thread not just to win post numbers.

I want Blaziken!!! And it's sad about Takamaru, I always felt that he was going to appear before litlle Mac, and I love Mac

Dinoman96

Smash Master
To be honest, I honestly wouldn't be that upset if Mewtwo was the one and only DLC character. I'm already hugely satisfied with Smash 4's character roster as it is, and Mewtwo was basically the last fan-demanded character that I felt that actually did need to be in the game.

My only complaints with the roster is mainly just some of the cuts. Squirtle and Ivysaur were unique characters, but with Pokemon Trainer and transformations in general gone, there's not much of a point to them. Ice Climbers deserve to return, but they're probably going to have to sit it out until Smash 5, and hopefully by then Nintendo has competent enough hardware for their handheld systems to run them. I'd like Snake back, but I don't know if that's possible, or what MGS's future even is, thanks to what's happening with Kojima and Konami.

Wolf and Lucas at least seem possible, considering they're generally easy to make. One concern I have is that they just might not be considered highly exciting or popular DLC choices, and while I most certainly want them back (Wolf was my main in Brawl), I can kinda see why. I mean, they're both semi-clones, and one of them is a protagonist of an obscure japan only game and the other is a tertiary Star Fox character. I'd welcome them both back with open arms, but I fear Sakurai and the other Smash devs might not seem them as compelling choices for DLC.

As far as newcomers are concerned....I guess I'd like to see a Rhythm Heaven character of sorts, but again, would that be a fitting DLC character? I agree Splatoon should be represented in Smash, but that's another thing I believe we should wait on until Smash 5. Olimar wasn't shoved into Melee as a playable character just because Pikmin was fresh and hot at the time.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'd hope he's seen the sadness with the cut veterans. I mean, he has to know about how some people miss Snake, Wolf, Lucas...Ice Climbers... AND SPLATOON HYPE.
I believe he indeed stated in Famitsu that he was aware that people missed certain characters, though he only elaborated on the Ice Climbers' removal.

He's also made statements on how he doesn't like cutting characters due to the fans, even apologizing in advance if cuts happen.

If Sakurai goes ahead with more character DLC, expect veterans to return. After all, we have Mewtwo back and he's a veteran.

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
I believe he indeed stated in Famitsu that he was aware that people missed certain characters, though he only elaborated on the Ice Climbers' removal.

He's also made statements on how he doesn't like cutting characters due to the fans, even apologizing in advance if cuts happen.

If Sakurai goes ahead with more character DLC, expect veterans to return. After all, we have Mewtwo back and he's a veteran.
He should delay the game then... and tell Iwata to hire more people and give him vacactions, imagine watching avengers age of ultron without vision or the maximoff kids just because they run out of time, besides the more time they get to add more stuff more money they'll make, I have 4 friends that bougth brawl just for Lucario, 2 buy 3ds for Robin. They'll do a lot of money with smash, they should give it all and use the money

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
In terms of veterans, Wolf and Lucas returning is a must since representation for Star Fox and Mother respectively had been a little in between this time around. Sure they lived on in the form of customs (Lucas) or a palette swap (Wolf), but these are two veterans that need to return since their inclusions were very beloved in Brawl. With all the Mother 3 music and Star Wolf tracks in Smash Wii U, you'd think that they would have wanted to bring them back sooner or later.

As for newcomers, the only one I feel would be necessary is the Inlking his/herself since there's no doubt that Splatoon would be the next big thing. With the game's unique playstyle and the character's paint gimmick, I feel that this is one character that Sakurai and his team wouldn't ignore. If I were to mention another possibility, it would be a Rhythm Heaven character since data had suggested that the series would get more than just trophies (complete with an unused Rhythm Heaven series icon). With a new game on the horizon and the game's Japanese popularity to take into account, this is another addition that would interest Sakurai when thinking about DLC. Whether it's the charming Chorus Kids or the badass Karate Joe, any Rhythm Heaven rep would be a welcome addition since they would fit the zany world of Smash.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
It's because square Enix that's why SMRPG haven't got a real squel yet but alphadream are planning to bring back geno and mallow in their next game
Can I quote you on this?

Even if they did, they would again be minor characters in a SPIN-OFF series.

Tell me when we get a Geno game.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's because square Enix that's why SMRPG haven't got a real squel yet but alphadream are planning to bring back geno and mallow in their next game
That's an extrapolation of an extrapolation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom