• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
That seems to be understating Karate Joe, though. He's been in every game...
And he has a really awesome theme song.
As long as the character was VERY rhythm based it would be okay, but like I said, the temptation to give him a ton of "karate moves" is there.

A pure rhythm based character without that sort of baggage would be best in my opinion.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well, regardless I don't think I Rhythm Heaven character will be DLC anytime soon, but...
I am in favor of Karate Joe or Reporter/Wrestler.
And if Ice Climbers are confirmed, I'll add Chorus Kids to that list.

Niala

Smash Ace
For what it's worth I agree with @ Spazzy_D Spazzy_D . As somebody who knows jack all about Rhythm Heaven, I'd rather see a character who more readily exemplifies the series as a whole than somebody who runs the temptation of using Karate as a base instead simply because his name is "Karate" Joe. The same applies to the Wrestler.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Well, regardless I don't think I Rhythm Heaven character will be DLC anytime soon, but...
I am in favor of Karate Joe or Reporter/Wrestler.
And if Ice Climbers are confirmed, I'll add Chorus Kids to that list.
The odd thing is that the Ice Climber Emblem reference code was apparently removed. This makes Ice Climbers really unlikely in my opinion.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As long as the character was VERY rhythm based it would be okay, but like I said, the temptation to give him a ton of "karate moves" is there.
A pure rhythm based character without that sort of baggage would be best in my opinion.
That's what I mean to say,though, is that him exclusive punching and kicking with proper timing IS very rhythm based, more so than the other choices. His idle stance, jab, Smash attacks and specials all come together quite perfectly under the notion they must be properly timed to work well, in my mind.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I mean, Karate Joe IS awesome, but he mostly just punches and kicks in his minigames.... unless I am missing something. I have only played the Wii game, and only with friends (I have never owned it) so I could be wrong. He just doesn't strike me as the best candidate to represent a rhythm game. Not visually, at least.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
If Chorus Men were the ones planned and left out for the same reason as Ice Climbers we'll probably not get any Rhythm Heaven characters as DLC.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Another idea is too simply have Chorus Kids function like Olimar.
Their jab could be kind of like leapfrog, where the main kid punches, then the second kicks, and the third headbutts, then the main kid returns the front.
Their neutral special could them singing in order to charge it, then they release it when the Conductor chimes in by all singing at once...

I mean, Karate Joe IS awesome, but he mostly just punches and kicks in his minigames.... unless I am missing something. I have only played the Wii game, and only with friends (I have never owned it) so I could be wrong. He just doesn't strike me as the best candidate to represent a rhythm game. Not visually, at least.

Visually,I would agree. But mechanically, he could represent rhythm better than even Chorus Kids.
I found this moveset, also. Not quite what I had in mind, but here it is.
http://i.imgur.com/pUWP1Fc.png

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Here are the UI icons for The Virus:

<-- Stock icon. Most likely a place holder (other enemies such as Ridley and Metal Face have a stock icon).
From RandomTalkingBush.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If Chorus Men were the ones planned and left out for the same reason as Ice Climbers we'll probably not get any Rhythm Heaven characters as DLC.
The difference between the two is that Ice Climbers have already appeared in a Smash game. Sakurai may not want to alienate there fans by drastically changing how they play. This is not a problem that he would have with the Chorus Men. He could simplify there fighting style to his hearts content since we have no frame of reference for there intended play style.

Another idea is too simply have Chorus Kids function like Olimar.
Their jab could be kind of like leapfrog, where the main kid punches, then the second kicks, and the third headbutts, then the main kid returns the front.
Their neutral special could them singing in order to charge it, then they release it when the Conductor chimes in by all singing at once...

Visually,I would agree. But mechanically, he could represent rhythm better than even Chorus Kids.
I found this moveset, also. Not quite what I had in mind, but here it is.
http://i.imgur.com/pUWP1Fc.png
That move list actually has a few composite moves and it is still seems a bit too bland to me. I don't know, I think this is going to be one of those "agree to disagree" moments. If they do include Joe in a way that makes sense I would gladly take him, though.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
A big blizzard is going to smash the East Coast of the USA and I feel sadness at the loss of Ice Climbers.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Chorus Kids were not the most iconic RH characters prior to the leak.

Marshall, the Wrestler, and Karate Joe were.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That move list actually has a few composite moves and it is still seems a bit too bland to me. I don't know, I think this is going to be one of those "agree to disagree" moments. If they do include Joe in a way that makes sense I would gladly take him, though.
At face value, all Rhythm Heaven characters are bland. They're most monochromatic characters designed to do the same thing over and over again for minutes at a time.
So it really just comes down to preference.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Chorus Kids could remain together even if taking a hit. Every attack has the option of inputting one or two more A strings.

So his f-tilt can hit once, twice, or three times as well as his other moves.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think Chorus Kids / Marshall work because of their innate simplicity. They're basically a tabula rasa designed to fulfill any and all needs.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Chorus Kids were not the most iconic RH characters prior to the leak.

Marshall, the Wrestler, and Karate Joe were.
To be fair, Marshall, Cam, and Miss Ribbon are basically the Chorus Men's successors if not a direct evolution of them.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure the RH character in question is the Chorus Men. Them getting cut makes a lot more sense than any individual RH character.

To be fair, Marshall, Cam, and Miss Ribbon are basically the Chorus Men's successors if not a direct evolution of them.
Okay... what's your point though? The only iconic one of the bunch there is Marshall.

D

Deleted member

It's bittersweet.
The fact there's evidence for there been a Rhythm Heaven character planned makes me happy as a Wrestler/Reporter supporter, but saddened that it probably means Gematsu was indeed accurate early on and the missing characters are the Chorus Kids.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The choices you mentioned were some of the most popular RH characters, in Smashboards.
Though Wrestler and the Choir Kids are an icon in memes.
No RH characters were popular in Smashboards prior to the leak. Like, none. Almost everybody wrote that series off as having no playable potential like Nintendogs and Pilotwings. There was the odd supporter of one of those characters, but to say any of them had popularity would be untrue.

And I know the Wrestler had become a meme prior to the leak, but Chorus Kids were pretty obscure to most. Which meme are you referring to?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
No RH characters were popular in Smashboards prior to the leak. Like, none. Almost everybody wrote that series off as having no playable potential like Nintendogs and Pilotwings. There was the odd supporter of one of those characters, but to say any of them had popularity would be untrue.

And I know the Wrestler had become a meme prior to the leak, but Chorus Kids were pretty obscure to most. Which meme are you referring to?
There are a couple of fan parodies of the Glee Club minigame...though not nearly as prevalent as the Ringside meme.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There are a couple of fan parodies of the Glee Club minigame...though not nearly as prevalent as the Ringside meme.
Is that really a meme though? There are a couple parodies of several RH minigames... and none of them are/were individually well known like the wrestler one.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Here are the UI icons for The Virus:

<-- Stock icon. Most likely a place holder (other enemies such as Ridley and Metal Face have a stock icon).
From RandomTalkingBush.
So what were the Viruses planned to be? Items? Assist Trophies? Stage bosses? Playable characters?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah, preleak, it was just me and a few others. ;(

Rhythm Heaven is oft parodied as a whole, but Ringside is on another level. That said, I really doubt giving birth to popular parodies would give you a spot in the roster. :V

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
So what were the Viruses planned to be? Items? Assist Trophies? Stage bosses? Playable characters?
The Virus was most likely going to be stage bosses, due to their order in char_db, and the fact that these icons only exist in places where other stage bosses icons exist.

D

Deleted member

I do find that the fact that the Ice Climber franchise isn't listed under the files while Rhythm Heaven is to be quite interesting.
Maybe the Chorus Kids weren't cut for the same reason the Ice Climbers were (couldn't function on 3DS)? That maybe they were the victims of time not allowing development on a complex concept? We know that Bowser Jr. was almost axed, so it could be the singing trio were just not as lucky as Jr.

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I've found a number of memes of the Chorus Men when I actually looked for them.

But prior to Gematsu, I had never heard of Rhythm Heaven, let alone any of its memes. (Does becoming an obscure meme really count as being "iconic?")

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I think RH 'deserves' a spot on the roster. They had several games, over several Nintendo systems and are definitely a part of Nintendo's history.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
And it clearly has a future.

Also iconic is really nothing but a buzzword at this point.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well regardless of the reason for being cut, if they don't wind up as DLC I imagine they stand in an extremely good stead for next time around.

No, in fact the only reason I ever knew about them was because I watched the original video because of...
Wait for it:
The leak.
Mhmm.

There's no doubt that if they had ended up included they would've become the face of RH, and I think they're a good choice for the series, but prior to the leak they were hardly as iconic to RH as some of the alternatives. Though in the RH, even including the wrestler, it's a stretch to call any character "iconic".

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm pretty sure the RH character in question is the Chorus Men. Them getting cut makes a lot more sense than any individual RH character.

Okay... what's your point though? The only iconic one of the bunch there is Marshall.
Marshall is an evolution of the Chorus Men. He basically the current version of the Chorus Men.

Chorus Men = Marshall... more or less.

Why do I have the feeling that right Karate Joe is being dismissed for the same reason Chorus Kids are being praised?
If you are talking about the blank slate thing, I disagree. Karate Joe would pretty much HAVE to do at least some kicking and punching. The only thing the Chorus Men HAVE to do is sing, which is an awesome thing for a character from a rhythm game to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom