• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroManGS

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3050-7721-8262
So, once the game does finally launch, what characters do we want to play the most?

Personally, I'm gonna pick up Pit straight away. He seems to be easy to get to grips with and works well with my playing style, so it's a natural choice for me. I'll spend a lot of time and effort getting good as himself and Palutena; more so learning how to play as the latter, as her fighting style is something new and interesting to me. It's gonna be fun, though - learning how to play your most beloved characters, veterans and newcomers alike, is half the fun of Smash!
Veterans:
-Mario/ Dr Mario (if he is)
-DeDeDe
-Sonic
-Jigglypuff (we know that she's in)
-Link

Newcomer:
-Shulk
-Mega Man
-Little Mac
-Lucina
-Robin

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I see. I will apologize if I am wrong, but it seems to me that you are young. It's difficult for me to know when we're on an online forum, but I am over 20 years old, so it's a shift for me.

Growing up with the Super Smash Bros. series, I always wanted Little Mac. But if he doesn't get in, that doesn't ruin the game for me, because more than, Super Smash Bros. is my favorite video game series, and Nintendo is pretty much one of my favorite things ever. I simply can't be upset at the prospect of a collective crossover of my favorite video game series ever, even if it doesn't include my favorite character.

You can still hope. We don't know if Wolf is cut, you can advocate for him as DLC if he is, and even if those don't happen, you can wish for his return in the next game. I just don't see the point in denying yourself this game even if it doesn't have your favorite character.

If Wolf was really the sole reason you played SSB, then so be it; I won't judge you. But I would find it odd since Wolf is part of the Star Fox series, and I would assume you enjoy that series and could at least enjoy Fox in SSB4.

The main theme of the Star Fox series is the teamwork of the Star Fox team; having the team work together to accomplish missions. Wolf plays a part as a rival, which is significant, but not as significant as the teammates, who are central to the adventure, or the main villain, who is the entire motive behind the adventure.

Wolf is cool, but he's hardly a central part of the games. They gave him much larger roles in newer Star Fox games, but there are still generally more important villainous Nintendo characters we have yet to see, such as K. Rool and Ridley. In the face of those, I don't believe Wolf is as big of a priority.
Okay then thats your prerogative and honestly there would be no way for me to change it unless you were a wishy washy person, you have played and interpreted the game in your own way and im not gonna bash you for that.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
As I said with the previous post, there are people that have said they wouldnt get the game without Ridley in it. And I get that. As such, I get that Wolf can be a deal breaker as well.

The reason why we perceive Wolf as different because we've done all this analysis about character likelihood and chances and blah blah blah. But really, it's all bunk.

The character I will pick up first will be Lucina, as I was a Roy main in Melee and love the character. I really want more time playing with Little Mac, as he is perfect for me because my air game isnt so good. Finally, I'll play as Mega Man because it would be nice to play as Mega Man officially in a video game once again. I played as Little Mac and Mega Man at SDCC, but not enough time.

With veterans, I'll try Ike and Link as those were my mains in Brawl and 64 respectively.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Sakurai: Here it is, the next Smash Bros! We've spent a long time perfecting it to the point that you will all have a fun time with it! It's got fluid gameplay, tons of stages, and a wide variety of characters!

Sakurai: At least 48, maybe more! Unfortunately, like I said a year ago, we may have had to cut some characters. I'm sorry to say that Ice Climbers, Snake, Wolf-

BUT LAST GAME, LAST GAME HAD WOLF!

Sakurai: Well, um, yes, but remember, I may have not even shown them all to you! And hey, I could add them in as DLC later! And besides, I've added in a ton of new things that I'm sure you'll like and have fun with!

I DONT CARE HOW FUN THEY ARE!

And people wonder why Sakurai is stressed and ill from the effort of making these games :urg:
Even though I want Wolf an insane amount this did crack me up. (Even though there is no guarantee wolf will be Dlc :urg:) (and certain concepts here are arguable)

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Unpopular opinion: Wolf is one of the best Nintendo characters; however, Sakurai's interpretation of Wolf always bothered me as it did not feel as though he was Wolf. Instead of demonstrating his intelligence, he was given an animalistic or primal stance. He was obviously designed around being completely and utterly different than Fox. I always felt as though there were more similarities than differences and that a Falco-esque approach would have been more ideal. Sakurai's reason for adding Falco over Wolf was ridiculous and Wolf should have been a Melee veteran in the same vein as Falco whereas Falco should not have been included. However, I do prefer that Wolf is cut so that he is not "stuck" in a Falcondorf situation. Perhaps he might return properly in the future. For the time being, the cameo as a costume is good enough for me.

Albeit, I do not believe he is cut. This is just in the event of his untimely removal. It happens to the best of Nintendo characters. First Mewtwo, now Wolf, next is Ganondorf... mark my words.

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
Sakurai: Here it is, the next Smash Bros! We've spent a long time perfecting it to the point that you will all have a fun time with it! It's got fluid gameplay, tons of stages, and a wide variety of characters!

Sakurai: At least 48, maybe more! Unfortunately, like I said a year ago, we may have had to cut some characters. I'm sorry to say that Ice Climbers, Snake, Wolf-

BUT LAST GAME, LAST GAME HAD WOLF!

Sakurai: Well, um, yes, but remember, I may have not even shown them all to you! And hey, I could add them in as DLC later! And besides, I've added in a ton of new things that I'm sure you'll like and have fun with!

I DONT CARE HOW FUN THEY ARE!

And people wonder why Sakurai is stressed and ill from the effort of making these games :urg:
oh my god this post is glorious

We could talk about how Ike's a bad influence to children. :p
omg you guys

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Unpopular opinion: Wolf is one of the best Nintendo characters; however, Sakurai's interpretation of Wolf always bothered me as it did not feel as though he was Wolf. Instead of demonstrating his intelligence, he was given an animalistic or primal stance. He was obviously designed around being completely and utterly different than Fox. I always felt as though there were more similarities than differences and that a Falco-esque approach would have been more ideal. Sakurai's reason for adding Falco over Wolf was ridiculous and Wolf should have been a Melee veteran in the same vein as Falco whereas Falco should not have been included. However, I do prefer that Wolf is cut so that he is not "stuck" in a Falcondorf situation. Perhaps he might return properly in the future. For the time being, the cameo as a costume is good enough for me.

Albeit, I do not believe he is cut. This is just in the event of his untimely removal. It happens to the best of Nintendo characters. First Mewtwo, now Wolf, next is Ganondorf... mark my words.
I agree quite a bit but I loved wolfs playstyle (but Im all for updating it more) and I cant stand the alt. But I do wonder how do you would go about showing off wolfs intelligence, I mean its clear in starfox games that he is very smart but Idk how you could show it off in a moveset especially when it comes to hand to hand combat Im sure wolf would fight like a beast. ( pun intended.)

Last edited:

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388

Personally, I agree. Just on the last part, It will be Bowser Jr. cut.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I agree quite a bit but I loved wolfs playstyle (but Im all for updating it more) and I cant stand the alt. But I do wonder how do you go about showing off wolfs intelligence, I mean its clear in starfox games that he is very smart but Idk how you could show it off in a moveset especially when it comes hand to hand Im sure wolf would fight like a beast. ( pun intended.)
Oh, this is probably my own fault; however, before Wolf was included, I always envisioned him with an epic idle stance where his hands are behind his back while he maintains proper gentlemanly posture. I suppose it is difficult to convey his intelligence.
:dazwa:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Oh, this is probably my own fault; however, before Wolf was included, I always envisioned him with an epic idle stance where his hands are behind his back while he maintains proper gentlemanly posture. I suppose it is difficult to convey his intelligence.
Interesting, I dont know where you got gentleman part from him but he is honorable thats for sure.

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
Lolololololololol

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
I think I have a new point of discussion that I have not read or discussed on here. Or at least not recently.

SSBBrawl had 12 unannounced characters that were secret at launch. 8 of them were veterans and 4 were newcomers. (T.Link, Wolf, Rob, Lucario.) :toonlink::lucario::wolf::rob:

http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/characters/index.html

For smash bros 4. If the ESRB leak is the final roster, then we have: 10 unannounced characters that will be secret at launch. 6 being veterans and 4 are newcomers. (Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Bowser Jr. DHD.) Even then, Dr. Mario being new is debatable. Let's just say he is a newcomer, by Sakurai to be conservative.

Doesn't it seem weird that Smash 4 would have a lower number of secret characters unannounced than it's predecessor? (12 versus 10) . That the games both have 4 as the number of newcomers unannounced? Also that the 4 unannounced newcomers from smash4 also is two clones and only two true newcomers?

Sure seems like there could be more secret unannounced newcomers. Maybe Ridley, is meant to be experienced by playing the game and having that "New challenger approaching" nostalgia. But for those like me and won't be able to wait, can go to the website after release, like the Brawl dojo, and have it revealed.

Thoughts? Did I make any mistakes?

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
I hope Sakurai puts up a section on the website with all the hidden characters (akin to Brawl's Dojo) this week. With such a delay before the international release people would need to boycott the internet for a month just to have surprise Smash characters. If youtube videos spoiling the SSE bothered him so much then surely 90% of the world finding out about Mewtwo's return, or whoever, through miiverse screenshots should be completely unacceptable to him.

But then if a recolored Pit is a character and Wolf might not be, and all seven Koopalings get their own model while Daisy is just a recolour... Sakurai's mind works (if you can say that) in mysterious ways.

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
I hope Sakurai puts up a section on the website with all the hidden characters (akin to Brawl's Dojo) this week. With such a delay before the international release people would need to boycott the internet for a month just to have surprise Smash characters. If youtube videos spoiling the SSE bothered him so much then surely 90% of the world finding out about Mewtwo's return, or whoever, through miiverse screenshots should be completely unacceptable to him.

But then if a recolored Pit is a character and Wolf might not be, and all seven Koopalings get their own model while Daisy is just a recolour... Sakurai's mind works (if you can say that) in mysterious ways.
Recolored Pit? @ Morbi Morbi , can you deal with this?
:troll:

Morbi

Scavenger

No; his mind does not work in mysterious ways. It is more accurate to assert that he made a blatant contradiction to excuse himself from providing the single-player standard that he established in Brawl. I do not blame him, of course. But that is quite clearly why there is no SSE.

Regardless, we will not need his character webpages once the game launches anyways.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Wolf fans, look at it this way:

Metal Gear and Smash have been two of my favorite gaming franchises. It was awesome to have Snake in Brawl and I hold on to the hope that he will be in the new one in some playable form (unlockable, DLC).

Odds aren't that great that he will be back, but its possible.

If he doesn't come back, I can always simply just play Brawl when I want to play as that character. Was an added bonus that two of my favorite series and characters overlapped, and since it already happened before, it will always still be there.

Morbi

Scavenger

Metal Gear and Smash have been two of my favorite gaming franchises. It was awesome to have Snake in Brawl and I hold on to the hope that he will be in the new one in some playable form (unlockable, DLC).

If he doesn't come back, I can always simply just play Brawl when I want to play as that character. Was an added bonus that two of my favorite series and characters overlapped, and since it already happened before, it will always still be there.
We could do that, or perhaps we could do something entirely outlandish. We could use the Wolf inspired Fox palette and just pretend that it is Wolf using our... imaginations! No? Okay.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I think I have a new point of discussion that I have not read or discussed on here. Or at least not recently.

SSBBrawl had 12 unannounced characters that were secret at launch. 8 of them were veterans and 4 were newcomers. (T.Link, Wolf, Rob, Lucario.) :toonlink::lucario::wolf::rob:

For smash bros 4. If the ESRB leak is the final roster, then we have: 10 unannounced characters that will be secret at launch. 6 being veterans and 4 are newcomers. (Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Bowser Jr. DHD.) Even then, Dr. Mario being new is debatable. Let's just say he is a newcomer, by Sakurai to be conservative.

Doesn't it seem weird that Smash 4 would have a lower number of secret characters unannounced than it's predecessor? (12 versus 10) . That the games both have 4 as the number of newcomers unannounced? Also that the 4 unannounced newcomers from smash4 also is two clones and only two true newcomers?
this is exaclty what i mean

MagnesD3

Smash Master

I don't wanna sound mean but snake really doesn't belong in smash (even tho I want him back since he made it in the first place). Wolf is a Nintendo character who deserves to be in, him being cut says he wasn't important enough to be included and that can drive a fan crazy (also I want to see wolf in hd and I want him buffed)

Ps I'm a huge mgs fan.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord

Sure seems like there could be more secret unannounced newcomers. Maybe Ridley, is meant to be experienced by playing the game and having that "New challenger approaching" nostalgia. But for those like me and won't be able to wait, can go to the website after release, like the Brawl dojo, and have it revealed.

I think we're getting two more unique newcomers. I don't think we'd get only 2 unlockable non-clone newcomers. Even in Melee and its rather small number of non-clone newcomers, we had gotten three unlockable newcomers with unique movesets.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't wanna sound mean but snake really doesn't belong in smash (even tho I want him back since he made it in the first place). Wolf is a Nintendo character who deserves to be in, him being cut says he wasn't important enough to be included and that can drive a fan crazy (also I want to see wolf in hd and I want him buffed)

Ps I'm a huge mgs fan.
Wolf does not need Sakurai's blessing to be considered one of the most prominent Nintendo characters.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace

My thoughts:

It would be interesting & weird if the given ESRB leak is final (which is not, hopefully), then we'd only have about 12 unannounced characters left to unlock based on the Japanese Demo consisting of 36 starters. 12. . . . . . . Unlocking them all 'no-lifing' Sm4sh we'd get the entire roster practically in less than 24 hours. . There's no fun in unlocking the roster if it takes no more than a week of casually playing the game. It's a turn-off of satisfaction / game-play progressing in the game regardless of players rushing to get the characters or not. So much development were put into these 2 version of Smash while the entire roster is completed & all set in a matter of days, is disappointing (for the players who aren't rushing).

This points to the strong possibility that there is in fact more newcomers / veterans To Be Announced. I would of hoped Sakurai made unlocking the characters more difficult this time around just so the time it takes to fully unlock the roster is worth seeing it all unveil before our very eyes.

There really is a lot of fishy things going on when we have palettes that resemble or are other characters, & clone characters that could of just been palettes in the beginning. If I'm going to proceed treating the roster & everyone in it as a number, then I'd say it's quite petty to see 3 as pads for blowing up the roster's size. Looking at the roster from each individual character as a fighter, then I'd say this roster has loads of merit & meaning to many franchises new & old. Only having 4 newcomers that are left hidden is not stepping it up compared to Brawl after all, so lets see that rise!

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I know it's just he deserves to be in beside the other all stars since he is an all star.
Have you ever considered this: Wolf is too cool for Smash. He just does not want to bother showing up again, or perhaps he lost the stolen blue-prints to the Landmaster?

Regardless, that is precisely why Wolf is going nowhere. He is an all-star, more so than Falco. At the very least, they had better cut Falco from all-star mode and use Fox's "Wolf" palette instead.

ActionHankBeard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ActionHankBeard
All this Wolf talk. Whatever man. The Wii U version already has my money. The game is guaranteed to be fun. I've yplayed a Smash Bros game that was

Morbi

Scavenger
All this Wolf talk. Whatever man. The Wii U version already has my money. The game is guaranteed to be fun. I've yplayed a Smash Bros game that was
It is a Wolf eat (Duck Hunt) dog world. :denzel:

But seriously, I just thought about something. For the same reason that our precious Dark Pit was included as a character, Wolf will be included as a character. We NEED an Amiibo of Wolf to coincide with Star Fox U. There is your evidence. Wolf confirmed.

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
I see. I will apologize if I am wrong, but it seems to me that you are young. It's difficult for me to know when we're on an online forum, but I am over 20 years old, so it's a shift for me.

Growing up with the Super Smash Bros. series, I always wanted Little Mac. But if he doesn't get in, that doesn't ruin the game for me, because more than, Super Smash Bros. is my favorite video game series, and Nintendo is pretty much one of my favorite things ever. I simply can't be upset at the prospect of a collective crossover of my favorite video game series ever, even if it doesn't include my favorite character.

You can still hope. We don't know if Wolf is cut, you can advocate for him as DLC if he is, and even if those don't happen, you can wish for his return in the next game. I just don't see the point in denying yourself this game even if it doesn't have your favorite character.

If Wolf was really the sole reason you played SSB, then so be it; I won't judge you. But I would find it odd since Wolf is part of the Star Fox series, and I would assume you enjoy that series and could at least enjoy Fox in SSB4.

The main theme of the Star Fox series is the teamwork of the Star Fox team; having the team work together to accomplish missions. Wolf plays a part as a rival, which is significant, but not as significant as the teammates, who are central to the adventure, or the main villain, who is the entire motive behind the adventure.

Wolf is cool, but he's hardly a central part of the games. They gave him much larger roles in newer Star Fox games, but there are still generally more important villainous Nintendo characters we have yet to see, such as K. Rool and Ridley. In the face of those, I don't believe Wolf is as big of a priority.

Oh please, shut up. You're being little more than a pretentious dickwad and you need to pull the ****ing yardstick out of your ass before you choke on it.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
It is a Wolf eat (Duck Hunt) dog world. :denzel:

But seriously, I just thought about something. For the same reason that our precious Dark Pit was included as a character, Wolf will be included as a character. We NEED an Amiibo of Wolf to coincide with Star Fox U. There is your evidence. Wolf confirmed.
Wolf amibo, Ridley amibo, Shelf :) (Yo I be gettin that fox and falco amibo too...)

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Oh please, shut up. You're being little more than a pretentious ****wad and you need to pull the ****ing yardstick out of your *** before you choke on it.
If you're going to insult me, do it on topic. Leave it out of a thread and PM me if you have such a big problem.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
My thoughts:

It would be interesting & weird if the given ESRB leak is final (which is not, hopefully), then we'd only have about 12 different newcomers to unlock based on the Japanese Demo consisting of 36 starters. 12. . . . . . . .12 different newcomers. Unlocking them all 'no-lifing' Sm4sh we'd get the entire roster practically in less than 24 hours. . There's no fun in unlocking the roster if it takes no more than a week of casually playing the game. It's a turn-off of satisfaction / game-play progressing in the game regardless of players rushing to get the characters or not. So much development were put into these 2 version of Smash while the entire roster is completed & all set in a matter of days, is disappointing (for the players who aren't rushing).

This points to the strong possibility that there is in fact more newcomers / veterans To Be Announced. I would of hoped Sakurai made unlocking the characters more difficult this time around just so the time it takes to fully unlock the roster is worth seeing it all unveil before our very eyes.

There really is a lot of fishy things going on when we have palettes that resemble or are other characters, & clone characters that could of just been palettes in the beginning. If I'm going to proceed treating the roster & everyone in it as a number, then I'd say it's quite petty to see 3 as pads for blowing up the roster's size. Looking at the roster from each individual character as a fighter, then I'd say this roster has loads of merit & meaning to many franchises new & old. Only having 4 newcomers that are left hidden is not stepping it up compared to Brawl after all, so lets see that rise!
I hope that there are in fact more characters left to be unlocked, but I could also see it staying as is. My thoughts on that are that Sakurai may want us to experience as many characters as possible right from the outset. There may be plenty of different reasons for this, one of them being an attempt to be more "open." Essentially, if Sakurai and Nintendo reveal nearly all the characters to us prior to the game's release, then the leakers can't beat them to the punch. They've technically already failed on that front, but I could see this as Sakurai employing this as a strategy to combat the internet and get ahead of the curve to avoid what happened with Brawl. It's more like 'here are these amazing characters. Have fun with them right away and enjoy yourself.' Obviously this ignores the fact that a lot of the fun and challenge in the game comes from seeing the "New Challenger Approaching" screen and unlocking them yourself.

That's just my take on things.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Oh please, shut up. You're being little more than a pretentious ****wad and you need to pull the ****ing yardstick out of your *** before you choke on it.
Darn, I've heard that Smash 4 has been a lot more laid back than Brawl speculation was. I'd hate to see Brawl speculation if this is laid back compared to it...

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
If you're going to insult me, do it on topic. Leave it out of a thread and PM me if you have such a big problem.
Considering the last bit of the thread has been filled with your inane holier-than-thou masturbation, I'd say it's perfectly on topic.

"Oh look at me, I'm more than twenty but I still think commenting on people's age gives me an intellectual edge in the discussion. Oh, look how I take one word out of the dictionary as uber literal ****ing gospel. Gotta respect them trigger-words! Oh, look how I, the bigger man, will respond to public call-outs publicly but insist that confrontation be performed in private where people won't become privvy to how much of a ****wad I am."

Give me a break.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I was going to argue that Ike's sword got shorter.

However, that does not seem to be the case, seeing that his sword didn't get ripped at all.:awesome:
Well, it's common knowledge that when you 'roid up, appendages can shrink XD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom